HomePrevious Website ChatAlternative to P2Tog TBL?
Messages in this topic - RSS
4/26/2007 8:54:13 AM
Someone on one of the dishcloth groups inquired about an alternative to doing P2Tog TBL.

I posted this (wish I could block quote here):

"One of my books says this for an alternative to P2Tog tbl:

Purl 1 stitch, return it to the left hand needle,then with point of right-hand needle pass the next stitch over it and off needle; then slip the stitch back to the right-hand needle."

Then someone else emailed me expressing doubt whether this is a correct alternative to doing P2Tog tbl. I usually read BW as my knitting "Bible", lol, so if this is incorrect, then I have no idea what is. As a newbie knitter, there is probably another alternative which I am completely unaware of. Do you guys know what it might be?

-Marie
http://smariek.blogspot.com
4/26/2007 1:23:14 PM
jimaryfrei@aol.com
jimaryfrei@aol.com
Posts 234
I sure hope you`re right, that there is an alternative, because this maneuver is the worst there is in knitting. I`ve refused to knit a shawl I love (the one Perry Klass wears in her column in Knitter`s) just because you have to P2TogTBL several times on every wrong-side row. Just musing now... Since working through the back loop twists the stitches, wouldn`t it work to twist them before purling them in the ordinary way? That is, slip two purl stitches, one at a time, to the right-hand needle; then slip them back to the left-hand needle, one at a time, slipping as to purl; then purling them together in the usual way? Perhaps one of our technical guru-ladies can tell me what`s wrong with this method, other than its taking a bit more time. Good luck! Mary
4/26/2007 1:59:37 PM
P2TogTBL can be a pain with regular yarn, but I really hate doing it with cotton. Recently, I was thinking of doing the Traveling Vine scarf again, but decided no no no, I`m not going to do P2TogTBL! lol.

-Marie
4/26/2007 5:18:23 PM
Calamintha
Calamintha
Posts 563
First of all, Marie you are not a newbie anymore! Anyone who can design all the beautiful scarves, hats and dishcloths that you have has definitely graduated from newbie status.

Secondly, this is the kind of question I`d probably ask Mouse. If anyone would know she would I think.
4/26/2007 7:48:44 PM
AmyB
AmyB
Posts 383
Best way I`ve found -- and I can do them pretty quickly, too -- is slip the two stitches separately as if to knit, return them to the left needle, them P2tog through the back loops, with the needle going through the second stitch first. Any other method I`ve done doesn`t match the SSK on the front side.

When I`m knitting heavier yarns, (as in DK) I SSK the regular way; in fine lace yarns, I knit 2together through the back loops instead.

Amy
4/26/2007 8:07:23 PM
Sorry, but I`m confused ...which is pretty easy to do!

You said: "slip the two stitches separately as if to knit, return them to the left needle, them P2tog through the back loops, with the needle going through the second stitch first."

I understand slip 1, slip 1, then return to left needle. Then I get confused where you say to "P2tog through the back loops". But isn`t that what we`re trying to avoid in the first place by trying to find an alternative to doing P2Tog tbl?

Very interesting how you choose between SSK and K2Tog tbl. I`ll have to try the latter with finer yarn, if I ever knit with finer yarn...

-Marie
4/27/2007 11:10:46 AM
Sandra D
Sandra D
Posts 4497
Marie,
I just so happened to be doing this maneuver last night (P2TogTBL) when I needed a left slanting decrease on the knit side. This was for back neckline shaping and I only needed to do one, so was not concerned about the tediousness. I did it like AmyB described. The point of getting the stitches twisted by doing the slip as if to knit then putting them back on the left needle is so that you CAN do the purl through the back loops, otherwise it`s near impossible, I tried! You got to have the stitches with the back leg coming first in order to get the right needle behind it and coming forward thru that gap. Vicki Square`s Knitter`s Companion (old edition, new edition has photos, I believe) is what I used as reference...has a clear drawing of it and instructions same as AmyB`s. HTH.
1/10/2014 7:14:45 AM
JtDian
JtDian
Posts 1
Since I had problems with the **p2tog tbl** (that it looks even and lined up properly) and I know a lot of knitters do too, I did a lot of trying and came up with this solution (I just knit those two sts from the front as follows):

* ... you purl right to the 2 sts you should **p2tog tbl** than **turn your work**, working yarn to the back (you're at the front now) lift off the first st from the front with the left needle, lift off the second st from the back. Put the second st back to the right needle and **knit** the first st, than pass the second st over (Slip / knit / pass over). **Turn your work** and put the last knitted/purled st back to the right needle, pull on the yarn and work your cont. sts on the back side. Sounds more complicated than it is - just try !
This way the k2tog, p2tog and the ssk are lined up nicely and neat.
pages: 1
HomePrevious Website ChatAlternative to P2Tog TBL?