Alice Trueman - all messages by user

12/1/2004 9:11:33 AM
Sneak Peak Ann knows what is in the newsletter which should arrive on Thursday! She`s just making us wait, then she`ll post even more teasers. The Storm is coming!

The Cuzco knits up really quickly. Poncho pieces are knitted and big piece of the shawl done. I`ve casually inquired if anyone is coming home for the weekend soon, answer is negative, so I will be able to use their beds for blocking!

Alice
Salt Spring Island
12/2/2004 9:44:47 AM
Changing from English to Continental Hi Cate
I learned to knit Continental from a Norwegian friend when I was 21 after having knit English since way before I started school. So I knit and purl the way Aase does, and probably her mother, grandmother, great-grandmother. This is not book-learning, just folk tradition. It is not nearly as complicated as those pictures in books. People say that I knit very fast.

Your tension is too tight or just wonky probably because you are wrapping the yarn around too many fingers. I`ll try to walk you through what I do:

Hold the left needle against your left index finger, with the stitch to be knitted at the upper-edge of this finger. Place your left thumb just below (to the left of) this stitch. Apply enough pressure with your thumb to hold the needle steady - but not the amount you would use to stop an artery from bleeding - and use this thumb to move along the stitches. Arrange the yarn over the top of your index finger, under the next two fingers, and over your baby finger. Tension is produced by pressing your fingers together against the yarn - again, no death grip, but about the pressure you would have if you were sitting with your hands folded together piously.
Right needle - I place my right index finger on top of the right point, so that it can assist if necessary, and my right thumb three to four stitches past the stitch in progress. Then this needle goes into the front of the stitch from left to right, goes anti-clockwise around the yarn, and pulls a loop through the stitch. As I pull the loop through, the old stitch flips off the needle and the new one is on the right hand needle. The yarn just slides along as you need it.

Knitting two-handed fair-isle - if you use the Philosopher`s Wool technique of never carrying a yarn over more than one stitch without anchoring it (no long floats), then your knitting will not pull together the way fair-isle sometimes does if you are not very careful. Plain and patterned bits will be just about the same tension, with even stitches. Also, the yarns never get tangled up - just sit with one ball on each side of you.

I`ve knitted a row across DD`s red poncho whilst explaining this. Had to keep looking at what I was actually doing.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
12/2/2004 9:51:00 AM
Stash Reduction Wonderful!
Thanks so much.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
12/3/2004 8:51:57 AM
Have you checked the sneak peeks lately? The Gjestal is a Norwegian version of Icelandic Lopi. Same gauge, slightly more yardage, and less itchy. Knits up very evenly and very quickly. Virtually no pilling! I wore my Einstein coat all last winter and so far this one, no fuzzy bits and no sagging. It`s just the same shape as when I knitted it - and it`s all garter stitch.

Go for it!
Alice
Salt Spring Island
12/6/2004 9:21:10 AM
Many Thanks - Gerlinde! A wonderful box of yarn has just arrived. Many, many thanks. No problems at all - it arrived at our little local store at Vesuvius Bay (picture bright yellow with blue trim circa 1890) with papers unopened. Well done!!!
Thanks
Alice
Salt Spring Island
12/6/2004 9:23:08 AM
To Alice-Yarnbox It`s just arrived. Many thanks. Wonderful contents, bright colours, just what we need.

Many, many thanks.
Alice
Salt Spring Island
12/7/2004 9:25:57 AM
Many Thanks - Gerlinde! Yes, I think cotton would be useful, too. Some babies, especially, thrive better in cotton. Bright colours are fine, they look really good on native babies, whereas pale yellow, insipid green, etc do not look so great.

Thanks again.
Alice
Salt Spring Island
12/8/2004 9:58:11 AM
St. Seraphina Knits P25 - Aztec Lace Poncho St. Seraphina Knits P25 - Aztec Lace Poncho, posted on What`s New has some errors in the stitch counts and numbers of repeats. I read through the pattern last night, and the arithmetic just doesn`t add up the way it`s written. You can`t just lose 22 stitches, or gain extras where they don`t belong.
I`ll work it through and post the corrections. The poncho, itself, is well worth consideration.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
12/11/2004 12:25:33 PM
Alice and/or Theresa... NEED YOUR HELP! Hi!
It makes no sense the way it`s written - I think it lost something in the translation. You need purl stitches to make it ribby, otherwise you end up with a mess of mis-shapen garter stitch.
Here`s my go on it:
Cast on 16 stitches.
Row 1: Knit

Row 2: K1 *knit into stitch below, purl 1* until one stitch remains, knit 1. Then cast on 4 stitches.

Row 3: Knit the 4 cast-on stitches, *purl 1, knit into the stitch below* until 2 stitches remain, p1, k1.

Row 4: Repeat Row 2, making sure that the ribbing matches up in the first `cast on 4` stitches.

Row 5: Repeat row 3.

Row 6: K1, *knit into the stitch below, purl 1* until 1 stitch remains, k1. Then cast on 16 stitches.

Row 7: Knit across the 16 stitches, then continue in establishes rib.

Row 8: K1 *knit into the stitch below, p1*, until the last stitch, k1.

The rib pattern needs to work to work as established, with no funny jogs - so check that it`s correct after each set of cast-on stitches is added. There should be a knit 1 at each side to make an edge.
When you have reached the rquired length, cast off 16 stitches ON THE SAME SIDE as you cast them on, and then 4 stitches two rows later, and 4 more stitches two rows after that. Knit a row and then cast-off.

I have only knitted a couple of rows past the `cast on 16`, but the ribbing looks like the picture. This is going to be VERY warm, suitable for arctic climates.

