Alice Trueman - all messages by user

1/4/2005 10:40:17 PM
Knitting Retreats on Salt Spring Island, BC, Canada I let the word out in a few New Year`s messages, and Jean has already heard it via the Southern Hemisphere, and bookings have started coming in.So time to tell you all.

This year`s all-inclusive retreat will be given twice -June 14-21 and June 26-July 3 on the theme Knitting with Twists of Cables and Celtic Knots.
I have a chef and slave labour from DH for the all-inclusive ones - you don`t have to do any chores. There are formal classes, so you really have to work! Then you get to go on outings. All costs are covered once you arrive on Salt Spring.
E-mail me at trueman@uniserve.com if you are interested.

We`ll have the get to-gether for companionable knitting in September again, but for that one you really do have to do the dishes and housework, and no classes. Maybe we can persuade Ann and her family to come again.

Come to both! Naomi did last year and knitted up a storm.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
1/5/2005 1:23:02 PM
Frustrated If you were granted maternity leave for a certain length of time, and you have the dr`s note to return, then the company should be paying you full salary AND full benefits, even if they are overstaffed. They did not discover that they didn`t need you until the night before you were to return. If there`s been a slump in business, and they need to let someone go, are you the most junior in your job category? Even if you are, there should be big time severance pay, and a letter explaining why you needed to be released.
Check your state employment laws on the web. Employers can not legally act as they please, any more. Labour Law has made some progress since Dickens` time.
I was part of a very nasty time this past summer, when the rest of the board of a non-profit organization, of which I was the volunteer thrift store director, felt that the paid store staff had no rights. Although the opinion of the government labour relations lawyer, who was consulted, was that I had saved the board from an expensive lawsuit (6 figures), by acting correctly, I`m the villain to the rest of the board for not treating the employees as peons. Some people just don`t get it.
You have to stand up for yourself. Get advice on what you should say, your local employment centre should have people you can talk to. Your local congressman`s office should be able to give you some leads. Don`t get sucked in by the `motherhood guilt trip`, unfortunately, certain men still believe that this is acceptable.
Keep careful track of your day care expenses and don`t lose that space.

Start a really fun knitting project to cheer you up.
Don`t give up.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
1/7/2005 9:54:01 AM
Sock it to me for sweater As a guide, a stocking stitch sweater finished at 44inches in a set-in sleeve or a seamless yoke style should take 2170 yards, a 40 inch comes in at 1880 yards [from Ann Budd`s The Knitter`s Handy Book of Sweater Patterns]. For a fair isle yoke, you could take off, maybe a ball for the main colour, and then add the colours. If your main colour is always the background colour for the pattern, to be safe, do not subtract any - even though you are not knitting all the stitches with the main colour, you are carrying it along behind.

Remember, you can always knit striped socks with the leftovers. I knitted DH a pair using some of the bright red Regia elann had in 2002 [used it for practice at the knitting retreat that year], for the top ribbing, heels, 2/3 of the foot and toes and some red jacquard leftover from a pair of mine. Last night he asked if he could have another pair, as they are his favourites - all leftovers.
Just think, fair isle sweaters with matching socks!

Alice
Salt Spring Island
1/9/2005 9:52:49 AM
Cardi edge suggestions needed Cate
I think that this cardi needs a much better defined edge. Seed stitch would be fine, or try one of these:

1. pick up and garter stitch.
2. pick up and knit two patterns of the reverse side on the right side.
3. pick up and knit several (maybe even as many as 6-8, try on a swatch) rows of stocking stitch and have it roll back on itself on the right side
4. do pick-up I-cord all around the edge - two cords if you want more substance.
5. knit one continuous, non-wobbly cable around the edge.
6. crochet a single-crochet, backwards or forwards edge.

Check the length, too, as the samples in the photo look very short except for the child`s. A heavy cardigan which leaves a strip of your back open to the weather is no fun to wear.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
1/11/2005 9:30:04 AM
Opinions, please? If you are using two strands of yarn, anyway, how about using two different colours. Try swatching the Red Maple and the Lagoon together, then try other combinations. For wearing with bluejeans think about the Tapestry Blue or Indigo with the Red Maple. Black could be very effective, too, with either. Try to work in one colour that goes with a lot of your casual clothes.
My all-time best bluejeans sweater, that I knit forty years ago, to look quasi-respectable when I was working in the Rockies, was fourplys of thin yarn knitted together - two indigos, light and medium, and two greens, a forest and a lighter one - all from the old Yarn Barn in Calgary @ 25 cents an ounce, thus fitting my student budget. That sweater rode the trail, climbed mountains, went fishing, and wore like iron. It went with everything and looked clean! I noticed last fall that DD is still wearing it.

