Alice Trueman - all messages by user

10/12/2005 6:18:14 PM
Happy Belated Birthday Heather L !!! Hope you had a great day!

Alice
Salt Spring Island
10/12/2005 6:21:03 PM
loss A big hug is coming across the ocean to you.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
10/22/2005 11:00:30 AM
Making her list, checking it twice---how is your Christmas knitting? I have finished knitting the Kiri for DD, but not blocked it yet. Last night, I finished the last triangle of the Sheer One-Piece Shawl from Iris Schreier`s Modular Knits for Dani`s friend Michelle, who started working in Singapore the month after DD. She`s very small (if you were at the first retreat in June, you met her, she and DD were the two grubby campers who came to dinner one night) so a bit hard to knit something sophisticated for. This shawl is 3 centre-increase squares with a diagonal triangle joined to each end. I made the squares just under 12 inches on each side, which gives a 16 inch diagonal width across the back which should be about right. It`s all one piece, cast on the centre back square and just keep knitting onwards. Six balls of Schulana Amalfi in a varigated black, taupe, cream, red just made it. This yarn is an Italian cotton-nylon combi with 90 metres to 50grams and short colour repeats - really nice to knit with. Quick project - less than 12 hours total, on ferries, etc. Of course the ends are still just hanging around. Certainly a project for coned yarn! The girls are practising looking 30 as the owners of their respective schools think the parents want older teachers.
I`ve cast on a saddle-shoulder pullover in the round for DS in the Connemara and just finished the ribbing. This is mindless knitting for my class readings and research for term paper.
Hey, it`s not even November yet!

Alice
Salt Spring Island
10/27/2005 10:07:26 AM
Pattern sizes - too small When X-large is designed to fit a pencil , there`s something wrong. I was looking at some high-fashion patterns with DD`s friend Michelle, who is about 5 feet tall and small, but does have shape! We concluded that the X-large was about 33 inches around, which was okay, except that there was no ease for moving arms, bending over, or moving at all. M is an active girl, not the sort to take little mincing steps down a runway - she turned the page to look for something more practical. We couldn`t figure out who would wear the S, M, and L sizes unless people were dressing up 8-10 year olds to mimic adults.
Let the pattern companies know!

Alice
Salt Spring Island
10/28/2005 9:38:02 AM
circular knitting needles Addis are THE best, but the Aeros we get here in Canada are inexpensive (about 1/3 the cost of Addis) and good. Part of the problem with snagging can be that the needle is too long - the cable not the tips. When the needle is too long, the stitches get spread out, pull tight, and then snag. A 60 cm/24 inch needle is long enough for most knitting.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
10/28/2005 9:46:14 AM
SK - city city gauze The one I posted was in Peridot with the edging in Thyme. I had the remains of a cone of Thyme from a previous sweater for DD. You will need to adjust the pattern as the gauge is different.
The yarn is machine washable and machine dryable with about 10% shrinkage.
I am just finishing up Essential Indulgence from the same magazine in the Sherry. DD really liked the colours in the Silk City, so I bought three cones. Now I have the ends from three so will probably have to buy another to use up these bits. Really comfortable to wear in A/C in Singapore, she tells me.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
10/31/2005 9:48:57 AM
Knitter`s Hand Book of Sweater Patterns I have both - excellent for basic shapes to use as a canvas for stitch patterns, colours, etc. The yarn estimates are generous, so you won`t run short if you make the sleeves longer, add a rolled neck, or whatever. The books contain suggestions for making fancier projects. If you sew, these are like having the Vogue basic patterns, which you adjust to fit, and then can use forever by superimposing the style you want.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
11/2/2005 4:02:28 PM
Bets --- AKA the Bag Queen and any other cable experts Hi Amy
Most of the patterning shown on that site is 6-stitch cables. Basically, this means that you transfer 3 stitches to a cable needle(hold at front or back according to instructions), knit the next 3, then the 3 from the cable needle from right to left (if you are right handed). If you look at a book such Arans & Cables from XRX Books (the Knitter`s Magazine people), you`ll see lots of cables to put into a purse. Just choose a combination that you like.

