HomeProduct ChatA-Series DK01 70% Silk/ 30% Camelhair
Messages in this topic - RSS
1/2/2014 8:26:31 AM
MacChick
MacChick
Posts 3590
Pretty amazing! I sent it through the washing machine on cold: no shrinking, no pilling, looked great. Why did I do that? Because I wanted to know how it would look after getting beaten in an extreme spin cycle. You know, to simulate years of abuse. Impressive. You want to know that long after you're dead, your ancestors will still be honored to wear the stuff you created. And in the meantime, you definitely want your work to look brand-new every time you put it on. Also, while we're testing this yarn, let it be noted that it survived the "itch test" beautifully (this from a person who cannot even wear angora or cashmere without getting little red bumps wherever skin contact is made).

Now here comes a cool surprise... if I use it this yarn to re-knit the Diamond Raglan Pullover which took 9 balls of Pamir yarn… I will only need 2 hanks of this yarn! The yardage is that amazing! Do the math! It's exciting.. I'm running around plugging the yardage into a bunch of different patterns… I can knit things for nieces and nephews out of JUST ONE HANK… and the drape is so luxurious.

And all of that without even mentioning the soft warmth of camel hair. So let's just tell it like it is: camel hair is amazing. Camel hair is never anything less than amazing. But it is pretty rare to find a camel hair yarn where the halo has been preserved. Camel halo is not like mohair halo. Mohair halo makes the knitting a little more problematic and the ripping of mistakes sometimes impossible. Camel hair halo is smoother, less sticky, less dense. Mohair halo is cotton candy; camel halo is fog. Mohair halo is an angel yelling, "Look at me!" while camel hair halo is an angel just being there. It is subtle; it does not tangle; it lets go instead of holding on, it's barely visible, and, for some reason, it's usually all gone by the time the fiber comes out as yarn. Not this time! This yarn would probably be best for loosely knit and lace stitches to show off the drape while letting that subtle camel hair halo provide surprising warmth.

If you are, or know of, a shawl-knitter, please do not let this yarn escape notice. Not many fibers have more angelic drape than silk; not many are warmer than camel hair, and the stitch definition of this particular blend, twist, and color make the finished knit mesmerizing. If someone carefully pieces in the time to make a lace shawl, they deserve to do that artwork in legendary yarns. And if someone precious to you gets cold easily, they deserve to wrap up in this delicate depth.

I bought this yarn because you just don't see camel hair come around very often, and when it does, it's always worth its weight in gold. I saw camel hair, and said, "Ah, that's Elann giving us all an amazing gift on Christmas Eve. The best of 2013 was saved for last." When I received the yarn and saw the rare preserving of the camel halo, I understood why this yarn's release was saved for Christmas eve. Yes, Elann, we see what you did there, and we thank-you. You are simply amazing.
2/2/2014 6:20:19 PM
acb
acb
Posts 1453
It's wonderful to hear from you, Michelle. I'm so happy that you like the new camel/silk yarn, DK01. Thank you so much for your kind words. My new assistant Lynn knit the cowl, and I knit the hat, and it was definitely a treat to knit with. How is Princess Anne?
pages: 1
HomeProduct ChatA-Series DK01 70% Silk/ 30% Camelhair