Alice Trueman - all messages by user

8/23/2005 8:34:05 AM
diamond patch sweater/just ome more stich I`m knitting a diamond now in some old anne blatt I found in a drawer. Will post later how much it takes.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
8/23/2005 11:25:18 AM
Diamond Patch Sweater? Just One More Stitch Hi Barbara
I knitted a diamond with some Anne Blatt - 52 stitches at 4 stitches to the inch and used 38 yards.

This gauge with produce a sweater 54 inches around and 27 inches long. At 38 yds per diamond and 29 diamonds (24 whole ones, 8 halves, 4 quarters) this will take 1102 yards of yarn. I added 4 inch long sleeves and a bit for edging for 110 yards. This comes to 1212 yards divided by 71.5 yards per ball = 17 balls. I`d buy an extra ball just to be sure. If you don`t want sleeves then 16 balls should be fine.

This is certainly more yarn than the pattern suggests, but the sweater is 25% larger, with the same size blank space for the neck, so there`s more than 25% more knitted area.

Hope this helps

Alice
Salt Spring Island
8/24/2005 9:26:42 AM
More pricey knit purses to inspire us! Wow! that`s pricey. One ball HW in each colour, or part balls from stash, hhhmmm. I think I could get the leather fittings at Michael`s or similar store. Even if I had them custom made by the `village cobbler` if would all come to a small fraction of the cost.
Next year`s June retreat (after Scotland) is going to be embellishments - a version of this would be a great sample. I think I`ll work up a similar design. HW, maybe, or I have umpteen colours of Cleckheaton from when Beehive went out of that line. Maybe if I use HW, Ann will post the pattern - don`t worry, it`ll be different from the model advertised.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
8/24/2005 12:48:10 PM
More pricey knit purses to inspire us! Checked it out this morning and then went back to print it out at 12:45 - `cool color` version was gone from the site - must have sold!!!!!

Alice
Salt Spring Island
8/26/2005 5:00:29 PM
diamon patch sweater to alice t I used a 6mm (US #10) needle and the diamond was 9 inches wide. I followed the pattern on Page 2 "Repeat rows 4 - 9" with repeats until the 52 stitches worked their way down to 14. Then I picked up the pattern at Row 28 and knit to the end.

Three diamond across both front and back will give 54 inches around - this would be an Extra-Large. This pattern moves up 6 inches to reach the next size.

If this is too big, try smaller needles or cast on fewer stitches. See page 11 in the instruction booklet for varying the number of stitches.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
8/26/2005 5:18:29 PM
Philosopher`s Wool knitting There is also a video which goes with the book.

The technique Ann Biurgeois uses is not difficult, makes fair isle knitting much easier, the inside is much neater, and eliminates that puckering that sometimes happens with floats.

Basically, fair isle knitting uses two colours per row - it`s very rare to use more. In "two handed fair isle", you have one ball of yarn on your left and knit the stitches in that colour in `continental` and the other ball on your right and knit those stitches `English` - right dominant people, reverse if you are left dominant. You never carry a yarn over nore than one stitch without weaving it in. The book gives you good techniques for the weaving in as you knit across the row.
Two-handed fair isle was one of the lessons at last year`s retreat - and everyone got it and was on to a project by the end of the morning.

It seems awkward at first, but then gets speedy.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
8/26/2005 5:33:56 PM
Kool Aid Dyeing Think about using Wilton Icing Colors - they come in about 30 colours and are much more concentrated than Kool Aid. Completely safe - we eat them.

There`s a good article in Cast-On, Winter 2002-2003. If you can`t find it, send me your e-mail and I`ll send you instructions: truemana@telus.net

Alice
Salt Spring Island
8/26/2005 5:58:18 PM
Alice Starmore-you gotta be kidding- The gauges of the designs in "Tudor Roses" are not completely impossible - they range from 20 stitches to 36 stitches to FOUR INCHES. Fair Isle patterns are traditionally knit at 28 to 32 stitches to four inches, but they don`t have to be. You could knit a very good-looking sweater from Elann`s Highland Wool at 20 stitches to four inches by keeping the same design shape and knitting fewer repeats of the colourwork.

