Alice Trueman - all messages by user

6/14/2004 9:21:18 AM
Changing colors Hi Carrie

If you find that you get a lot of `blips` when you change colour, knit one row plain (not rib)in between, then, no problem. It works fine to carry colours up the side, just twist every couple of rows and don`t pull tight.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
6/14/2004 9:45:30 AM
What am I missing here? I`ve tried ssk, k2togtbl, and s1k1psso all in row in the Sonata I`m knitting as I read. For me, ssk is tighter and flatter than the others, k2togtbl is the bulkiest, and s1k1psso the stretchiest, but they are all doing the same thing and give the same slant. Look at your k2tog elsewhere in the row and decide which matches best.

I`m on the second sleeve of the slip-stitch pullover for a sample for next week. Edging, then 6 inches of pattern - a band of tulips followed by positively demented-looking cats in glacier blue and light turquoise on a peacock green background - then the rest in the mediterranean sea print. In the mediterranean sea, I`ve purled every 6th stitch in row 6 and than staggered the purls in row 12 and so on. This helps to defuse any blotches of colour.
I measured out 57 yards for the second sleeve and I`m really hoping that I get to the same place as the first sleeve as I have only about 5 yards `extra` from the end of another ball.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
6/17/2004 6:01:41 PM
Anyone Get Their Silk Yet?? I`ve just picked mine up from the mailbox. I ordered two of each for the knitters at the retreat next week. I set the alarm and lept out of bed at 6am on Tuesday morning to be sure I got it. Didn`t get all the colours I wanted last week as I didn`t go on-line until about 8am.

It`s just gorgeous!!!!!! May have to order more to knit something for myself.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
6/18/2004 8:33:05 AM
Anyone Get Their Silk Yet?? I wait with great anticipation!

I`m not sure about the value of extra-postage. Elann boxes always arrive 2 days after I place the order. Arrive means either in a special locked parcel box in our bank of mail boxes down the road (descendant of the original `super-boxes` for Canadians) or waiting for pick-up at a little bright yellow and blue store (circa 1902) at Vesuvius Bay. In either case the box was at the post office in Ganges, sorted, and ready for the rural mail man to take out on the road before 10am. First ferry arrives from the Big Island (Vancouver I) at 7:45am. Ann always sends Expedited Service and the service is just great. Then I had a recall on a library book last week. I paid for X-Press post last Friday. UVic library didn`t receive the book until Wednesday of this week. Conclusion: Canada Post much prefers yarn to books!

Alice
Salt Spring Island
6/19/2004 4:52:01 PM
Has anyone swatched their silk? I`m knitting a cell phone/glasses case for a sample for next week out of the Jeans from last week and the Berry Swirl from this, on 4.5mm in a mosaic slip-stitch pattern. 40 stitches is giving me 2 edge stitches, plus just over 7 inches of pattern. It`s a closely spaced mosaic, so it pull it in a bit. Looks great!
There is a very slight smell, but I don`t think it`ll be noticeable. I`m using an inexpensive Aero circular because it was sitting beside me when I began to think about looking for a needle. The knitting really isn`t sticky, in itself. It`s been over 80 degrees here for the past few days, so the problem is sweaty rather than sticky. This is very hot for us. Our usual temperature range here all year is usually between 4 and 24 degrees Celcius - about 40 and 75F - and it cools down at night.

I just may have to order more of the silk.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
6/30/2004 10:25:44 AM
You`re Wonderful Bets! Yesterday afternoon, I picked up a large brown box from the store at Vesuvius. Bets has mailed us a wonderful array of warm yarns to be knit up by my Dorcas knitters for sweaters for the children in the north. I`ll put a note into the Christmas bales saying that some of the yarn has come all the way from Texas! Thank you so very, very much, Bets.

Yes, I guessed which yarn you meant, but it`ll be just fine knitted up with other colours.

As to the other piece in the box, `you shouldn`t have`, but I`m very flattered. Thank you.

You are all such great people!

