Alice Trueman - all messages by user

2/17/2005 12:14:39 PM
I`m going to camp!! Hi
Think about coming to Salt Spring, especially if you live in the N-W quadrant. You get me and not the `big names`, but twice as many days of knitting at less than half the cost, and it`s all-inclusive once you get here. My chef has been known to get up early to have hot, fresh, home-made cinnamon buns for breakfast at 8 am.
This year, it`s cables and celtic knots.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
2/19/2005 6:29:39 PM
changing projects in midstream - help needed (& a rant) For the sleeves, be brave and try this.
Measure the cuff, add 4 inches to the measurement, then measure this length up from the bottom edge of the sleeve. Sit down with your feet planted firmly on the floor, then cut the edge stitch. Pull out the row, putting the stitches on a needle as you go. Now reknit the cuff to the measurement you want. If the pattern is off half a stitch, knit a couple of rows of some little pattern or reverse stocking stitch to break the jogged line. Do exactly the same to the other sleeve so that they match.

Let me put in a plug here for knitting sleeves from the top down. If you pick up the stitches from the body (the number the pattern says you should finish the sleeve with) and knit down, making decreases instead of increases, it`s really easy to shorten or lengthen if you need to.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
2/20/2005 9:42:46 AM
changing projects in midstream - help needed (& a rant) Set-in sleeves can be knit from the pick-up around the armhole method. Once you pick up the stitches, you short-row back and forth with the shoulder seam in the middle of the short-row rows. Click onto www.knittinguniverse.com, then go to Athena, to Tips and Techniques, and type in top down. You`ll find some really good advice. The notes there will also give you other references to look at.

As to the pattern, try it out on a swatch, but a great many patterns work if you start at the top of the chart and work down, instead of going up. Some look the same when finished in either direction. Cables, you need to watch the twist, but it`s not difficult to see which way to go.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
2/21/2005 9:09:16 AM
Shortening Sleeves I forgot to put in a line when I talked about cutting off sleeves and reknitting the cuff at the right length.
After you get the stitches at the lower edge of the sleeve back on the needle, DECREASE the number of stitches evenly to the number needed for the cuff. [knit 8, knit 2tog, ... or whatever number you need].
This will add a slight amount of fullness just above the cuff, which is usually a good thing. Makes the sleeve more flattering and more comfortable for most people, especially when worn over a shirt. EZ used to knit ribbings with 10% fewer stitches for these reasons.

If you need to lengthen a sleeve, same system works, cut, pick-up, knit down. Great for children`s sweaters when they get to that stage of arms and legs growing longer but circumference staying the same.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
2/23/2005 10:06:54 AM
Adventures of Chris and Betsy! Hi Bets

Thank you for the kind words.

As to the Food Service Certification Course - happy for you that it was good. It`s called Food-Safe here, and a friend and I took it the first year I gave the retreats - I cooked for the first two years until a teacher backed out on me rather too late. I knitted most of a Dorcas sweater during the day, and when I stood waiting as my exam was being marked, the instructress finally looked up and said, "So you can do two things at once!" Don`t think she had ever seen someone knit without looking at the stitches. It`s good to have the piece of paper, health inspectors find `paper` comforting!

The best of success with your enterprise.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
Where the sun is shining in a cloudless sky, and little sailboats are gliding along.
2/23/2005 10:18:55 AM
Devine Day How about `side pieces` with shape. Just use the fancy pieces for panels in front and back. Knit darts into the sides, either with short rows or decreases. Look at a fitted suit or dress to see where longitudinal darts should go. You can shape the edge and use darts for a more tailored fit.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
2/23/2005 10:28:16 AM
Frogged the Noro (bleah-long and whiny) Hi Lisa
Noro works just great for the "Garter-Stitch Short-Rows Pullover" in Nancie Wiseman`s Knitted Sweaters for Every Season. I used the Noro for the coloured stripes just as it came from the ball instead of all the various contrast colours called for in the pattern - worked out really well. Of course, you probably have enough Noro for stripes in sweaters for your whole extended family - but one ball at a time makes you feel very virtuous. Think of all the yarn you can buy to set off the stripes!

