Posts 67
Fibre Content: 46% Viscose Rayon/ 34% Nylon/ 20% Linen
Made In: Italy
Care: Hand Wash/ Dry Flat
Knit: 22 st/4 inches 3.75mm (US 5)
Yardage: 90 m (98 yards)
Size: 50g (1.75 oz) ball
Price: US$3.18

DK weight Merletto blends viscose for sheen, nylon for loft and durability, and linen for perfect polish!

Standard price for this yarn is US$7.95 - Elann discounted price saves you as much as 60%!

Unblocked, Blocked & Ravelry.com yarn page

Like many of the comments, the first thing I noticed about this yarn are the hairy strands that stick out. Most think it’s the rayon, but really it’s the linen strands. The rayon and nylon are smooth, but the linen in this is the coarser bits. It is a bit scratchy and you cannot pull all the hairy bits out. Some are spun in well enough, but for that little 1/2” end sticking out. I imagine you could try to shave it once you had a completed item, but it’d be a toss up if that worked. You can really see them in the unblocked picture.

I had no problems with splitting stitches, but I used dull bamboo needles to knit this. But I did have a problem with that when I frogged, as picking up the loops to put them back on the needles did split the stitches. I, generally, pull the needle right out and rip back 2-3 rows for the frog test and sometimes do it twice.

The unblocked fabric was a bit loose with very uneven stitches. It wanted to roll and wobble all over. But the soak helped it behave. Took care of the roll just fine and did improve the stitch definition, but not all that much.

I got gauge (been getting lucky lately!), but if I were to make a top with this, I’d want to go down a needle size. I think this stuff is gonna grow lengthwise. The rayon and nylon being slippery and shiny, along with linen and no memory will make for a knee dragger sweater if you knit it too loosely. If you want a looser, drapier fabric, then knit it a bit shorter than you would normally to account for growth. I didn’t do a growth test on this, but experience tells me you might want to if you want to determine how much shorter to knit something to account for that growth.

I actually didn’t mind knitting with it. The hand was, oddly, soft and knit up quickly, for it being a slightly scratchy yarn. But there is so much rayon and nylon in this that the linen doesn’t kill your hands.

It’s 8 stranded; 2 shiny and 6 matte. I’m thinking the shiny is the nylon and the matte is a combo of the linen and rayon. Could absolutely be wrong though. The pictures on Elann make the yarn look like it has white threads, like a silky tweed, but the yarn is actually dyed all the same color. The different fibers take the dye differently, which makes the shiny nylon seem white in the photos. It’s just picking up the light and reflecting it in the photos as white.

Some of you will like this. For me, there’s not enough linen and I’m not fond of shiny. The colors are pretty.

Notes:
- US5 (3.75mm)
- Unblocked gauge: 22s/3.75”, 7rpi
- Blocked gauge: 22s/4”, 7.5rpi
- Splits (for me on reinsertion of needle from a frogging)
- Could not break
- A bit scratchy from the linen hairs sticking out
- Won’t pill
- Uneven stitch definition
- Shiny
- Ironically soft hand
pages: 1
HomeProduct ChatTues, 5/1 - Louisa Harding Merletto