Alice Trueman - all messages by user

5/30/2004 9:38:59 AM
Hey Les Bets
If you cast off 2 inches of stitches for the modified drop shoulder on each side of back and front, the shoulders will be the same 2 inches narrower on each side, which will make a big difference to the fit. 3 inches would be narrower, and 4 inches even more so. On the `Magic Grid` in the spring Knitter`s, the cast-off`s for the middle size came to 4 inches each side, and it`s fine.

Watch the sleeve length - arms do not grow along with girth.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
5/30/2004 10:01:14 AM
To Marion: Hi
Fair isle is not difficult. Before you even start, forget the old `rule` about twisting yarns with every colour change. You will not get big holes, nor will the knitting fall apart if you don`t. You won`t get the traditional big tangled mess either.

Here is the easiest way: choose something you can knit in the round, from a sweater for a man with a 56" chest to a case for your cell phone, and knit it on circular needle(s). If the circumference is small, you will need two needles the same size. Just like knitting socks, you will have half your stitches on Annabel and half on Beatrice. Knit Annabel`s stitches with the other point of Annabel, and Beatrice`s with Beatrice.
Put colour A yarn beside you on your left, and colour B on your right. Knit the stitches with A `continental` style and the stitches with B `English` style (if you are right dominant - reverse if you are left - doesn`t matter if you are ambi). The yarns never get twisted, all the stitches are knit, the pattern is always facing you, so you see mistakes right away.
For a good technique to eliminate stranding on the reverse side, have a look at either the book or the video by Ann and Eugene Bourgeois of Philosopher`s Wool (I think elann carries the book). Technique is much easier than it looks - basically, you are `catching` the yarn not in use to move it along with you, so that it`s right there when you need it.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
5/30/2004 10:01:14 AM
To Marion: Hi
Fair isle is not difficult. Before you even start, forget the old `rule` about twisting yarns with every colour change. You will not get big holes, nor will the knitting fall apart if you don`t. You won`t get the traditional big tangled mess either.

Here is the easiest way: choose something you can knit in the round, from a sweater for a man with a 56" chest to a case for your cell phone, and knit it on circular needle(s). If the circumference is small, you will need two needles the same size. Just like knitting socks, you will have half your stitches on Annabel and half on Beatrice. Knit Annabel`s stitches with the other point of Annabel, and Beatrice`s with Beatrice.
Put colour A yarn beside you on your left, and colour B on your right. Knit the stitches with A `continental` style and the stitches with B `English` style (if you are right dominant - reverse if you are left - doesn`t matter if you are ambi). The yarns never get twisted, all the stitches are knit, the pattern is always facing you, so you see mistakes right away.
For a good technique to eliminate stranding on the reverse side, have a look at either the book or the video by Ann and Eugene Bourgeois of Philosopher`s Wool (I think elann carries the book). Technique is much easier than it looks - basically, you are `catching` the yarn not in use to move it along with you, so that it`s right there when you need it.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
5/31/2004 10:02:33 AM
A little good cheer on a Monday morning That`s great. I think I`ll pass it on to the ACW (Anglican Church Women).
As in the movie, `Calendar Girls`, I am the Dorcas Secretary for the Diocese of British Columbia because my friend who was doing it "Up and died". Basically, we send Christmas bales to nine poor parishes across northern British Columbia from the Queen Charlotte Islands to close to the Alberta border, so that each child gets a new, hand-knit sweater, toque, mitts, etc, plus slippers and afghans for the elderly, baby sets, blankets, quilts, layettes for babies, and toques, scarves, mitts for adults. Each bale has about 40 sweaters, 15 baby outfits, 40 each toques, mitts, scarves, slippers, 4 quilts, 8 baby blankets, etc, etc, etc, all times 9, so you can visualize the magnitude of the knitting involved. Patsy and I now make up kits with yarn and a pattern ( either share-ware or else I obtained permission to use or else I wrote up myself - NOT from books or leaflets) so we now have much better quality control.
The poem should spur them on to more action, and greater activity. The average age of the knitters is about 80.

Hey, if anyone would like to knit for us, just send me an e-mail. It`s an Anglican organization (Episcopalian), but any needy child is helped. The knitters certainly are certainly not all Anglican, or Christian, just people being helpful.

