Alice Trueman - all messages by user

4/24/2005 8:48:57 AM
Lace knitting help needed Annie

When you start knitting it up again, use the lifeline as already suggested - something like mercerized cotton - and use lots of ring markers. With a marker between every repeat across the row, you see immediately if your stitches are off the pattern.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
4/27/2005 9:05:16 AM
help, please! Hi Bri
Sit down with a cup of tea. Then look at your knitting carefully.
If you were going knit the first stitch, you would insert your needle in the front of the stitch(strand closest to you) from left to right. To tbl, you insert the needle in the BACK strand from left to right and then knit as usual.

To purl, you insert the needle right to left, so to purl tbl, you insert the needle right to left in the back strand and then purl as usual.

I`m saying `as usual` because I don`t know if you throw (English) or pick (continental). Takes a little practice, but soon your fingers will know the rhythm.

Tbl twists the stitch, either to tighten stitches or for effect.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
4/27/2005 9:41:00 AM
Salt Spring Fall Retreat - I mailed my deposit! Hi All
Keep planning that knitting. I`ll show anyone who wants to learn how to do two-handed colour-work - you need to be able to knit English and Continental, so practise ahead if you can.
Extra bags are a great help - everyone goes home with more than she came with. DH has got very skilled at passing up bags to float plane pilots as if they weigh just nothing at all, when actually they are way over the 25 pound limit, and usually more than one. If you are on the ferry, it`s no problem at all - on the boats to Tsawwassen, there`s a baggage cart, so you can put it on, and collect it at other end, so the `you can only take it if you can carry it` rule doesn`t even apply.

For September, bring lots of odd balls of yarn so that you can try out what other people are doing.

Clothes - very casual. This is an island on the West Coast. A decent pair of pants and a t-shirt will take you almost everywhere. (If the pants have a crease in the right places, that`s really spiffy.) A hand-knit sweater will take you through the most formal occasions. September can be warm, last year we had the big woodstove on, so it just depends. It`s been over 70 degrees everyday for the past week, and this is only April. Footwear - sandles, sneakers, something comfortable. You won`t need boots, rubber or hiking, unless you are going to do some serious hiking - lots of trails if you do want to. If you are spending time in Victoria, you`ll want something a little dressier, or maybe neater is a better description. ie yesterday I went over to run errands and take DD to lunch - wore tan chinos (dubious crease) and navy t-shirt and that was middle-of-the-road.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
4/27/2005 10:06:10 AM
Off to Scotland Friday morning at 6:30am Dani and I board the ferry en route to Scotland. For those who don`t know, our mission is to locate a suitable house for a 12 day retreat next year - probably in early May.
We are based in Inverness for the first week with 6 or 7 houses to look at in the Highlands. Some are fairly remote but with spectacular scenery, others are closer to towns. A couple are former hotels or run as a hotel in the summer, others are private houses rented out for income.I promise to pay special attention to bathrooms. Kitchen is important, too, I crossed off the list ones with descriptions such as "traditional baronial kitchen" and "still in its traditional medieval state". For those of you who have watched `Monarch of the Glen` on PBS, the series is filmed in real places along the Great Glen in the Highlands between Inverness and Fort William.

Then we go to Ayr, down the west coast, and look at some in the south, including a really spectacular-looking one, of which we could take all, or pieces. Dani wants to go to Ireland for a day from here, which should be do-able.
We end with a couple of days in Edinburgh, and then she flies to Prague and wanders around eastern Europe for two weeks, and I come home.

The idea of 12 days is so that on a two week rental, I`ll have a day to set-up and a day to pack-up. The retreat will be all-inclusive once knitters arrive at the nearest train-station/village. Airfare is NOT included, which means that people can use airmiles, Visa points, frequent flier, seat sales, or whatever they have, and can fly earlier or return later, from their airport of choice. I`m hoping to come in at about half the rate charged by the well-advertised competition, AND include all meals.

If this goes well, we could see the world with knitting needles in hand!!!

