duckbunni - all messages by user

5/29/2011 7:00:57 PM
Tues. May 31: JJ Handpainted Mystique Mohair Boucl JJs Handpainted Yarns Mystique Mohair Boucle 12 Ply
Fibre Content: 80% Mohair/ 15% Merino Wool/ 5% Nylon
Made In: New Zealand
Care: Hand Wash/ Dry Flat
Gauge: 14-16 st/4 inches 5.0-6.0 mm (US 8-10)
Yardage: 200 m (216 yards)
Size: 100g (3.5 oz) skein
Price: US$6.88

swatch photos
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“100g skeins of luxurious soft mohair boucle, in rich, hand painted colorways!”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, you all know I’m not particularly fond of boucle. This yarn is very typical of a boucle: kept catching the needle tip in the boucle loops. That drives me batty. Otherwise, it knits up a very soft, fluffy fabric. Knit on the largest suggested size needles, it give a loose fabric, perfect for basic garter or stockinette wraps or blankets. It did shrink just a bit with a tepid bath and air dry, but didn’t affect the drape at all. Don’t bother with intricate lace or cables. They won’t show in all the fluffiness. It didn’t shed at all. That’s great for a mohair.

Most of the projects on Ravelry are of felted handbags, so guess what I did? Yes, I felt this yarn up! I threw it in with my regular load of darks, warm wash/cold rinse, dry in the dryer on high heat. Twice. First time through it was felted, but still a bit loose. Good thing I had two loads of darks to do. Second time, tightened it up more, but it also felted a bit unevenly. But hey, it was a little swatch and I wasn’t watching over it with an eagle eye. It still has some stretch to it though, even after two cycles through. It’s not a nice, tight felting and the boucle loops are still kind of visible. I’m not sure I’d use this to make a felted bag, unless I used it carried along with another good felting wool and knit on 13’s, maybe.

For those of you out there that like boucle, you’ll like this. The colorways match the other JJ handpainteds that have been offered. Lots of pretty colors to choose from, if handpaints are your thing.

Notes:
- US10 plastic needle
- Easily snapped with one good yank
- Would felt better using a good felting, carry-along wool
- Account for 25% shrinkage in stitch width and 50% in row height for post-felted sizing
- Blunter tipped needles may help with snagging the boucle loops
- Absolutely no itch factor at all. (forgot it was under my bra strap!)
- preblock 3.5spi/5rpi
- postblock 4spi/7.5rpi
- felted 4.5spi/11rpi
6/6/2011 4:33:34 AM
Tues. June 7 - Elann Limited Edition Micro Cotton Elann.com Limited Edition Micro Cotton
50% cotton/50% acrylic microfibre
Made in Italy
Machine Wash, cold, gentle/dry flat
DK weight - 23st/4inches 3.5mm (US4)
50g ball - 130m (142y)
Standard Price: $7.95US/$7.63CA
Elann Price: $1.98US/$1.90CA (75% savings)

preblock
postblock

This was a very nice knitting experience. The yarn wasn’t hard on my hands at all to knit and is pretty soft, with a bit of a shine while knitting, but it loses it a little with a wash as it gets just the tiniest bit fluffy.

The construction is 5 strands of 2-ply plied together in a looser twist and I couldn’t break it. The yarn did split a couple times on me, so you will have to pay a bit of attention, but interestingly it was doing it on the purl rows, not the knit rows where I usually have trouble if a yarn is going to be splitty. Weird, huh? lol

The resulting fabric was smooth and even on the suggested size needles and did tighten up a bit after a block. After the wash in the machine and lay flat blocking, it shrank in row height but got wider, as usual with cotton/mixes. For those of you wondering if you can throw it in the dryer, even though it says lay flat to dry, you can (done after a second time through the washer). It will shrink widthwise also besides height. Ask me how I know? The postblock photo is after the dryer and I had started doing the frog test, and thought "Oh... I have to get the postblock picture!" It frogged well and knit back up again no problem.

You could probably go up to a US5 needle with this one and still get a very nice fabric, especially if you are a tight knitter. Since I didn’t get gauge (Elann suggested is 5.75spi), and I don’t knit tight, I think you’d almost have to use a 5 to get gauge.

All in all, I think Elann got it right with this one. I was very happy with the resulting fabric and I’ve been knitting quite a bit with cotton blends lately. I didn’t feel the acrylic in it, but am sure that’s what give it that little bit of shine (almost like a mercerized, but it’s not).

