Alice Trueman - all messages by user

11/1/2004 6:41:53 AM
copyright laws Yes, if you provide the labour and the customer buys the pattern and the yarn, that`s one pattern purchased for one garment for one specific person, which is the intent of the designer. BUT if you then went ahead and knitted six more from that pattern on spec, and sold them, then, in my lay (not lawyer)opinion, that`s breaking the copyright law.

Here`s another example. In Canada, there`s a "right copy" law which allows people to make single photocopies of journal articles for their own use for educational purposes. Last year when I was doing my grad coursework, I did much, much more photocopying than I ever did when I was teaching. Reason, it`s legal for each person in a seminar group to make one copy for his own use of the articles under discussion, but the department/university cannot print up coursepacks to sell to a class, even if it is only recovering costs, without paying for the rights to so do.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
11/4/2004 7:02:31 AM
highland wool Mine arrived Wednesday. Just wonderful!!!! The woman in the little store where I have to go for parcels too big for the mailbox was even mildly pleasant - maybe she is finally getting a mellowing infkuence from all these boxes of yarn. Those white boxes always arrive here quickly - it`s possible to see Tsawwassen (shipping post office location for CDN orders) from high points on the east side of the island.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
Highland Wool Mine arrived Wednesday. Just wonderful!!!! The woman in the little store where I have to go for parcels too big for the mailbox was even mildly pleasant - maybe she is finally getting a mellowing infkuence from all these boxes of yarn. Those white boxes always arrive here quickly - it`s possible to see Tsawwassen (shipping post office location for CDN orders) from high points on the east side of the island.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
Highland Wool Mine arrived Wednesday. Just wonderful!!!! The woman in the little store where I have to go for parcels too big for the mailbox was even mildly pleasant - maybe she is finally getting a mellowing infkuence from all these boxes of yarn. Those white boxes always arrive here quickly - it`s possible to see Tsawwassen (shipping post office location for CDN orders) from high points on the east side of the island.

Alice
Salt Spring Island

Alice
Salt Spring Island
highland wool Mine arrived Wednesday. Just wonderful!!!! The woman in the little store where I have to go for parcels too big for the mailbox was even mildly pleasant - maybe she is finally getting a mellowing infkuence from all these boxes of yarn. Those white boxes always arrive here quickly - it`s possible to see Tsawwassen (shipping post office location for CDN orders) from high points on the east side of the island.

Alice
Salt Spring Island

Alice
Salt Spring Island

Alice
Salt Spring Island
11/8/2004 9:01:57 AM
you may now call me doctor point mousse Congratulations!!!! Treat yourself to something really special.

As to your passport, if it hasn`t surfaced yet, start really jumping up and down. One of my Chinese students had the same problem - lost in the post between the American Consulate in downtown Toronto and Aurora, which is just north of the big city.
Contact your local MP`s constituency office, repeatedly, with long tales of woe. [I went on about a lonely mother ill in Hong Kong, a father who had paid for a non-refundable ticket, etc]. I got instant action, with a search over southern Ontario. Within 5 hours it was found [in a small sub-post office in a corner grocery store - the person handling the mail was newly arrived, couldn`t read English or French, so didn`t know that he needed to send out one of those little cards to tell her to pick up mail], Shirley had tried very politely for a week with postal workers and got nowhere. The MP`s office stirred up the whole process, and had `alerts` sent all around. This is the kind of thing that constituency offices are for! It`s the sort of problem they can solve and feel good about. If, necessary, go and sit there with your knitting (something large) and a thermos of tea. The occasional sob doesn`t hurt.

Congrats again
Alice
Salt Spring Island
11/18/2004 9:38:05 AM
Dorcas Mailing We sorted, counted, and packed all the knitted, quilted, and assorted other items on Friday and Saturday for the Dorcas bales for communities in Northern B.C. For those who do not know about this project, the Anglican Church Women on Vancouver Island and the Gulf Islands send Christmas bales to needy parishes in Caledonia (Queen Charlotte Islands across northern B.C. to Pouce Coupe near the Alberta border), which contain new knitted sweaters, toques, mitts, scarves, for the children, baby sets, layettes for new mothers, afghans, quilts, and `joy bags` with necessities for people suddenly going into hospital, or leaving their homes unexpectedly for other reasons. We mailed them from Salt Spring on Monday - so they are on their way.