Try to chart what you are going to knit - use any graph paper. To knit a finished size of 14 inches, you`ll need at least 84 stitches in worsted or aran weight yarn.

Example:

1 st/10 st cable/26 st cable/10 st/26 st/10 st/1 st

gives you 84 stitches across with two different cable patterns. Lots of stitch treasuries have charted patterns.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
11/2/2005 4:13:44 PM
Let`s all give this a try... Diamond Challenge Sounds like fun, but could we do it after Christmas?

This fall has been a bit of a wash-out for writing my thesis. Signed up for an ethno-history course, very interesting, has given me more confidence for oral interviews, but it`s taking a lot of time. My eldest brother had a nasty fall and died five days later, in early October, which used up a lot of emotional energy. Consequently, I haven`t sent anything to my thesis supervisor since the end of August.

Come January?
Alice
Salt SpringIsland
11/2/2005 4:13:45 PM
Let`s all give this a try... Diamond Challenge Sounds like fun, but could we do it after Christmas?

This fall has been a bit of a wash-out for writing my thesis. Signed up for an ethno-history course, very interesting, has given me more confidence for oral interviews, but it`s taking a lot of time. My eldest brother had a nasty fall and died five days later, in early October, which used up a lot of emotional energy. Consequently, I haven`t sent anything to my thesis supervisor since the end of August.

Come January?
Alice
Salt SpringIsland
11/3/2005 9:05:48 AM
Alice- Thank you all. I`ll pass your kind thoughts on to my sister-in-law. She and Bill were married for fifty-five years last Christmas. Dot was 19 then, so it`s a huge mental shift for her to be on her own - but she has lots of backbone. Yesterday, I went over to the Big Island, dropped Mark at the curling rink, and took her for coffee and a trip to, you can guess, the yarn store. I interrupted her fall cleaning! I`m trying to convince her that she really needs to go to Scotland in May. She knits, but not a lot, but is really great at pouring tea! She`s fun to have around.

Thanks again
Alice
Salt Spring Island
11/3/2005 9:05:48 AM
Alice- Thank you all. I`ll pass your kind thoughts on to my sister-in-law. She and Bill were married for fifty-five years last Christmas. Dot was 19 then, so it`s a huge mental shift for her to be on her own - but she has lots of backbone. Yesterday, I went over to the Big Island, dropped Mark at the curling rink, and took her for coffee and a trip to, you can guess, the yarn store. I interrupted her fall cleaning! I`m trying to convince her that she really needs to go to Scotland in May. She knits, but not a lot, but is really great at pouring tea! She`s fun to have around.

Thanks again
Alice
Salt Spring Island
11/4/2005 10:09:15 PM
breaking news... Do bring him along, Laura. Or maybe he`d prefer to go to Scotland? Either way, a massage sounds great. We had a foot therapist one year - with foot massages in front of the fireplace one night, we were all just floating on air.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
11/7/2005 9:32:32 AM
old houses a message for Emily3cat I agree with Chris. Get more circuits now, before you start running extension cords everywhere. Count how many circuits you think you need, double that number, put a large bar of chocolate in front of you, phone your electrician and order the circuits to be put in, eat chocolate.
Write to the state real estate board about that agent. Regional/provincial/state boards are deeply concerned about professionalism and ethics. I reported an agent in Duncan, BC the August before we moved back here one October. He wanted exclusivity as buyer`s agent for Vancouver Island and the smaller islands plus a fat buyer`s agent commission on top of the regular MLS. Regional real estate board was VERY interested in his tactics. We had seriously considered the Duncan area, but after his behaviour, I knew no other agent there, and was certainly reluctant to start trying out others, so we looked at no properties there. Thus he lost not only the potential of us as buyers, but also denied the owners of waterfront and seaview property a potential sale. In addition to him, I had had an agent on each of the smaller islands, who were very professional and shared information with each other. That`s how it should be.

