Alice Trueman - all messages by user

9/11/2004 9:15:20 AM
Fall on Salt Spring Hi
The first knitter arrived yesterday afternoon in the pouring rain. Fortunately my DH was on the same ferry and was able to find her, so she could drive off the ferry with him, rather than walk. She has come for a week with lots of knitting. Her name is Patti, and she`s a keeper.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
9/15/2004 8:53:43 AM
classic elite tweed? Hi Sophie
I ordered the charcoal to make the `not-so-warm` Einstein coat. Also a skein each of the cranberry, light grey, and blue for a coloured edging or for a hat to go with it. I expect it to be a little scratchy next to the skin, but over a shirt should be fine. I`m always pleased with Classic Elite yarns - they have substance.
It should arrive tomorrow afternoon, so I`ll have the knitters who are here for the get-to-gether feel it and report.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
9/17/2004 8:53:43 AM
Heather and Les have joined the group Hi

Heather L. and Lesley have arrived to join the group. Everyone seems to be having a great time. Blue sky, blue water, little sailboats, and a tug and barges this morning, so hopefully the rain is over.
Lots and lots of knitting going on.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
9/21/2004 8:31:56 AM
A Wonderful Week on Salt Spring Hi
It`s been a wonderful week, ten days actually, with great people here on Salt Spring. I hope everyone learned something new as well as having a good time. They all pitched in and helped with the chores, then knitted like crazy.

Ann and her husband and son came over from the mainland for Sunday afternoon. She was rather bombarbarded with questions, but everyone was so pleased to actually meet her in person. It was wonderful of them to come - fortunately the sun was shining so it was a beautiful ferry trip through the islands.

General concensus is that we do it again next year, same time, same format, everyone brings some WIPs, gets help, gives help, and has a relaxing time.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
9/26/2004 10:23:20 AM
question for shaping sweater-Alice are you there? Hi Benne
I think I would start putting in some short rows in the upper back long before you reach the neck area. Start with a couple of short rows about a quarter of the way up the armhole, then reduce the number of regular rows between the short rows as you move towards the shoulders and neck. The sweater will look more graceful if you start adding the fullness earlier and gradually, rather than a lot of increase close together. This will make it hang away from the body, but that`ll be more flattering to her as it will make her back look straighter.

Try to look at her discreetly, or study a photo, to see if she needs extra width in the neck part for a comfortable fit. She probably needs more width across the back neck than a 30 yr old would. A slightly wider neck band, in ribbing, can help to pull in extra width to sit against her neck.

Depending upon her shape, you may want to add some short rows to the front, too, but lower down. Or you may need to short row the front sides, so that the middle of the front does not droop down. Try to draw her sideways shape on pattern paper, then you will have a good idea of what you need to do. Take the side-length as datum and make your adjustments from there.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
9/26/2004 10:35:44 AM
Einstein jacket in many colors a la Sally??? Hi Bella
I didn`t use `many colours`, just charcoal and grey. Knitted all the bottom piece charcoal, and then the top in 2-row stripes. I thought it looked good, but DD, for whom it was intended, said, "Stripes! no way", so I frogged it, and reknit the charcoal in Jamieson`s `hoodie` pattern. She wore it as a second skin last winter, and now has got it out again for fall. I wear my Einstein a great deal. I think that the shape is so spectacular, that too much embellishment detracts. I started wearing mine before I found buttons, and it still has no buttons - doesn`t need them, over-lapped it just clings to itself. People say, "Did you knit that?" in awe, but don`t even comment on much more complicated things.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
9/26/2004 10:55:31 AM
Roll Call-The guy in the red suit in 90 days-what`s on your needles? Hi
Best thing I`ve found lately is those little bags - thanks to whichever knitter latched onto the idea - just big enough to hold glasses, car keys, and a little money. One ball of Sari varigated ribbon makes a bag - about 100 yards.

Finished bag is about 4 1/2 inches wide by 7 inches long, with I-cord to hang it around your neck.

Essentially, knit a flap - a triangle, scallop, or whatever, increasing to 24 stitches, then knit the body until you reach 14 inches long, cast off, knit I-cord long enough to go around your neck and hang in a suitable place, cast off (or use commercial cord). Sew sides, attach cord, make a loop with the end from the cast on, sew on a bead or a button, and you`re done.
I knitted the first one all in seed stitch, but for the second one, I knitted the flap in garter stitch. Any stitch pattern that shows off the variations in the yarn would be fine. I am using needles a couple of sizes smaller than suggested on the yarn band to make the purse really firm.

DD thought they looked great, and put dibs on the second one, so they appeal to the younger crowd, too.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
9/28/2004 5:16:31 PM
grams A quick `rule of thumb` is to use 30grams = one ounce in your calculations. This is not exact, but close enough for knitting purposes.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
9/29/2004 8:27:07 AM
My Trip to Salt Spring - Finally!!! I`m so pleased that everyone had such a good time. The over-whelming message I am getting is to book the log house for the same time next year!

