Alice Trueman - all messages by user

12/22/2004 9:29:49 AM
Casting on so that the starting point... How different does your cast-on look from the front and back sides? Look carefully, there may be very little difference, especially if it is followed by an edging of some sort. If so, start with a wrong side row rather than a right side after the cast-on, and knit away. Sally Melville`s crochet cast-on [Einstein coat] is just the same - you have to choose a `right side` and mark it, very useful.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
12/22/2004 9:57:12 AM
All you sockmakers, check out the sneak peeks! Instead of using four or five little needles with two points per needle (total of 8 or 10 ends to worry about), try using two 24 inch circular needles in the same size - only four points to drop stitches from and long cables to hold the stitches safely. Name one needle Annabel and the other one Beatrice, put half the total number of stitches on Annabel and the other half on Beatrice. Knit Annabel`s stitches with the other end of Annabel, push them onto the cable, turn so that Beatrice is facing you, and knit Beatrice`s stitches with the other end of Beatrice. Then go back to Annabel and repeat. When you reach the heel flap, just work on Annabel and let Beatrice have a snooze until you get to the gusset part. Annabel knits the part of your sock that goes under the foot, and Beatrice the part on top.
This is much quicker than all those little needles, less worrisome, and much safer. I knit socks on the ferries, and if I suddenly have to move, I can push the stitches onto the cable, drop the sock onto my lap, or onto the seat beside me, and away I go. I just knit with my seat belt on, quite patiently, while that women, with three children, a dog, and seventeen packages, who does not even start to get assembled before the boat docks, tries to get everyone off - I always cheer for the dog, he`s the best organized, or when an`island car` gets to the off-loading ramp at an angle, and then stalls. I just knit on.
Let me know if you want me to e-mail you a long explanation of sock-life with Annabel and Beatrice.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
12/23/2004 9:15:37 AM
Merry Christmas to Everyone All the very best for the holidays to all of you. Whatever happens, if it is not immediately life-threatening, finish the row before you react!

Make it a New Year`s resolution to make it to Salt Spring Island for an elann get-together next September. The more the merrier.

All the best
Alice
Salt Spring Island
Merry Christmas to Everyone All the very best for the holidays to all of you. Whatever happens, if it is not immediately life-threatening, finish the row before you react!

Make it a New Year`s resolution to make it to Salt Spring Island for an elann get-together next September. The more the merrier.

All the best
Alice
Salt Spring Island
Merry Christmas to everyone All the very best for the holidays to all of you. Whatever happens, if it is not immediately life-threatening, finish the row before you react!

All the best
Alice
Salt Spring Island
12/26/2004 2:14:19 PM
technical knitting question 10 + 2 means that a repeat of the pattern uses 10 stitches, the + 2 are end stitches, or occasionally centre stitches. an example would be : K1 *(p2, K2tog,Yo, K2, YO, SSK,P2)*, repeat * to * 4 more times, K1.

The 10 stitch sequence in brackets is knitted a total of 5 times, but the K1 on each end is knitted only once for the +2. Total is 52 stitches.

If the instructions said : Cast on 102 stitches - that would mean K1, knit 10 full repeats (100 stitches), K1. The size can be changed by adding full repeats of 10 stitches each, or by adding more knit stitches before the repeats start and after the last repeat.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
12/27/2004 8:55:13 AM
knitting questin on making a heart Hi Pupabella
Try knitting the following: 9 stitches cast on:

Row 1: K1, YO, K3, Knit 3 into stitch 5 [knit into the front of the stitch, and without taking the stitch off the left needle, knit into the back of the stitch, and then into the front again, slip offleft needle - 3 stitches made in one], K3, YO, K1.
The middle stitch of knit 3 into stitch 5 will become your new centre stitch.

Row 2: K1, YO, K5, K3 in centre stitch, K5, YO, K1

Row 3: K1, Yo, K7, K3 in centre stitch, K7, YO, K1

The number of knit stitches between the [K1, YO] and the centre stitch increases by two on each row because you are gaining a knit stitch from the YO in the previous row, and another knit stitch into the first of the three stitches knitted into the centre stitch in the previous row. Same applies between the centre stitch and [YO, K1]

Write back if you are still having difficulty.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
1/1/2005 10:12:00 AM
possum yarn Hi Cheryl

Do you think that Toni could get possum in at Mad About Ewe? She`ll ship anywhere, not just Canada. Would you ask her when you are there next week? I just know that you are going to the sale, and most probably on the first day. :) :) :)

Alice
Salt Spring Island
Possum Yarn Hi Cheryl

Do you think that Toni could get possum in at Mad About Ewe? She`ll ship anywhere, not just Canada. Would you ask her when you are there next week? I just know that you are going to the sale, and most probably on the first day. :) :) :)

Alice
Salt Spring Island
possum yarn Hi Cheryl

Alice
Salt Spring Island
1/1/2005 10:30:33 AM
BC vs. Sock It To Me Sock It To Me is comforting to the feet and wears well. Start knitting socks now! Everyone will covet a pair by next Christmas.
Hint: If you are knitting for mid-sized feet (not size 13 shoes), you will have part of each ball left over, but despair not. Order some of the plain colours Tuesday week to match the patterned yarn leftovers - knit the ribbing and about another inch in the plain, switch to the patterned yarn until you get to the heel, knit the heel plain, then continue with the patterned until it runs out, finish in plain. These will become favourites. DH has a pair with bright red plain, which he thinks are just wonderful, and insists that the wilder the better. This is from a man who only wore dark blue, beige, or grey socks with grey flannel pants before he retired.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
1/2/2005 10:20:43 AM
Mens Vintage clothing APB Try the big thrift shops. When I did costuming for a community theatre in Ontario, Sally Ann and Goodwill were wonderful sources for `period pieces` - ask about Halloween costumes if you don`t see anything on the racks. There may be things tucked away.
Also, if you have an active community theatre, it may rent costumes - probably about $5.00 for an outfit for a week/month/as long as you need it. I used to rent anything from tuxedos, bridal gowns, 60`s uglies, peasant outfits, to knitted chain mail - tidy little extra income for the theatre.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
1/2/2005 10:26:48 AM
BC vs. Sock It To Me Hi Joan
For fancy scarves, look at the Cliche that went up last week and is coming again on Monday. Baby Cashmere is another thought. Or, you could make matching socks and scarves!

