Alice Trueman - all messages by user

3/4/2005 10:11:21 AM
Socks on 2 circs So pleased to read that many of you are befriending Annabel and Beatrice (2 circulars, needle A and needle B), they`ll become great friends and let you do almost anything in little, or big, circles.

With the socks, the advantage I`ve found, when teaching people to turn the heel and knit the gusset, by having Annabel work from the middle of the back of the heel to the middle of the part that goes over the foot (instep isn`t quite the right term, because it`s the top part), and then the same number of stitches on Beatrice, is that the two sides are the mirror image of each other. A knitter can see the profile shape, and make any minor changes necessary to fit the intended foot. [A friend decreases every third row for her DH`s socks because this fits his foot smoothly, she realized this would be better by looking at the profile.] Also, you are doing the same procedure on both needles, so know when you have the decreases even, and get into a quick, mindless rhythm.
It`s entirely a matter of choice. One of the people in the knitting group here, who`s a professional knitter, can`t understand my instructions at all, but others who can barely knit, have used them and turned out wonderful pairs of socks. The way you visualize things may determine the method you prefer. There`s no right or wrong!

Alice
Salt Spring Island
3/4/2005 10:15:28 AM
Non-knitting good news to share Congratulations!!!!
Where is the other choice? Hope it`s a good knitting place, too.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
3/5/2005 9:55:58 AM
Proof that Husbands Don`t Listen to a Word We Say Hi - Bits and Pieces re SSI
Partners are welcome to come to Salt Spring. Could stay at my house and join us for meals at the farm - I`m only cooking in one place. Could stay at Ruckle Park on the edge of the ocean at the SOUTH end of the island - I have a good-sized 2-roomed nylon tent - the children and I used to go camping with it when they were MUCH younger (now 23 and 25). DHs could do a guy thing for about $15CDN a night per campsite in the park. Tent has a water-proof fly that goes over the top - someone needs to be over 5`6" with reasonablly long arms to get it on (first time DS and I did it, in the pouring rain, both of us at 5`3" had a dreadful time, but when he reached 6` it was a cinch). Also, many places up and down the coast, cabins, lodges, etc. Or take the BC Ferry to Prince Rupert, and then the Alaska State ferry to points farther north - an Alaskan cruise at a fraction of the cost! Maybe you want to go too and Knit!

PASSPORTS - if you are American born or a US citizen, you should have TWO pieces of photo ID to get into Canada. We can get into the US with the same, or often less. Just check to see what you need to get home again. Other citizenship, bring your passport.

Naomi, if you read this, perhaps you could add.

Buy travelling health insurance, it can cost you as little as $15 and then you don`t have to worry.

Start gathering the knitting you are going to bring.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
3/9/2005 9:24:50 AM
I am so stupid Make a large pot of tea, sit in a comfortable chair, and take the instructions slowly.

Moss Stitch: British version -(1) K P K P K P . . .
Next row -(2) K P K P K P . . .
For the second row, you need to read the knitting and knit or purl the opposite to what you see before you. [Ribbing, you knit the same]. With this version, you can see right away if you are coming out ribbing or moss stitch.

American Version: (1) K P K P K P . . .
(2) K P K P K P . . .
(3) P K P K P K . . .
(4) P K P K P K . . .

The important thing is, as above, to read your knitting, and note down completed row

If you are doing the short rows in moss stitch, you are probably better NOT to knit up the wraps, the little bar will show less than than the knit up. I suspect this is how you are getting lace.

You are not joined at the hip to the chart - think about what the chart is telling you to do across the whole row, write it in your own words on a piece of scrap paper, read your stitches to see how you can make the moss stitch work, and knit across. Drink another cup of tea.

You can do this!
Write again if it is still confusing.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
3/9/2005 9:42:05 AM
Me and my bright idea!!! NOT As one of those allergic people, we`ve all done it at one time or another. Just don`t leave the tried and true products for any reason.You body can react to something in the filler in the product, not just the main ingredients. ie. pharmacy made a substitution to `their brand` of one of my meds, told me it was exactly the same, after two weeks, I was in full allergy mode, stopped taking it, and took two months to settle down. The difference was in the filler, not the drug part.The pharmacists` reaction was `surprise`, no one else had reacted.
Drink more tea, it so often helps with skin eruptions, even if it just reduces your stress level.

