Alice Trueman - all messages by user

7/29/2005 8:25:51 AM
looking for a shawl pattern that`s interesting & easy Hi Joanne

St Seraphina`s Easy Spanish Lace Shawl # S-14 is fun to knit and not complicated. Pattern suggests sport weight, but you can knit it in whatever you have - I`ve used a DK merino which came out very well - when steamed.

As to the teenagers - having taught high school for 30 years in the East - 16 is the magic age, when everything really improves. Try making them take on responsibility, the more the better, while you sit and knit your shawl.It`s amazing how many problems get solved without you, if you just say pleasantly, "I`ll think about that after I finish this row, this pattern repeat,the next 4 inches." Another great line is, "I can only deal with one problem at a time, so write yours on the list on the white board in the kitchen." Survival for Mother is the name of the game!

Alice
Salt Spring Island
7/31/2005 8:15:06 AM
Knitted edging question You need to add extra rows to turn the corner, short rows work well, as do several rows attached to the same stitch. Have a look at `Best of Knitter`s Shawls and Scarves`, Cheryl Oberle`s `Folk Shawls` or Nancie M. Wiseman`s `Knitted Shawls, Stoles, & Scarves`for several examples of different techniques.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
8/12/2005 9:16:44 AM
Who`s going to Salt Spring in September? Hi All
The weather here in September will be in the 60s to mid 70s. Can go under 60. It always cools down at night (went down to 60 last night with the high today close to 80), so expect cool mornings. Bring a warm sweater and a pair of jeans or similar, maybe a jogging suit, and some lighter clothes, t-shirts etc, bathing suit for the hot tub. Sun hat and sunscreen for the fall fair. Shoes that you can walk about in to pat alpacas and the like, and maybe sandles or slip-ons for in the house and about town. You can do laundry. Plus, you can buy an extra t-shirt or whatever. You cannot buy an outfit for a cocktail party in Montreal or Manhatten, dressy shoes, or a new bra, but you can get most other things. Same applies to drug store items - no spray deodorant, or much in aerosol cans (becomes `dangerous cargo` on special ferry trips, I presume), but just about everything else. The quilt store, Stitches, has expanded into knitting with a good selection of needles, various tools, books, patterns, and an assortment of quality, interesting yarns, some local. One of the bookstores is better for knitting books than Stitches - Sherri is eager to bring in any new titles I suggest.
Hospital is modern and well-equipped. Do buy travellers` medical insurance - it can cost as little as $10 - just in case you dislocate your shoulder with too much knitting.

Some of you have not yet let me know how and when you are arriving. If you are bringing a car, I`ll send you directions, if you need to be met, DH has not lost a knitter yet, but he does need to know where and when. 250-538-0211 truemana@telus.net

If you are making plane connections, think positive, and you`ll make them. When DD flew to Singapore last week, the plane was an hour late leaving Vancouver, so big trouble making the connection in Tokyo. Dani, an `elderly professor`, and an equally mature English couple ran to catch their flight. They made it, their luggage didn`t. So she ended up washing out the fresher of the two shirts she had worn on the flight and meeting her new employers still-damp. Benne, and others, I`ll have a couple of emergency packs, just in case.

Do ask any questions. I`ll send out emergency contact numbers a little closer to the time.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
8/13/2005 8:15:08 AM
Who`s going to Salt Spring in September? Coffee grinder is easily solved. DH went over to Duncan (on Vancouver Island) while I went to Victoria yesterday and came home with a new coffee grinder. I`ll put the old one in one of the plasic bins to take up to the farm. It works fine, but it`s noisy. You can grind in the downstairs kitchenette to your heart`s content - and hold a phone close to it.

Phone - the house telephone, for obvious reasons, does not permit OUTGOING long distance calls without a calling card number. My cell phone works fine there, but the occasional one doesn`t. Long distance calls on a land line can be made from my home phone or from the farm owner`s studio line, down the driveway. INCOMING calls are no problem. I`ll send you all the number closer to the time.
8/13/2005 8:23:38 AM
Photo ID for Salt Spring in September Make sure that you have photo ID with you - two pieces are good. Canada is unlikely to ask for passports until the US does for us, but border officials can ask for two pieces of solid ID - driver`s licence, health card, employment security pass or the like. Birth certificate or residency card is good. If you are not a US citizen, phone the nearest Canadian consulate and ask what is acceptable.
You may not need any of this, but it`s better to be secure. Also, you need to get back into the US. You may look very suspicious with all those knitting needles!

Alice
Salt Spring Island
8/13/2005 10:26:34 AM
diamond patch sweater I think that you are saying that you cast on 34x2=68 stitches. Knit the first 9 rows as the pattern says on page 2.
THEN *Row 10 = Row 4
Row 11 = Row 5
Row 12 = Row 6
Row 13 = Row 7
Row 14 = Row 8
Row 15 = Row 9*

Repeat * to * seven more times (eight times in total) this should leave you with 14 stitches.
Pick up the pattern with Row 28 on page 2 and continue to the end.

The extra rows in the middle are to reduce the number of stitches from 68 at the cast-on down to 14 for the finish.

On page 11, the increases are in multiples of 6 stitches. With each increase of 6 stitches, you need to perform one more * to * sequence to reduce the total count to 14.