Write back if you have trouble.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
12/13/2004 10:01:53 AM
Stitches that need clarification Hi Carrie

The "double yo" requires you to k1, p1 into it on the next row. If the next row is mainly purl, then p1 k1.

The "yo cross" is puzzling - can you post the whole line of instructions. I looked in books and tried searching Knitting Universe (Knitter`s website) but nothing came up.
A possibility is "yarn over between purls" - which asks you to bring the yarn forward, over the needle, and back to the front again, before going on to the next purl stitch.

Do post more.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
12/13/2004 10:16:07 AM
Has anyone made the Ombretta pullover? Yes, if you knit it exactly as it is written, it works out. I just knitted up the 22 rows of the chart, plus one more on 15 stitches, but it comes out as two sizes of bobbles/waffles, depending on how many rows of reverse stocking stitch are between the increase, decrease rows. Between the bumpy parts is plain stocking stitch, the bumps are reverse stst.

If purl 3tog and purl 5tog give you trouble try this:
with yarn on the wrongside, slip 2 stitches (or 4 stitches) purlwise to right needle, purl the next stitch, then pass the 2 (4) stitches over the one you have just purled, snug yarn uptight. If you keep the yarn on the rightside, you get a slightly different look, just be CONSISTENT.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
12/13/2004 10:24:32 AM
Peruvian Collection Cuzco yarn I`ve knitted the poncho and the wrap from the free patterns. Yes, it does come off a bit in the knitting of it. Solved that problem by wearing black t-shirt and black pants with the black yarn. It is not itchy at all. As to allergies, being near angora (within a metre) gives me trouble breathing, knitting angora is beyond consideration - can`t breathe, break out in a nasty, itchy rash, etc. The Cuzco gave me no trouble at all. My black cat just loved it, and thought that I should give her a ball for her own.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
12/14/2004 10:08:17 AM
Stitches that need clarification I`ve printed out the pattern from Knitting Universe. These gloves are the companions to the Wedding Day Lace Purse in Bags a Knitter`s Dozen. The book gives more info:

Yarnover Cross (YOC) = Pull 3rd stitch over first 2 stitches and off the needle, then (k1, yo twice, k1) over the first 2 stitches.

K Double Cross YO (KDY; Right Side) = Knit into double yo, dropping second yo

P Double Cross YO (PDY; Wrong Side) = Purl into double yo, dropping second yo

Chart E is actually the extension of Chart D - count across the thumb gusset stitches from the right side until you reach 28 stitches.

Practise the Yarnover Cross for a few rounds, and then I don`t think you`ll have much trouble. The purse is very pretty, too.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
12/14/2004 10:18:59 AM
Baby Silk & Flower Basket - again Try knitting a swatch, and blocking it, hard. Unblocked lace always looks like a loose mess.
As to using two strands - I wouldn`t. We get more sun than you, but otherwise the climate is much the same, and I would use one strand for me. It`ll look more lace-like and still be enough to take off the chill.
I would try needles in the 5.5 to 6 mm range first, and see how it looks blocked.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
12/15/2004 6:09:30 PM
Gelinde, Many, Many Thanks, Again Another wonderful box of yarn for Dorcas knitting has arrived. Thank you so very much. It`s really appreciated.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
12/17/2004 8:59:22 AM
Address for Shui Kuen? Would you please e-mail me your snail address; I have your HW snippets all ready to send, but missed writing down your address.
trueman@uniserve.com
Everyone else, they are in the mail. Sent the US ones with air mail stamps and stickers, so they`ll either arrive today or two weeks from now, nobody knows.
Did anyone else notice that most people in the HW circle live in warm climates?

Alice
Salt Spring Island
12/18/2004 10:04:57 AM
Christmas Stress-Now was it me that said never again? If it`s not life-threatening, and you can`t get anyone else to do it, don`t worry about it. If the knitting isn`t finished, wrap it up in a nice box, still on the needles, add a picture or sketch of what it`s going to be, and give it that way. You`ll get it finished when you really need that addi turbo for something else. I stopped worrying the year the children with assorted friends phoned to say they had left the dock on a much earlier ferry than anticipated. I found my car keys and took off to meet the boat - no one even noticed all the things I hadn`t got finished - all that they cared about was that I was standing on the dock to meet them!

Have a fire in the fireplace, keep the lights low except where you are actually knitting, candles are good, and look serene - no one will suspect a thing. That said, it would be good if I decorated the Christmas tree before anyone actually arrives.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
12/18/2004 10:09:23 AM
Alice: Elann`s gift certificate from HW color card members Thank you so much. It`s really appreciated. I got a wonderful letter yesterday from Fort St. James thanking everyone who participated, and saying how much the warm clothing was needed.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
12/20/2004 6:55:33 AM
The birthday calendar! Mine is March 1st.

Alice
12/20/2004 5:32:16 PM
felted slippers question This is what I do: Fill washing machine with hot water to low setting, put in a squirt of dishwashing soap, stir it up with a wooden spoon, then add a kettleful of BOILING water - yes, boil it in the kettle, not hot from one of those heater things, but rolling boil - put in the pillow case with the clogs, and push it under the water with the wooden spoon. Hold it under the water until it`s water-soaked, then close the lid and start the agitation, for about 15 minutes. Meanwhile, fill the sink, bucket or large container with COLD water, doesn`t hurt to add a tray of icecubes. After time is up, lift case out of the washer and plunge into the cold bath, swish around with the wooden spoon, for 10 minutes or so. Then examine. If still too big, repeat with more boiling water and more icy water. I think the shock does more than the agitation.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25... Last