Alice Trueman - all messages by user

5/10/2004 10:12:35 PM
PatW -travel info Hi Bets

I just did a quick check of on-line fares for mid-September - you would definitely be better-off to fly into Seattle-Tacoma International. NW is showing Houston-SeaTac at $405CDN which is about $300US and Delta at $433CDN. Then you could take the boat to Victoria, B.C. from Seattle or else meet up with people driving from Seattle area.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
5/13/2004 7:41:27 AM
This got buried! Hi

Yes, I`ll certainly join in activities. I`m volunteering to cook, not clean-up, make beds, or clean bathrooms! Think of it as camp with everyone doing chores - but more fun than doing them at home.

I`ll check with Sandy today about availability.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
5/14/2004 9:09:37 PM
Meeting on Salt Spring Hi
I managed to track down Sandy, owner of the farm tonight. It would be available for the week ENDING Sept
21st. for $1400CDN for the week for 8 people (56 bednights). This is for 4 singles in the large loft with bathroom, large bedroom with queen-size bed and bath nearby on the mainfloor, two rooms with double beds and a third room with a queen, and a bathroom, on the garden level. An extra cot can be put into any of the rooms with a double or queen. At my house, I have a room down with a double bed and a large loft up with a double bed, plus 3 good cots with spring mattresses that can be set up in either of the above, or in a good-sized family room downstairs, all with ocean view. Bathrooms on up and down levels. All meals etc would be at Sunset Farm, but it`s only 10 minutes away. No charge for beds at my house, but all bodies should pay a share of the $1400 regardless of where they sleep. Not everyone will be able to come for the whole week, so I think Sandy will be agreeable for more than 8 for some nights provided that there are fewer for others. So, if 14 people came, an even share would be $100CDN (about $75US) for up to 7 nights. Pro-rating is possible provided that we have enough to pay Sandy her $1400. Food - I budget $1500CDN for food for the week for the retreat, which feeds 8 to 10 knitters plus crew (ends up being about 14-15 people) for 6 nights, plus crew for an extra day. This should give you an idea of basic costs. Providing that a few people bring cars, we can work out on-island transportation. Mark, I, or Patsy can meet ferries and float planes when you arrive. (Mark has become quite fearless at collecting up knitters whom he has never met!)
This should be great fun!
Comments?

Alice
Salt Spring Island
5/15/2004 8:42:55 AM
Meeting on Salt Spring Ending date at the farm would be Monday September 21st, so arrival would be from Monday the 14th. Fall Fair is the 18th and 19th. Artcraft is open until the end of the fair. Anyone needing to stay beyond Monday the 21st can stay at my house for a day or two. (ie Kenmore Air from Seattle does not fly to Salt Spring on Mondays except in high season)
I don`t think that vacating Sunset Farm can be any later than the 21st, because Sandy`s son is about to start building a house, so he, his wife, and three young children need to move in - Sandy thinks she`ll leave home!
On BC Ferries - www.bcferries.com - September 2004 schedule will be in effect - NOT SUMMER - HIGH SEASON.
Just click on Southern Gulf Islands, schedules, upcoming schedules, and scroll down to the dates. For those who can only come for the weekend,the `midnight express` leaves Tsawwassen at 10:25pm and gets in just before midnight.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
5/15/2004 9:33:01 AM
Skirts, anyone? In previous urban lifetimes, I knitted a number of suits, mostly for me, but one for my conservative, English mother in Channel-style in coral- tweedy wool that looked sensational on her.
I always lined the skirt, and sometimes the jacket, and sometimes not, depending on the style.
Basic procedure for a classic skirt: Cast-on enough stitches for generous fit over the hips - 4 inches or more of ease is good, mark the start of the row and the mid-point (the two sides of the skirt), join. Knit ribbing, moss-stitch, or a turned hem at the bottom, in the round. Knit up, in the round, about 6 inches so that you can see what it looks like. Then measure the bod carefully to determine the distance between the intended waist-point and the widest part of the hips. Subtract this measurement from the total length of the skirt, (ie 26 inches - 9.5 inches = 16.5 inches), add an inch = 17.5 inches.
Now check the circumference of your 6 inch piece, if it is bigger than you need, decrease a stitch each side of the markers every few inches ( knit to 4 stitches before the marker, k2tog, k2, move marker, k2, ssk): if it is too small, increase in same places. Continue knitting until your tube reaches 17.5 inches. Then start decreasing in the same way at both sides every inch. When you reach 21 inches decrease for 2 darts on front and 2 on back as well. At 26 inches, mark, and knit another inch for a fold-over waist band. This top-edge must be big enough to STRETCH over the hips.