Alice
Salt Spring Island
2/24/2005 9:17:25 AM
Austermann Metropolis Hi Gail

I think it should work well. The look will be different because the Metropolis does not contain wool, and from the scan has the hairy bits all around the fibre instead of on one edge. Should look spectacular. What colour are you thinking about - some of the silver with a soft grey ribbing? or something more dramatic?

Knit a gauge swatch and match your stitch count with the schematic in the pattern.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
2/26/2005 8:56:47 AM
What`s up with HW yarn? Are you knitting from the centre of the ball, outwards? If you are rewinding, make sure that the new balls are the right way around before you start knitting. I frogged a poncho in the HW Ruby because it didn`t look right and reknitted it with no problem - I reknitted it whilst reading my thesis research so I was not giving it my undivided attention, or any attention at all, for that matter.

What kind of needles are you using? I find I get more fuzzy bits generally with birch than with metal. The poncho was knit and reknit on an Addi Turbo circulars because I needed it fast for Christmas.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
2/27/2005 8:57:21 AM
Spring is definitely in the air! Hi
The N-W is definitely not dull and dreary this year, we`ve had bright sunshine for two weeks straight. We live high enough (about 700 feet), so that we do not get morning fog off the water, but the ferry is sounding her foghorn this morning. It was up to 18C yesterday, which is about 66 degreesF. My dentist had daffodils in bloom in his garden a month ago, ornamental trees are out in flower, the rhodos have big fat buds, birds are singing. I wonder if they would like some alpaca ends for their nests? Fortunately there were enough days of monsoons over the winter to fill up the lakes and wells, so there`ll be enough water to get the island through the dry season. If this is climate warming,I think we`ll keep it. Must be time to switch to summer yarns!

Alice
Salt Spring Island
2/27/2005 9:05:14 AM
Katia Florida knitting instructions Bind off every other row. You can only decrease when you are knitting from the neck edge to the sleeve - otherwise your yarn ends up in funny places and you can`t get back to the place to start to knit the next row. It`ll look a bit stair-steppy, but will be fine once you attach the edging. Remember to pick up the stitches for the edging a whole stitch in from the edge, in a smooth curve, so that you don`t have holes.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
2/27/2005 9:22:25 AM
Do any of you live in Scotland? My DD and I are coming to Scotland for the first two weeks in May to scout out a large house for a knitting retreat in 2006. We have a list of places to view, clustered in the Highlands and in the south-west, so we are staying in Inverness for a week, outside Ayr for a week, and then a couple of days in Edinburgh, in apartments and cottages. Do any of you live near any of these?

Also, what fibre-related places are must-sees? We need to discover lots of places for field trips. That afternoon boat trip on Loch Ness looks like a winner for scenery.

I gulped at the flyer for the Knitter`s trip to Ireland, great places to visit, but pricy. I`m trying to come in at half that cost, with everything included for twelve days from arrival to departure, by going the country house route rather than using hotels. I`ve already been asked if non-knitting partners may come, too, and the answer is yes, they can go off and play golf or fish, hike, climb, or visit whiskey distilleries. One house advertises that there are 21 golf courses within an hour`s drive! Decisions, decisions!

Hope some of you are near there. Do tell me what we mustn`t miss.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
2/28/2005 10:32:51 AM
Do any of you live in Scotland? Great suggestions! Keep them coming.
My e-mail addi is trueman@uniserve.com
I`m thinking of Scotland in early May so that a retreat there does not conflict with the end of June one(s) here on Salt Spring. There`s a large price difference, too, between mid-season and high season for house rental. Of course, knitters can stay on and do others things, afterwards.
My intent is to do as I do here on Salt Spring, everything is included once you reach the nearest point, which here is ferry or float plane dock. In Scotland, it would most likely be the nearest train station or bus depot. I know we shouldn`t say too much about prices on line, so take out the following line, Ann if you need to

$2600-$3000US range for twelve days (real days not counting trans-Atlantic flight days in the total) for accommodation, meals, snacks, tuition, outings

This will be full-service, you get pampered! For those of you who have met Jenny the Chef, her husband Erin is going to come as chief skivvy (yes, he`s young, tall, dark, and handsome). Hopefully DH will come as assistant skivvy, but if he drags his feet, I`ll find someone else.