Notes:

- US #4 needle metal
- CO 27, 20 rows
- smooth, cohesive fabric
- Could not break
- No pills, even after a tumble in the dryer
- Blocked first time flat to dry, second time in the dryer
- Preblock gauge: 6.75spi/8.5rpi
- Lay flat block gauge: 6.33spi/9rpi
- Dryer block gauge: 6.75spi/9rpi
6/13/2011 8:48:26 AM
Tues. June 14 - Schoeller Stahl Pantino Schoeller Stahl Pantino
60% cotton/40% acrylic
Made in Romania
Machine wash cold, gentle/dry flat
Aran Weight - 17st/4inches 4.0-5.0mm (US6-8)
50g ball - 90m/98y
Standard Price: $5.95US/$5.71CA
Elann Price: $2.48US/$2.38CA (58% savings)

33 colors (21 of them in lesser quantities). Free pattern offer on Skacel’s website for a cropped jacket.

unblocked and blocked

I CO 21 stitches with the thumb loop. While knitting the first row, the stitches split like crazy (probably because the thumb loop method, for me at least, untwists the yarn). Didn’t split a single stitch after that! The yarn is made up of 18 threads - 3 plies twisted of 6 plies each. It’s a nice twist, not really tight, but definitely not a loose twist. It was really easy to knit and the stitches are pretty even with good definition. Not really certain I’d want an aran weight cotton sweater, but it would be great for baby bibs, hats, washcloths. Those who live in a really warm climate where a heavier cotton sweater in their “cooler” months is their “winter wear” would find this yarn just dandy!

Our power went out just as I was swatching, so I just dunked this in a cold water bath in the sink and swished it around a bit. The washing instructions are for machine wash cold, gentle cycle anyway, so probably not much difference. Laid flat to dry.

If anyone can break this yarn, you should let Guiness Book of World Records know, because it’s very, very sturdy. I couldn’t even break one of the 6 stranded plies alone! While there is acrylic content in this one, I only felt the cotton. It wasn’t hard on the hands to knit though, so the acrylic was doing it’s job adding some “give”.

With 33 colors to choose from, this is one you should give serious consideration to if you want an aran weight cotton blend. My only suggestion is to use the recommended size 6 for a tighter gauge if you are making a garment, unless you want something looser that will droop. I swatched on 8’s and it gave a really nice fabric, but I can see it ending up longer by the end of the day.

Notes:

-US8 metal needles (5mm)
-Could not break
-preblock: 4.75spi/6rpi
-postblock: 4.25spi/7rpi
-lots of colors (though some in lesser quantities)
-Suggested needle size is US6-8 (4-5mm): got gauge on 8’s after blocking. Knit at tighter gauge to help with droop factor.
-Soft, but not fuzzy at all
-Great stitch definition
-Abrasion test showed no pilling (take that for what it’s worth - my abrasion test is rubbing the swatch together vigorously for a few minutes) or signs of wear at all
6/19/2011 2:48:36 PM
Tues. June 21 - Elann Merino Sock Yarn Blank Elann.com Merino Sock Yarn Blank
75% superwash merino/25% nylon
Made in Peru
Machine wash cold, gentle/dry flat
Fingering weight - 28-30st/4inches 2.5-3.0mm (US1-2)
100g blank - 400m/436y
Standard Price: $17.95US/$17.23CA
Elann Price: $12.50US/$12.00CA (30% savings)

“Premium quality sock weight yarn, knit into ready-to-dye blanks!” (ummm..only one color! lol Each blank will knit one pair of socks)

ublocked and blocked

Yep! I hadda! Love this yarn! Nice and springy, didn’t split at all. Knit it up on 1’s magic looped using Judy’s magic cast on, Socktopus’ shadow short rows for the heel and Jeny’s stretchy bind off on the 1x1 rib (following the Teeny Tiny Toe-Up Sock Ornament pattern). 22 stitches around. I machine washed and air dried to block as per label instructions. This yarn bounces back into shape great. The only thing I don’t know is how it takes color. I’ve never dyed anything (killed some things in my lifetime though!). I might have to get some koolaid and have a go.

I couldn’t break this yarn. The stitches are even and smooth, even if my short rows look a tad garpy (new word I just made up). It came out of the wash with just the slightest bit of fuzz, but wouldn’t obstruct any intricate stitches. It’s nice and soft, so I doubt anyone would complain of their feet itching, much less their neck, should this wonderful yarn be made into scarves or shawls or whatnot. I rubbed this little puppy together for a bit and it was just about as fuzzy as when it came out of the wash. I imagine that it might pill if worked at a looser gauge, but it is merino, people.

All in all, I really like this yarn. If you’re looking for a sock blank to try your hand at dying, this is the one. Merino - check. Nylon - check. Good price - check. Good yardage - check.

So who’s gonna give me a tutorial on dying? That, and I’ve always wanted to knit something straight from something that’s already knit.

Note:

- US1 (2.5mm) metal
- 4 ply, tight twist with good bounce
- Couldn’t break
- Might pill at looser gauges
- Didn’t split
- Smooth, even stitches
- Preblock: 10spi/13rpi (gauge as given)
- Postblock: 9.5spi/13.5rpi
edited by duckbunni on 6/19/2011
6/19/2011 6:55:44 PM
Tues. June 21 - Elann Merino Sock Yarn Blank Hi Alice!

Koolaid dying is very intriquing to me. I figure there has to be something good about koolaid in spite of all the stains my carpeting experienced when my kids were little! I'd love to try to get to your retreat next year. I've read about it. Saw Shui's post on Rav about her nettle bath.