Go and buy the best quality, light, subtle, woven, anti-static, non-stretch lining material that you can find - you only need the length of your skirt. Cut the lining to finish ONE INCH SMALLER than the skirt, with the seam at the CENTRE BACK, decrease slightly above the hip mark, but it must be big enough to go over your hips, so that you can put on your skirt. Sew the back seam, leaving the bottom 8 inches free. Flat finish hem and sides of the slit. Turn the skirt inside out, position the lining, wrong sides together, two inches above the bottom of the skirt. Mark the waist point of the skirt on the lining, and cut off the excess. Sew the top of the lining to the stretched waist point of the skirt. (I usually did this by hand) Tack down the fold-over waist band, every stitch to the lining, and every third or fourth stitch through the skirt, too. Leave a small space to insert elastic. Put in the elastic. Now you have a classic, good-looking skirt, that fits, does not cling, does not bag-out after you have sat, and does not twist at side seams because there aren`t any. Very costly to buy in a boutique but simple to make with about 2/3 of the yarn required for a long-sleeved sweater or jacket.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
5/16/2004 10:26:28 AM
Skirts, anyone? Bets
Try knitting a simple top with a pattern using the skirt yarn and the yarn you use for the top for a two to three inch border around the bottom and the sleeves and a little of that yarn edging the neck. This will make an elegant outfit.

Nine inch slit is a bit risque for a short person over 17. Fine for a long evening skirt, but not for street-length.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
5/17/2004 4:12:36 PM
In reply toa few questions put forth. Hi Heather
Delighted to hear that there`s an other elann-addict close by. Unless you are way, way up the lake, you should be less than two hours away. We curl in Duncan in the winter, and taking the 9:00am ferry, we are on the ice practising by 9:50 and ready to start the game at 10. Our skip tells people that I knit one sock going over on the ferry and the other coming back (the trip is 20 minutes long).
Alice
Salt Spring Island
5/17/2004 4:30:05 PM
Meeting on Salt Spring Hi
Mad about Ewe in Nanaimo is a great store. I can ask Toni about a discount, but remember, that to her, elann is major competition. She does have discount cards, though, which she stamps whenever you buy yarn. Toni has a cottage on Cowichan Lake, so Heather L you may actually know her!!
In answer to a query from Lesley, Sandy, at Sunset Farm, sends her fleeces to the mill in Carstairs, Alberta for processing and then sells the yarn from her studio on the farm. This yarn is excellent for felting. The year we did two-needle socks at the retreat, everyone knitted booties (for adults) as well, and brought them down to my house to felt in my washing machine.They came out really well.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
5/18/2004 9:42:11 AM
Stumped on the Vega Kimono Cardigan pattern Hi Jean

The instructions are not clear, it is not you!! Here`s my interpretation: * ---- * = text from instructions

172 stitches

*When work measures 13"/33 cm and basic-patt work short rows for sleeve shaping: at each end of every alt row slip 6 sts 10 times*

Knit until 6 stitches remain, wrap and turn (leave stitches on your needle, it`s much easier than putting them onto something else), knit back across until 6 stitches remain at the other edge, wrap and turn. Knit to 12 stitches before the edge, wrap and turn ( the 12 stitches are the original 6 you left behind plus 6 more), knit back to 12 stitches before the other edge, wrap and turn. Continue this way for 10 times each side (60 stitches on each side)

* and 12 sts once*
Knit to 72 stitches from the outside edge, wrap and turn, knit back to 72 stitches before the other edge, wrap and turn. (this is 12 stitches all at once instead of the 6 you have been doing)

*(onto a length of yarn,)*
Leave them on the needle - much easier.

*turn work each time with 1 yo.*
This is instead of wrap and turn. Decide if you want little decorative holes or not - I don`t think that it will knit in as invisibly as a wrap.

* For neck, bind off the 18 center sts and cont for each side separately.*
These 18 stitches are for the cente back, which will be slightly lower than the tops of the shoulders. You will have 5 stitches on each side of these 18 BEFORE the 72 stitches of the wraps. So K5, cast-off 18, k5.

