Alice Trueman - all messages by user

9/9/2005 9:41:10 AM
Circ Needle Lenght Tracy

If you are on Bowen Island, you are very close. There`s a group coming from North Vancouver on Thursday for the retreat. They could probably squeeze you in if you wanted to come. Think about it.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
9/9/2005 9:56:53 AM
Circ Needle Lenght Hi Libby

The Philosopher`s Wool sweaters fit BIG. Their 2-handed fair isle does not pull in the gauge, may actually make it slightly looser. With HW you should get 19-20st = 4 inches on a 4.5mm (US#7). I get about the same in PW yarn. Unless you are a very tight knitter, a US 8 will give you too loose a fabric and the yarn running across the back will show through. 288 stitches will give you a body at least 57-60 inches around.
A 32 inch addi should be fine. You don`t need the drag of the bamboo with that much knitting!
Just make sure that you are knitting to fit a real person and not ending up with a cosy for your fridge - no one needs 8-10 inches of ease.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
9/9/2005 10:14:38 AM
Poll - How did you get here, and why do you post? I first found elann when Ann was putting little ads in the classified section of knitting magazines. I watched the site for a bit and then signed up for the newsletter. I felt that anyone operating a business out of Cranbrook ought to be encouraged. So, I started ordering, and ordering, and ordering.

Didn`t go onto chat for a while, lurked, and then there was something I felt I had to answer. The other one I used to go on got very big, would carry on long arguments, seemed incapable of understanding copyright laws, etc. This is a much, much friendlier group, and much more supportive. Hey, I actually get to meet some of you!

Alice
Salt Spring Island
9/9/2005 5:21:43 PM
Alice - a shawl retreat Great!

Shall we tentatively set shawls up for June 2007? What do others think?

Alice
Salt Spring Island
9/9/2005 9:45:25 PM
My bags are packed, I`m ready to go...leaving on a jet plane Jamie

You MIGHT make the 5pm ferry. Uleta will drive on with Patti, Benne, and Christina. You will walk on from your taxi. Those 4 will be able to help you as long as you get onto the ferry. I`ll ask Uleta to e-mail you and give you her cell number.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
9/9/2005 10:18:57 PM
Kiri Shawl Knitalong - What yarn are you using? I have some `bay black` alpaca from the alpaca farm on Salt Spring - I wonder if the pattern will show in black. Also lots of off-white silk noile from Treenways that just vegging, deciding what it wants to be. Must think about this.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
9/12/2005 12:25:42 PM
Wool Hats Needed for a4A – Can you Help? I`m not really Alice, I`m Jamie on Alice`s computer!
But, yes, thanks for reminding us of the need for wool articles for a$A. I`ll sebd sine hats and mittens when they let me back into the USA. Happy on Salt Spirng Island, Jamie
9/13/2005 10:00:26 PM
Ok, Eileen, you have work to do! We have read the mail!

Benne, Christina, Lesley, Alice
All on Salt Spring Island
9/20/2005 6:48:10 AM
Slip Stich - done purlwise unless otherwise stated????? If you are going to use that stitch again, you need to slip it purlwise. If you are slipping todecrease, it can be either/or depending on the look you want to achieve. Try out a little swatch with a variety, and you`ll see the difference.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
9/26/2005 10:54:36 AM
Elann Gang on Salt Spring Island We had a wonderful, wonderful week. Great people, wonderful weather, and lots and lots of knitting! We had great coffee sent by Bets from Texas, and different but equally enjoyable flavours brought by Naomi from Seattle. We indulged on the most divine pecan candy. The soaps and lotions are beyond desription. Mark has a little cache of chocolate from someone he has hidden away. Ann brought us each a `surprise` preview of what is coming up soon. No fair telling yet, you have to wait! People are already planning ahead for next year.

First some bits of business:
1) Did anyone leave behind a remote for a Cannon camera? Sandy says it looks like a small-sized TV remote. She found it with the TV and stereo remotes, so it may have been there for a while, unnoticed. Let me know if you are missing some sort of gadget.
2) No other lost articles uncovered yet, but let me know if you are missing something.
3) Several knitters were asking if the Elann Get-together could be later in the fall as early Sept is a bad time for people with children just back to school, etc. I talked to Sandy, and from the last week in October through November would be possible for her. Mid-Sept to around the 20th of October just does NOT work for her. October 21-29, 2006 would get knitters home for Hallowe`en. Weather is usually still nice then, but colder than September. The monsoons hit in November. This can mean a few days with heavy rain or it can be 29 really wet days out of 30. We get about 30 inches of rain a year here on SSI, almost all in the early part of monsoon season. If you just want to sit in front of the fire and knit, it wouldn`t matter. Let me know what you think.
4) Send pictures and Mark will attempt to put them onto a CD. [I`ve promised him a new digital camera for Scotland, so he needs to practice.]
5) The cat misses you all, especially Cheryl, and is going around looking for you.

