Alice Trueman - all messages by user

8/20/2004 10:50:05 AM
Wow! Did you see all those new books? Keep those new books coming, Ann. We appreciate them.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
8/20/2004 11:05:21 AM
Norwegian Purl stitch Hi Heather

That`s how I purl - at least the instructions on that site under `Another set of instructions` is how I do it. I keep the yarn BEHIND the left needle (right dominant), which, I think, saves step #4 in the instructions with pictures.
It seems awkward at first, but becomes very quick. My stitches are never twisted - front of stitch is always presented on the next row.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
8/20/2004 11:17:19 AM
Reason for Silence Hi

Thank you so much for your support. I shared your responses with the other two. They really appreciated your thoughts.

No, this has nothing to do with the charity knitting -that`s an entirely different project - it`s Anglican Church outreach. This store was/is to support the transition house for the islands.

Thanks.
Alice
Salt Spring Island
8/20/2004 11:29:33 AM
Getting Together on Salt Spring Hi Everyone
If you are planning to come to Salt Spring next month, I really need to know this week - and receive a deposit. So far I have three people, not enough to rent the farm house, but they can stay at my house.

Dates are September 11th (earliest arrival) to September 20th (final departure). $50CDN/ $40US per day for accommodation and all meals. Spouses/friends welcome - no young children for safety reasons (animals, ponds, hot tub, stairs, etc). Single, double, up to quad lofts for friends. We need 47 bed nights @ $30CDN per night to pay the rent for the farm. At the moment I have 12 booked with the possibility of one person staying longer.

Yes? No? It`s decision time!

Alice
Salt Spring Island
8/21/2004 9:29:23 AM
Getting Together on Salt Spring Hi

My e-mail is trueman@uniserve.com if you want to contact me off-list.

Alice
8/27/2004 9:06:06 AM
Moebius - Cat Bordhi book Hi
Knitting a moebius is definitely an `act of faith`, but amazingly, a shape comes through. I knitted more than a dozen in two months when I unexpectedly had to teach the retreat last year. Plus a number of false starts, practice cast-ons, and samples to show `work in progress`. I found that I had much better control of the `shape` if I used an invisible cast-on in the centre. I tried grafting stitches together on a metallic one after I manually put in the twist - I had nightmares about little copper stitches slipping away to hide had I had that one done.

For those of you knitting moebius scarves, you can make a point to fill in a V-neck by short-rowing on a third to half of the stitches after you have reached the desired width for the part to go behind your neck. This look good worn on a plain dress or sweater, too.
Have a look at the new book, Unexpected Knitting, by Debbie New for some more ideas of what you can do with shapes. Tour cats would just love a knitted conch shell to play with.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
8/27/2004 9:16:33 AM
Length of circular needle Hi Carrie
I use a 24inch circular for just about everything - from shawls to the sleeves of baby sweaters. The trick is to pull a loop of the nylon cable between two stitches to reduce the working length to what you need. When you knit to the loop, just pull out another loop somewhere on the other side of the circle, and keep going round and round.
Another method is to use two circular needles - back to the Annabel and Beatrice technique. Works great. Just snug up the first stitch you knit on each needle.

Despite dire predictions from traditional single-point knitters, I have never broken or severed a cable by pulling a loop through - I have snapped double-points, though.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
8/29/2004 9:35:53 AM
Libby + Wonderful box of yarn Hi Libby

Thank you so very much for the wonderful box of yarn for Dorcas knitting. Really useful. I`m going to put a note in the boxes this year saying that the children are being remembered by people from across the continent.
Hey, if any of you who are close, want to come and help sort and pack the boxes in early November, all help is greatfully received.

Thanks again, Libby
Alice
Salt Spring Island
8/30/2004 8:54:50 AM
Fall on Salt Spring Hi All

I`ve rustled up a couple more people, so on a wing and a prayer, it`s a go. If you are thinking of coming, and are reluctant to sign up, do so now! Get after those friends and relations, we need them. If this breaks even, we could do it every fall.

Seaplane from Seattle into Salt Spring and Amtrak up the coast into Vancouver both work well. Patti is coming for the week on the train, so if you are hesitant, you could join up with her in the Seattle area. The bus for the ferry leaves from the train station in Vancouver - this bus drives onto the big ferry so all you have to do stay in your seat until you are aboard.
Haven`t lost a knitter yet, it`s not difficult to get here.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
8/30/2004 8:54:50 AM
Fall on Salt Spring Hi All

I`ve rustled up a couple more people, so on a wing and a prayer, it`s a go. If you are thinking of coming, and are reluctant to sign up, do so now! Get after those friends and relations, we need them. If this breaks even, we could do it every fall.

Seaplane from Seattle into Salt Spring and Amtrak up the coast into Vancouver both work well. Patti is coming for the week on the train, so if you are hesitant, you could join up with her in the Seattle area. The bus for the ferry leaves from the train station in Vancouver - this bus drives onto the big ferry so all you have to do stay in your seat until you are aboard.
Haven`t lost a knitter yet, it`s not difficult to get here.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
8/30/2004 7:48:10 PM
Alice I finally mailed your boxes Many thanks! Should arrive sooner unless its coming by sea via Japan. All yarn is much appreciated, by a whole range of knitters of afghans, sweaters, toques, scarves, baby outfits, etc.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
8/31/2004 8:07:50 PM
Fast like an answer quick... Hi Carrie

This trick works well if you have the same rib at the bottom of the garment.
1. Flatten the front on a solid surface, pat it or stretch it a little to get the gauge just right.
2. Measure eleven inches (or the length you need), put a long straight pin through the knitting at 0 and another at 11.
3. Trace straight down into the ribbing from the pin at 0 and put in another pin, then do the same at 11.
4. Count the number of ribbing stitches between these pins. The result is the number you need to pick up.