In North America we tend to wear wool sweaters outside, whereas in Britain, with `different` heating systems, they are worn indoors, even under jackets. Thus they cannot be as bulky. [My father, even 50 years after he left England, would sit reading in a shirt, tie, lambswool v-neck long-sleeved pullover, and a tweed jacket.]
The designs in Tudor Roses are certainly worth looking at for inspiration - even if you are not such a devoted fan that you feel compelled to duplicate every stitch in exactly the same shade.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
8/27/2005 9:18:55 AM
Oh, Alice, I LIKE it! The more that I knit with the gauze, the better I like it. DD agreed to the colours,the yarn was cotton, so I bought 3 cones of it - the peridot, thyme, and sherry. I knitted up the thyme before she left, in a combination from the 1000 sweaters book, then this one, and I`ve just started one in the sherry. The one pictured has been run through the washing machine on delicate and through the dryer. Shrinks about 10% in length, width is about the same.
When I knitted the first one, I had to watch that I did not catch the yarn on the tip of the needle, now I just automatically keep it just a little bit taut over my left index finger. It does twist but I just work through those bits - sometimes they just go away when I take more spirals off the cone. There`s enough texture so that twists don`t show. The texture won approval from all the 20`s group as I was knitting.That makes it a winner - my children and friends tend to be rather particular.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
8/27/2005 9:32:19 AM
diamon patch sweater to alice t I have the pattern, but haven`t knitted it yet. I just knit one diamond, pulled it out, and measured the yarn.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
8/28/2005 9:52:20 AM
DENIM YARN Hi Dorothee
Have a look at the Den-M-Nit Pure Indigo Cotton on the Elann site.
Click on the SEARCH button, and scroll down to 100% cotton in the fibre content section, then go down the list until you reach it.

This knits up at 20 stitches = 10 cm on 4.5mm needles. If you want a thicker yarn, use two stands together which will give you 14-15 stitches = 10cm on a 5.5-6.0mm needle. Using two different shades of indigo together works really well.

Are you new to the list? Welcome! You will find many new knitting friends here.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
British Columbia, Canada
8/30/2005 9:34:27 PM
Do you spit in public? Just remember that you are coming to Canada. If you don`t want comments, it`s better to be discreetly American - especially on Salt Spring.

Don`t forget to bring two pieces of photo ID - passport is better - else you may never get to leave and we`ll just keep you here!!! Elann deliveries arrive in two days, so you don`t need to worry.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
8/31/2005 9:43:44 AM
Do you spit in public? Salt Spring has lots of American residents, who live here, pay Canadian taxes, license their cars here, buy what they need in Canada, volunteer for local causes, become part of the community, and are great knitters, they are accepted just fine. Unfortunately there are others who brag about keeping their assets off-shore and not paying taxes, then complain that they don`t get free medical care or free schooling for their children, buy everything they can south of the border to avoid sales taxes, only use American money, try to bring in their firearms, tell us how to run things, and assume that local regulations don`t apply to them. An example of the latter is, during severe water restrictions, a couple with a secluded waterfront house, not only used their sprinklers, but left them on when they returned to Seattle for a week or so, running the wells for a water system for 50 houses completely dry. The wells did not come back, new wells had to be dug - with the other 49 paying 98% of the cost - some produced only salt water and the rest have a serious sulphur problem. There are thoughtless people everywhere, but you can imagine the resentment.

Since the invasion of Iraq, there have been some comments made in the hearing of American knitters in stores, etc. They are not directed to those particular knitters. There are, from time-to-time, anti-war gatherings, and over 10% of the population participated in a peace march in the spring. Everyone on the island supports one cause or another - war just isn`t one of them. Salt Spring is a very safe place, but not a conventional one. Just wait until you see aging draft dodgers from the 60s driving around in the same orange and lime green VW campers that they came north in!!!