Questions- how important are private bathrooms?
- I`ve had the suggestion of a top-down cardigan with a suitably Scottish look for the project, how does this seem? The `Scottish look` could be a choice of fair isle, cables, textured stitches, lace, or whatever.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
2/28/2005 10:54:07 AM
Fall Elann Knit-In Hi
I`m already getting inquiries for the Fall Elann and Friends Knit-In. I`ve arranged the following dates - September 11-18th. I may be able to stretch it to arrival on the 10th, or if you need to come earlier, you can stay at my house. So, as many days as you like between those dates. I`m doing this at cost, remember, so you all help with the chores. Come for as many days as you can.Same price as last year - $40US, $50CDN per night, room, meals, and good fellowship.

Also, I`m pretty well full for the second June retreat, but have several singles and a double (or could be loft with own shower-room for up to four) for the first one - June 14 to 21. Beat the bushes for me! I get a good price for the house September, because I`m a good tenant for June - so I need knitters. $700 all-inclusive, catered to and pampered.

e-mail me at trueman@uniserve.com

Alice
Salt Spring Island
2/28/2005 10:54:07 AM
Fall Elann Knit-In Hi
I`m already getting inquiries for the Fall Elann and Friends Knit-In. I`ve arranged the following dates - September 11-18th. I may be able to stretch it to arrival on the 10th, or if you need to come earlier, you can stay at my house. So, as many days as you like between those dates. I`m doing this at cost, remember, so you all help with the chores. Come for as many days as you can.Same price as last year - $40US, $50CDN per night, room, meals, and good fellowship.

Also, I`m pretty well full for the second June retreat, but have several singles and a double (or could be loft with own shower-room for up to four) for the first one - June 14 to 21. Beat the bushes for me! I get a good price for the house September, because I`m a good tenant for June - so I need knitters. $700 all-inclusive, catered to and pampered.

e-mail me at trueman@uniserve.com

Alice
Salt Spring Island
2/28/2005 4:41:44 PM
Fall Elann Knit-In WHO: anyone who wants to come and knit

WHAT: people come from two days, to the whole time to knit, toddle about the island, go to the Fall Fair, visit some studios, chat to an alpaca, or two, or a whole flock, or just sit on the deck and knit. And sleep, too, as we have very clean air with sea breezes. The owner will show off her sheep and share her experiences as a woman farmer on her own.

WHERE: a three-storey log farmhouse on a sheep farm overlooking the Pacific Ocean on Salt Spring Island, British Columbia, Canada. This is the house I rent for the June retreats, too. There are single bedrooms, doubles, and a loft which sleeps up to four. Bathroom on each level. Extra beds at my house, ten minutes away, if we get crowded. Salt Spring Island is the biggest of the little islands between Vancouver Island(the big island) and the mainland - look at a map of Washington State, find Seattle, go straight north until you reach the San Juan Islands, then go across the international boundary, and we are right there, south of the 49th parallel. Easy access by ferry or float plane, we will meet you at any island dock.

WHEN: Sept 11th to 19th, 2005

WHY: to have fun, meet the people you chat with on-line, relax, recuperate from the summer, soak in the hottub starring at the moon, get help with that knitting you are stuck on, help others.

BUT: this is bare-bones, at cost, I`ll cook, but the rest of you have to do the clean-up and chores - yes, including the bathrooms. June retreats, you get pampered, we smile and do it for you, but this one I squawk. NOTE this is a strictly non-smoking house, if you smoke, you get to stand in the middle of the driveway for safety - dry season lasts until November here, and is VERY dry. Also, it is a working sheep farm, so there is a cat in the house, and sheep, donkeys, llamas, horses, a pig, and dogs outside. The owner`s dogs come inside in the winter.

COST: $40US/$50CDN per night to pay for rent and food. You get your own bed, meals, snacks,etc, outings (we carpool to get places, as some people drive). There are no formal classes, but lots of help with knitting.

