duckbunni - all messages by user

7/9/2012 1:14:38 PM
Tues, 7/10 - Aslan Trends Del Cerro Fibre Content: 100% Merino Wool
Made In: Argentina
Care: Hand Wash, Cold/ Dry Flat
Knit: 18 st/4 inches 4.0-5.0 mm (US 6-8)
Yardage: 115 m (127 yards)
Size: 50 g (1.75 oz) skein
Price: US$3.38

Creamy soft, aran weight pure merino, with amazing yardage!

Standard price for this yarn is US$7.50 - elann.com discounted price saves you as much as 55%!

Unblocked, Blocked & Rav page

Some people love this. Some people don’t. The majority of comments note that the dye bleeds of on needles and fingers while knitting. I didn’t have that problem. Other comments noted splitsville. I had no problems with the yarn splitting on me, even after frogging the whole first swatch and reknitting it using larger needles.

I do have to say that this is not one of the softest merinos in the world, though. I was surprised to see the fiber content listed as merino, as it feels much more like Cascade 220 or Patons Classic, with a bit of a crunch to it while knitting. Post block it was softer, but those of you who are sensitive will still not find it as soft as other merinos out there.

The yarn broke with a good, hard tug. It’s made up of 10 plies (prolly why people complained of the splitting - think Berroco Comfort), which give good stitch definition. Couldn’t bring up any pills.

Frankly, I think it’d make great felting projects. One project was the French Press slippers and they looked fantastic! My only true peeve was that gauge could be an issue. Elann states it at 18s/4” on US6-8. So what needle do I use? Rav has it at 16-20s/4” on US6-8 (so to me, that’s 16/4 on 8’s and 20/4 on 6’s). So I started on 6’s and frogged and moved to 8’s. I was getting 22s/3.25” on the 6’s - WAYYYY off gauge (unblocked). So you are really going to need to swatch and block to be certain of matching gauge in projects where size really matters.

I’m certain this will have a place for lots of you, especially if you prefer a more muted, on the pastel side color palette.

Notes:
- US6 metal - gauge was way off, switched to US8 metal for final swatch/gauge
- Unblocked gauge - 20s/3.5”, 6.5rpi
- Blocked gauge - 20s/3.75”, 7rpi
- Broke with a good, hard tug
- Didn’t pill
- Didn’t split (for me), but could
- Dye rubs off on hands and needles
- Merino, but woolier
- Somewhat soft after a bath
7/13/2012 5:30:08 PM
Tues, 6/26 - Crystal Palace Bamboozle LA, LF and LG in the drop-down box below the quantity box are the different dye lots of the particular color.
7/16/2012 8:43:36 PM
Tues, 7/17 - Queensland Pima Fresca Fibre Content: 100% Pima Cotton
Made In: Chile
Care: Hand Wash/ Dry Flat
Knit: 16 st/4 inches 5.00 mm (US 8)
Yardage: 133 m (145 yards)
Size: 100 g (3.5 oz) skein
Price: US$4.18

Big 100g skeins of quick-knitting chunky weight, kettle-dyed, pure pima cotton!

Standard price for this yarn is US$11.95 - elann.com discounted price saves you as much as 65%!

Unblocked, Blocked and Ravelry.com yarn page

So much for bulky cottons yarns. I can see this making beautiful cardigans or sweaters that will end up sagging down to your knees! That being said, it really is a pretty nice yarn. Accessories? Baby blankets? Just not sweaters, unless you’re willing to knit it at a very tight gauge.

One discrepancy to note right away, an annoyance more than anything, but the Elann gauge is for 16 stitches/4 inches on US8’s. On the other hand, Ravelry’s yarn page lists a gauge range of 16-20 stitches/4 inches on US6-9’s. So I was a bit confused what size needles to use. If I’m really supposed to get 16s/4 with the 9’s, then how am I supposed to get it using the 8’s? So I decided to swatch using the Elann stated gauge. Yep, didn’t really get gauge.

The ply, which you can see in the unblocked picture, is 5 or 6 strands; periodically within one ply of finer cotton, a thicker, fluffier ply is spun in. It runs for a bit that way, sometimes overlapping a bit, before going back to just the thinner plies. This makes the yarn more of a thick/thin, but not so much so that it’s really noticeable in the final swatch. It gives it more of a rustic finish, rather than smooth. Because of the fluffier parts, the hand is rather nice, with just a bit of give. I still wouldn’t want to do any k3tog, though.

It blocked out pretty evenly, and was very soft, especially after the pill test. But, it pilled like the devil. (Can you imagine a little horned red man with tiny woolie pills all over?) Comments confirm this.

