Alice Trueman - all messages by user

1/16/2005 9:37:01 AM
Cables Have a look at Elsebeth Lavold`s VIKING PATTERNS FOR KNITTING in the "The New Technique: How to Do It" section on pp 112-114 in the 2000 edition. Try the library.

Cables eat up a lot of yarn.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
1/16/2005 4:14:00 PM
gauge Carrie
I tend to get a little looser as I knit, so I would lean towards the smaller needles. Also, if you are knitting in the round, do you tighten-up or loosen a bit?
Or try this, knit the glove for the non-dominant hand first - for most people that`s the left one - and see how it fits. If it`s `just right`, you may want to knit the right one on the larger needles. If it`s an easy fit, knit the right one on the same size.

Only other thing I can suggest at the moment is to try a different brand of needles - this sometimes makes quite a different - both the size of the needles and the way you knit with them.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
gauge Carrie
I tend to get a little looser as I knit, so I would lean towards the smaller needles. Also, if you are knitting in the round, do you tighten-up or loosen a bit?
Or try this, knit the glove for the non-dominant hand first - for most people that`s the left one - and see how it fits. If it`s `just right`, you may want to knit the right one on the larger needles. If it`s an easy fit, knit the right one on the same size.

Only other thing I can suggest at the moment is to try a different brand of needles - this sometimes makes quite a different - both the size of the needles and the way you knit with them.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
gauge Carrie

Alice
Salt Spring Island
gauge Carrie

Alice
Salt Spring Island
1/19/2005 10:32:53 AM
PatWw and others: Maryland Wool Festival Still vacancies for the June retreats. Later one is filling up fast. Singles and doubles are available for the earlier one, but not the loft. There`s space available at my house for either, as I`m not expecting DS or DD home at that time. [Routine at my house is early morning coffee here, jump in the car for ten minutes up to the farm for hot breakfast, and then come back when you are ready to fall into bed. You get your own bathroom at my house.]

e-mail me for a flyer

trueman@uniserve.com

Ask any questions!
Alice
Salt Spring Island
1/19/2005 10:41:48 AM
PatWw and others: Maryland Wool Festival Still vacancies for the June retreats. Later one is filling up fast. Singles and doubles are available for the earlier one, but not the loft. There`s space available at my house for either, as I`m not expecting DS or DD home at that time. [Routine at my house is early morning coffee here, jump in the car for ten minutes up to the farm for hot breakfast, and then come back when you are ready to fall into bed. You get your own bathroom at my house.]

e-mail me for a flyer

trueman@uniserve.com

Ask any questions!
Alice
Salt Spring Island
1/23/2005 10:33:18 AM
Maddy Laine, Catch a Knitted Star pattern question Hi Christine

I don`t have the pattern, but from the picture, this is what I surmise for the main part of the body above the star pattern: 1 edge stitch, 2 stitches in stocking stitch, 2 stitches in garter stitch, 17 stitches in pattern, 2 stitches in garter stitch, 4 stitches in stocking stitch, 2 stitches in garter stitch, 17 stitches in pattern, 2 stitches in garter stitch, 4 stitches in stocking stitch, 2 stitches in garter stitch, 17 stitches in pattern, 2 stitches in garter stitch, 2 stitches in stocking stitch, 1 edge stitch = 77 stitches

It`s going to work out to one selvedge stitch on each side plus half of the stocking stitch section on each side. The other 2 stocking stitches will come from the front. If you are knitting in the round, eliminate the selvedge stitches.

The intent is make the pattern continuous. If you need to change the size, add or subtract in the stocking stitches. My count may be off because I`m counting stitches on on computer screen, but you`ll see how the pattern is balanced and centered.