We had a great time last year, so are repeating by unanimous consent. I just need to break even on costs, so the more who come, the better.

trueman@uniserve.com

Alice
Salt Spring Island
2/28/2005 4:41:44 PM
Fall Elann Knit-In WHO: anyone who wants to come and knit

WHAT: people come from two days, to the whole time to knit, toddle about the island, go to the Fall Fair, visit some studios, chat to an alpaca, or two, or a whole flock, or just sit on the deck and knit. And sleep, too, as we have very clean air with sea breezes. The owner will show off her sheep and share her experiences as a woman farmer on her own.

WHERE: a three-storey log farmhouse on a sheep farm overlooking the Pacific Ocean on Salt Spring Island, British Columbia, Canada. This is the house I rent for the June retreats, too. There are single bedrooms, doubles, and a loft which sleeps up to four. Bathroom on each level. Extra beds at my house, ten minutes away, if we get crowded. Salt Spring Island is the biggest of the little islands between Vancouver Island(the big island) and the mainland - look at a map of Washington State, find Seattle, go straight north until you reach the San Juan Islands, then go across the international boundary, and we are right there, south of the 49th parallel. Easy access by ferry or float plane, we will meet you at any island dock.

WHEN: Sept 11th to 19th, 2005

WHY: to have fun, meet the people you chat with on-line, relax, recuperate from the summer, soak in the hottub starring at the moon, get help with that knitting you are stuck on, help others.

BUT: this is bare-bones, at cost, I`ll cook, but the rest of you have to do the clean-up and chores - yes, including the bathrooms. June retreats, you get pampered, we smile and do it for you, but this one I squawk. NOTE this is a strictly non-smoking house, if you smoke, you get to stand in the middle of the driveway for safety - dry season lasts until November here, and is VERY dry. Also, it is a working sheep farm, so there is a cat in the house, and sheep, donkeys, llamas, horses, a pig, and dogs outside. The owner`s dogs come inside in the winter.

COST: $40US/$50CDN per night to pay for rent and food. You get your own bed, meals, snacks,etc, outings (we carpool to get places, as some people drive). There are no formal classes, but lots of help with knitting.

We had a great time last year, so are repeating by unanimous consent. I just need to break even on costs, so the more who come, the better.

trueman@uniserve.com

Alice
Salt Spring Island
3/2/2005 10:29:37 AM
Happy Birthday Alice! Thank you all so much for all your kind thoughts. I`ve never had so many birthday wishes before! I could get quite a swelled head!

Thanks again,
Alice
Salt Spring Island
3/2/2005 10:29:37 AM
Happy Birthday Alice! Thank you all so much for all your kind thoughts. I`ve never had so many birthday wishes before! I could get quite a swelled head!

Thanks again,
Alice
Salt Spring Island
3/2/2005 10:52:48 AM
Has anyone tried to convert patterns ?? Hi Hildy
Almost all patterns can be adapted to knitting in the round. Sometimes, you just need to sit down with a cup of tea and think about what you are doing. Once you can visualize, you`ll see how to do it.

Some helps:

Top down raglans - Patons puts out little booklets called `Top-Downers`which are straight forward with sizes from about 2 to 52.

Elizabeth Zimmerman`s books have a number of suggestions, including her percentage system, carried on by her daughter, Meg Swansen (see her books, too)

Best of Lopi by XRX (Knitter`s) has very good yoke patterns in Lopi and Lopi-Lite

Most FairIsle sweaters are knitted in the round.

Tried and true for most patterns: Cast on the stitches for back and front, join, knit around and around until you reach the armhole. Divide stitches into front and back, by doing any underarm castoffs. Knit the front stitches back and forth on the circular needle following any shaping. Leave the back stitches on the needle cable whilst you are doing the front (do front first just in case you get a possible ridge from resting stitches. Short row the shoulders for 3-needle cast-off and put the stitches onto two stitch holders (one for each shoulder). Then knit up the back and join shoulders. Then pick up the stitches around the armhole and knit downwards, reversing the shaping - decrease where it says to increase. This has the great advantage of your being able to put on the garment to get just the right length for the sleeve. Sleeves can be knitted in the round on a 16inch circular, or on two circulars like socks.

When you are knitting a pattern, in the round, just remember that you are knitting all rows on the right side - right to left on the pattern. ie: If the pattern calls for `purl back on WS`, then knit that row.

Let me know if there is a specific pattern I can help you with.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
pages: First ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28... Last