Alice
SAlt Spring Island
6/1/2004 8:47:17 AM
Gina, this calls for help from the onsite design mavens Hi
Another possibility is to knit the various border pieces as the pattern says, and then extend the pattern that is above the big XXX`s until you have the extra length you need. This appears to be flat in the centre stitches with X cables on either side. I think it would be more flattering to extend the flat section in centre front rather than a cable section. Cables over a not-completely-flat tummy can protrude.

I don`t have the pattern - I`m looking at the picture on elann search, but it should work just to elongate a section.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
6/1/2004 8:52:48 AM
Anyone want some free yarn? Hi
Any gratefully accepted for Dorcas knitting - see my post under the knitting poem put up yesterday. We only have limited funds to buy yarn, so rely heavily on donations. Where are you? My little island is between the mainland and Vancouver Island SOUTH of the 49th Parallel.

Tell me more!

Alice
Salt Spring Island
6/4/2004 6:00:11 PM
Yarn for Dorcas Knitting for the North You wonderful people!
The `headquarters` for making up the yarn kits is my house. We have storage at a church in Victoria for the finished articles, but everything else seems to end up here.

Address is:
Alice Trueman
255 Canvasback Place
Salt Spring Island, British Columbia, Canada
V8K 2W5

Any yarn that is machine washable and dryable (also think washed in a big pot on the stove) is gratefully accepted. Bright colours are wonderful. We have clothed whole villages in multi-coloured stripes, but that`s fine. Cheery is good. Any weight from baby to bulky/chunky.

Many, many thanks.
Alice
Salt Spring Island
6/6/2004 9:49:07 AM
Yarn for Dorcas Knitting for the North Hi
Sock yarn is useful, either for socks or for baby clothes. Bright colours are cheery!
Mohair/hairy stuff is fine as long as it is machine washable. I have a wonderful pattern for a little garter-stitch coat/sweater that people love knitting because it`s so cute. It`s been done several times in mohair.
Small quantities are fine - we specialize in stripes!!!!
Labelling as `gift` should do it. With `free trade` there should not be duty on yarn, just GST (federal tax at 7%) on stated value. Usually, non-commercial `gifts` slide through without this being applied.
If you live anywhere near this part of the world,I`m sure we can arrange drop-off/ pick-up somewhere. Lake Cowichan, I can run up and collect. Duncan is a good drop-off point as I have copious family members and ACW members there. Vancouver is possible, as I have a son in the West End (I can hear the `Mother!` across the water, but he`ll do it cheerfully enough), but he doesn`t drive, so you`d need to get it to him. Victoria is fine, too, as I have a daughter there at UVic, or else I can collect it as I go over fairly often. Pender Island is good, especially if you are going to Bedwell Harbour by boat.
Seattle might be possible as I have knitters driving up for the retreat.
Or come to Salt Spring in September for the fall fair and bring it with you.

Many, many thanks
Alice
Salt Spring Island
6/6/2004 10:49:53 PM
Yarn for Dorcas Knitting for the North Hi Bets
I think putting it in the post is the best way, cheapest and most reliable. Courier companies tend to charge high brokerage fees for taking parcels across the border.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
6/6/2004 11:57:15 PM
Alice-What exactly does a knitting Dorcas group do? Hi All
Dorcas is an outreach project of the Anglican Church Women (ACW), which before `modernization` several decades ago was the Women`s Association (WA). If you have seen the movie "Calendar Girls", that`s the ACW group, right on. Patsy and I watched the movie in our local theatre, and laughed so hard we nearly slipped out of our seats. (Local theatre = Central Hall, vintage 1896, which doubles as assembly room for a local religious sect, polling station for elections, location for pot luck suppers, etc. Fritz, the resident cat, watches the movie from the back row if it interests him, if he`s seen it, he goes out and sleeps on the porch.)
The WA/ACW started in this diocese in January, 1905, earlier in eastern Canada. The intent was to provide fellowship and a sense of community for women helping in church work. It has tended to be an older group than Mother`s Guilds, and more diverse than Altar Guilds. Dorcas was the name originally attached to those providing clothing for the needy, and the name has continued. In early days, making clothing for the children in church-run Indian residential schools would have been a large part of the work, then with WWI, would have come knitting and making bandages for those overseas, then the 30`s, WWII, and refugees. I`m not sure just when this diocese adopted the Diocese of Caledonia, but it was a long time ago. We send Christmas bales to the villages and small towns of Masset, Old Massett, Port Edward, Hazelton, Houston, Burns Lake, Vanderhoof, Fort St. James, and Pouce Coupe - from the Pacific to the Alberta border.

