Messages in this topic - RSS
7/9/2012 1:14:38 PM
duckbunni
duckbunni
Posts 67
Fibre Content: 100% Merino Wool
Made In: Argentina
Care: Hand Wash, Cold/ Dry Flat
Knit: 18 st/4 inches 4.0-5.0 mm (US 6-8)
Yardage: 115 m (127 yards)
Size: 50 g (1.75 oz) skein
Price: US$3.38

Creamy soft, aran weight pure merino, with amazing yardage!

Standard price for this yarn is US$7.50 - elann.com discounted price saves you as much as 55%!

Unblocked, Blocked & Rav page

Some people love this. Some people don’t. The majority of comments note that the dye bleeds of on needles and fingers while knitting. I didn’t have that problem. Other comments noted splitsville. I had no problems with the yarn splitting on me, even after frogging the whole first swatch and reknitting it using larger needles.

I do have to say that this is not one of the softest merinos in the world, though. I was surprised to see the fiber content listed as merino, as it feels much more like Cascade 220 or Patons Classic, with a bit of a crunch to it while knitting. Post block it was softer, but those of you who are sensitive will still not find it as soft as other merinos out there.

The yarn broke with a good, hard tug. It’s made up of 10 plies (prolly why people complained of the splitting - think Berroco Comfort), which give good stitch definition. Couldn’t bring up any pills.

Frankly, I think it’d make great felting projects. One project was the French Press slippers and they looked fantastic! My only true peeve was that gauge could be an issue. Elann states it at 18s/4” on US6-8. So what needle do I use? Rav has it at 16-20s/4” on US6-8 (so to me, that’s 16/4 on 8’s and 20/4 on 6’s). So I started on 6’s and frogged and moved to 8’s. I was getting 22s/3.25” on the 6’s - WAYYYY off gauge (unblocked). So you are really going to need to swatch and block to be certain of matching gauge in projects where size really matters.

I’m certain this will have a place for lots of you, especially if you prefer a more muted, on the pastel side color palette.

Notes:
- US6 metal - gauge was way off, switched to US8 metal for final swatch/gauge
- Unblocked gauge - 20s/3.5”, 6.5rpi
- Blocked gauge - 20s/3.75”, 7rpi
- Broke with a good, hard tug
- Didn’t pill
- Didn’t split (for me), but could
- Dye rubs off on hands and needles
- Merino, but woolier
- Somewhat soft after a bath
pages: 1
HomeProduct ChatTues, 7/10 - Aslan Trends Del Cerro