Hope this helps
Alice
Salt Spring Island
1/23/2005 10:41:18 AM
Pat - Using Leftover Yarn For the absolute ultimate, have a look at Sally Melville`s "Styles". In this book she gives patterns for using up bits as short as 4 yards. Look at the Whistler Vest. It`ll be colourful, and just think how virtuous you`ll feel. If you use one background colour and multi-everything-else, it tones the garment down a bit. Yarn does not all have to be the same weight. As long as you mix up the weights, you can get away with combining sport, DK, worsted, and aran - just don`t put 2 sport or 2 aran together.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
1/26/2005 8:04:41 AM
Role Call-The ultimate knitting project that would make me an expert Be brave! Fair isle in the round, especially using the two handed method, is not difficult! All you are doing is making knit stitches with either the colour in your left hand or the colour in your right hand.
The left colour stitches are knitted continental and the right are English (if you are doinant right-handed). With the Philosopher`s wool method, each colour is woven along every second stitch - no long floats, or bunched up bits which can come from stranding.

Using three colours is a bit trickier, but 99% of the time with traditional patterns you only use two colours at a time. There may be 30 different colours, but if you really look at the chart, you`ll find only 2 per row.

Knitting back and forth with the 2-handed method is harder for the purl rows, but possible.

A lace pattern with a 56 stitch, 32 row repeat, with the YOs at a distance from the SSKs or purl 5tog bits,and different stitch counts from row to row,is way harder for me.

At last year`s retreat, people who thought they could NEVER knit much in fair isle were working away on tams in the round on the second or third day. Everyone finished at least one tam, and e-mailed me the picture as proof.

This year is cables and celtic knots. Still some space available.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
1/28/2005 8:33:53 AM
Seek and Ye Shall Find Wonderful! This new job will be so much better for you.
Now grit your teeth, and kill them with kindness and good cheer at your old job for the last week. Then everyone left behind with remember you as just great and blame everything that goes wrong onto the finky manager, just where it belongs.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
1/31/2005 10:25:58 AM
Question about three-needle bind off Either works just fine, but knitting together both shoulders before the neck edging does provide some stability. Three-needle bind-off results in very smooth shoulders. If the shoulder slopes, knit short rows for the slope, and then knit straight across, knitting in the wraps, before you 3-needle bind-off.

Other possibilities:
1)use a set of double points and knit in the round
2)3-needle bind-off and then pick up just the back stitches and knit the neck, then pick up the front stitches and do the same - finish with two neat little seams in line with the shoulder seams.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
2/4/2005 9:59:57 AM
LYS Hi!
The LYS here on Salt Spring is actually a very good quilt store which has branched out into yarns, too. To begin with, I nudged and nudged, and the owners decided to try stocking some sock yarn. From that modest beginning, the yarn selection has quietly expanded until it now occupies more than 25% of the retail space. All sorts of unusual yarns as well as the original varigated sock. One of the staff makes up kits, too, for scarves, bags, etc. which are great for little projects for visitors.
These great women provide the classroom for our knitting group to meet twice a month - and include us in their newsletter along with their classes. So, I try to buy something each month, and look at the new stock to tell the knitters about what`s there for them to contemplate. I certainly don`t buy from them the way I do from elann, but I want the yarn section to flourish. They also sell locally spun yarn, too, which helps the local cottage industry.
We just need to knit more to keep everyone happy!

Alice
Salt Spring Island
2/5/2005 9:59:15 AM
Roll call! What`s on the needles? All of you make me feel much better! I have these little, or not so little, heaps sitting around me. Here are the immediate ones:

Ferry socks - some sock-it-to-me purple/blue/charcoal stripes
Mindless knitting - 1)it is a gansey for me in HW claret, except I reached the divide for front and back, and it stopped being mindless as I had to knit the pattern for the yoke. Back is done, with a few tiny mistakes as I was knitting in the car to and from the Qualicum Conference last week. Front yoke to do and then it`s mindless knitting again for the sleeves
2)so I had to start a t-shirt, side-to-side in cotton, assorted, while I read through my notes - about 16 inches worth, at the moment, on 4x6 cards

pay-attention- cabled cardigan in the bagged Peruvian wool. It`s the Classic Elite pattern that Ann wore when she came over to Salt Spring last September. Back`s done, but I need to watch some loooong movies to get a good start on the fronts. Want it finished as a sample for the June retreats. It`s fun to knit and really looks good -maybe if I put it on an Addi instead of birch circular it would go faster. I would really like to have it finished for Scotland at the end of April - Dani (DD) and I are going to scout out country houses/castles for a retreat in May 2006.

