maggie - all messages by user

6/28/2011 2:45:32 PM
Shui Kuen Kozinski Designs Contest! Hi Debbie,

Thanks so much for taking the time to inquire if we would accept your half finished Shui Kuen project. Trust me, I do understand about mowing, gardening and all the other summer chores that take up our valuable knitting time. Unfortunately, the answer is no - we did specify that the contest was for completed projects.

We would still love to see your project when it's done!

All the best,
Maggie
edited by petra@elann on 6/28/2011
8/25/2011 3:02:48 PM
Incense 12 Cypress Hi Janet,

I have a few extra balls of this color, dyelot 40 if it matters. Send me an email to maggie@elann.com and let me know how many you need and where to send them.

I look forward to hearing from you soon!

Maggie
8/26/2011 1:04:52 PM
Peruvian Highland Wool 0404 Charcoal Heather Hi,

I'm not sure if it's to late, but we have reordered our Peruvian Highalnd Wool. One of the colors we hope to get is #0404 Charcoal Heather.

May I suggest that you tick off the "Email me if stock levels increase." button found on the product page for this yarn. This way when the yarn is again ready for sale you will be among the first to know.

All the best,
Maggie
8/26/2011 1:08:00 PM
Incense-Birch...Looking for more skeins!! Hi Koren,

I'm not sure if you are still looking for our Incense in color #03 Birch Bark. I am happy to report that yarn has been reordered for the fall and Birch Bark should be included in our shipment.

May I suggest that you tick off the "Email me if stock levels increase." button found on the product page for this yarn. This way when the yarn is again ready for sale you will be among the first to know.

All the best,
Maggie
9/13/2011 11:56:23 AM
Shawled Collared Cardigan Rossini Yarn Hi Miriam,

Thanks for your post in our Chat Center as well as your email and phone call. It was a pleasure speaking with you this morning. I thought in case other customers are having problems with the Shawl Collared Cardigan featured with our Limited Edition Rossini I would post my answers to you here as well.

For the Center Front Shaping:
The increases look asymmetric: k1, inc1 at one end Knit to last 3 sts then inc1 and k2. I will adjust that but should the increases be done as well before and after the 2 markers that are placed.

No, I believe when I knit this pattern for our website I only increased at the beginning and end of each row.

When the armholes get shaped, there are no instructions for dividing the pattern. I get that, but the information should have been more explicit.

I looked over the pattern. After completing Shape Center Front you should see Shape Armholes instructions:
"Next Row: (RS) K to 5 (6, 6, 8, 7) sts before marker, bind off next 10 (11, 12, 15, 14) sts, removing marker, k to 5 5 (6, 6, 8, 7) sts before marker, bind off 10 (11, 12, 15, 14) sts, removing marker, K to end of row.

This is where you now work only on the Left Front stitches, with no further shaping by the armhole. Without knowing the size you are knitting I believe at this point you should have 20, 22, 25, 30 or 36 stitches for your Left Front.

If you have any further questions, you can email me at maggie@elann.com or customerservice @elann.com and I would be happy to help.

All the best,
Maggie
10/4/2011 9:31:15 AM
Sierra Aran - Fiddlhead Green Hi Elana,

I just noticed your post looking for our Sierra Aran in Fiddle Head Green. While this color is currently out of stock it has been reordered and we are hoping to receive this shipment in the next little while. May I suggest you tick off to email you when stock levels increase. You will find this located below the picture image on the product page for Sierra Aran. This way when our shipment arrives and is ready again for sale you will be among the first to know.

All the best,
Maggie
10/4/2011 3:22:33 PM

Unfortunately I can't give you a date for the arrival of our shipment of Sierra Aran. If someone should have the number of balls you need I would go ahead and take them. If no one responds at least you know the yarn should be on its way. May I ask if you ticked off to be emailed about ay returns or restock of this yarn?

All the best,
Maggie
10/6/2011 1:40:54 PM

When you tick off to have us email you for a certain yarn, the page should refresh and reopen at your Profile page. When you scroll down you should see the yarn listed at the bottom of the page.

All the best,
Maggie
3/9/2012 11:33:13 AM
March 2012 Project Contest! Hi Margaret,

You can view any projects submitted to our contests by hovering your mouse over the "Community" button and selecting "Projects" from the drop down menu. You can then select to view the March contest from the Contest Entries.

I hope this helps!