Once I get settled in my own place again, I think I'm gonna dabble in some colors.

Linda
6/27/2011 6:41:20 AM
Tues, June 28 - Diamond Luxury Collection Milky Wa Diamond Luxury Collection Milky Way
65% viscose rayon/35% milk sourced viscose
Made in Italy
Hand wash/dry flat
Worsted wieight - 20st/4inches 4.5-5.0mm (US7-8)
50g ball - 135m/147y
Standard Price: $5.95US/$5.71CA
Elann Price: $2.98US/$2.86CA (50% savings)

“Knitted ribbon construction for fabulous drape, with the lustre of silk!” (10 colors and two patterns in the free patterns section using this yarn while yarn quantities last)

unblocked, blocked and yarn construction

This is an interesting yarn as it, to me, isn’t so much a ribbon yarn. It is a knitted tube, rather like a flattened icord. While it does twist whilst knitting, like a flat ribbon yarn tends to do, because of the tubular construction, doesn’t really affect the overall look of the fabric once knitted. It really smoothed out nice and flat with a dunk and dry flat. The stitches evened out somewhat, but this particular type of yarn doesn’t really give you nice smooth, even stitches. It keeps a rather rustic look, reminding me of maybe a slightly slubby yarn style fabric, without the slubs, if that makes sense.

This yarn is all viscose, a portion of which is made from milk protiens, hence the Milky Way name. It is soft and silky, and it really does have a slight sheen to it, yet it’s quite substantive as a fabric. I didn’t get gauge (have I gotten gauge yet with a tuesday yarn?), but am pleased with the fabric I produced. Because of the construction of the yarn, there is quite a bit of elasticity to the knitted fabric. You’ll really want to go with a tighter gauge if you are going to make any tops or wear a cami underneath. I tugged and pulled and yanked on the swatch and it bounced right back to shape every time.

It was an easy knit: no splitting, but I did, once or twice, find that I caught my needle tip on the yarn and it reminded me of a fish stuck in a net. lol Even when that happened, the yarn didn’t snag, but I think it might if you really caught it on something. And it wouldn’t be a snag easily fixed.

Not my cuppa on this one, but I think it would make a great slinky, shimmery, summery shawl in a relatively plain pattern. I doubt this yarn would lend itself to cables or lacework - too slippery.

I’m not hot or cold to this yarn. For 100% manmade viscose rayon, it feels like silk to knit, not a squeaky acrylic. I’m sure some of you will love this yarn. But not Sweaterfreak.

Notes:

- US8 (5mm) bamboo
- 5.75spi/7rpi before and after blocking - it remained unchanged
- Suggested spi of 5 would be way too loose, unless you like the see-through look
- Interesting tubular construction
- Did not pill
- Did not split
- Might catch easily and pull
- Very elastic, once knitted into a fabric, in all directions
- Very soft, with slight sheen
7/4/2011 6:16:24 AM
Tues July 5 - EL Mode Mohair Long Prints LE Mode Mohair Long Prints
Fibre Content: 75% Mohair/ 10% Wool/ 15% Nylon
Made In: Italy
Care: Hand Wash/ Dry Flat
Gauge: 14st/4 inches 7.0 mm (US 10.75)
Yardage: 100 m (109 yards)
Size: 50g (1.75 oz) ball

Luxurious mohair blend with beautiful, long color repeats!

Featured Design: Double Garter Triangular Shawl, designed and knit by Shui Kuen Kozinski, is the perfect format to showcase beautifully long color repeats. With finished measurements of approximately 76” in length by 34” at its longest point, after blocking, it uses 1 ball each of 4 colors of elann.com Limited Edition Mode Mohair Long Prints (colors 118, 109, 207, and 204), and will be available free for the printing in the Free Patterns page of our website while quantities remain!

Standard price for this yarn is US$12.00 - Elann discounted price saves you as much as 67%!

US$3.96

Unblocked Blocked photo to come.

Sweet! I got gauge on this (preblocking). Oh, wait. I had to use US11’s, because I don’t own 10.75mm needles. LOL! But, I did get 14s/4” (10cm) for those of you wondering which needles to use if you don’t have or can’t find 10.75’s. And with mohair, I tend to knit loosely, what with all the extra fuzziness and all.

It didn’t kill me to knit it either (as evidenced by my writing this), but I will say, I still didn’t like it. I’m just not a fuzzy fan. One plus was that it wasn’t a boucle mohair! I didn’t catch the needle tips in all the extra fuzzy while knitting and this yarn doesn’t split.

The fabric is nice, loose and airy, and the colors are pretty. I’m guessing I got the Camelia Grove, as my sample is a green/rose combo. It’s light and fluffy. Would make a great simple stitch shawl on even larger needles, much like ShuiKuen designed especially for this yarn (and it’s a free pattern, too! See above.)