Then we won`t mention the not-quite-finished shawl, or the fair isle cardigan, will we?

Alice
Salt Spring Island
2/6/2005 10:02:20 AM
Charts vs written instructions Elann sells a computer programme called Motif Maker. It`s not inexpensive, but very useful.
It lets you work on up to an 80 stitch repeat, which should get you across even very complicated designs.
For pattern stitches, there are all sorts of neat symbols you can use. You then put in your patterns beside each other, so you just need to read across one row on one chart. The patterns I`m using for the yoke of the gansey I`m knitting, all fit evenly into a 40 row repeat. So I printed it out, and just work up, ticking off rows as I complete them, and when I get to 40, I start at Row 1 again.
Also, the programme does charts for colour work, fair isle, mosaic, intarsia, etc. which is why I bought it. I was going crazy last year trying to do the charts for the retreat, so I ordered it. It`ll do great charts for this year`s cables and knots, too.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
2/8/2005 8:42:25 AM
Admiration for Aran knitters Hi Carrie
Come to the retreat this June, and you`ll learn to do cables, knots, crossovers, fearlessly and independently, maybe not walking around, but at least sitting around with other knitters. If you would like more info, e-mail me at trueman@uniserve.com.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
2/9/2005 9:42:51 PM
Thank You, Christina Thank you so very much, Christina, for the box of yarn for Dorcas. You people have been so generous that I have not had to buy any this winter for the knitters - except of course I will with that gift certificate!

I gained three new knitters this week - two live on Pender Island, and I`m told that the younger one is 93, and her friend is only a little bit older, they are going to specialize in toques. The third one just turned up at knitting group for the first time and didn`t have anything to knit. She`s only here for the winter, but that should be good for two or three sweaters!

Thanks again,Christina

Alice
Salt Spring Island
2/14/2005 10:28:06 PM
Need some yarn advice :-) Bernat Handicrafter Cotton 4-Ply Worsted in the 400g (14oz) ball in a plastic bag sold by Walmart wears like iron and keeps its colour well for summer purses. It`s really inexpensive - about $8CDN for the 400 grams. If you choose a varigated, it doesn`t show the dirt! you can sit on it at a t-ball game, put your feet on it, nothing destroys it. The stuff in the big ball seems to be sturdier than the Bernat other stores sell in the 50g balls. You do need to line a bag, though. I`ve used one for several years with a bright turquoise rip-stop nylon lining. Sew the lining firmly to the inside with cotton thread, not yarn.
Sonata costs more, but is really good to work with - look dressier than the handicrafter, so think if you want casual or dressy.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
2/16/2005 8:56:03 AM
Jo Sharp Celeste Sweater question Hi Denise
I don`t have the pattern in front of me to see if there is a picture, but if there is not a noticeable change, keep working in garter stitch.
What you are doing is shaping the armhole - on British-made sweaters this used to be called `fashioning` - so that the sleeve is inset.
After you knit ROW 1,
ROWS 2, 3, 4 knit in garter stitch with no shaping (just knit)
Then you are back to ROW 1 again
ROW 1 (RS) Knit 2, Knit 3 together, Knit until 5 stitches remain, Knit 3 together through back of loops, Knit 2.
Then do Rows 2,3,4.
In total, you are doing the decrease row 4 times. You always keep the same *knit 2* stitches on each side between the decrease and the edge.
You will have 16 fewer stitches after you have finished the decreases.
Work 11 rows (to the neck shaping)

Try this, and if it still looks strange post again. I`ll check tonight as I`m about to leap forth for the ferry now.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
2/16/2005 8:33:00 PM
Anyone want Uros - Arizona Clay? UROS is 50% llama and 50% Highland Wool.
19stitches/24rows = 4 inches on 4.5mm needles.

Not as soft as alpaca, but very pleasant to knit.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
pages: First ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27... Last