Alice Trueman - all messages by user

7/10/2005 8:52:35 AM
Ok, let`s try again-any one have red or wine Sonata? How about a yarn surprise? I knit all kinds of things into ruanas and shawls.

E-mail me your address truemana@telus.net and I`ll get the two balls off to you.

Alice
7/12/2005 9:32:48 PM
WIPs - how are you doing? I knit socks on two circular Addi Turbos, so the needles will coil up quite small. I poke the ends into the ball of yarn, put it all into a baggy, and them push it into the bottom of my purse. Makes finding my car keys a little difficult but it does work. The baggy or ziplock bag is important to keep it contained, and you can squish the air out.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
7/12/2005 9:41:12 PM
Pilling Gjestal Norwegian pills very little. I have an Einstein coat which I have worn almost non-stop for two winters, and have only removed a few pills two or three times. HW has presented no problems, but I have knitted it at a fairly firm gauge - the bagged Peruvian yarn does pill somewhat (but not rivalling Carter`s pill), but the bits are easy to remove.

For a heavy yarn, the Gjestal is pleasant to knit with. HW knits up fast with good definition and is not as heavy.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
Pilling Gjestal Norwegian pills very little. I have an Einstein coat which I have worn almost non-stop for two winters, and have only removed a few pills two or three times. HW has presented no problems, but I have knitted it at a fairly firm gauge - the bagged Peruvian yarn does pill somewhat (but not rivalling Carter`s pill), but the bits are easy to remove.

For a heavy yarn, the Gjestal is pleasant to knit with. HW knits up fast with good definition and is not as heavy.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
pilling Gjestal Norwegian pills very little. I have an Einstein coat which I have worn almost non-stop for two winters, and have only removed a few pills two or three times. HW has presented no problems, but I have knitted it at a fairly firm gauge - the bagged Peruvian yarn does pill somewhat (but not rivalling Carter`s pill), but the bits are easy to remove.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
7/12/2005 9:56:29 PM
How do you fix baggy armholes? Hi Donna
If you are comfortable with crocheting, it`s your best method for tightening up the armholes. Do a row of single crochet (double crochet in English terminology)around the armhole, tightening up as you go. You will probably need about one crochet stitch per three rows of knitting, maybe fewer.Once you have this foundation row in a reduced size, you can launch into a pattern to decorate the edges - just don`t add stitches, even in the pattern, until you have a firm edge. Experiment.

If you are looking for more security, measure around you arm/shoulder where the top will end. Make a crochet swatch, count the stitches per inch in the swatch, multiply by the number of inches from the tape measure. The answer is the number of crochet stitches you are going to pick up around the edge.

You can literally get rid of inches with single crochet.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
7/13/2005 8:16:20 AM
Alice -- crochet question Yes, that`s basically how it works. Just look for the ethnicity of the pattern.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
7/13/2005 9:16:17 AM
Alice -- crochet question Salt Spring Island is off the West Coast of Canada between the mainland and Vancouver Island (the big island). We are just north of the San Juan Islands in Washington State, south of the 49th parallel. If you find the San Juans on a map, go north just across the international boundary, and we are the largest in the the group of little islands. SSI is about 15 miles long and 3-5 miles wide. We have ferry connections to two points on Vancouver Island and to the big ferry terminal south of Vancouver on the mainland, as well as scheduled float plane service.
Intrigued? come and join the Elann knit-out in September!

Alice
7/13/2005 8:50:03 PM
Pakucho is Calling My Name.... Hi Barbara

It`s a wonderful cotton to knit - long staple fibres.I didn`t find that it split, even though I was knitting a two-colour slip-stitch pattern. I did knit to a firm gauge, I think loose knitting might lead to problems. Shrinkage after going through a regular wash cycle and through the dryer on regular heat was about 10% in length and almost nothing in width. The colours are more complex than they appear on the computer screen. Dani looked at a partial ball of avocado when she was here last weekend and really liked it even though she had shown no interest in the image when it was restocked last month.
Go for it - it`ll be great for California.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
7/15/2005 5:02:49 PM
Harris Tweed Shetland To those thinking about next Tuesday`s Harris Tweed: I am working away on some I bought last year - fair isle to be steeked for a cardigan. Even in the fair isle pattern I am only getting 24 stitches = 4 inches on a 3.25mm circular. There was just no way I could get the 27-29 stitches without a hard matted, unattractive lump. So swatch carefully, establish your desired gauge, and go for it. At 24 st to 4 inches it knits up quite quickly into a firm fabric. The yarn has a certain hairiness which looks better when not stranged to death.

For lace, try a 5.00mm for a start, then go up or down as you need. It`s not a floppy yarn, it has plenty of turgor, so will show off a pattern.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
7/16/2005 11:38:28 AM
Azzurro Summer Top - Armholes - Need help! It has to be at the beinning of the row not the end. It should read "bind off 2 stitches at the beginning of the next 8 rows and then one stitch at the beginning of the two following rows".