I couldn’t break it. The finer plies are a bit shiny, so I’m thinking they are mercerized. I didn’t split it, which surprised me. Many comments have this yarn as splitting like crazy. It did frog well, but I only ripped 3 rows one time. If you are going to frog more than once, it may start to fuzz up on you.

Other comments had it shedding, which I didn’t have a problem with. Of course, I only had about 10 yds, so that probably isn’t indicative of what 10 skeins worth might do to your black pants.

At 145 yds, it’s pretty economical. Bulky cottons, and even some worsted weight cottons, usually come with far less yardage. Fewer tails to weave in!

Notes:
- US8 (5mm) metal
- Unblocked gauge - 16s/3.25”, 6.5rpi
- Blocked gauge - 16s/3.75”, 7rpi
- Could not break
- Will pill
- Thick and thin, rustic
- Good yardage
- Frogged well
- May shed
- Very soft
- Nice hand
7/24/2012 5:59:00 AM
Tues, 7/24 - Patons Angora Bamboo Fibre Content: 55% Viscose from Bamboo/ 35% Wool/ 10% Angora
Made In: China
Knit: 20 sts/4 inches 4.5 mm (US 7)
Yardage: 73 m (80 yards)
Size: 50g (1.75 oz) ball
Price: US$3.60

Cuddly soft angora, silky smooth bamboo, and the reliable elasticity of wool - perfect comfort!

Standard price for this yarn is US$7.99 - elann.com discounted price saves you as much as 55%!

Unblocked, Blocked & Ravelry Yarn page link

I had two concerns prior to even picking this one up to swatch. They are the same two concerns that kept me from ever buying any even though I’ve drooled over it often at the big box stores. 1) This sucker sheds and pills like crazy; the swatch at the stores always looked horribly worn. 2) It’s such short yardage for a worsted weight yarn, making the price/yard quite expensive.

I still hold those concerns after swatching. Comment after comment reads like a ode to shedding and pilling. That angora really doesn’t like being tied down and is constantly jumping ship stitch. While I wasn’t covered in brown fuzzies (I had on aqua colored capris, so it would have shown up pretty well), the swatch was giving off a cloud of fluff while I was performing the pill test. But I only had 10 yds to work with, not a whole sweater’s worth. There were enough pills that I wouldn’t have had to refill my prescription for at least another week.

On the good side, it’s lovely to work with otherwise. I had no issues with splitting or frogging. The hand is nice and the final fabric was smooth with great stitch definition and a definite sheen. Don’t use metal needles; wood, bamboo or plastic with grab are the way to go. That slickery (slippery + slick needles) bamboo will make it shed your needles, too! I couldn’t break the yarn.

If you can control the shedding and don’t mind the short yardage, it could make for some beautiful accessories.

Notes:
- US7 (4.5mm) plastic
- Unblocked gauge - 20s/3.75”, 6.5rpi
- Blocked gauge - 20s/4”, 7rpi (hit gauge!!)
- Sheds like a snake in molting season
- Frogged well
- Pill, pill and pill some more
- Short yardage for a worsted
- Couldn’t break
- Lovely hand
- Good stitch definition with sheen
7/31/2012 7:12:16 AM
Tues, 7/31 - Elsebeth Lavold Silky Flamme Fibre Content: 50% Peruvian Wool/ 30% Fine Grade Alpaca/ 20% Silk
Made In: Peru
Knit: 15 st/4 inches 6.0 mm (US 10)
Yardage: 75 m (82 yards)
Size: 50 g (1.75 oz) ball
Price: US$3.48

A luxurious and lustrous thick and thin soft-spun chunky weight.

Standard price for this yarn is US$9.95 - elann.com discounted price saves you as much as 65%!

Unblocked, blocked & Ravelry yarn page link

This one is gonna pill worse than a prescription for a three month supply! Comments confirm. So you need to be willing to shave not only your legs, but this yarn. That being said, for me, it's nice and soft, but a little tickly.

A bit confusing, it’s listed on the Ravelry yarn page as Aran, yet the yardage and suggested needle size both indicate a Bulky. With the thick and thin texture of this yarn, it can certainly be knit at a tighter gauge on smaller needles, but beware that you’ll need a whole lot more yarn!

The hand is lovely, with the resulting fabric rather rustic, yet still having clear stitch definition. There is nice twist on the two plies where it’s thinner. The thicker area seems to be the one ply with the nice twist, plied with the other ply consisting of an intermittent twist/lofty single. The thicker area, with the strand more like a single, might snag if you use really pointy needles. I used blunt needles and still caught my tip once.

I couldn’t break the yarn, which surprised me. It frogged well, without any sign of being knit at all. I kept thinking the whole time I was knitting this one up that it would make a lovely Iced, which, for my size would take about 12 balls of this. Have I mentioned that weaving in bulky ends drives me buggy? There is almost no way of hiding that extra bulk. But I just keep thinking about that pattern. lol I like to torture myself, I guess.

