Alice Trueman - all messages by user

4/5/2005 6:55:55 AM
Austerman Peru Hi Ellen

What can I say? Come to the June retreat and learn all about it! Even get started on the project.You`ll be amazed at how much confidence a week gives you.
E-mail me at trueman@uniserve.com

Alice
Salt Spring Island
4/6/2005 1:45:57 PM
Elannites` Retreat Hi Barbara et al

Yes, there`s still room - I haven`t actually posted the registration form yet, but I know people are coming!
It`s from: earlist arrival Sept 11, latest departure September 19th. You can book in for as many night as you like at $40US/$50CDN for accommodation and meals BUT, you need to chip in for the chores. Last year, I left everyone to get her own breakfast (they ate through three large batches of home-made granola and only 2 eggs), I put out stuff for lunch and cooked dinner. The knitters did clean-up, bathrooms,laundry, room make-up when some left and others came, etc, etc. Lesley will crack the whip if you slack off. You bring whatever you want to knit, and I help you. This is a break-even situation.
The June retreats are twice the price, but you get specific lessons (every day - you have to work hard), projects, organized outings, and pampering - all meals cooked by a chef served to you buffet-style, clean-up and housekeeping done, beds made up if you don`t, bathrooms cleaned, errands run by DH if you need something (yes, he will even pick up knitting needles). Still space June 14 - June 21.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
4/7/2005 7:15:58 AM
Circs again Addi Turbos are worth the money if you are going to knit more than one pair of socks. The cost only hurts once.
In Canada, we also have Aero, which `will do`, but are not nearly as good.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
4/14/2005 9:31:07 AM
Question about cabling Hi Annie

Try snugging the yarn up tight when you knit the cross-over stitches. Knitting (or purling into the back of the stitch helps,too. Using a needle one size smaller than you would normally use firms up the knitting. Use a small sized cable needle. Another trick is to put the moving stitches onto a bodkin (I use a plastic yarn-sewing needle), then slide them back onto the left needle to knit.

Take a look at a `real` (not a quick run-off for the tourist trade) aran or fisherman`s sweater and you`ll see how tightly it is knitted.I knitted a celtic cardigan (the pattern of the one Ann wears) with the Peruvian bagged wool on a 4.0mm needle. Firm and warm.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
4/14/2005 3:34:18 PM
June Cables & Knots Class - Salt Spring Many thanks for the wonderful PR!!!!!

Cheryl, maybe you could come over for the day during the first retreat to meet Barbara.

Yes, only space left in the first retreat - June 14 to 21st. Single rooms still available but the loft is taken by a group of friends from Seattle.

For ferries, go onto www.bcferries.com. We are part of the Southern Gulf Islands. The ferry from the mainland comes to Long Harbour on Salt Spring twice a day, BUT the big ferries leave from the same terminal every two hours on the odd hours for Swartz Bay on Vancouver Island (for Victoria). The ferry from Swartz Bay to Fulford Harbour on Salt Spring leaves on the odd hours as well. So the 1pm from Vancouver gets in to Swartz at 2:35, and the ferry to Fulford leaves at 3pm on a THROUGH TICKET. Big ferry uses Berth 1 and the Salt Spring ferry Berth 2, 3, or 4, so it`s only a 3 to 4 minute walk from one to the others. Lots of staff to guide people, and there are signs. The airport in Vancouver is half way between the city and the ferry terminal.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
4/15/2005 9:24:11 AM
Bitter bitter tears This is the time to order more yarn, on DH`s Visa card. Make sure it`s expensive - and lots of it.

As to the neighbour and her lawn, may all the little moles and field mice like her lawn more than yours. Perhaps little ends of alpaca could blow over onto her side of property line to help them make cosy little nests - MEOW.

She should aplogise to you AND offer to have the sweater reknitted for you.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
4/17/2005 11:27:29 AM
knitting socks Patricia

If you e-mail me, I`ll send you a simplified version of socks on two circulars. trueman@uniserve.com

I knit one sock at a time - socks are my ferry knitting - as I can just drop everything into my lap if I have to move suddenly. One sock, no tangles. I use mostly the self-patterning yarn, new balls or scraps of it with plain colours to finish up oddments. I centre-pull the balls, and get both to the same starting place before I start knitting the first sock. When I get to the second sock, I just need to glance at the first sock to know when to stop the ribbing, turn the heel, or whatever, with no need to count.

I have two of those itty-bitty lights now, one for my knitting and one for my book, much more efficient than the overhead carlight.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
knitting socks Patricia

If you e-mail me, I`ll send you a simplified version of socks on two circulars. trueman@uniserve.com

I knit one sock at a time - socks are my ferry knitting - as I can just drop everything into my lap if I have to move suddenly. One sock, no tangles. I use mostly the self-patterning yarn, new balls or scraps of it with plain colours to finish up oddments. I centre-pull the balls, and get both to the same starting place before I start knitting the first sock. When I get to the second sock, I just need to glance at the first sock to know when to stop the ribbing, turn the heel, or whatever, with no need to count.

I have two of those itty-bitty lights now, one for my knitting and one for my book, much more efficient than the overhead carlight.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
Knitting socks Patricia

Alice
Salt Spring Island
4/18/2005 9:39:46 AM
Weird People You Meet in the Yarn Aisle Some customers!

I was in Beehive Wools in Victoria last week when a woman:
a) took over the binder of patterns I was looking at
b) asked me to help her find a pattern for a poncho in granny squares
c) decided she liked one in a store booklet I showed her
d) was told by the very patient saleslady that that was a store booklet but she could get a new copy in for her in two days
e) asked for a photocopy, saying she`d pay the cost of the copying
f) when asked which yarn she was going to purchase, replied she didn`t need any
g) walked out of the store in a huff when photocopying was politely refused.