Alice
Salt Spring Island
7/21/2005 10:31:20 AM
Homebuying help needed ASAP Emily
I agree with Barbara about the lease only being cancellable if you buy through that realtor - that`s fishy-smelling. Phone or e-mail the state real estate board and ask about this practice.

The sellor is going to want to recoup his purchase price, plus commission (MLS is 6% here), plus legal fees, plus moving expenses just to break even. Unless the vendor really has to move or is being reimbursed for any shortfall by an employer on a transfer situation, he is not going to be eager to sell to you at a loss, no matter how nice you are.
You need to factor in your moving costs a second time, if you rent first, plus anything you spend to get the apartment to your liking, plus 6 - 12 months rent, to evaluate what the cost increase really is. Unless this is an extremely inexpensive town in which to live, it`s easy to eat up several thousand dollars - more than the couple of thousand you may have to go up.
The assessor`s price is simply as good as he/she is feeling that day. He may not have actually gone and looked at the property, simply posted `a value` based on square footage, number of bedrooms, bathrooms, age of house, size of lot, etc. Owners appeal assessments to keep their taxes down - here, if the appeal is only a few thousand, the assessment office in Victoria often just grants the appeal because it`s less expensive than sending someone over here to check everything out. Assessments +/- $10,000 are really pretty close.

It sounds like the owners are willing to negotiate, they have come down, so if you really like the house, offer $1000 more, and see what they do. Negotiation is the name of the game in real estate. AND get your agent to take you around the neighbourhood to look at everything else for sale - or if you are in Chicago, have her send you full particulars about numerous other houses. Check the MLS listings on-line every day, and send her messages, and again, ask for full particulars about any new ones. Make her earn her commission - she`ll tell the vendors that you are seriously looking at other properties. She`ll start working for you, just to get you off her back.
If you really like the house, this means that other people will like it, too, and hence the resale value. List all the things which make it a good choice for you. If you are planning to stay there 3-5 years, even the old estimate of 2% increase in value per year will certainly cover a small `overpayment` and yield a profit to you. Is interest on your mortgage payments still tax deductable in the US? If so, you are way ahead to buy. If not, borrowing an extra $2000 at 7% will cost you an extra $140 in interest per year. This is less than $12 a month more, not to live in an apartment.
Don`t give up yet, it`s all a game that takes perseverance and endurance.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
7/26/2005 8:49:17 AM
knitting with denim It shrinks 10-15% in length, but I haven`t noticed the width changing. If length shrinkage is a problem (if the knitter did not add the extra length), don`t put the garment into the dryer - hang on a hanger and its own weight will pull it down. Just watch that it doesn`t get too long.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
7/26/2005 9:05:19 AM
Bets & Shui Kuen, how many balls of Den-m-nit? I knitted the Chunky Cable Vest from Creative Knitting - March 2005, as a sample for the June retreats. I used two strands together, one light and one mid indigo, and it knitted up very fast with excellent definition. I made it longer by knitting a cable up the centre front for several inches before beginning the knot. I just weighed it, and it took 450g for a size small in the longer length. [I had hopes that DD might wear it as part of her `professional wardrobe`, but as she is going to Singapore, probably not. Maybe in A/C?]
I bought the cones last year, and they seem to go on forever. Think of each ball as 90 yards to allow for shrinkage and you should be fine.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
7/26/2005 9:09:52 AM
Ball Winder, Schmall Winder Also watch that the starting end does not get tangled in the gears of the ball winder. It takes forever to pick yarn out with serger tweezers.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
7/27/2005 6:09:45 PM
Movin on up Try putting your bags in a freezer (someone`s big chest freezer if possible)for a few days. Then let them thaw out for 3-4 days, and freeze them again for several more days. That way, you get anything that moves the first time, and any eggs that hatch in the thaw period with the refreezing. A third time wouldn`t hurt.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
7/27/2005 6:17:31 PM
Winding Yarn into Balls Lesley
I use a swift with the ball winders (I`ve had a hand one for a long time, and then a wonderful knitter sent me an electric one last year for winding the Dorcas yarn), and I have found that if I have a good space between the swift and the winder (about 8 feet), everything works much better. Don`t know why it works, perhaps it evens out the tension.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
7/27/2005 6:17:31 PM
Winding Yarn Into Balls Lesley
I use a swift with the ball winders (I`ve had a hand one for a long time, and then a wonderful knitter sent me an electric one last year for winding the Dorcas yarn), and I have found that if I have a good space between the swift and the winder (about 8 feet), everything works much better. Don`t know why it works, perhaps it evens out the tension.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
7/27/2005 6:21:25 PM
Scotland - 2006 The electronic flyer is ready. Send me an e-mail if you would like to receive it. It`s four pages, so I`ll send it as an attachment, unless you give me other instructions.

e-mail is: truemana@telus.net

Alice
Salt Spring Island
7/27/2005 6:22:23 PM
Elsebeth is Calling to Me...... Much too warm. Resist!

Alice
Salt Spring Island
pages: First ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33... Last