I was able to break the yarn with a good, strong yank on it. I frogged a row and didn’t find it a problem, but would still suggest you not have to frog a lot. Mohair is usually difficult that way. It’s just a bit itchy to me while knitting up. And as I write this, it’s in the blocking bath, so I’ll edit to add comments once it’s dry on the softness after blocking. I’ll add after blocking pics then too.

As with most fuzzy mohairs, you’ll either love this or hate this. I don’t find there are too many in-betweeners with Hair of the Mo.

Notes:

- US11 (8mm) metal (I’d suggest bamboo though)
- Breaks with really hard tug
- Unblocked: 3.5spi/4rpi
- Blocked: TBD
- Soft, but a bit itchy while knitting
- Frogged okay, but I only did one row (16 stitches wide)
- Pill test just fuzzed it up more (rubbed fabric together vigorously)
- Would probably felt well, though I didn’t try it with this one
7/4/2011 11:14:30 AM
Tues July 5 - EL Mode Mohair Long Prints Here is the blocked pic.

The swatch grew in width but not in length. Measured 3spi/4rpi after blocking. Remained soft and the bit of scratchiness felt while knitting left completely with the block.
7/9/2011 6:58:22 PM
Tues July 12 - Elann Sonata Soft Elann.com Sonata Soft
Fibre Content: 100% Mercerized Cotton
Made In: Brazil
Care: Machine Wash, Cold, Gentle/ Dry Flat
Gauge: 22 st/4 inches 4.0 mm (US 6)
Yardage: 106 m (115 yards)

Premium quality, cable-construction, mercerized cotton, enhanced by a softer hand!

Featured Design: Whispered Inspiration Summer Cardigan, designed and knit by Flora Yang, is available free for the printing in the Free Patterns page of our website while quantities of Sonata Soft remain.

Standard price for this quality is US$5.50 - Elann discounted price saves you as much as 50%!

US$2.75

Unblocked, Blocked, and Cables/Lace

24 colors to choose from in this new incarnation. And a welcome incarnation it is! This yarn is sturdy, but soft. I couldn’t break it. It’s cable construction consists of 4 sets of 2 plies twisted together. I split only two stitches, and on the BO, no less. But, when I frogged and knit it up again, it took out some of the twist and was a little more prone to splitting, so you’ll want to keep an eye on that if you have to frog a section. There was no wear and tear with the frogging, though and it reknit up nicely, even though it was a bit kinked from the blocking. I used my stainless steel needles and had no problem with them being too slippery. The yarn moved smoothly along and never felt like it was out of control on the needles. No wood or bamboo needles needed to work this yarn, but I think they’d be fine if those are your preferred needles.

The yarn knitted up smoothly and cohesively and I got gauge! Hot diggity! There was some biasing (I’d say by a stitch’s width over the 3 inch length of the swatch), but that blocked out well. As you can see in the 3rd linked photo, it worked up nicely in both a simple cable and gull wing lace. It didn’t torque at all in the cable/lace swatch preblock. I think the worked stitches helped it hold it’s shape.

There was no resemblance at all to the old Sonata to my hand. The old one (I had one of the prints) was like butcher’s twine to me: very stiff and not pleasant at all to knit with, so much so I destashed it as quickly as I could. This is so much better! The hand is softer and there is some give, so k2tog in the s1k2togpsso didn’t kill me to do. A cable of more than 4 or 5 stitches might be more difficult, but if you remember to loosen up those stitches to work the cable, you’d be ok.

My swatch didn’t pill or even look worn/different after I rubbed it together vigorously. The stitches smoothed back out nicely and there’s really no fuzz factor at all. I blocked it in a tepid bath and laid flat to dry. I would have gone the machine wash route, but I didn’t have any laundry to do. The swatch really didn’t change much at all in size, so if you wash as recommended, shrinkage will be very minimal!

All in all, I’m impressed and I may end up stashing some of this. The only drawback for me: my little 10 yd sample skein had a knot! I hope that isn’t an issue with this yarn.

Notes:

- US6 (4mm) metal
- Preblock: 22.5 st/4” and 7.5rpi
- Postblock: 22 st/4” and 7rpi
- Unbrakeable
- Biased a bit (also known as torquing) prior to block
- Holds cables and lace patterns well
- Soft, yet sturdy
- Pilling will be minimal, if at all
7/26/2011 5:26:16 AM
Tues July 26 - Austermann Algarve Color Austermann Algarve Color
Coming: July 26, 2011 09:00 AM Pacific Time
Fibre Content: 100% Mercerized Cotton
Made In: Bulgaria
Care: Machine Wash, Cold, Gentle/ Dry Flat
Gauge: 27 st/4 inches 2.50-3.50mm (US 1-4)
Yardage: 142 m (155 yards)

Smooth summery cotton in a fun palette of variegated colorways!

Standard price for this yarn is US$6.95 - Elann discounted price saves you as much as 64%!

