HomeTechnique Chatnew to knitting..
Messages in this topic - RSS
6/11/2012 9:57:05 PM
jenn_and_selena
jenn_and_selena
Posts 1
Hello everyone!

I'm an avid crafter and have always wanted to learn how to knit. Scratch that.. when I was a kid I knit the longest scarf but had NO idea how to end it... so, I'm here, looking for tips, help, wisdom.. ANY suggestions on the following would be so greatly appreciated...

In the area of starting to develop my knitting skills (of which there really are none other than ambition right now),

- what supplies I NEED to have to start
- what types of projects are good for beginners
- web references for learning to knit - different stitches, etc.
- how to follow a pattern - do they all tell you how much yarn you will need?
- How do I know what type to get? Can I use any yarn to start??

...and any other pearls of wisdom that you can share.. I would be deeply grateful for your offerings.

Many thanks!
Jenn

--
Will you be my knitting mentor?
<><><><><><><><><><>
new to the knitting world.. teaching myself but need some pointers on getting started, good beginning projects.... HELP!
6/12/2012 12:56:21 PM
maggie
maggie
Posts 59
Hi Jen,

Thanks for your post in our Chat Center. I would love to give you some tips and ideas for begining your knitting adventure.

-what supplies I NEED to have to start - patience would be the first supply, you may need a lot of it. Needles, pattern, yarn, you might also need stitch holders and or markers.

- what types of projects are good for beginners - This depends on your level of bravery. My first project was a pullover with a Fair Isle pattern on the yoke. I will see if I can find a few links for you to look at.

- web references for learning to knit - different stitches, etc. - our web site is great to start with. You tube is awesome for videos on learning new stitches, different cast on and offs, almost anything you need is there.

- how to follow a pattern - do they all tell you how much yarn you will need? - Every pattern will list the amount of yarn needed for each size, as well as the needle size required, all abbreviations and any charts you might need.

- How do I know what type to get? Can I use any yarn to start?? The pattern you chose will tell you the yarn they reccomend. However, the important thing is to get your gauge. This means knitting a swatch to see if the needle size they reccommend gets you the correct number of stitches to 4". You can always find a substitute yarn for any pattern and that's where I come in. By emailing me at customerservice@elann.com and including any information you have I can almost always find a substitute yarn for you.

I'll touch base soon with some patterns for you to look at.

all my best,
Maggie
pages: 1
HomeTechnique Chatnew to knitting..