Will do. Plan ahead.

It was a great week.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
9/30/2004 8:52:50 AM
another gift idea Les
Somebody at the Monday night knitting group was looking for a pattern for these. Any suggestions?

Also, I asked Joy (alpaca farm) about the pattern for the lace cap. She doesn`t have it, as one of her home knitters made the cap. She and Al are interested in having people write patterns for them to sell along with their alpaca yarn.

I know I have seen something very like that lacey cap somewhere. I will suddenly come across it! The ones for sale would need to have been adaptions of printed patterns, as its not exactly legal to sell items from a `bought` pattern that`s copyright.

Another idea for gifts: I ordered "The Knitted Teddy Bear" from Elann last week. This book has bears from 4 inches high up to 21 inches. The little ones (4 and 6 inch sizes)take 30grams of fingering weight for the bear and bits and pieces for details. Visualize little alpaca bears wearing jaunty little scarves.

Also, look at `Burra Bears` in "Simply Shetland" (another piece of Ann`s visual candy last week) for a suggestion of what to do with those WIP`s you are never going to finish. Bears made out of recycled knitting - hey, if you are not going to finish it, why not cut it up?

If you are really ambitious, or knitting for a very special person, you could knit (or make) a whole teddy bears` picnic with the picnic items a la Debbie New.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
10/3/2004 9:55:50 AM
Alice - the lacy alpaca hat Have a look at the hat in Family Circle Easy Knitting - Holiday 2004, #26 on page 62. Pattern is "Shadow Triangles" from Harmony Guide, #3. Different lower edge, but very similar shape to the one you bought. "Diamond Panel" should work up just fine. This should be good!

Alice
Salt Spring Island
10/8/2004 10:01:52 AM
Salt Spring pictures are driving me nuts! Great pictures, Heather! They really do show the atmosphere of the house.

Yes, the lights are mine. I have a whole brigade of table ones, too, for the classroom space downstairs. Those Ott lights are really useful. Naomi`s just folds up and fits into her luggage - even in the 24 pounds that she is allowed to take on the float plane.

Plan ahead for next September! The word is certainly to use the same format again, come for as many days as you can. If I get my thesis finished, and I`m taking classes again, there may be a couple of day trips to Victoria, whilst I go and be academic, or you could stay behind by the fire and knit. The bus service from the university is excellent, so it would be easy to get to the centre of the city and back again.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
10/14/2004 10:21:06 AM
Need pricing opinion please! I think that eight to ten cents US per yard of yarn, plus the cost of the yarn, plus a bit on top for finishing is fairly standard. Fancy patterns are more per yard due to complexity. $20 finishing for an adult-size sweater would be very fair to the customer.

Multiplying the cost of the yarn by a factor is NOT FAIR to the knitter. Cheap acrylic takes much more effort to knit than alpaca, so should claim at least the same price.

It also depends on local economic conditions. Go and pay a visit to the most up-scale shop in your vicinity which sells similar products, and have a really good look at the stock. Is it made in America? How does the fibre compare in quality to yours? Is it hand-finished? Then try asking 60% of the shop pricing.

An example of pricing here at the commercial galleries (as opposed to home-based business studios)and Artcraft is those Eros scarves knitted in mock-Turkish or similar stitch are about $90CDN which is now $72US. They sell. In fact when I wear moebius samples in Eros or Kitty from last year`s retreat, I often get comments about my having `bought one, too`.

Don`t price too low, price affects how people judge quality. Attractive display makes all the difference. It may be worth investing in some attractive boxes and tasteful tissue paper. Those gold and silver seals cost a few cents each yet give a very classy look to the wrapped package. I`m out of the thrift store business now, but I certainly learned a lot in 41/2 years - a few inches of nice ribbon (donated) and about 30 seconds of time, turns a 25 cent napkin into a fifty cent one in a nice display with wine glasses and candles (all donated). Hang tags with your name on the front are another good touch - use the folded kind with the blank insides, so that the customer can write an instant greeting to the receiver with a good pen which you have at the ready. You can run them through your printer if you use light card stock or construction paper, and have DD fold them, punch a hole in the corner, and attach a pretty piece of light cording. This isn`t child labour, it`s contributing to the family economy.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
10/23/2004 9:13:10 AM
The Bold is Back (to ALMOST quote Elton John)! The new carpet will be full of noxious chemicals, but here`s another thing to check. Are your ceilings made of ceiling tile - either the suspended system on a grid or the type stapled to the ceiling? Do they look new? If so, the ceiling may be the culprit. We had radiators burst and a massive flood in the last high school where I taught in Ontario (school board turned the heat way down over the Christmas holidays to save money, don`t ask, there was no logical answer) and had to have, amongst many other things, 800 ceiling tiles replaced. Each tile was two feet by four feet. This being a BIG rush order, the supplier didn`t wait for them to be cured properly. Immediately, teachers and hundreds of kids had headaches, flu symptoms, started throwing-up, running eyes, noses, ears, itchy skin, trouble breathing (this was before the mold started to grow)all of which were traced back to the ceiling tiles. So 800 tiles were taken out. After black tar dripped through for ten days, 800 new, cured tiles were installed. We told everyone we knew not to buy any ceiling tiles on a `January special` as we were sure the company intended to resell them, as they took them out very carefully.
Is there a local health inspector you could call in? Health/building offices should have testing equipment which can find the source fairly quickly. Talk to your landlady. Sit outside to knit to make your point.