US$2.48

Unblocked and Blocked

Nice fingering weight mercerized cotton. I had a bit of trouble with it untwisting on my knit stitch, which meant I had to watch for splitting on my purl stitch. A block in a cool bath evened out the wonky stitches (which you can see in the greenish pool in the middle of the unblocked swatch). I got gauge before blocking and, true to cotton form, it grew in width after a bath.

I like the fabric I got on the US4’s, but might consider going down to a US3 for a bit firmer fabric and, possibly, less sag. Although, in a fingering weight, sag might not be as much of an issue since the overall garment won’t weight that much.

My sample skein was the Olive Multi, which knit up looking a bit camofluage, but the color changes are relatively short, so that might help with pooling.

The construction is 3 threadlike plies twisted together, then 4 of those plies twisted together. Before knitting, it felt quite a bit like the old Sonata, but knit up with a much more giving hand. There is just a bit of give if you pull on a section of yarn, but it will not break.

All in all, if you like the colors, I’d say go for it. It’s rare to find a nice fingering weight cotton. If these were solid colors, I’d be all over this one.

Notes:

- US 4 (3.5mm) stainless steel
- Unblocked 6.75spi and 8rpi
- Blocked 6.35spi and 9rpi
- Could not break
- Untwists a little, possibly causing splitting
- A little bounce for a softer hand
- No pilling or wear detected
- Soft after a bath
8/1/2011 9:44:46 AM
Tues 8/2 - LE Light Mohair Long Prints elann.com Limited Edition Light Mohair Long Prints
Coming: August 02, 2011 09:00 AM Pacific Time
Fibre Content:75% Mohair/ 25% Nylon
Made In:Italy
Care:Hand Wash/ Dry Flat
Gauge:22 st/4 inches 3.0 mm (US 2)
Yardage:225 m (245 yards)
Size:50g (1.75 oz) ball

preblock & postblock

Nine beautiful, long color repeats, in a sumptuous luxury mohair blend!

Diagonal Garter Square Wrap pattern will be available free for the printing in the Free Patterns section of our website for as long as quantities of elann.com Limited Edition Light Mohair Long Prints remain.

Standard price for this quality is US$12.00 - Elann discounted price saves you as much as 67%!

US$3.96

Light Mohair. Is that like an oxymoron? I cringed when I opened my samples, because you all know I’m no big fan of the fuzzies. So, I started off by it laughing at me as I tried to untie the little knot in the sample skein. But I won out! Knit it up on the suggested needle size (masochist, yes?) and was actually pleasantly surprised. It is a very lightly haired Mo, so the stitches, though tiny, slipped off easily with no snagging on the fuzzies at all. I ripped some stitches, cuz, ya know, I just hadda and found that it frogged pretty easily the first time. Um, second time wasn’t so much the charm. Yeah, the yarn snagged on itself with a second frogging (on purpose just cuz of that masochistic tendency of mine), because the little hairy Mo’s were a bit tufted from the first frog/reknit.

I gave the yarn a good yank and was able to break it, but not nearly as easily as I thought it was going to go. In hand, it felt a bit on the scratchy side, which I’d hoped would lessen with a dunk and dry. Not so much. While it was softer in the hand after it’s spa treatment, I didn’t like it rubbing against my cheek so much. Speaking of rubbing, it fluffed up some, but didn’t pill. Might though, just because of the inherent nature of fuzzilicious yarns.

I think this would make a great shawl or wrap (like the pattern shown or maybe something really open on much larger needles, like a Wisp), it might also work really well for a cardi done up at a larger gauge than the yarn calls for such as Mohair Swing Wrap.

I didn’t get gauge using the suggested needle size, but the fabric I did get I rather liked (It was tighter at 6.25/1” once blocked rather than Elann’s 5.5/1”), but it went a little out of shape with the block. Of course, I didn’t pin it out, just smoothed it and left it to dry, so I’m certain it would block neatly if pinned.

If mohair is your thing, you might like this. Not as fuzzy as some, so much easier to knit!

Notes:

- US2 (3mm) bamboo
- preblock gauge: 6.75spi/9rpi
- postblock gauge: 6.25spi/8.5rpi
- Breaks with effort
- Frogs okay once, not twice
- Soft, but not next to face soft (for me, at least)
- Fuzzed nicely after it’s spa treatment
8/8/2011 9:01:46 AM
Tues 8/9 - Sock It To Me Dankai elann.com Sock It To Me dankai
Coming: August 09, 2011 09:00 AM Pacific Time
Fibre Content:75% Superwash Wool/ 25% Nylon
Made In:Turkey
Care:Machine Wash, Cold, Gentle/ Dry Flat
Gauge:30 st/4 inches 2.5-3.0 mm (US 1-2)
Yardage:420 m (458 yards)
Size:100g (3.5 oz) ball

Big 100g balls of the highest quality sock yarn, in 6 amazing, slowly transitioning, super-saturated colorways!

Featured Design: Toe-Up Socks For The Family, designed for elann.com by Debbi Young is a great basic, easy to knit sock pattern. In sizes for children, women, and men, one pair of adult socks may be knit using just 1 ball of elann.com Sock It To Me dankai, or knit 2 pairs for children using just 1 ball!