Check with your bank about exchange rates - see if it is better for you to use Visa or to buy Canadian dollars. Using American money in stores will not give you the best rate. From my thrift store days, I know only too well - when depositing US bills, a store gets the `bank buy` rate which is 5% lower than the `bank sell` rate, plus has to pay an additional 5% `exchange fee`. To a bank, US dollars are foreign currency, just as much as Japanese yen or Swiss francs. I had to set up a special US account so that I don`t have to charge more to cover the $10 reduction on a $100 cheque from an American knitter.

You`ll have a great time and maybe won`t want to leave!
Alice
Salt Spring Island
8/31/2005 9:51:17 AM
Baby Silk for Clapotis Doubling will give you about 20st=4inches. Four strands will give you about 14.5 stitches. You may want to try three strands. Swatch a bit, and go with the one you like the look of.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
9/6/2005 8:42:54 AM
Mystery Shawl Info. Don`t even think about knitting socks on DPNs - too many needle points. Try the two circular needles approach. When you need to put the knitting down, just slide the stitches to the middle of the cable where they are perfectly safe.

If you would like instructions to knit on Annabel and Beatrice, just e-mail me at truemana@telus.net
and I`ll send them.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
9/6/2005 8:57:15 AM
Benne: where are you right now? Any of you here can order yarns from my house and have them delivered to home or here. I`m sure that Mark can be persuaded to make a run back to our house after breakfast in time to have you with fingers poised at 9 am. Or, swap beds with someone who is sleeping at my house.
As to phone, I think Benne`s DH`s plan of adding Victoria to her roaming may be the answer. My cell phone works from my house and the farm, but I have a Victoria number. Another piece I learned on the weekend from DS`s partner is that the phone cards he buys at one of the chain drup stores in Victoria works just fine here. While he was here, he called his thesis supervisor in New Zealand and his mother in Germany on his cell phone. When I go over to Victoria Wed/Thurs, I`ll look into these cards.
In-coming calls to the farm work just fine - it`s only out-going long distance ones that are blocked. So anyone you want can call you at 250-537-8586, and the phone will just ring as normal.

I think Winnie the Pooh flannel pjs would be just fine!

Alice
Salt Spring Island
9/6/2005 5:15:25 PM
gas or yarn? I paid $1.24/litre here on Salt Spring when I filled up the other day. That seems terrible to us, but whenever I filled up the little rental car in Scotland in May, it was 35-40 pounds sterling - over $75US, fortunately the car went a long way on a tankful.

DS and his partner test drove electric `bicycles` in Vancouver. They go 34 kilometres per hour (about 20mph), have a range of 35 kilometres, and recharge on a few cents worth of electricity from a regular wall plug. Cost is less than $1000CDN. They were going faster than the flow of car traffic in downtown Vancouver. There`s got to be a future here.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
9/7/2005 10:19:00 AM
Knitting needles on Air Canada? It`s good news that Britain has softened on the ban. In May knitting needles were a big NO-NO on British Midland from London to Edinburgh. That`s essentially a commuter flight with many businessmen with ball point pens, stylos for their laptops, and the like.

Vancouver to London and back was the first time I have flown Air Canada since the `incident` which brought about my 30 year boycott, so I can`t say much about their enforcement. My children and I have flown just about every `cheap and cheerful` airline that has got off the ground here.
Just carry the regulations with you - knitting is tricoter in French in case you need to know.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
9/9/2005 9:06:31 AM
The ongoing saga of how many days it will take me to get home Benne

See if you can spent the night here and leave the following day rather than overnighting on route. The 6:30 am ferry from Salt Spring to Tsawwassen gets in at 9:30. 30 mins to the airport and you here 2 hours ahead.

Are `they` making you use extra points to fly first class when `they` changed your flights? Not right. Is this American Airlines?

Alice
Salt Spring Island
9/9/2005 9:19:52 AM
Kiri vs. FB shawls- Maybe we should have a lace shawl knitting retreat - Maybe June 2007?

June 2006 is embellishments - already half booked, with deposits paid. Let me know if you are interested in coming.

Friend of DS`s is working on a website for the Scotland trip - hope it will be up soon.

Must look for something for that shawl. I have lots of silk?????

Alice
Salt Spring Island
pages: First ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35... Last