Messages in this topic - RSS
4/16/2012 4:20:13 AM
duckbunni
duckbunni
Posts 67
Fibre Content: 74% Cotton/ 26% Nylon
Made In: Italy
Care: Hand Wash/ Dry Flat
Knit: 15-16 st/4 inches 5.0-5.5mm (US 8-9)
Yardage: 73 m (80 yards)
Size: 50g (1.75 oz) ball
Price: US$2.38

A quick-knitting chunky weight cotton blend boucle with a rich texture and beautifully saturated colors.

Standard price for this yarn is US$7.95 - elann.com discounted price saves you as much as 70%!

Unblocked, Blocked and Ravelry link

Not a lot of projects and no comments! This is a pretty typical cotton boucle yarn. It reminded me quite a lot of the Elsebeth Lavold Bamboucle offered awhile ago. The boucle nubs are pretty small, so with blunt tips and larger needles, I had no problems with snagging. It even frogged well enough, not getting too stuck on itself. I did have to be careful with the reinsert of the needle into the stitch loops, though. A couple times, I didn’t get the complete stitch on the first try.

My unblocked swatch came up a bit short on making gauge, but I wasn’t too worried since I figure the cotton in it would make up for it in the wash. I was right. This is why you always want to dunk your swatch and let it dry. Gauge really can change quite a bit after a bath. Although, I do have to say that it was nearly impossible to count row gauge, what with my having the black color to swatch! Had to put a needle through each stitch to count it!

The swatch behaved well after the block, smoothing it out and making it very even. You can see in the unblocked photo how out of shape that little rectangle is. It looks and feels much like terrycloth. The pill test shows it may pill, but who is going to see them on the nubby fabric? LOL The pill test actually helped with the softness. The swatch was a little stiff after it had dried and wasn’t awfully soft. But a good rub and it softened right up. This is probably going to be one of those yarns that gets softer with use. I’ve had cotton sweaters that are stiff as boards once they’ve air dried, but softened right up once I put it on and wore it.

There’s not a whole lot of memory in this yarn, even with the higher nylon content, so it’s not going to hold ribbing well. One project did have cables in it, which surprisingly, showed up well enough, but frankly, I wouldn’t go to the bother. There’s enough going on with a boucle yarn.

Would make great kitchen towels, facecloths, even a summer baby blanket.

Notes:
- US9 (5.5mm) metal blunt tip
- Preblocked gauge: 15s/3.5”, 5.5rpi
- Blocked gauge: 15s/4”, 5rpi (got gauge, spot on!)
- Will pill (but who will see them?)
- Frogged well
- Be careful of reinserting needles after a full needles-out frog (not just tinking back)
- Did not snag on boucle nubs
- Stiff once dry, softens with use
pages: 1
HomeProduct ChatTues, 4/17 - Nashua Handknits Zinnia