This pattern is available free for the printing in the Free Patterns section of our website while quantities of elann.com Sock It To Me dankai remain.

Standard price for this quality is US$17.98 - Elann mill direct price saves you as much as 50%!

US$8.98

Unblocked & Blocked

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is a fuzzy yarn, and it shed on my black capris while knitting and I had to brush off. There are two plies (which is how they get the long transitioning shades I’m assuming, but my whole 10 yds were just two colors twisted together), each being a single ply, twisted loosely together. So a loose single ply, loosely plied into a 2 ply was a major problem for my style of knitting (throwing). The plies untwisted as I knit. I switched to picking (I can knit both ways) and it helped with the untwisting, but boy was it hard to knit with such small needles with my unpreferred method!

There is 25% nylon in this one, which gives it plenty of stretch, but wouldn’t hold out a stiff block if used on a shawl. I could break it. Not easily, but not a really hard tug either. I soaked it for awhile and when I blocked it, it went from a pretty even rectangle to a bit of a skewed rectangle (it biased just the slightest). This could be due to the plies untwisting as I knit. It may not be a problem if you can knit it without the plies untwisting.

I’m beginning to think I knit tightly, but yet the fabric of this swatch is not tight at all. Nope, I didn’t get gauge of 7.5spi on the suggested US2. I’d probably get that on US3’s. But, as I stated, the fabric I got is, in my opinion, rather loose if you were knitting socks. I’d go down to a US1 for socks with this yarn, but be forewarned, you’ll probably get somewhere between 9 and 10 spi (unless you are a super-tight knitter, then don’t go down to a 1!)

The fuzziness is probably due to the plies being singles, along with the nylon content. Even though it’s fuzzy, it isn’t really itchy. It felt a bit scratchy while knitting, but for the itch test, I forgot it was under my bra strap. Pill test didn’t do much but fuzz it up a bit more. Since this is superwash, the only thing that might make it pill is the nylon content and the nature of single plied yarn (even when plied together into a 2 ply) to pill. YMMV, but I’d guess it will be fuzzier, not pilled, over time.

Notes:

- US2 (3mm) metal
- Unblocked: 8spi/10rpi
- Blocked: 8.5spi/11rpi
- Two fuzzy single plies, plied together
- Long transitioning color changes
- Higher nylon content = stretch with shape retention
- Biased slightly after blocking
- To prevent untwisting of plies, try continental knitting (picking)
- Sheds while knitting
8/15/2011 6:26:32 AM
Tues, 8/16 - Madil Divino Fibre Content:86% Pure New Merino Wool/ 14% Nylon
Gauge:13 st/4 inches 6.0-7.0 mm (US 10-10.75)
Yardage:80 m (87 yards)

Deliciously soft-spun single ply merino blend! Available in 12 colors, plus 2 more in lesser quantities.

Standard price for this yarn is US$8.50 - Elann discounted price saves you as much as 71%!

US$2.48

Preblock, Blocked and spit-spliced

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lofty, soft single ply wool, with a touch of nylon for stability. This one felt wonderful knitting and on the softness test, I forgot I’d put it under the bra strap. That is, until two hours later, when I was getting the chicken enchiladas out of the oven and I kept wondering why my left shoulder seemed to warm to me! The stitch definition is really pretty nice, as sometimes they can get muddy looking with singles. I was going to try a cable, but thought about it too far into the swatch, besides, I’d already done the frog test so I didn’t want to frog back just to throw in a cable. My thoughts are that it would hold a cable nicely, but done at a bit tighter gauge.

And, yes, I got gauge!! I don’t own 10.75’s, so I used 10.5US. I really like the fabric I got with it and am wondering if I should get some to do another Susie Hoodie, as my first one screwed with me on the gauge and is now in the lovely possession of my daughter.

Bad points: it broke easily with just a light tug; and, it fuzzed up and started to pill with the friction test. But these are both usual with soft, lofty, merino singles. And like I do with most yarns with a tendency to pill, I’m going to suggest using smaller needles for a tighter gauge to help offset that pilling tendency.

Oh, and for those of you wondering about felting. Can you say, “Unbelievable?” I felt joined the tail I broke off the swatch and I cannot find, once the spit splice dried, where the devil I did it! (Yes, I shaped it like an S to stand for super spit-splicing superiority!) This small felting join leads me to believe that this yarn is gonna felt like buttah melts. If I don’t get some for that hoodie, I may just get some for felted slippers!

Yeah, you can say I liked this one. LOL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Notes:

- US10.5 (6.5mm) metal
- Preblock gauge: 13st/3.75” (just under gauge), 5rpi
- blocked gauge: 13st/4” (on the button!!), 5rpi (Rows didn’t change! It just got that squidge wider.)
- broke easily
- soft, lofty single
- spit-splice felted join so well I can’t find the join
- MMMMMmmmmerino
- No itch factor at all, just really warm!
- Pilling’s probably gonna happen
8/22/2011 9:06:31 AM
Tues, 8/23 - Elann LE Mode Mohair Fibre Content:75% Mohair/ 10% Wool/ 15% Nylon
Gauge:14st/4 inches 7.0 mm (US 10.75)
Yardage:100 m (109 yards)

Luxurious, soft mohair blend in a range of 12 beautiful colors!