All my best,
Maggie
5/26/2012 7:33:43 AM
elann bamboo classic yarn Hi,

I'm happy to report that our Bamboo Classic yarn will be available in a Full Bag Blowout Sale on Tuesday, May 29th at 9 AM Pacific Time. To view available colors, I have provided the link for you below:

http://www.elann.com/Commerce.Web/sneakpeek.aspx

All my best,
Maggie
6/5/2012 12:22:12 PM
Help with sleeve cap on Gatto Class Cardigan Hi,

I've pulled my copy of the Lana Gatto Class Ribbed Border Cardigan and will take a look at the sleeve directions for you. I'll let you know what I find.

All my best,
Maggie
6/6/2012 8:25:13 AM
Help with sleeve cap on Gatto Class Cardigan Hi Patricia,

Thanks very much for alerting us to a mistake in the Lana Gatto Class Ribbed Border Cardigan. Although each pattern is checked and rechecked before being offered to our customers, occasionally something does slip pass us. In this case we were missing 2 lines from the cap shaping. We are very sorry for any inconvenience we have caused, and we have updated the pattern on our website. I have also enclosed the corrections for you below.

Please let me know if I may be of any further assistance.

All my best,
Maggie

Cap shaping
Keeping continuity of pattern, cast off 3 (3, 3, 4, 4, 5) sts at the beg of next 2 rows.
Then cast off 2 sts at beg of next 0 (0, 2, 2, 4, 4) rows.
Next row (RS): K2, SKP, patt to last 4 sts, k2tog, k2.
Next row (WS): Pattern even.
Repeat last 2 rows 8 (10, 11, 12, 13, 14) more times – 36 stitches now on needle.
Next row (RS): K2, SSKP, patt to last 5 sts, k3tog, k2.
Next row (WS): Pattern even – 28 sts now on needle.
Repeat last 2 rows once more.
Cast off 3 sts at beg of next 2 rows.
Then cast off 4 sts at beg of next 2 rows.
Cast off rem 14 sts.
edited by maggie on 6/6/2012
6/12/2012 12:56:21 PM
new to knitting.. Hi Jen,

Thanks for your post in our Chat Center. I would love to give you some tips and ideas for begining your knitting adventure.

-what supplies I NEED to have to start - patience would be the first supply, you may need a lot of it. Needles, pattern, yarn, you might also need stitch holders and or markers.

- what types of projects are good for beginners - This depends on your level of bravery. My first project was a pullover with a Fair Isle pattern on the yoke. I will see if I can find a few links for you to look at.

- web references for learning to knit - different stitches, etc. - our web site is great to start with. You tube is awesome for videos on learning new stitches, different cast on and offs, almost anything you need is there.

- how to follow a pattern - do they all tell you how much yarn you will need? - Every pattern will list the amount of yarn needed for each size, as well as the needle size required, all abbreviations and any charts you might need.

- How do I know what type to get? Can I use any yarn to start?? The pattern you chose will tell you the yarn they reccomend. However, the important thing is to get your gauge. This means knitting a swatch to see if the needle size they reccommend gets you the correct number of stitches to 4". You can always find a substitute yarn for any pattern and that's where I come in. By emailing me at customerservice@elann.com and including any information you have I can almost always find a substitute yarn for you.

I'll touch base soon with some patterns for you to look at.

all my best,
Maggie
7/31/2012 11:07:43 AM
Lara Pinwheel sweater Hi,

Oh dear, I'm afraid the only thing to do is frog back. I sure hope you haven't gotten too far along.

In order to continue knitting in the round, you will need to replace the stitches that you have put on stitch holders for the arms with the same number of provisional stitches. As you continue to knit in the round, the stitches on the holders will remain inactive until the body of the garment has been completed and you are ready to knit the arms.

When the body of the sweater is completed, you will work the sleeves by picking up the stitches on the sides, unzipping the scrap yarn to release the live stitches and placing them on your needle. The other half of the stitches are picked up from the stitch holder.

Good luck and please let me know if I may be of any further assistance.

all my best,
Maggie
7/31/2012 11:11:58 AM
liquid silver shawl help Hi,

Sorry for the long delay, but I just noticed your post in our Previous Website Chat.

The pattern asks you to cast on 93 stitches. Going from left to right, following the chart, you will see that the first block of pattern involves 11 stitches, then you have a
4 stitch pattern, a 24 x 3 repeat for a total of 72 stitches, and finally a 6 stitch repeat. This gives you 11
+ 4 + (24 x 3 = 72) + 6 = 93.

I wonder if the problem you are having might be with the chart itself. The blocks that are blackened indicate where there is no stitch. Because of the undulating nature of the pattern, it is necessary to have more space on either side of the pattern chart to allow for the stitches to move right and left as the pattern changes. Only the white blocks and the blocks with symbols showing in them are actually stitches that can be counted. The darkened blocks are not counted at all.