Post again if this doesn`t work out.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
8/17/2005 9:00:46 AM
September on Salt Spring If you are coming from or through Seattle to get here, you may want to check out the Kenmore Air service. They fly float planes from Lake Union to the government dock at Ganges Harbour on Salt Spring. Having heard what it costs to fly by regular airline from Seattle to Victoria, this doesn`t cost much more AND saves the taxi to the ferry terminal and the ferry fare. Naomi has much experience with this route - ask her if you are not sure.

If you are driving, or flying into Vancouver,ferries work just fine. Float plane service is available from Vancouver Airport as well. Seair is very reliable, as is Harbourair, and SaltSpringair.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
September on Salt Spring If you are coming from or through Seattle to get here, you may want to check out the Kenmore Air service. They fly float planes from Lake Union to the government dock at Ganges Harbour on Salt Spring. Having heard what it costs to fly by regular airline from Seattle to Victoria, this doesn`t cost much more AND saves the taxi to the ferry terminal and the ferry fare. Naomi has much experience with this route - ask her if you are not sure.

If you are driving, or flying into Vancouver,ferries work just fine. Float plane service is available from Vancouver Airport as well. Seair is very reliable, as is Harbourair, and SaltSpringair.

Alice
Salt Spring Island

Alice
Salt Spring Island

Alice
Salt Spring Island
8/18/2005 10:53:30 PM
seekly womanly advice... I`m the youngest in my generation in what has become a large family. Most of us do not indulge in fancy weddings, but rather use the money for more practical things. My two older brothers having seven daughters between them, seriously debated the wisdom of purchasing a good sturdy ladder. Eloping has great advantages for preserving sanity - DH and I returned to Victoria a week before the wedding(on Christmas Eve which did not help) naively thinking that the assorted parents would have had their fun and managed to get everything sorted out to their liking. Instead, this `small wedding` with a few friends had grown geometrically and become an emotional minefield with bombs exploding at unexpected times and places. Nearly thirty-eight years later, we can laugh about it, but still feel we should just have stayed in Montreal.
One of my nieces had a very good idea - she and her fiance announced that they were going to be married at the Banff Springs Hotel, and those who wanted to be there for the event could book themselves a room. It was sort of eloping but not quite. Those who went paid their own expenses, so it was a memorable location at an affordable price, and the hotel did all the work.

Don`t let yourselves be pushed into a wedding that is fancier or more expensive than you want.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
8/20/2005 9:49:28 AM
pattern help needed The pattern instructions need help. The math just doesn`t work out for their schematics.
I think Bets has the right idea - for the 16X repeat - decrease on rows 2, 6, 8, 12, 14, 18, 20, 24 etc

BUT this will give you a total of 103 rows. The sum of the lengths in the schematic is 41cm = 94 rows. This will make the top about 1 3/4 inches longer, but that probably won`t matter. I`d go for a bit longer rather than quite a bit shorter.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
Pattern help needed The pattern instructions need help. The math just doesn`t work out for their schematics.
I think Bets has the right idea - for the 16X repeat - decrease on rows 2, 6, 8, 12, 14, 18, 20, 24 etc

BUT this will give you a total of 103 rows. The sum of the lengths in the schematic is 41cm = 94 rows. This will make the top about 1 3/4 inches longer, but that probably won`t matter. I`d go for a bit longer rather than quite a bit shorter.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
Pattern help needed The pattern instructions need help. The math just doesn`t work out for their schematics.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
8/20/2005 9:55:08 AM
I`m back and moved (well, sorta) Sit on something (packing case if need be) looking out of a window so you can`t see the mess and knit for 30 minutes straight in each 3 hour time block. You will be amazed at how much you get done just looking forward to the 30 minutes - you may even find your underwear!

At least you`re there
Alice
Salt Spring Island
8/21/2005 4:26:00 PM
Sneak peeks Cleakheaton wool The Country 8-ply (DK weight) is a pleasure to knit. It gives really good stitch definition. Lots of body. I use it frequently for samples for knitting retreats - holds up well to much handling and examining.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
8/21/2005 4:38:34 PM
Yarn weight (gauge) in other countries In yarns from Down Under (Australia and New Zealand), 8-ply yarns almost always knit up to a good firm DK weight (22st = 4"). Knitting them to a worsted gauge results in a rather thin fabric that does not hold its shape well.
12-ply is heavy worsted/aran weight (18st = 4").

British, Canadian, Aust., and NZ patterns often favour a firmer fabric than American patterns, and thus a tighter gauge.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
Canada
8/21/2005 10:44:50 PM
Sneak peeks Cleakheaton wool I`m rubbing a ball of Cleckheaton and a ball of Highland Wool against the inside of my wrist, I`d say about the same. Neither is bringing up any itch or redness. I only have to look at angora and I come up in red bumps. The ball of HW feels softer, and the Cleckheaton crisper. Cleckheaton has a long staple fibre, so it shouldn`t be itchy, but I don`t think I would use it to knit underwear. (I`m in the midst of reading "A Flannel Shirt and Liberty: British Emigrant Gentlewomen in the Canadian West, 1880-1914" which is very big on wearing wool next to the skin! Ugh)

Alice
Salt Spring Island
8/22/2005 8:12:05 AM
diamond patch sweater/just ome more stich The pattern says 700 yards of heavy worsted at 4st to the inch for 48" around. Your squares are a bit bigger, so I`d get at least 800 yards, maybe a bit more.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
8/22/2005 9:16:17 PM
I would kill for a slice of cheesecake right now!!! Do you like Stilton cheesecake? It`s not too sweet. If you do, I`ll make one in September - the group of you will have to promise to eat it all.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
pages: First ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34... Last