Anyway, I`ll be away, but Mark will check my e-mail each day and answer questions about non-knitting matters. He`ll tell you if something must await my return on the 18th.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
4/28/2005 9:23:16 AM
help, please! You`re right - it all depends upon how you hold your needles. I knit northern European continental, but the way I purl is different from many continental knitters - I discovered recently that my method is called `Norwegian Purl`. That makes sense as I was taught how to knit continental by a Norwegian friend. The lesson was held sitting on the front steps of the verandah of a log-built lodge high in the Canadian Rockies, over-looking a blue mountain lake, glaciers, and Mt. Assiniboine - we both worked there some 40 years ago. With this list, there`ll be someone who has been there!

Alice
Salt Spring Island
5/20/2005 10:02:56 AM
Scotland was Wonderful Hi Everyone

I`m back from Scotland and have finished sleeping for now. It`s a wonderfully scenic country ranging from snow-covered mountains, to lush green fields. Had to keep reminding myself that it`s the same size as the Big Island (Vancouver Island) that I see across the Narrows from my windows here. With two big cities, there`s a lot of land with simply no people, just thousands and thousands of sheep.

Nobody knits anymore. I wore my red cabled cardigan (Ann knows the pattern)and had lots of comments about mothers or grandmothers knitting `like that` but no one actually does. The department stores like John Lewis and Jenner`s have a wool section, but carry no more yarn stock than does the quilt store here on Salt Spring. I found a small amount of Jamieson & Smith yarn in a little shop selling woollen goods in Edinburgh. I bought some and chatted to the woman at the cash desk. She gave me her card and is most willing to order in stock for people. There was another small shop selling "hand-knitted" sweaters, scarves, hats, etc. They were "hand-framed" not "hand-knitted" and certainly would not be at the price - mostly 40 to 60 pounds, all under 100 pounds ($200US). The owner told me that she made them all herself, all from her own designs. They were actually spin-offs from Alice Starmore designs, mostly from "The Celtic Collection". She was most peculiar, but DD and I figured out that she probably realized that I recognised the designs. When I mentioned bringing a group of knitters to Scotland, her first comment was "Don`t bring them here" and went on to complain about all that knitters ever did was come in and take pictures. Shall avoid her emporium in the future. She was so rude that it was fascinating.

Anyway, we stayed in an apartment in Inverness for a week and looked at seven big houses in the Highlands. Then we had a week in Ayrshire and looked at two more. In between we drove about (me driving on the left side of the road and Dani navigating), went all around Loch Ness, saw castles and villages. From Ayrshire we took the ferry to Northern Ireland for a day. Took the train from Ayr into Glasgow for a daytrip - easy to do. Then we took the rental car back to Inverness and the train back to Edinburgh. Drove through the edge of Glasgow going down to Ayr and then back up. We did much better the second time. No traffic lights, just roundabouts, going the other way around. I tried to remind myself that Highway 401 across mid-town Toronto has 16 lanes, and the one across Glasgow had 4 and sometimes 6 - didn`t help too much,but we made it. Driving in the countryside, especially the Highlands, is no problem at all except for the occasional sheep wandering along the road and the suicidal pheasants who stand in the middle of the road to preen themselves.

Houses - all nine had pluses in some areas. Some were former or current hotels, some were strictly rental properties, others were private homes. Our first choice is one in Perthshire in the lower part of a spectacular glen, with sheep. The owner showed us around a very comfortable country house with lots of character. Large drawing and dining rooms. Twelve bedrooms in a good assortment of singles, doubles, and twins and eight bathrooms, some ensuite. Central heating! He owns 6500 acres up the glen which comes complete with river frontages and two little lochans, good for walks. Despite looking like a highland scene from a Sir Walter Scott novel, there`a a little train station on the Edinburgh line about 10 minutes up the road. Edinburgh and Glasgow are just over an hour away, both easy to reach by train for day trips for sightseeing and shopping. Perth with overnight train sleeper service from London is less than 30 minutes away. Lots of little villages and castles all about.Great house and super-location.