Featured Design: Fire Place Kimono, designed by Shui Kuen Kozinski with Ann Cannon-Brown, is a one-size-fits-most kimono. Each of its component shapes is rectangular, knit in arrowhead lace, and edged with a 4 inch band of garter stitch on the lower edges of the body, sleeves, and front band/collar. A generous finished back width of 36” and 10” side slits at each hip make for a gracefully draping, comfortable, and flattering garment. Finished length shown is 22”, and pattern includes instructions for a 24” finished length for taller wearers. This exclusive design, which uses 9, 10 balls of elann.com Limited Edition Mode Mohair, will be available free for the printing in the Free Patterns section of our website while quantities of Mode Mohair remain!

Standard price for this yarn is US$10.00 - Elann discounted price saves you as much as 65%!

US$3.48

unblocked & blocked

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know! Another mohair. I don’t own US10.75 needles so I swatched on US11 (8mm). And I got gauge in the unblocked swatch! After it’s little bath and lay flat, it only grew from 4” to 4.25” for 14 stitches. The row gauge didn’t budge.

I frogged two rows and had no problems with it catching. But I wouldn’t suggest extensive frogging. I crocheted a chain with the length of yarn I had left (about 20”) and tried frogging that. Yep, caught on the second loop and knotted itself to Mo’s little hairs . So, if you plan on crocheting with this, don’t plan on frogging! Although, my crochet chain was tighter than the knit loops I got on the 11’s.

The yarn broke with a good tug, but didn’t shed at all while knitting. I had one lonely little hair in the sink after the bath. The fabric looks denser in the pictures than it appears in real life. It’s very floaty and airy. Soft, with not a hint of scratch or itch. If anyone is planning on knitting Shui’s pattern, you’re gonna love it!

My swatch tilted to the left just a touch while drying, which is odd for a non-cotton blend to bias. Could just be I didn’t pay attention when I laid it out to dry, so I wouldn’t worry about it.

I didn’t have any problems catching my tips in the fuzz while knitting this. All in all, if mohair is your thing, you will probably like this. It’s knit at a bulky gauge, so things will fly off your needles. It gives a lovely, soft drape and the colors are deep, saturated and beautiful!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Notes:

- US 11 (8mm)
- preblock gauge: 14s/4”, 16r/4”
- postblock gauge: 14.25s/4”, 16r/4”
- Broke with a good tug
- Will frog once, but not with crochet
- Doesn’t shed
- No itch
- Deep, saturated colors
- May pill (it is fuzzy!)
8/29/2011 4:55:09 AM
Tues, 8/30 - Elann Limited Edition Rossini Fibre Content:25% Wool/ 25% Silk/ 20% Cotton/ 30% Viscose Rayon
Gauge:20 st/4 inches 3.75mm (US 5)
Yardage:125 m (135 yards)
Size:50g (1.75oz) ball

Indulge in a luxury blend perfect for all multi-season wear!

Available in 9 colors shown, plus 3 more in lesser quantities.

Standard price for this quality is US$7.50 - Elann discounted price saves you as much as 60%!

US$2.98

unblocked & blocked

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ahhhhhh! Happiness.

This yarn is lovely. A 6-ply blend of wool, silk, cotton and rayon, it knit like heaven. There was no splitting, it held up to a frog without any sign of a prince, the stitches were even and smooth even before blocking and looked better after, the tweed isn’t overpowering. I think I’m in love. I don’t even “feel” the rayon, though I know it’s in the blend. This feels, very much to me, like the new Sonata Soft while knitting (which I liked), but was even softer in hand. It passed the itch test with flying colors - no itch while knitting, no itch under the strap.

I should mention here that Elann has it listed as a worsted weight, yet the needle size they suggest is more for a DK or light worsted. And the row gauge I got at 8 rows per inch is more in line with a DK/LW on their suggested needle size. So if you want to use this as a true worsted weight, please make sure to swatch it. The fabric is nice and dense, but fluid, on the 5’s for me, but going up to a 6 wouldn’t be a problem for this yarn if you want to try for a true worsted gauge.

If there is any flaws in this yarn, it would be that I broke it surprisingly easily. It feels very substantial in hand, so I gave it my usual light tug at first (I start out tugging lightly, then go harder and harder til I either break it or my fingers say “ow!”) and it snapped more easily than some of the branches in the trees around me during this weekend’s hurricane.