Buy more yarn!
Alice
Salt Spring Island
11/7/2005 9:32:33 AM
old houses a message for Emily3cat I agree with Chris. Get more circuits now, before you start running extension cords everywhere. Count how many circuits you think you need, double that number, put a large bar of chocolate in front of you, phone your electrician and order the circuits to be put in, eat chocolate.
Write to the state real estate board about that agent. Regional/provincial/state boards are deeply concerned about professionalism and ethics. I reported an agent in Duncan, BC the August before we moved back here one October. He wanted exclusivity as buyer`s agent for Vancouver Island and the smaller islands plus a fat buyer`s agent commission on top of the regular MLS. Regional real estate board was VERY interested in his tactics. We had seriously considered the Duncan area, but after his behaviour, I knew no other agent there, and was certainly reluctant to start trying out others, so we looked at no properties there. Thus he lost not only the potential of us as buyers, but also denied the owners of waterfront and seaview property a potential sale. In addition to him, I had had an agent on each of the smaller islands, who were very professional and shared information with each other. That`s how it should be.

Buy more yarn!
Alice
Salt Spring Island
11/9/2005 10:06:08 AM
Having fun with cables! Quick hint for the neckline: measure the width of the cable panel, work out how many stitches you need for THAT WIDTH in stocking stitch, and then decrease on the last row before the neck to reduce the cable panel stitches to that number.

Example: 20 stitches in cable panel = 3 inches
Gauge in StSt is 20st = 4inches
Reduce stitches to 15
*K2, K2tog* 5 times across the cable pattern

This will prevent your neckline from gaping.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
11/13/2005 10:28:41 AM
Speeding up seed stitch? I knit continental with the Norwegian purl, but the yarn is always at the back for me - over my left index finger, under the two middle fingers, and over my little finger. Try this:

put the right needle behind the yarn and then into the stitch purlwise, turn the right needle until the tip clears the left needle [about 120 degrees], move the right tip around the yarn over your index finger anticlockwise, return the right tip to the purlwise position, and pull the yarn through the stitch from left to right, slip original stitch off the needle. If I need to tighten the stitch, I rotate my left hand away from me.

It takes a little practice, but soon becomes very quick. You need to knit fairly close to the tips of your needles, but no problem, my left thumb holds the stitches against my index finger - works just fine with Addis. This is old, country-Norwegian style, the Norwegian friend who taught me many years ago had been taught to purl by her grandmother on a farm outside of Halden, near the Swedish border.
Give it a try.
Alice
Salt Spring Island
11/18/2005 8:26:19 AM
Who has had good luck with the Fiber Trends Clog? Some colours of yarn felt better than others. Some component of the dye. Also, make sure the knitting is loose. I made two pairs of size 13 for DS and a friend, literally clown feet before I felted them. I`ve used everything from two strands of worsted to 100% wool rug yarn, no problem, but I have always used dark colours. By the way, those of you who have some of Sandy`s bulky yarn from her studio at Sunset Farm, it felts like a charm - all those hairy bits just matt together.
Hint: After you have the hot water in your washing machine, add a full kettle of boiling water. Second agitation, an other kettle full.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
11/28/2005 9:36:44 AM
Insurance UPDATE! When we first bought the log house in the country in Ontario, built 1820, State Farm insured it for us with no problem. Later we switched to the insurance company that had an `arrangement` with my school board. This was nothing wrong with State Farm itself, but the school board company offered a better rate (SB was the largest employer in the county) and, we went through two years of our agent being `away` with a nervous breakdown, then when he returned he refused to pay the $0.35 long distance charge and didn`t seem to know how to call collect.
Once you are settled in, investigate insurance through work. [The company we had, worked hard to keep the `arrangement`. I still have my extra health/dental insurance through them.] This would give you another option at renewal time.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
11/29/2005 6:41:31 AM
who got matchmaker aran and what are you making? I got the Gloxinia with a ball each of Sage and Ivy for edging. It`ll be a top-down cardigan for the retreat in Scotland in May. I`m knitting a top-down saddle-shoulder (with back yoke) in some of the Maggie DK and a round-yoke one in HW with a steek up the front at the moment, so the Jaeger will probably be set-in sleeves knitted all in one piece, back and forth on a circular needle.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
pages: First ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37... Last