Sorry to be so long posting this, but it`s been a busy week. After we got everything out of the farmhouse on Monday, I did my readings for Tuesday`s class. Victoria on Tuesday - long day 7:50am ferry over and 7:00pm back. Then it was over again Thursday getting Christian`s stuff shipped back to Germany and him to the ferry to Vancouver for his plane. Now I have even done the readings and reading notes for tomorrow`s class!

Thank you all for your wonderful comments. Mark is just basking in all that flattery.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
9/26/2005 11:08:15 AM
Retreats in 2006 Hi All

I`ll be doing three retreats next year (yes, I WILL finish writing my thesis as well).

Scotland 2006 - May 7-19 there are seven places remaining, two rooms with twin beds which share a bathroom, a couple of single rooms and a room with a double bed which could be single or double (but not twin). Project is a top-down cardigan.

June on Salt Spring Island - June 24-July 1 [note this is Saturday to Saturday]. Theme is `Embellishments`. This is half booked, singles and twins available, but not lofts.

Elann Gathering - Fall, see my posting below about dates. I`ll accept deposits as soon as we decide on dates. Elann Chatters get priority.

E-mail me at truemana@telus.net for more info or to book.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
9/27/2005 5:54:01 PM
You`ve left me in your dust ! Benne wears shawls with great elegance!
I knitted DD one last winter out of the Plymouth Outback Mohair. It just flew along so I kept knitting until I ran out of yarn. It was huge. Dani was just delighted, she would wrap herself up in it to study - a cosy cocoon.
Ruanas are great here in the fall and winter, we really don`t need winter coats.
Warning: They are addictive to knit!

Alice
Salt Spring Island.
9/29/2005 7:36:54 PM
Taos Wool Festival or no.....? Jamie

Go for it - rent a walker that folds up and has a seat, too, and you`ll find it easier to be independent. Make up your mind that you`ll manage just as best as you can, and have a great time! Then tell us all about it after you`re back.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
10/1/2005 5:08:49 PM
Note for everyone All the very best to you both.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
10/5/2005 9:47:05 AM
OK, where is everyone with their holiday knitting? I`m doing the edging on a Kiri for DD - only about 4 rows to go. Then to block it. Maybe I can pin it out on someone`s bed. Plus, I`ve ordered the Connemara yarn for DS`s sweater - it`s sitting in its white box just deciding what it wants to be. Should try out a top-down pattern - maybe the saddle-shoulders one - but as a pullover, not a cardigan for him.

This is early progress for me!

Alice
Salt Spring Island
10/8/2005 10:10:53 AM
Friends of Jeanflores Jean, we are all thinking of you.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
10/9/2005 9:18:51 AM
Kiri Question Hi Denise

You need to keep the K3 on both edges. I`ve just read over the written instructions, and yes, `end K3` has been left out for the edging. Now that I look at the charts again, they should read `begin and end shawl here`.
The cast-off works well but keep it very loose. I drew out the 2 stitches for K2tog to 1/2 inch each before knitting them together.
Mine, in BS, is going to take some strenuous blocking, but it`s really going to be pretty. Maybe there`ll be a few cooler days in Singapore, but I expect DD will wear it indoors in the AC climate.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
10/9/2005 9:18:51 AM
Kiri question Hi Denise

You need to keep the K3 on both edges. I`ve just read over the written instructions, and yes, `end K3` has been left out for the edging. Now that I look at the charts again, they should read `begin and end shawl here`.
The cast-off works well but keep it very loose. I drew out the 2 stitches for K2tog to 1/2 inch each before knitting them together.
Mine, in BS, is going to take some strenuous blocking, but it`s really going to be pretty. Maybe there`ll be a few cooler days in Singapore, but I expect DD will wear it indoors in the AC climate.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
10/10/2005 8:40:41 AM
Kiri question The cast-off in the pattern is a *knit 2 together*, rather than *knit 2, pass the first stitch over the second*. I was careful to make sure that after I knitted two together, I pulled the yarn through until I had a stitch 1/2 inch long on the right needle, then transferred it back to the left needle. Then I repeated that over, and over, and over. It took me the whole of a `Frost` mystery on PBS to complete the cast-off, but it looks good.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
10/10/2005 8:40:41 AM
Kiri Question The cast-off in the pattern is a *knit 2 together*, rather than *knit 2, pass the first stitch over the second*. I was careful to make sure that after I knitted two together, I pulled the yarn through until I had a stitch 1/2 inch long on the right needle, then transferred it back to the left needle. Then I repeated that over, and over, and over. It took me the whole of a `Frost` mystery on PBS to complete the cast-off, but it looks good.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
pages: First ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36... Last