I`m certainly getting better at this - thanks to a friend with a camper van, we brought everything still in storage in Victoria to my house on Thursday, and collected helpers along the way. Thinking that assistance from people under 50 would be good, I told my children well in advance that I would need help. It worked! John even rounded up two friends to come, too. One guy became really good at bundling up layettes - he`s a grad student from Germany and I`d love to hear how he explains the `adventure` to his mother.

Many, many thanks to those of you who contributed yarn, and to our local funeral director, if by any chance he reads this, for contributing the boxes for mailing. I didn`t need to buy any yarn for the knitters for this year and I have a good stash all ready to make into kits to be knit up for the 2005 mailing. Donated yarn is really appreciated, and a big help.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
11/18/2004 9:49:51 AM
Peruvian Wool Bags Oh dear! oh dear! oh dear! Couldn`t miss that bargain, could I? So I ordered three bags full of ruby. I`m going to try the Classic Elite Pattern #677 Intertwined Lives, the yarn may be too too soft, but will see. I don`t usually knit a garment in the colour shown in the pattern, just on principle, but . . . Ann was wearing a sample of this sweater when she came over in September - it looked great, so I have been watching for some yarn for it. Of course, I already have HW Rudy sitting in one of those white boxes on the floor - but DD has coverted that and it has started to grow into a poncho.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
11/19/2004 5:31:09 PM
knitting todays classics - autumn leaves cardigan Hi

I have KNITTING BEAUTIFUL CLASSICS which has Autumn Leaves Cardigan starting on page 91, with the charts on page 93. I think it`s the same pattern, twisted rib, intarsia leaves, and then cables. Sometimes we get the same book but with the British title in Canada.
I think the blank squares = no stitch, but I`ll have to knit it through to be sure. It`s most unclear, but the only way to get the stitch count to work, is to read ROW 1 - purl 9 on the right side. The pattern appears to be knitted on the wrong side rows, with knit the knits and purl the purls on the right side as you come to them.
Give me a little time to try it out, and I`ll post what I discover.

Alice
Salt Spring Island, British Columbia, Canada
11/19/2004 5:49:32 PM
Dorcas Yarn Hi
The yarn for Dorcas needs to be machine washable and dryable in any weight from baby to bulky/chunky. It is used for baby clothes, sweaters, mitts, toques. The sweaters can be really heavyweight. Sport, Dk, and worsted are the most useful all-purpose. Bright colours are really good. Odd balls are fine, as we are very good at stripes! It is a great help to get donations of yarn. Some of the knitters are on very fixed incomes and often don`t like to ask `for yarn to be bought` for them, but are delighted to have a purpose to knit for.
Some knit bears, too, for children in distress. Some of these go north but most I send on to the `bear lady`. These go with peacekeepers, disaster relief workers, and the like for the children- Kosovo, Haiti, Afghanistan, etc. I sent 60 off this summer with a church group from Victoria who were going to Africa to repair an orphanage. Their church had made bedrolls for the children - so we contributed the bears to pop into each.
Yarn is welcomed at any time!!!! This is an ongoing project. My address is:
Alice Trueman
255 Canvasback Place
Salt Spring Island, British Columbia
Canada V8K 2W5

Many, many thanks,
Alice
11/20/2004 9:01:44 PM
Autumn Leaves Pattern Autumn Leaves Cardigan from Classic Elite book. This is my interpretation of the pattern - I`ve knitted a whole repeat of the leaves part, and made it work out with some fiddling. It`s a small cable, a panel of acorns with the caps downward, a small cable, the centre mofif of an embossed oak leaf, then a cable, another strip of acorns, and another cable - looks good, very tactile.

Now for the corrections/adjustments:
EVEN-NUMBERED ROWS are the RIGHT SIDE in this pattern.
1. 4-st cable pattern is fine, 4row repeat is straightforward with all rows charted.

2. 5-st acorn pattern works - wrong side rows 1, 3, 5 are charted, these form the cap of the acorn. This is a 14-row repeat, so it takes 2 acorns to reach the top of the leaf. For the u = knit 5 together, try this: slip 4 stitches, knit 1, pass the 4 slipped stitches over - gives good definition to the bottom of the acorn.