* For shaping cast off on every alt row 3 sts once and 2 sts once.*
Here you are shaping the back of the neck, and making it wider by casting off 5 more stitches at the neck edge(3 on the first decrease row and 2 on the second) on EACH SIDE - 10 stitches fewer + 28 stitches cast off for back neck.

*Over the short rows of sleeve shaping K another 1 row, work slip dec over yo`s at right back with preceding st, at left back K tog yo`s with foll st (72 sts on either side).*
Working from the neck edge, you are knitting across to the outside edge, knitting the wraps with the stitches they are circumnavigating as you come to them. Return to neck edge and do the same to the other outer edge. If you do the YO`s instead of wraps , k2tog with YO and the following stitch going in one direction and ssk when going in the other. 72 stitches remain for each side of neck opening.

* Slip sts onto a length of yarn.*
Slide stitches onto another circular needle, same size or smaller, then they are ready for 3-needle bind-off when the front are done.

72 stitches for left shoulder + 28 stitches for neck + 72 stitches for right shoulder = 172 stitches.

Hope this helps
Alice
Salt Spring Island
5/18/2004 9:54:48 AM
swifts Hi Amy
I have a wooden swift which I ordered from elann. It is a thing of beauty, whereas a metal one looks rather like an umbrella that has lost its fabric. You are probably only ever going to buy one - so which would you rather look at for the next 30 years? Your artistic bones just may nudge you into spending $1 a year for visual enjoyment.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
5/19/2004 9:57:07 AM
how do you figure gauge with two yarns If the yarns are about the same weight, multiply the gauge of one of them by 0.72 to get the new gauge.
ie. 28 st = 4 inches - - 28 x 0.72 = 20.16 so round to 20 st = 4 inches and knit a swatch with 4.5mm (US7) needles.

For different weights such as sport and worsted, average out - - 24 + 20 = 44 divided by 2 = 22 and then 22 x 0.72 = 15.84. Round up to 16 inches = 4 inches. Swatch on a 5.00mm or 5.5mm needle

Try the needle size usually recommended for the gauge you end up with after the multiplication, and go up a size or down a size as necessary.

I found this tip somewhere on the elann site ages ago, and it really works. Ann may be able to add more.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
5/19/2004 10:10:42 AM
The Wee Catty! Pat
Try sprinkling a little pepper on your yarn, and Hardy may just get the hint. Watch out for what he takes up next! Juliet gave up on sucking yarn, but now bites the cable on circulars if she is annoyed with me. Desdemona contents herself with taking balls of yarn off to her `hidey places`.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
5/20/2004 9:40:51 AM
yarn for a summer poncho Hi Barbara
Most combinations of yarns work just fine for a poncho or shawl if you keep a couple of things in mind.
1. Decide on an average stitch gauge - then if the yarn is heavier, decrease stitches in the first row of the heavier yarn, or if lighter, then increase.

ie: average = 20 stitches to four inches

Yarn A = 20 stitches to 4 inches - just knit it
Yarn B = 18 stitches - *k8, k2tog*
Yarn C = 24 stitches - *k5, M1*

It is much easier if you return to a yarn of the weight of Yarn A between B and C, and D, E, F, etc., decreasing or increasing to have 20 st to 4 inches for A.

2. Knit narrow stripes - 2 to 6 rows of each yarn.

3. Knit a narrow band of `mock turtle` (mock-Turkish stitch) in some smooth yarn between each fancy yarn
Row 1 - K1, *YO, K2tog*, end with a K1
Row 2 - K2, *YO, K2tog* . . .
This makes a fishnet-type band which adjusts between different gauges.

4. Make a paper pattern (newspaper is fine as long as you are not knitting in a light colour) the size you want the poncho to end up. Knit on a long circular needle. Lay your knitting on top of the pattern every few inches to check that you are on size. In natural fibres, blocking will make minor adjustments. Depending on stitch and yarn, length may stretch.