As well we have found that printing the chart in color can be very useful.

Please let me know if I may be of any further assistance.

All my best,
Maggie
8/6/2012 7:40:40 AM
August 2012 Project Contest! To add a photo to our August 2012 Project Contest you will first need save the picture to a file on your computer. You can do this by right clicking on the image and saving it to your file.

Log onto your elann.com account and hover your mouse over our Community page and select Project Gallery from the dropdown menu. When the page refreshes you will see "Submit Your Project and Learn about our Project Contests! " Click on this link and fill in the required information.

Where you see "Main Picture" click the "Browse" button. Now find the picture you saved on your computer and click the "Open" button. You should see the file name entered in the box on our Contest page, click the Submit Project button.

Please let me know if this works or if I may be of any further assistance.

All my best,
Maggie
8/6/2012 7:50:09 AM
Lara Pinwheel sweater Your idea might work, but you will need to be very careful.

You work the sleeves by picking up the stitches on the sides, unzipping the scrap yarn to release the live stitches and placing them on your needle. The other half of the stitches are picked up from the stitch holder.

To access the stitches, the waste yarn needs to be removed. To do this, pull out the tail from the last loop. Continue pulling on the tail to remove the waste yarn loops from the working yarn loops.

Slip the working yarn stitches onto the empty knitting needle as they are exposed.

When finished removing the waste yarn, all provisional cast on stitches should be on a needle. Double check to make sure you have the same number of stitches as were cast on. Continue as the pattern instructs.

I hope this helps!

Maggie
10/23/2012 9:59:04 AM
Ruffled Scarf in Studio Tricot Ara Hi Latika,

Thanks for your message in our Chat Center regarding the Ara Ruffled Scarf.

When you start knitting with Studio Tricot Ara you need to make a few small folds at the beginning before making your first stitch; this helps to stabilize the first few stitches. Studio Tricot Ara is a ruffle yarn (more of a webbed fabric) that is prepared in such a way that a simple knit stitch turns it into a scarf or shawl. Working with ruffle yarns is similar to regular knitting, but instead of wrapping the working yarn around the right needle, the right needle is slipped through the top edge of the yarn, and then pulled through the stitch on the left hand needle. For example to create a Ruffled Shawl, you work along the top edge of the yarn, inserting needle from back to front, pick up 85 stitches, spaced approximately 1.5" to 2" apart, and continue knitting every row of 85 stitches, ending in a complete row until there are around 15 yards left of the 6th ball.

I hope this information is helpful.

All my best,
Maggie
12/27/2012 11:48:19 AM
Pinwheel sweaters The stitches that you set aside are half of the sleeve circumference, to create the other half, and to continue knitting the body, you cast on 30 sts using the provisional cast on, and work these sts with the rest of the body. Once your body is complete, you remove the provisional cast on, and work on both the 30 stitches that were set aside, and the 30 sts from your provisional cast on for a total of 60 sts for your sleeve.

I would recommend using a crochet hook in the same size, or one size larger than your knitting needle, and crocheting a chain that is 36 chains long. Turn the chain over, and pick up 30 sts from the small bumps in the back of the chain using your working yarn from the body of your sweater. Once you have picked up the 30 sts, continue working around the body with your working yarn. Repeat for the second armhole. When you are ready to release your provisional cast on, carefully unpick the chain, placing the stitches onto your needle.

You can see a photo tutorial for this technique at the following ehow link:

http://www.ehow.com/how_5947531_make-crochet-provisional-cast.html

Please do not hesitate to contact us if you need additional help.

All my best,
Maggie
1/17/2013 7:26:04 AM
Ara tricot SOS Hi

I'm sorry I didn't respond to your post earlier about the Ara yarn. hopefully this will help!

Studio Tricot Ara is a ruffle yarn (more of a webbed fabric) that is
prepared in such a way that a simple knit stitch turns it into a scarf or
shawl. Working with ruffle yarns is similar to regular knitting, but
instead of wrapping the working yarn around the right needle, the right
needle is slipped through the top edge of the yarn, and then pulled through
the stitch on the left hand needle. For example to create a Ruffled Scarf,
you work along the top edge of the yarn, inserting needle from back to
front, pick up 12 stitches, spaced approximately 1" to 1.5" apart, and
continue knitting every row (garter stitch) of 12 stitches, ending in a
complete row until there are just a few yards left of the 2nd ball.

Please let me knowif I may be of any further assistance.

All my best,
Maggie
pages: 1 2 3