You`ll be amazed at how alive different colours become when used together.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
1/11/2005 3:56:49 PM
sock question for alice It doesn`t make any difference. I just found it easier to teach people who had never knit socks before to knit one half, and then its mirror image. I had one person frog a perfectly acceptable turned heel, because when she knit on at home the `funny pouch` looked like a mistake to her. The only other advantage to the profile is that you have the same number of stitches on each needle, so that you can easily see the difference if you have forgotten to decrease (and the teacher can count quickly). It`s important to keep the K2Tog and the SSK in the right places, that`s what shows.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
1/12/2005 10:30:00 PM
Knit Skirts A straight skirt knitted in the round goes very quickly. Darts in the top 6 to 8 inches, front and back, will give a smooth fit. See the directions I posted before. Use good quality, fairly heavy, anti-static lining. Think about knitting a matching top or jacket.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
1/13/2005 8:57:53 AM
Can I redo the cast-on? If it still curls after you have blocked it, try this. Run a contrasting thread - maybe fine cotton yarn - through a plain row (no YOs) above the cast-on to secure all the stitches, then cut (yes, cut) a stitch at the very bottom, and pull out up to the row on the thread. Put the stitches on a needle, finish the pattern in reverse, and cast-off very loosely.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
1/14/2005 10:24:36 AM
Question For Ann If you knit a fair isle in HW, it would go quite quickly. I`m working on one, off and on, in the Harris Tweed that elann had a while ago. 6 stitches to an inch goes much, much faster than 8 stitches. AND it looks more custom made - the very fine yarn fair isle, knitted by an expert, could be confused with machine knitting.
I`m going to address the payment for knitting post in a separate message.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
Question for Ann If you knit a fair isle in HW, it would go quite quickly. I`m working on one, off and on, in the Harris Tweed that elann had a while ago. 6 stitches to an inch goes much, much faster than 8 stitches. AND it looks more custom made - the very fine yarn fair isle, knitted by an expert, could be confused with machine knitting.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
Question for Ann If you knit a fair isle in HW, it would go quite quickly. I`m working on one, off and on, in the Harris Tweed that elann had a while ago. 6 stitches to an inch goes much, much faster than 8 stitches. AND it looks more custom made - the very fine yarn fair isle, knitted by an expert, could be confused with machine knitting.

Alice
Salt Spring Island

Alice
Salt Spring Island

Alice
Salt Spring Island

Alice
Salt Spring Island

Alice
Salt Spring Island

Alice
Salt Spring Island

Alice
Salt Spring Island

Alice
Salt Spring Island
1/14/2005 10:48:02 AM
Canadian Yarn websites Ram Wools in Winnipeg is a big one with a catalogue.

http://www.ramwools.com/

Treenways here on Salt Spring, doesn`t sell Brown Sheep, but has silk to die for, which they will dye in any of 100 shades for you. They also stock some Australian merino. Will ship anywhere in the world.

http://www.treenwaysilks.com/

The Beehive in Victoria has been around for about 100 years (literally). Very wide selection of stock, good pattern support, tools and will ship anywhere. They a a little bit purist about tools - they won`t stock those plastic yarn needles for sewing up. I like them because they are short and flexible, sure I break a few, but I just accept that. (I also hand sew with quilting shorts because they are short and flexible.) I`d buy them by the dozen and give them out at retreats if elann would stock them by the boxful - hint, hint, Ann, although 2 for $0.92 is a bargain.

http://www.beehivewool.com/

Alice
Salt Spring Island
1/14/2005 11:12:29 AM
Payment for Knitting I`ve posted this before, but reminders from time to time are all for the good of the cause.
If you are knitting for the joy of it, give it away, free, there are many worthy charities. Don`t give it to some bazzar where people don`t understand its worth and sell it for 5 cents on the dollar.

If you are custom knitting for money, I`ve been advocating the following for several years:

price of the yarn, PLUS $0.10CDN or $0.08US PER YARD for knitting it up in a fairly plain pattern with simple finishing.
More for fancy colourwork or cables etc., or nasty yarn.
Add on $25-$50 dollars for fancy finishing/ extensive blocking.

To give an example of how this works:
Icelanic sweater with colourwork yoke, yarn from elann
Yarn - $150 (don`t forget shipping cost)
Knitting - 1500 yards at $0.10 = $150
Complicated colourwork - $0
Extra finishing - $0
Total for sweater - $300

Still good value for the customer, but also a reasonable amount for your time.
Do NOT EVER charge as a percentage of the cost of the yarn, you should be paid much more, not less, to knit a nasty synthetic, than for alpaca or HW.

Knitters MUST value their skill and time, so that others will appreciate their work.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
pages: First ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26... Last