Be daring
Alice
Salt Spring Island
5/23/2004 9:11:09 AM
Tink Tink is in general use on the KnitU list run by XRX publishing (the Knitter`s magazine people). Along with it is `frogging` - RIP-IT, RIP-IT, RIP-IT, or `going to the frog pond`. Both are great terms which can, maybe, produce a little smile when everything goes wrong.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
5/23/2004 9:20:41 AM
Help interpreting pattern instructions please. Hi Beatrice
Knit four rows in stocking stitch, after the moss stitch, then increase on the next row. After that increase on every 6th row. This is to get the knitting organized so that the increases are always in knit rows, and not purl rows. Much easier and neater to increase in a knit row.

Alice
SAlt Spring Island
5/24/2004 11:12:42 AM
Roll Call-What`s on your needles NOW? Hi
I am making some progress. The `Magic Grid` that is on the front of the Spring Knitter`s is done! It`s a sample of the simplest mosaic for the retreat. I knitted it in the Plymouth Outback Mohair in the Mulberry Sky and the Cinta Valeria di Roma ribbon in navy. The navy was the only colour left on elann, but as I didn`t know which Outback colour would go best with it, I ordered three skeins each of the Mulberry, the Bayou, and the Lavender Sunset. DD was over on the island, really liked the Bayou, and so convinced me that the Mulberry was the best with the navy. It really does look very good. Then I had to see what the Bayou would look like in the St. Seraphina Shawl for her, so started that in bed last night. Meanwhile I`m knitting a mosaic purse as a sample in a Noro red/ black variation with a black possum and merino that I picked up. Although the Noro black is greenish it`s not enough of a contrast with the black possum, so I`ve just moved along in the colour-way until it`s going pink again. There`s a bit of a line, but it`ll just have to be. This is going to be Japanese-looking purse. Then there`s the Cleckheaton cardigan with the fair isle checkerboard edges - neck edge and left front are done in an 18 row pattern, and I`ve done 8 rows of the right front, so nearly there. The main colour is a rough grey tweed and the contrast in a pinky-brick tweed. Socks in my sockbag for ferries etc,etc, etc.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
5/25/2004 8:35:18 AM
Alice, how is the mohair working up? Benne
The Outback is working up very well, soft, drapey, but lots of substance. It needs a BIG needle. Patsy started her shawl in it with the 6mm needle the pattern suggests, and had a mass rather than anything light and airy. She went up to an 8mm, and it`ll be fine. I started out with the 8mm, and it`s lacey with body - I knit a bit looser than she does. A 9mm might be better for a tight knitter.

I`ve knitter about 15 inches up from the point, it`s fast and looks great. I`m pleased that I bought the St. Seraphina pattern rather than working one out.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
5/28/2004 8:39:53 AM
I got my new yarn offerings! What`s your take? Mine came yesterday. Mail has to go through Victoria to get to this island, but those wonderful white boxes always arrive two days after I place the order.

I keep stroking the silk and wondering if I should order some for the knitters at the retreat to play with. The Tuesday the 15th ones would get here on the 17th and the retreat doesn`t begin until the 21st. Hmmmmmm.
Must think about it. We`re doing colour in fair isle and mosaic, so lots of scope.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
5/28/2004 8:54:03 AM
Ann, I just found another color tool The Deb Menz book on colour is very good. For each `lesson` she shows examples in different media - of which knitting is one. She`s a spinner, rather than a knitter, so the yarn and weaving examples are better than the knitted ones. I feel that the shifts in colour in the fair isle examples are rather stark,needing more toning colours, but the samples in other media show what you can do. Excellent charts showing what adding specific amounts of white, grey, black, and the complimentary colour do to a saturated colour.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
5/28/2004 9:25:46 AM
Benne - Dress White Pattern I`m looking at the schematic now, and this is what I think I would do:
Knit the first 9 inches (the raglan part) as in the pattern, then decrease more quickly - omit some of the `Work one row even part` or decrease evenly across a knit row every few rows, whichever looks better in your yarn. Object is to reach the patterned part of the sleeve sooner. Use your own "C" measurement to decide how much sooner. Add half of the back width to the sleeve length of the jacket from the schematic, measure yourself, and compare. [med size - 4 + 9 + 191/4 + 3/4 = 31 inches] If you need 28 inches, you need to knit 3 inches fewer rows. Your gauge will tell you how many rows this will be - in the yarn used by Knitter`s it`s 16.5 [22rows x .75], so 16 or 17 fewer rows.
Remember that the model is super-skinny with small shoulders, so you may not have to shorten as much as it appears.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25... Last