Alice
Salt Spring Island
6/30/2004 5:41:27 PM
You`re Wonderful Bets! Good idea.

Address until I post bio is:

Alice Trueman
255 Canvasback Place
Salt Spring Island
British Columbia, Canada V8K 2W5
7/3/2004 8:05:49 AM
Having a terrible week Hi Pat

There`s nothing wrong with having a good whine.
Now, a practical suggestion - set aside a certain number of hours per week on a schedule for your school work. If you need a certain night for something else, do that evening`s study time BEFORE the date, so that you can go out with a clear conscience. Stick to the time allotted and you`ll be amazed that you really do get the work done without being overwhelmed.
Read selectively! A fellow grad student and I got really skilled last winter at choosing the shortest articles on the reading list for the week and then going off to the copy shop and each making two copies of half of them. He`s very good looking, about 27, long dark wavy hair below his shoulders, plays in a rock band that opens for big name groups, and plays hockey on the side - we couldn`t have been less alike, but we were good conspirators as we giggled over the chore.
Skim the boring readings and concentrate on the interesting ones! Be enthused with your advisor about a few points, and she`ll be content with your thoughtful insights!
Also, you probably require `good standing` and not A+.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
7/3/2004 8:46:07 AM
Alice - how was your knitting week? Hi
The retreat went really well! Everyone made good progress, both with mosaic knitting and with fair isle. I think they all finished a mosaic cell phone/glasses case, and some made several. There was one finished fair isle tam by the time they left. I received a picture of another yesterday, and the rest are to send me photos by the end of July. Then I`ll post the pics - if my son does not get my web site up, he`ll have to post them on his! That should be enough incentive to spur him to action.
They liked the silk yarn, but really went for the denim on the cones. I had ordered one cone of each of the three blues and the off-white. I knitted a sample of each project with it beforehand, so they knew how it would turn out. They wound off balls of what they needed. Some knitted wool ones with yarn they had brought with them.
The yarn dyeing with Wilton icing colours went very well. We used some Emu superwash in off-white with darker spots that Patsy had a great deal of left over from some project in the distant past. Each knitter wound 6 or more 15 yard skeins from her 50g ball, tied them, cooked some in a dye bath in the microwave, and painted others and baked them. After they were rinsed clear, we hung them all along the snake fence to dry. Quick, non-toxic, colourful results. A grade 3 teacher in the group is going to try it with her class, a college prof in fibre arts thought it was a good intro to dyeing for her students.
The weather was sunny and hot! After class and outings, everyone gather on the shady porch to knit. We visited an alpaca farm, petted them, and had a good introduction to different grades of alpaca yarn. At the mixed-fibre farm that we often go to, there were baby angora goats this year, in addition to the sheep and llamas.
The kitchen scraps at Sunset Farm go to Wilbur, the pig. He is now nine years old and weighs some 900 pounds. Originally, he was to become bacon, but now he is living a pleasant life in open fields with clumps of shade trees and a muddy creek. He was a big hit with the knitters - he`s a huge contented pig who is very photogenic.
Next year is going to be cables and celtic knots - by popular request.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
7/3/2004 9:14:19 AM
Sneak Peek section? Hi
The answer to the quandry is simple - just order more yarn! If your yearly total exceeds a mere $150US, your next year`s subscription to the newsletter comes free. This is a bargain too good to be missed, so in the interest of economy, increase that stash!

Alice
Salt Spring Island
7/5/2004 3:37:35 PM
HELLLLLPPPPP!!! Hi Fran

Have you tried this site:
http://www.purrfection.com/
Not exactly toggles, but some interesting buttons tou may like.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
7/9/2004 9:55:35 AM
I`m in a dilemma using short-row shaping! Hi Carrie

Do one more row after your last short row - it can be a knit or purl row. You can ONLY knit up the wraps on the next row (this final row). There are various explanations about for picking up wraps on knit or purl rows, but if you look carefully at your knitting when you come to a wrap, you`ll see how you need to pick up the wrap together with the stitch it surrounds and knit or purl the two strands together.