Jump onto the problem.
Alice
Salt Spring Island
10/25/2004 9:09:50 AM
Einstein SOS call...can any plse help? Stripes will work on the sleeves, you just need to be a bit careful. Visualize that you are knitting the sleeve back and forth on your circular needle BUT with the seam on the outside of the arm, instead of the inside. Always change colour with the right side facing you. Make sure that your edge slip-stitches at the start of rows and edge-stitches at the ends of rows are firm and neat. Then your stripes will match up when you sew the seam.

Another possibility for dealing with the ends is: leave fairly long ends as you knit - say 6 inches - knot firmly with a reef knot (square knot) on the edge (tie the knot after you have knitted two more rows, so that you can snug up the tension). Sew the seam with the ends on the RIGHT side. Then braid the ends, covering the seam, in French-braid style. Drop and cut off some ends as you add others. This makes a neat, colourful finish with any bulk on the outside. It also ties the many colours together visually.

Wearing an Einstein is addictive - especially if you are in and out of the car a lot. Best coat for the ferry by far!!!!!

Alice
Salt Spring Island
10/26/2004 10:02:08 AM
IKEA If you go onto www.ikea.com, you can select your country and then `home shopping`, browse the catalogue to your heart`s content, order, and wait for the delivery man. The stores are fun, but so is the catalogue. The quality is very even, so you can trust what you see to be what you expect.

When you live on an island and don`t own a pick-up truck, on-line becomes a shopping adventure. Hey, we all found elann, didn`t we. Because we live within the 20 mile radius from Duncan on Vancouver Island, I can order from Staples and have next-day free delivery on `office supply` orders over $50. An ink cartridge pack for my printer costs more than that. I`m seriously considering ordering $50 worth of file cards for notes for my thesis as I forget to get them in Victoria last week. They are only sold in packages of 50 here, nicely done up, but excess packaging when I really need a case. So far my stack of notes is 4 inches high and I`ve hardly begun.

I`m knitting the bottom (going downwards) on the second sleeve of my alpaca shirt as I read "Public or Private Education?"

Give IKEA a whirl.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
10/29/2004 3:06:49 PM
What Kind of Knitter Are You? I came back as a knitting goddess. It`s a fun quiz.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
10/29/2004 3:06:49 PM
What kind of knitter are you? I came back as a knitting goddess. It`s a fun quiz.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
10/31/2004 10:02:49 PM
copyright laws Hi Libby
You need to be very careful, selling an item using someone else`s pattern is in a small way stealing that pattern. Traditional shapes are so generic that nobody owns the patterns, but as soon as someone publishes a traditional pattern with a specific motif, then that designer owns the pattern for that garment. Copying one pattern from an obscure designer who publishes one pattern very two or three years doesn`t sound like much, but if some entrepeneur takes a pattern by Kaffe Fassett or Alice Starmore and has a hundred knitters in Asia knock off even just one garment each, it`s the same crime, just more of it. Patterns = income = livelihood for many designers.
The solution is to contact the designer. For a small fee, you may receive permission to make a certain number of garments for sale. Get that permission in writing. It`s also good to include a short statement crediting the designer on a hang-tag on the garment.
When I occasionally post a pattern here, it`s one I`ve made up, and people are free to try it out for themselves - but, if someone wanted to sell items made from it, I`d want to be consulted. I probably wouldn`t charge anything, because `things to do with knitting` are not my principal source of income, but it would be good to have "Knitted from a design by - - - " on the tag or label.
The patterns I give to the knitters for the sweaters for the North, that are not my own, are ones people have given me permission to use for this purpose. Some people are very generous.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
10/31/2004 10:14:07 PM
Could someone please help me,please. Are you sure that just ten skeins of each is enough?

I e-mailed my DD this morning to have her check out the sneak peak and tell me which colours she liked. She zapped back 13 choices, plus 4 more from Tuesday`s offering! I`m trying to restrain myself to 75 sheins. I even took a leftover ball from last year with me to curling in Duncan this morning, so the other knitters could feel it going over on the ferry.

Must go to bed now, as it goes up here at 6am, and I have to leave the house at 7 for the ferry to Victoria.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25... Last