Alice
Salt Spring Island
1/3/2005 9:09:16 AM
Small World, Alice Hi Jean
This year will be June 14-21, 2005 and June 26-July 3, 2005 on Salt Spring for the all-inclusive retreats with lessons, chef, maid(?) service, and I`m planning to do the September one again for elanners plus friends, no-frills, at cost, pitch-in and do the chores. These will all be at the farm I rent on Salt Spring. I`m hoping to host one in Scotland in May 2006, but it`s a VERY small world if she knows someone who came in June or Sept`04 when we talked about the possibility. Hey, if you are moving back to the US in June `6, you`ll want to leave home for the first two weeks in May! When we had a government move to Toronto, we returned home from camping in Maine the night before the movers arrived, the only way to do it and keep sane!

Alice
Salt Spring Island
1/3/2005 9:21:36 AM
Do 2 worsteds make a bulky? Here`s the trick I learned from ACB years ago: multiply the gauge of one strand by .72 to get the new gauge for two strands.

If you are getting 19st = 4 inches with the HW then
19 x .72 = 13.68 st

if 20 st = 4 inches then
20 x .72 = 14.4 st

You should be able to zero in on 14 st = 4 inches easily, by adjusting needle size or even type of needle.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
1/3/2005 10:00:56 AM
I`m back, and dying to tell you about this "WOW!" Patricia

About the missing suitcase - try phoning lost luggage at his destination on his LAST trip. If the case was invisibly coded, that destination may have shown up on a scanner, and it was sent there. I`ve had a suitcase go to London whilst I went to Frankfurt, they held it safely for three months, until I talked an `airport official` into sending out a search bulletin.
Les, as to Air Canada, I am a total disaster with them, the final last straw was when returning from Rome with students on a March Break trip. We were all but 8 seats on an Air Canada flight from Montreal to Toronto. We were 20 minutes late crossing the Atlantic, our pilot radioed through 3 times. The whole of Dorval Airport knew about us, customs waved us through, I quick-timed those kids to the Air Canada check-in. The plane had left 20 minutes earlier with 8 freebies (employees` dependants). The airline offered buses. We had an injured kid from my school and one from another school who was throwing up all over the place. Although we had a string of 92 tickets, Air Canada insisted that we pay for 4 non-group tickets to fly the kids and two adults to Toronto. That done, they sent them to the wrong gate, so, in twenty minutes they were back again. The check-in guy refused to return the Visa slip, so I climbed up onto the counter, grabbed it, and tore it into little pieces in front of him. At 6:30 am next morning, we rolled into my school on three Murray Hill buses. I have not flown with Air Canada since, and that was March 1975. DS, DD complain periodically that they have flown with me, and my knitting, on every `Cheap and Cheerful` airline that can get off the ground, but we have always arrived, on a plane.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
1/3/2005 10:27:42 AM
graph interpretation? Hi
Is it the Micro Big Shine Pullover Pattern? Let me know, and I`ll write it out in words for you, if you need that.
I printed the pattern, and the graph and schematics came out on pages 4 and 5, but they did print.

Only the right-side rows are shown, knit the wrong-side rows as the stitches lie [purl the purls, knit the knits as they are facing you]. The dashed line across is after row 16, the height of the repeat.
The cables show the number of stitches being moved in each direction.
The triangles on bottom right are k2tog and on the bottom left are ssk - decreases showing the slant in the symbols.
o is yarn over.

Let me know if you need more.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
1/4/2005 10:13:30 PM
Sock Pattern Gerlinde
If you send me your e-mail addi at trueman@uniserve.com
I`ll zap you a simple, comfortable, no-fail sock pattern knitted on two circular needles - Meet Annabel and Beatrice! for those who have this pattern. It`s written out in words of one syllable for beginning sock knitters, so it`s a bit long to post here. Anyone who would like it, just let me know. No copyright problems as I wrote it. Just the pattern for all the sock yarn coming up. I`ve knitted literally dozens of pairs.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
1/4/2005 10:13:30 PM
sock pattern Gerlinde
If you send me your e-mail addi at trueman@uniserve.com
I`ll zap you a simple, comfortable, no-fail sock pattern knitted on two circular needles - Meet Annabel and Beatrice! for those who have this pattern. It`s written out in words of one syllable for beginning sock knitters, so it`s a bit long to post here. Anyone who would like it, just let me know. No copyright problems as I wrote it. Just the pattern for all the sock yarn coming up. I`ve knitted literally dozens of pairs.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
1/4/2005 10:21:15 PM
Sock it to me for sweater It should be great. I wash socks knitted in it in the washing machine and then toss them into the dryer - nothing goes wrong.

You`ve just given me a good idea - DS wants a LIGHT sweater to wear at work, in an over-heated office, to look a bit dressy, and this may just be the answer.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25... Last