That said, you can fudge a stitch or two, fewer is better than more. It`s more important for the knitting to look neat and trim, than to have an exact number of stitches.
Decrease at the V - keep the centre stitch constant (makes more sense if you have an odd number of stitches, but if you have an even number, pick the best one and stay with it) and decrease either side on every other row - k2tog, k1, ssk or ssk, k1, k2tog depending on which look you prefer.
Another method is - Slip 1, k2tog, pass the slipped stitch over.
Reusing yarn for picking up - As soon as the yarn begins to look frazzled, break it off and start a new end.

Sequencing - knit the knits and purl the purls. The first decrease will present itself as a {knit, purl}, then the centre stitch, and {purl, knit} for the second decrease. On the next decrease row, it will be {purl, knit} before the centre stitch and {knit purl} after. Then the third one will be the same as the first. If you snug up the decreases, they should look even when you are finished.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
9/6/2004 11:08:06 AM
I`ve returned from `heaven` aka Salt Spring Island Hi
Had a great day with Jamie and her friend. It was a busy knitting day, as a knitter, who is moving to Salt Spring from LA, arrived on the ferry Jamie and Mary were departing on. Peri and I waved good bye as Jamie drove onto the ferry.
Still a few spaces for the get-together this month. Anyone coming to this part of the world at other times, be sure to tell me so that we can meet up somewhere.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
9/9/2004 9:24:45 AM
Bea - how`s the rogue? Hi Les

Bring the pattern and the yarn next week, We`ll get it all sorted out.
Same applies to all those coming to Salt Spring, we can problem-solve together.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
9/9/2004 10:12:24 AM
Heather L, Salt Spring next week Hi Heather
I can`t find your e-mail addi - I`m trying to send you the emergency contact numbers for next week. Please e-mail me at trueman@uniserve.com

Still a few available nights if more of you would like to come for a day or two.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
9/10/2004 7:49:45 AM
Looking for... Hi
Beehive Wool in Victoria, BC, stocks 76 colours of Canadiana at $3.29US for a 85 gram ball with 182 yards. The shop can be found at:

www.beehivewool.com

These are good people to do business with, they`ll ship anywhere. You can phone and get a real person! The store has been around for about a hundred years (literally)and stocks some really interesting specialty yarns as well as the usual. Not at elann prices, though!

Alice
Salt Spring Island
9/10/2004 7:49:45 AM
looking for... Hi
Beehive Wool in Victoria, BC, stocks 76 colours of Canadiana at $3.29US for a 85 gram ball with 182 yards. The shop can be found at:

www.beehivewool.com

These are good people to do business with, they`ll ship anywhere. You can phone and get a real person! The store has been around for about a hundred years (literally)and stocks some really interesting specialty yarns as well as the usual. Not at elann prices, though!

Alice
Salt Spring Island
9/10/2004 7:56:41 AM
Thank You, Benne Hi Benne

Thank you so much fot the two wonderful boxes of yarn for Dorcas knitting which arrived in the mail. Just great for knitting for the North. I`m going to put a letter in the boxes this year explaining where the yarn for the sweaters, etc, came from. THe electric wool winder from Sharon, too. Will really, really try to get the villages to send back pictures this year. I`m thinking that if I sent a film up, it could be sent back here for me to get developed. Must work at that.

Thanks again
Alice
Salt Spring Island
9/10/2004 8:47:29 AM
Pingouin vertical striped sweater in Confort Hi Garcia
There are several ways of knitting Fisherman` Rib, so I hope that I have the same method as your instructions - the finished product will look the same, anyway, but I think that the first one is a little looser.

Cast on with B and an odd number of stitches.
Foundation Row: *Knit one with A, knit one with B* until one stitch remains, Knit one with A

Row 1: Slip one, *Knit one through back of stitch with B, Knit one with A* repeat to end.

Row 2: Slip one, *Knit one B, Knit one through back of stitch with A* repeat to last two stitches, Knit one with B, Knit one with A.

Continue for as long as you need.

Another Method

Foundation Row - *Knit one with A, Knit one with B* repeat to last stitch, Knit one with A

Row 1: Slip one, *Knit one through back of stitch with B, Purl one with A* repeat to end.

Row 2: Slip one, *Purl one with B, Knit one through back of stitch with A* to last two stitches, Purl one with B, knit one with A

Continue for desired length.

Hope this helps.
Alice
Salt Spring Island
9/11/2004 9:15:20 AM
Fall on Salt Spring Hi
The first knitter arrived yesterday afternoon in the pouring rain. Fortunately my DH was on the same ferry and was able to find her, so she could drive off the ferry with him, rather than walk. She has come for a week with lots of knitting. Her name is Patti, and she`s a keeper.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25... Last