3. The leaf chart. There are a few bits missing.
<-<-<-<-<-<-<-<- should read - Place 5 stitches on a cable needle and hold in front, purl 3 from the left-hand needle, THEN, from the cable needle, SSK, K1, Knit 2tog, turn, purl 3, turn, knit 3tog, purl 1

ROW 12 should be - - - - l l l . l . l l l - - - -
P P P P K K K M1 K M1 K K K P P P P
This row needs to be filled in as above to make the stitch count, and the leaf shape work.

ROWS 11 and 17 are charted because of the Purl 2tog on both borders of the pattern
ROW 25 is charted because of the K at stitch 5 [middle stitch]

On all other wrong-side rows, knit the knit stitches and purl the purls AS THEY FACE YOU.

Hope this helps
Alice
Salt Spring Island
11/24/2004 8:58:59 AM
Camoflaging those white boxes How about dressing them up with Christmas paper and bows and using them to decorate the post office? It`s good to rearrange the display every few days - don`t want to let people get bored with it. Just tag them all to yourself.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
11/27/2004 9:25:24 AM
Got Cuzco? I ordered the black - enough for the poncho and the shawl in the free patterns. The Continental Cup for curling is on, so I`ve finished one half of the poncho and am on the last ball for the second side. It knits up really quickly in Mock Turtle (Mock-Turkish) stitch. It`s going to need some strenuous blocking to make the pattern show up, as it`s very furry. I`ve got some of the black alpaca left over from my shirt, so I think I`ll knit a neck onto the top. The poncho is going to be very warm for here, so a tighter neck will make it `winterwear`. It`s for my DD, not me. My black cat keeps eyeing it as I knit, as she`d love to squirrel away a ball of yarn for a kitten. I keep counting the balls.
This is the yarn for those gifts you haven`t got done!
Alice
Salt Spring Island
11/29/2004 9:06:52 AM
Hi Alice Many thanks!!!!!!
The form normally goes on the outside of the box. Many post offices seem to provide a little plastic sleeve to put it in - the open end self-seals or gets taped closed. Usually, Canada Customs just read the form without opening the box. These days, they may run it through an x-ray machine to make sure there isn`t a gun inside. We are not big on letting guns into the country - or fresh fruits and veggies, or living plants. Otherwise, the border is pretty open - just think of all those white boxes which go across to the Point Roberts Post Office!

Many thanks
Alice
Salt Spring Island
11/29/2004 9:20:30 AM
Guess Where I Spent Thanksgiving?? We celebrated American Thanksgiving this year with friends who have moved up from California. They are living in a trailer while their house is being built -due to a variety of unfortunate circumstance, they have been in it for a year and a half now - with an oven that`s about one foot cubed - but the house is coming on well now and they should be in by May or June. So we invited more friends, cooked a turkey, and in the usual Salt Spring style, Max brought a pan of wonderful stuffing, another brought the rolls, and yet another two pies - pumpkin and apple - all on Saturday night. Steve is working along with the builder (same one that we worked with for those who have been to my house) so can`t go out during the week. Then the gals sat around the table afterwards drinking coffee and discussing yarn, while the guys concentrated on the Continental Cup curling. The five of us who were curling Sunday morning were still rather stuffed. Island life is great!

Alice
Salt Spring Island
11/30/2004 9:27:23 AM
Knitting up the Cuzco Likewise for DD to study in. I`ve knitted the two pieces and now need to block them. Water or steam from the Jiffy steamer? I think I`m going to knit a neck on it with the leftover alpaca from my shirt, as she`ll probably wear it outside over the top of other sweaters. She was wearing the shetland hoody like a second skin with another sweater on top when we met for lunch last week. The buildings I`m in on campus tend to be kept at t-shirt temperature, she must be in the cold ones.
The ruby HW did not like the first poncho pattern I tried it in, so I pulled it out, and am reknitting it sort of in the knitty.com `Glamouflage` pattern, using some of the `in the bag` alpaca in the same ruby for contrast bits (just 4 rows of simple elongated stitch and then back to the HW in garter). This is much happier for it and me. It`s mindless knitting while I read away about early boarding schools for girls.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
12/1/2004 9:11:33 AM
Sneak Peak Ann knows what is in the newsletter which should arrive on Thursday! She`s just making us wait, then she`ll post even more teasers. The Storm is coming!

The Cuzco knits up really quickly. Poncho pieces are knitted and big piece of the shawl done. I`ve casually inquired if anyone is coming home for the weekend soon, answer is negative, so I will be able to use their beds for blocking!

Alice
Salt Spring Island
pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25... Last