Typically, each bale contains 40 each of sweaters, toques, mitts, scarves, slippers, 20-30 baby sets and sweaters, 8 baby sleepers, 4-6 fleece sleepers, 2 layettes, baby vests, hats, booties, 6 -8 baby afghans, some pairs of socks, 12 - 16 afghans in S, M, L sizes, 2-4 quilts, 20 joy bags (necessities like soap, tooth brush, pencil, paper, pins, a comb, kleenex) for people sent to hospital unexpectedly, and a few small toys. All the articles are new and 98% made by members, and their friends and neighbours.
How many people knit and make quilts? I really don`t know. Each parish takes contributions to deanery meetings and then they come on to me. Sometimes names are included, but usually not. I think that they are almost entirely women, but not necessarily Anglican or even Christian. Average age must be well over 80. Knitting for Dorcas gives them a purpose too. Some set quotas for themselves, and make sure they fill them. A Tuesday morning quilters group in Victoria is now just 3 women, the youngest of whom is 91, but they turned out their 20 quilts last fall. Anyone here on the island, who even suggests she has idle time, gets a sweater kit thrust into her hands by me.
Most useful projects are sweaters, mitts, toques for children, and afghans and slippers for the elderly.
Then there`s the teddy bear project - I`m not quite sure how I inherited it, but I seem to be the collector of hundreds of knitted, stuffed bears. Originally they were sent to an orphanage in the Phillipines, then we became part of the much larger Bears group, and they get sent to war zones with peacekeepers, to floods and earthquakes around the world. Later this month, 60 volunteers from the Pentecostal Church in Victoria are off to Africa to work at an orphanage, a school, and other projects in Uganda, and they`ll all slip bears from my `bear bin` into their suitcases for the orphanage.
There`s a standard pattern for the bears and their knitted-on clothing, if anyone is interested.
It`s almost midnight, so I had better go to bed now. Do ask any more questions.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
6/9/2004 10:59:14 AM
Sentimental Journey Hi Jamie

Let me know when you are coming to Salt Spring.

Victoria is a great city, too. Wonderful shopping, much better than you would expect for a place of its size. Also, compact downtown, you can walk!

We came back to the West Coast after being in Alberta, Quebec, and Ontario for over 30 years. You can go back! We hadn`t lived on Salt Spring before, Mark had been in Victoria and I in Maple Bay (outside of Duncan) and Victoria.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
6/9/2004 11:45:49 AM
Gathering on Salt Spring in September Hi All

Lesley and I have been e-mailing back and forth and have decided it`s time to make a commitment.
Rent for the house at Sunset Farm is $1400CDN for Saturday September 11th to Monday the 20th. There are more beds at my house (10 minutes away), if we have an over-flow for certain nights, which will be included at no extra cost. Everyone will be at the farm from breakfast to bedtime. Fall Fair is the 18th and 19th, which I expect will be the busiest time, but come earlier, stay longer. Staying past the 20th is an option at my house, but not at the farm.

The $1400 works out to 47 bed-nights at $30CDN per bed-night, which is 16 people for 3 nights each or any combination thereof. Food I`m budgeting at $20CDN per day per person. I will cook, but cleanup, dishes (there`s a dishwasher), bedmaking, bathrooms, vacuuming, laundry, etc must be shared, this is a holiday at cost. Lesley will keep a duty roster. This way, we should be able to manage well at $50CDN/$40US per night. If there is any money left over, I`m suggesting (if Ann is willing) that it be put into electronic elann gift certificates in proportion to the number of days each person stayed. The more people who come, the bigger your gift certificate. Friends and spouses welcome at the same rate. Ann is an honourary attendee if she is able to come over for a day.