Everyone who comes must knit in public at every possible opportunity with a missionary-like zeal!!! Knitting needs to be re-established in Scotland.

We had a great time!
Alice
Salt Spring Island
5/21/2005 8:50:10 AM
Scotland was Wonderful We were not able to get to see those particular dogs, but we did see dogs working sheep on the hillsides. I think that the dogs positively enjoy outsmarting the sheep. Our house of first choice has a full-time shepherd (with dogs) and thousands of sheep, so maybe he could put on a demostration of skills. I learned that the sheep are gathered in six times a year, but didn`t think to ask about dates.

Must have a look at Iain Banks` book - we encountered a number of distilleries on our travels. To get to one house we looked at, we actually drove through the Glenlivet Distillery, literally a driveway through an arch in the building. I presume that it was once the owner`s or manager`s house. Scenery was not as spectacular as our first choice, but could be a choice for a retreat in the future. In Muir of Ord we viewed the country hotel across the road from the Ord Distillery.

If some husbands come on the retreat in Scotland next year, they could have a very mellow time with a round of golf in the morning, a visit to a distillery in the afternoon, and a little fishing in the river or a lochan at dusk - they might not want to return to America!

Alice
Salt Spring Island
5/23/2005 8:19:33 AM
M1 woes That`s right, Benne, knit into the back of the picked up bar to tighten the stitch. Otherwise, you get a `design feature` of little holes. Fine for babies and little girls, but boys tend to complain. Snug up the stitch when you knit it.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
5/23/2005 8:27:42 AM
September on Salt Spring I know some of you have already booked in for September on Salt Spring, but if you are seriously thinking about coming and haven`t said so, would you let me know. I`m already getting requests from non-elann people who have heard about us. I want to be sure that elannites have first choice.

Thanks
Alice
Salt Spring Island

New e-mail addi truemana@telus.net

Please put it in your address book. The uniserve account will work for a while until the subscription runs out, but we are not renewing it. ADSL has finally reached us.
September on Salt Spring I know some of you have already booked in for September on Salt Spring, but if you are seriously thinking about coming and haven`t said so, would you let me know. I`m already getting requests from non-elann people who have heard about us. I want to be sure that elannites have first choice.

Thanks
Alice
Salt Spring Island

Please put it in your address book. The uniserve account will work for a while until the subscription runs out, but we are not renewing it. ADSL has finally reached us.

Thanks
Alice
Salt Spring Island

Thanks
Alice
Salt Spring Island

5/23/2005 5:37:09 PM
September on Salt Spring Dates are any nights between September 11 and the 18th - for departure on the 19th from the farm. Overflow can sleep at my house at same price. If due to travel arrangements, you need to come earlier or stay later, my house is an option.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
September on Salt Spring Dates are any nights between September 11 and the 18th - for departure on the 19th from the farm. Overflow can sleep at my house at same price. If due to travel arrangements, you need to come earlier or stay later, my house is an option.

Alice
Salt Spring Island

Alice
Salt Spring Island

Alice
Salt Spring Island
5/24/2005 8:28:40 AM
September on Salt Spring Suzann

Where do you live? Maybe you could join up with someone coming from near you. Or perhaps you could stay over with someone en route.

If you fly into Vancouver, there`s regular float plane service to Salt Spring. Likewise from Seattle - Naomi can tell you more about that route. Would DH like to come too? He could play golf, go fishing, hike, kayak, etc.

Alice
Salt Spring Island

Where do you live? Maybe you could join up with someone coming from near you. Or perhaps you could stay over with someone en route.

If you fly into Vancouver, there`s regular float plane service to Salt Spring. Likewise from Seattle - Naomi can tell you more about that route. Would DH like to come too? He could play golf, go fishing, hike, kayak, etc.

Alice
Salt Spring Island

Alice
Salt Spring Island

Alice
Salt Spring Island
pages: First ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31... Last