The saleslady and I just rolled our eyes at the ceiling and then had a giggle.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
4/20/2005 12:38:40 PM
sock yarn gauge Hi Suzann
Look at the sock pattern - it suggests 2,25mm or 2.5mm
which will give you a much firmer fabric.

2.25mm = American #1 or Canadian/British #13
2.50mm = American #2 or Canadian/British #12

The #3 American on the yarn band is way too big for socks, that`s 3.25mm. American sizes have a big jump between #2 and #3, Canadian/British sizes have a size #11 in between, but even that is still too large for socks, unless you are a very tight knitter. Size #1 is normal!

Remember, if you are using computer-dyed patterned yarn, and want both socks to look the same, pull out yarn, match the pattern, and cut off the extra bit(s) at the beginning before you start knitting. Some yarns will match within a few yards, others take rather longer. This is easy to do on a carpet or table, but I always seem to be doing it in my car.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
4/20/2005 9:45:10 PM
Sleeves It doesn`t make sense. Is it by any chance a British or Canadian pattern? If so, needle sizes are reversed from the American sizes.

8 = 6US
9 = 5US
and so on. The instructions for the body may have said "using the smaller needle", or "change to larger needle" without giving the size.

Cables on the sleeves should be knitted the same size as cables on the body. Cables pull in the knitting, so if the gauge is too tight, you get a lumpy mess instead of interesting entwinings. Ribbing needs to be on a smaller needle or have fewer stitches than the cables on the same sized needles. Otherwise it will be flappy. If you are satisfied with the look of the body, do the sleeves on the same size.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
4/20/2005 9:56:40 PM
September on Salt Spring Here is the registration form for the September Knit-In. If you are coming, please send it back to me (with deposit cheque) at address below.
I`ll give you directions about how to get here once I know where you are coming from. If you come without a car, someone will meet you.

Alice Trueman
255 Canvasback Place
Salt Spring Island
British Columbia, Canada V8K 2W5

SEPTEMBER KNITTING RETREAT ON SALT SPRING ISLAND AT SUNSET FARM

This is a low-cost fun retreat, with everyone sharing the chores, so that we can keep the cost to $50CDN/$40US per person per night for accommodation and meals.
We need $100CDN/$80US per person non-refundable deposit, to reserve your place. Please fill out the following:

Name:

Address:

e-mail: Phone:

Dates: night of: September 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18

Accommodation: choose from the following:

Single Room Double Room - queen bed Double Room – 2 beds

Loft – 4 beds

Sharing with:

Deposit: $100CDN/$80US

Travel: arriving by: Ferry Float Plane Boat

Need to be met at dock: Yes No

Rooms will be assigned on a first-come basis as far as I am able. If you want a single, apply early (3 possible singles at the farm, one at my house – remember, not everyone is coming for all the days). The singles all have double beds and can take a cot for a second bed. Loft at the farm is 4 single beds, at my house is a double plus singles. Bathroom on each floor at either house.

Any questions, just ask.
This should be great fun!!!!!!!!!!!

Alice Trueman

1-250-538-0211 trueman@uniserve.com
September on Salt Spring Here is the registration form for the September Knit-In. If you are coming, please send it back to me (with deposit cheque) at address below.
I`ll give you directions about how to get here once I know where you are coming from. If you come without a car, someone will meet you.

Alice Trueman
255 Canvasback Place
Salt Spring Island

This is a low-cost fun retreat, with everyone sharing the chores, so that we can keep the cost to $50CDN/$40US per person per night for accommodation and meals.
We need $100CDN/$80US per person non-refundable deposit, to reserve your place. Please fill out the following:

Name:

Address:

Loft – 4 beds

Sharing with:

Rooms will be assigned on a first-come basis as far as I am able. If you want a single, apply early (3 possible singles at the farm, one at my house – remember, not everyone is coming for all the days). The singles all have double beds and can take a cot for a second bed. Loft at the farm is 4 single beds, at my house is a double plus singles. Bathroom on each floor at either house.

Any questions, just ask.

Alice Trueman

Alice Trueman
255 Canvasback Place
Salt Spring Island

Name:

Address:

Loft – 4 beds

Sharing with:

Any questions, just ask.

Alice Trueman

Alice Trueman
255 Canvasback Place
Salt Spring Island

Name:

Address:

Loft – 4 beds

Sharing with:

Any questions, just ask.

Alice Trueman

4/21/2005 9:29:18 AM
September on Salt Spring If you are flying from an American city, Vancouver is the best flight destination. Not many flights into Victoria from US, but you can sometimes find a bargain if an airline is trying to fill a plane.

If you are close to the Canadian border, consider Westjet - they often have seat sales on line.

If you like train travel, whichever side of the border you live on, look into the train passes - Via and Amtrak have combination ones. My son is going Vancouver to Halifax and back on a two week pass to see the country. Sleepers include meals.

Keep planning!

Alice
Salt Spring Island
September on Salt Spring If you are flying from an American city, Vancouver is the best flight destination. Not many flights into Victoria from US, but you can sometimes find a bargain if an airline is trying to fill a plane.

If you are close to the Canadian border, consider Westjet - they often have seat sales on line.

If you like train travel, whichever side of the border you live on, look into the train passes - Via and Amtrak have combination ones. My son is going Vancouver to Halifax and back on a two week pass to see the country. Sleepers include meals.

Keep planning!

Alice
Salt Spring Island

Keep planning!

Alice
Salt Spring Island

Keep planning!

Alice
Salt Spring Island
pages: First ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30... Last