We need a $100CDN/$80US per person non-refundable deposit, to reserve your place. Please fill out the following:

Name:
Address:

e-mail: Phone:

Dates: Sept 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

Accommodation: choose one of the following:

Single room Double room-queen bed Double room-2beds
Loft: 4 beds

Deposit: $100CDN $80US
Travel: arriving by: Ferry Float Plane Boat
Need to be met: Yes No

Rooms will be assigned on a first-come basis as far as I am able. If you want a single, apply early (3 possible singles at the farm, one at my house). The singles all have double beds and can take a cot for a second bed. Loft at the farm is 4 singles, at my house is a double plus singles. Bathroom on each floor at either house.
Questions? Just ask.

This should be great fun!!!!
Alice
Salt Spring Island
6/10/2004 10:07:37 AM
Okay, Marion, release the knitting elves The magic number here seems to be 48 inches. Our hydro line had to be buried four feet under our driveway. We didn`t blast for the house or the driveway, but we sure had to for that ditch. Of course, the power came from the underground box on the roadside right in line with a switchback in the driveway, so $1200 later, we had a `conforming` trench four feet deep in solid rock. Although the hydro inspector had stood on the load of sand to fill in on top of the cable when he came to check the trench, after we had had the backhoe operator do the fill-in, he came back and decided that he didn`t like it and wanted to have different sand. Back came the backhoe and took it back out, moved it, and waited for the new load to arrive. Bureaucracy, go figure!
I sat on a sawhorse, knitted, and glowered while this process was going on. I did lots of Dorcas knitting at coffee break times, the year we built, but all in dark, mottled colours.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
6/11/2004 9:19:39 AM
Marion re: fair isle Hi
Make ALL your colour changes in the centre front steek.
I prefer to have at least 2 stitches for the steek, I feel more secure, and can cut up between them. Also you`ll have a little more to overcast to the back of the bands. If you pick-up your bands BEFORE you cut, the whole thing is more stable. I usually pick up 2 stitches for every 3 rows as I don`t like saggy bands.
Sorry that I have to run to the store now, but ask more if this isn`t clear enough.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
6/11/2004 6:13:28 PM
Marion re: fair isle Sew across all the ends with the machine stitching to hold them securely. If you knit double bands, trim the ends to about one inch after you have sewn, then just leave them in the middle when you hand sew the band back onto itself.
For single bands, you can make a neat french braid with the ends on each side, and just tack it down. Another method is to cut them 1 to 2 inches long and overcast them to the inside edge of the band.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
6/12/2004 9:28:29 AM
Beach skirt Hi Lesley
Should work fine, plus you will have holes to thread elastic or I-cord through.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
6/13/2004 9:49:37 AM
Okay, Marion, release the knitting elves We don`t get much frost here, only a couple of inches at most. It is the northern reach of Mediterranean climate. The geraniums on the deck froze last winter, but they had survived the two previous winters, even though they are exposed as we are quite high. We have palm trees here, they are a bit short,but they are palms. The foundation of the house is tied to solid rock with re-bar every 24 inches (glued into 20inch deep drilled holes - I glued them all) but that`s for earthquakes not for cold.
Water lines here, too, are sort of wherever it`s convenient. Our first rental house, here, the line wandered outside and then in again to get to a powder room. It froze, just before Christmas, when family were arriving. Once I got it thawed, I debated knitting it a snuggly but decided it would have to shiver as we were moving in two weeks.
Dyed a whole lot of samples of DK super-wash with Wilton icing colour last week. It takes VERY little colour for tweedy lighter colours. Four minutes in a water/vinegar bath in the micro-wave seems to do it.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
6/14/2004 8:50:30 AM
Schachenmary Princess Pullovers - Version II Hi Doreen
Yes, You`ve got it. The decrease are into the patterned part rather than at the edge. The two pattern stitches after the edge stitch are probably fairly firm (not a bunch of YO and holes) or else they are something like K K YO, in which case, you`ll have a neat slanted line of eyelets. Then you do the reverse at the other end of the row.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
6/14/2004 9:08:41 AM
YARN for ALICE Great!!!
Many thanks.
Rest of you, I need deposits for September, so that I can give a deposit for the farmhouse. The owner is a single, farming mom whose daughter graduates from U of Guelph next week and is going on to vet school.
If you are driving, bringing yarn for Dorcas with you will work fine.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
6/14/2004 9:21:18 AM
Changing colors Hi Carrie

If you find that you get a lot of `blips` when you change colour, knit one row plain (not rib)in between, then, no problem. It works fine to carry colours up the side, just twist every couple of rows and don`t pull tight.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25... Last