And just so y’all know, the natural turquoise color that the sample sweater is knit in is just really ugly and wouldn’t look good on any of you. ::evil grin::

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Notes:

- US 5 (3.75mm) metal
- preblock gauge: 5.75spi/7.5rpi
- blocked gauge: 5spi/8rpi (Yay! I got gauge.)
- Knit more at a DK/LW gauge, than a true Worsted
- Broke easily
- No signs of pilling with pill test
- Frogs well
- Did not split
- Will bankrupt you
9/4/2011 12:09:58 PM
Tues 8/9 - Sock It To Me Dankai The 25% nylon content would actually be great for socks, but I agree, it is a light fingering at the suggested 30spi on a US1 or 2 and with the yardage at 458.
9/4/2011 12:15:01 PM
Tues 9/6 - LE Mode Light Mohair 75% Mohair/25% Nylon
Made in Italy - Hand Wash/Dry Flat
DK Weight - 22 st/4 inches 3.0 mm (US 2)
50g (1.75 oz) ball - 225 m (245 yards)
$3.48 USD/$3.34 CAD

Fine, soft, luxurious mohair blend in a palette of rich colors.

Unblocked and Blocked

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please refer to this review. I can’t add much except that I changed the needle size. There is no way you’ll ever knit a fine mohair at a dk weight on US2 (3mm). I wasn’t anywhere near it on the LE Mode Light Mohair Long Prints. This time, I used a US 4 (3.5mm) metal and got the stated gauge after blocking of 22s/4”.

This yarn seems to be the exact same, except it’s dyed in solid colors, rather than in the long, softly striping prints of last month.

The colors are saturated and very pretty. Mohair lovers’ will like this one again, especially if you grabbed some of the Long Prints last month. I’d use this as a carry-along with a lace weight wool to do wraps or even with a heavier wool for felting items. The soft halo is lovely.

Notes:

- US4 (3.5mm) metal
- Unblocked: 22/3.75”, 8rpi
- Blocked: 22/4”, 8rpi (rows did not change!)
- Broke with a hard tug
- Frogged well!
- Soft, with light halo
9/12/2011 5:44:02 AM
Tues, 9/13/11 - Crystal Palace Iceland Big 100g balls of cozy, supersoft wool, and a rainbow of colors

100% Wool
Made in Taiwan - Hand Wash/Dry Flat
Bulky Weight - 10-14 st/4 inches 6.5-9.0 mm (US 10.5-13)
100g (3.5 oz) ball - 100 m (109 yards)
$3.98 USD/$3.82 CAD

Available in 27 colors shown, plus 5 more colors in lesser quantities. See our sneak peak page for details!

Note: There’s also a mention of coordinating Crystal Palace Iceland Prints that will be available on Thursday, September 15.

Unblocked & Blocked

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is a single ply, 100% wool behemoth! And it’s lovely. It flew off my needles (literally, a couple times, so I’d suggest using plastic or bamboo with this one) faster than a speeding bullet. It’s lofty and squishy. I had no problems with frogging this (three rows!) and reknitting. I’m positive it will felt like a dream, although I didn’t try it. I might though, as I have to start some laundry today and I swatched it on the largest size needles just in case I wanted to experiment.

The single is twisted nicely and I could not break this one. At all! I wrapped it around my fingers a couple times after the third try and snapped as hard as I could and all that happened was I had indents in my fingers from the yarn. LOL! The stitches smoothed out and the swatch survived it’s blocking beautifully. Surprisingly, there wasn’t much movement in the fabric from pre to post blocking. The spi and rpi were nearly identical before and after.

Lots of color choices: pastels, primaries, jewel tones. Something for everyone. 32 colors! Amazing.

While this woolie wonder will probably felt great, I could not pill it during my pill test (rub that sucker together vigorously for a few minutes). It didn’t even make it all fuzzy. And it is soft. I was expecting itch, but really didn’t feel anything but heat on my shoulder (have I mentioned this is a super bulky behemoth?).

I’m wondering how fast we can crash the Elann site trying to order this one! lol

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Notes:

- US13 (9mm) metal
- Frogged well
- Could not break
- Unblocked: 10 stitches/3.5” (2.86 spi)
- Blocked: 10 stitches/3.75” (2.66 spi)
- suggested gauge: 10 stitches/4” (2.5 spi) (On 13’s)
- 4 rpi, both unblocked and blocked
- Will probably felt well
- Not itchy
- Astounding color selection
9/12/2011 5:45:45 AM
Tues, 8/30 - Elann Limited Edition Rossini I'm so sorry I didn't see this sooner. My sample was the espresso confetti.
9/12/2011 9:21:23 AM
Tues, 9/13/11 - Crystal Palace Iceland Felted

So, I threw the swatch in with my color load - warm wash, cold rinse on a 10 minute cycle. Then into a low heat dryer for 30 minutes and this is the result. The stitches still have definition and it felted quite well. The felted gauge is now 10 stitches/3” and the row height condensed to 5rpi. The swatch is still wet, and could use a little more heat, but I needed the low heat for the rest of the load. Even so, I think the felting results are pretty good. If you use a US 15 and did a hot wash/cold rinse and high heat (you might not even need the dryer), it would be even better!
edited by duckbunni on 9/12/2011
pages: 1 2 3 4