All in all, at this sale price, it’s not a bad choice if you can live with the pilling.

Notes:
- US10 (6mm) bamboo
- Unblocked gauge - 15s/3.75”, 5rpi
- Blocked gauge - 15s/4”, 6rpi (got gauge!)
- Could not break
- Will pill
- Rustic texture, but still good stitch definition
- Silky sheen
- Short yardage for an Aran
- Frogged well
8/13/2012 3:56:34 PM
Tues, 8/14 - Debbie Bliss Fez Fibre Content: 85% Extrafine Merino/ 15% Camel
Made In: Italy
Care: Hand Wash/ Dry Flat
Knit: 18 st/4 inches 5.0mm (US 8)
Yardage: 100 m (109 yards)
Size: 50g (1.75 oz) ball
Price: US$3.98

An aran weight blend of extrafine merino and camel, Italian-spun to creamy soft perfection.

Standard price for this yarn is US$8.95 - elann.com discounted price saves you as much as 55%!

Unblocked, Blocked & Ravelry.com yarn page link

So I’m in agreement with all the comments on the August Peeks thread and in the comments on the yarn page. This one is lovely. And for a DB yarn (which tends to be expensive with short yardage), this isn’t a bad bargain at all!

I had no problems with splitting, frogging, breaking, pilling or hitting gauge. Un-bee-weave-able!

The stitch definition is nice, with plump stitches after a bath that just fill in, but made no noticeable difference in gauge. The hand is lovely, with it flowing off the needles without needing to look or making my hands ache (which they did with that expensive wet spun sportweight linen I’d just used!).

Not a bad color selections, especially if you like pinks and purples. It did tickle my neck the tiniest bit, but I didn’t put conditioner in it’s bath (erm, I ran out. lol) so that might help. I used bamboo needles, but could have easily used metal with no problems. If you want speed, choose metal.

The line forms over ---------->.

Notes:
- US8 (5mm) bamboo
- Preblock and postblock gauge - 18s/4”, 6rpi
- Frogged well
- Did not split
- Could not bring up a pill
- Can knit by feel
- Even stitches, with good definition
- Could not break
- Tiny bit tickly
8/21/2012 5:53:56 AM
Tues, 8/21 - Rowan Silk Twist Fibre Content: 53% Silk/ 30% Wool/ 12% Superkid Mohair/ 5% Polyamide
Made In: Italy
Knit: 17 st/4 inches 5.0 mm (US 8)
Yardage: 85 m (93 yards)
Size: 50 g (1.75 oz) ball
Price: US$5.78

A soft and luxurious aran weight, silk, wool, and superkid mohair blend, in a richly bright and saturated palette. A gleaming single ply of silk is twisted with two fine strands, one ply of delicate superkid mohair, and one ply of sturdy wool/nylon, resulting in luscious, tone-on-tone marled colorways.

Standard price for this yarn is US$12.95 - elann.com discounted price saves you as much as 55%!

Unblocked, Blocked & Ravelry.com yarn page link

Lovely to knit. Beware though, the silk content is gonna make this thing grow faster than Pinocchio’s nose. I didn’t do a hang test (because I didn’t think to), but comments support this growth. My swatch went from 3 1/2” to 4” in width, so for me that’s a pretty significant difference, although row gauge didn’t change (odd, I know). Exceptions might be if you used smaller needles and knit it at a much tighter gauge. The gauge listed does end up being quite fluid and drapey. Blanket or shawl, yes. Fitted garment, maybe not so much (unless you make a really large swatch and do a hang test).

Oh, and it’s gonna pill. Hairy Mo makes sure you’re aware of his presence while knitting, as the swatch was quite fuzzy before the pill test. Even my granddaughter mentioned that she really like how the swatch looked, but boy was it fuzzy. (The 9 yo, not the newborn.) It is quite soft, but for those with issues with tickly yarns, keep that in mind. It isn’t itchy, but Mo will tickle your neck with his Hairs.

I couldn’t break it. It frogged well, but I had to be careful to get all three strands back on the needle properly. I could knit by feel (something which still freaks my husband out, along with typing without looking). The stitches are smooth and even. The blend of the marled colors is quite nice.

Notes:
- US8 (5mm) bamboo
- Unblocked gauge - 17s/3.5”, 6rpi
- Blocked gauge - 17s/4”, 6rpi
- Frogged well, but may split on needle reinsertion
- Did not split while knitting
- Pilling will occur
- Couldn’t break
- Will stretch
- Soft, but tickly
- Even, smooth stitches
- Knit at tighter gauge for garments