Order more yarn, it`ll make you feel better.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
3/9/2005 10:02:58 AM
I`m Baaa-aack Try saying things such as, "This baby is going to be so big, he`s going to need the 6mth size when he`s born". "Babies seem to be so much bigger now than they used to be". "Doctor is pleased that he is going to be such a big, healthy baby". Repeated often enough, DGM-to-be will pass the comments on the her friends. Then there`s the really good stand-by - my country doctor in a small town in Ontario maintained that as soon as a happy baby reached eleven pounds, he would sleep through the night. So you just tell everyone, you are working on reaching the eleven pound mark quickly. [It was true for me, I went back to school when J was 41/2 weeks old and he slept 11-6 from that first week, and D was 7 weeks and she cooperated,too.] Neither fitted into newborn or 3-mth size, ever.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
3/11/2005 8:51:19 AM
Teaching question Toques are great beginner projects, they teach skills, are fairly quick gratification, and are safe for children. Toques?, of yes, it`s a Canadian term, isn`t it - fishermen`s hats, those pull on hats that go down over the ears. Ann Budd has a simple pattern in her Knitter`s Handy Book of Patterns. There`s a rolled-up rim version that could be knitted with no shaping at all, by gathering the stitches on a doubled length of yarn, pulling tight and anchoring firmly.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
3/11/2005 9:02:32 AM
Sweater so far Looks great!
When adding a stitch in moss stitch, do the fudging (make 1) at the edge of the pattern, not in the middle. Work out the number of stitches you need for continuing, and get to that number. As long as you read your knitting, you can make the moss stitch come out right, look at a stitch about 5 in from the beginning of a row, decide what you need to do with it, and then count in pattern back to the start of the row. It is much easier to see an inch in than on the first stitch.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
3/11/2005 9:08:11 AM
Me and my bright idea!!! NOT Forgot to add this one. Take two 100% cotton pillow cases with you and put both on any pillow you sleep with. You have no idea what those sparkling clean ones have actually been washed in.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
3/12/2005 8:43:04 AM
I`m meeting Maureen on Sunday Have fun together in Calgary. Cheryl, when you want to leave home, you can always hop on that ferry from Tsawwassen to Long Harbour, and I`ll pick you up.
Still space in the June 14 to 21st retreat ($700US and you get pampered) - you could come June and September. Can`t you get your doctor to prescribe R&R?
Anyone, still space.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
3/12/2005 4:55:54 PM
Knitting retreat in June Hi Lisa

Send me an e-mail at trueman@uniserve.com
and I`ll zap you back an electronic flyer.
You sound ready to be pampered!

Alice
Salt Spring Island
3/14/2005 9:05:31 AM
Roll call-what`s on the needles? I`m working on the Chunky Cable Vest from Creative Knitting (latest) using the two mid-shades of the indigo cotton (on cones from last year) together. It`s going to be a sample for the retreat, and then DD gets it. At going on 24, she is not in the bare-midriff brigade, so I knitted about 4 extra inches of a single cable up the front before I started the knot. It goes really fast, two days of sporadic knitting and I`m almost up to the start of the V. The indigo yarn has great definition, looks good, and will dress up jeans when worn over a decent shirt.

Thanks to the curling championships on TV, I`ve finished the cabled/knotted cardigan in the bagged wool and the gansey in HW. Just need to be steamed and blocked now. Fanny`s (fabric store chain) in Duncan had some pewter/look buttons with a raised celtic knot - just the thing for the cardigan.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
3/16/2005 10:07:24 AM
Gauge question Good question!
I think that if you are on gauge, you should be knitting the same number of stitches, each `on gauge` stitch should take the same amount of yarn to make it the same size as the pattern stitch, therefore, you need the same amount. Check the row gauge,if you need more rows to equal 10cm/4inches, then you`ll need more yarn. Here`s a simple way to get an educated guess. If the pattern calls for 30 rows and you are getting 32, that`s 2 more rows:

2/30 = 1/15 = 6.67% more yarn

24 rows and you are getting 26 rows:
2/24 = 1/12 = 8.33% more yarn

The interesting part comes, when you are a little under gauge and/or under row, and you add a few extra stitches on the sides and a few rows in the body, then you need more yarn, and a more complicated calculation.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
3/16/2005 10:07:24 AM
Gauge question Good question!
I think that if you are on gauge, you should be knitting the same number of stitches, each `on gauge` stitch should take the same amount of yarn to make it the same size as the pattern stitch, therefore, you need the same amount. Check the row gauge,if you need more rows to equal 10cm/4inches, then you`ll need more yarn. Here`s a simple way to get an educated guess. If the pattern calls for 30 rows and you are getting 32, that`s 2 more rows:

2/30 = 1/15 = 6.67% more yarn

24 rows and you are getting 26 rows:
2/24 = 1/12 = 8.33% more yarn

The interesting part comes, when you are a little under gauge and/or under row, and you add a few extra stitches on the sides and a few rows in the body, then you need more yarn, and a more complicated calculation.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
3/16/2005 10:20:38 AM
Plans for tonight Hi Libby

Here`s a trick which I found worked. Prop yourself up on your bed with lots of pillows behind you, fold up your knees, cover them with a blanket, sit K on your tummy, facing you, supported by the sling of the blanket, you knit and talk to her, quality time for you both. If she falls asleep, then you just have to keeping on knitting, it wouldn`t be fair to disturb her. You can read, too, if you wedge the book between you - just read aloud, K won`t mind what the story is. DS teethed on mystery stories - PD James was a favourite, complete with sound effects; DD got children`s books because DS was 2 when she was a baby, and he wanted to choose the books and snuggle up too.

Dusting just doesn`t matter. If you have a big fan, or a ceiling fan, turn it on full, and watch the dust bunnies run for cover!

Alice
Salt Spring Island
3/16/2005 10:27:15 AM
One month since my visit to the OR and Hi Jamie

Take really good care of yourself and don`t even think about attempting anything you don`t want to do. No one ever questions `doctor`s orders`,; now I`m sure that the doctor said rest and relax. We all know that rest and relax = knitting, so you are just following orders!

Take care
Alice
Salt Spring Island
3/20/2005 8:46:52 AM
Plymouth Turino Silk Don`t know if it`ll help the silk or not, but it`s worth a try. I`ve used it for cotton. Try spraying with spray starch - the plain, unscented variety - to give it a bit of body.

We used to keep those beehives up with hair spray to give them body, same idea.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
3/25/2005 9:04:51 AM
good news Congratulations!

Now you can order tons more cotton for that `new wardrobe` you`ll need.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
3/25/2005 9:04:51 AM
Good news Congratulations!

Now you can order tons more cotton for that `new wardrobe` you`ll need.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
3/30/2005 8:54:24 AM
New Poll - how do you store your WIP? I`m with Daryl, WIPs are everywhere. Beside me by my computer is a striped t-shirt, side to side, in cotton from stash- mindless knitting; on the otherside is is a not-so-warm Einstein in silk and something - mindless; behind that is a plastic bag with a 3/4 complete tunic in Tropicana - not mindless; on the floor in an elann box is the celtic cardigan in Uros that I did not finish for last year`s retreat - not mindless; and then there`s downstairs - sock bag in the hallway, ready to grab as I go out of the door (bag also includes battery light for the ferry, knitting magazines, book of street maps for Victoria, and at the moment the two cell phone chargers which the boys forgot on the weekend to be delivered to one of them on Thursday); samples of cables for the retreats in the living room - have to concentrate so that I can teach them; and so on it goes. Somewhere there are two Dorcas sweaters that people had trouble with that I haven`t even looked at yet.

It`s just too boring to be too organized. We won`t even mention the pile of things waiting to be steamed and blocked. DS is going to take some pictures of the house for a show album, and asked very tactfully if I thought I could consolidate!

Alice
Salt Spring Island
pages: First ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29... Last