After you have knitted across the wraps, estimate how much yarn you will need for the 3-needle bind-off (at least one inch per stitch for medium weight yarns) and leave a tail that long. You only need the long tails on either the front shoulders or the back shoulders. Once you have cut the yarn, use the same ball for the other side.

Leave the stitches from the final row on a stitch holder or a spare circular needle until you need them. It is possible to do the bind-off straight from the stitch holder, but you need to watch really closely so that you do not drop any stitches. Two circular needles give you the three ends you need for the bind-off.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
7/9/2004 10:06:37 AM
September on Salt Spring Hi Everyone

So far I have received three deposits for September - Lesley, Heather L., and Cheryl. I haven`t put these cheques in the bank yet, as I am waiting for more people. I know it`s summer, but you do need to commit, if you want to come. Sandy has given us a 35% reduction in the rent for the farm because we are knitters, but we do have to have enough people to pay the rent. At $50CDN per day for accommodation, food, and good fellowship, it`s as economical a break from routine as you will get anywhere!!!

Alice
Salt Spring Island

So far I have received three deposits for September - Lesley, Heather L., and Cheryl. I haven`t put these cheques in the bank yet, as I am waiting for more people. I know it`s summer, but you do need to commit, if you want to come. Sandy has given us a 35% reduction in the rent for the farm because we are knitters, but we do have to have enough people to pay the rent. At $50CDN per day for accommodation, food, and good fellowship, it`s as economical a break from routine as you will get anywhere!!!

Alice
Salt Spring Island

Alice
Salt Spring Island

Alice
Salt Spring Island
7/10/2004 10:00:35 AM
Heather, Heather, Heather.... Hi Heather

Make sure that you don`t hibernate, be seen out there in the community with your head high. You`ll be amazed at how much support you receive. Accept every invitation for yourself and DS to a meal. This is an old `starving student` routine, but there`s nothing wrong with doing it. It saves on the food bill, and you may be given a bag of veggies from the garden to take home. The host gets a warm, fuzzy feeling, and you get the reputation of strength and control of your life, and being a really good mother.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
7/12/2004 8:57:19 AM
Salt Spring Fall Fair Hi Shelley and others who may be interested in participating

The best source that I have found for information about the Fall Fair is as follows:
http://www.saltspringmarket.com/salt_spring_island/fallfair.htm

Contacts are: Farmers Institute: 250-537-4755

Fall Fair Co-ordinator: 250-537-2484 - this number will get you to Richard and Lynell Vipond

Shelley, stress that you are from an other `little` island. I know that there are off-island vendors, but they try to avoid the `big city` types.

Maybe a bunch of you could go in together on a table, and pay for your trip???

Alice
Salt Spring Island
7/12/2004 9:21:14 AM
Need close fitting hooded cardi pattern Hi Lesley,
A highly successful hoody pattern with DD (age 23) was the Sumburgh Hooded Pullover in Jamieson`s Shetland Knitting Book #1. This is a pullover with a buttoned placket front that could be extended downwards to make it a cardigan. It`s plain, but you could add a cable of your choice if she really wants one. I knitted it at 17st=4inches, so it was a good snug fit. Dani wore it to class under a shirt or vest - rather like a second skin. But she wore it! and wore it and wore it! Definitely the fashion with students, when I looked around. Me, I wore t-shirts and cotton knit tops as I found buildings on campus very warm. But then I`m older, live on a breezy island, and she lives in Victoria and was paying her own heat last winter.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
7/12/2004 9:42:07 AM
technical question about the long tail cast-on I use the `long tail` for the wraps around my left thumb (I`m right-handed)and knit through the wrap with the yarn from the ball in my right hand, to get the stitch onto the needle. *[wrap left,knit right]* per stitch until I reach the number of stitches I need. It is possible to use both ends of the same ball - tie ends together before the slipknot - then you just snip off the one you don`t need for the knitting (leave a 4 inch tail). No worries about running short or having a lot of extra length in the tail.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25... Last