Alice Trueman - all messages by user

8/16/2003 2:24:46 PM
converting yarn Hi Terri
What I do, is multiply the gauge, the stitches per 4 inches, by .72 to get the gauge of 2 strands of the yarn per 4 inches. I learned this from, I think, elann long ago, and it works very well.
Examples: baby weight at 32st x .72 = 23 st - sport
DK at 22st = 16 (15.84) st - chunky

Alice
Salt Spring Island, British Columbia, Canada
8/18/2003 8:15:39 AM
looking for pattern help Hi
I`ve just knitted a little swatch, and yes, there is a mistake. The eyelet rows (2,4) should end with the last pattern repeat and THEN P2.
The math just doesn`t work out in the instructions, total stitches need to add up to 25.
Pattern rows all start at the same side, so do not fiddle with the start-up, make the correction at the end of the row. Pattern will be lacy like this:

XXOXXOXXO
XOXXOXXOXX
XXOXXOXXO

with the little holes staggered.
Alice
SAlt Spring Island, British Columbia, Canada
8/18/2003 9:31:39 PM
Stripes Hi Yelena

Try leaving your ends about 3 inches long as you knit. Then, after you have sewn the side seam, plait the ends. Tie the bottom tightly, and tack the braid neatly to the seam line. Works very well.

Alice
8/18/2003 9:31:39 PM
stripes Hi Yelena

Try leaving your ends about 3 inches long as you knit. Then, after you have sewn the side seam, plait the ends. Tie the bottom tightly, and tack the braid neatly to the seam line. Works very well.

Alice
9/16/2003 9:44:30 AM
new knitter need help reading a pattern Hi Terry

I`m assuming that you are knitting the Katia Calipso Summer Top from the free patterns on elann.
Here goes for size b:

1. Cast on 46 stitches
2. Knit 2 rows (garter stitch)
3. Knit in pattern as follows:

Row 1 of Patterns: Knit 2, Knit 42, Knit 2

Row 2 of Patterns: (Knit 1 wrapping yarn twice around the needle) 2 times, (Purl wrapping yarn thrice around the needle) 42 times, (Knit 1 wrapping yarn twice around the needle) 2 times (134 stitches)

Row 3 of Patterns: (Knit 1 dropping the extra wrap from the needle) 2 times, (dropping the 2 extra wraps per stitch from the needle, slip the next 3 stitches onto a cable needle in FRONT of the knitting; then dropping the two extra wraps per stitch, knit the next 3 stitches; knit the 3 stitches from the cable needle) 7 times, ( Knit 1 dropping the extra wrap from the needle) 2 times (46 stitches)

Row 4 of Patterns: Knit 2, Purl 42, Knit 2

4. Repeat these 4 rows until knitting is 10 5/8 inches long
5. Decrease for armholes - Knit 2, knit 2 together, continue in pattern until 4 stitches remain, knit 2 together through backs of stitches, knit 2. Repeat on right side rows until 34 stitches remain.
6. Knit until piece is 18 1/2 inches long.
7. Bind off as follows:
Knit 2 together, return this stitch to left needle, knit two together, return this stitch to left needle, continue until you have 1 stitch left. Cut yarn and pull end through this stitch.

Knit another piece the same. Sew side seams. Sew top edges together for 1 1/4 inches on each side.

Hope this helps
Alice
9/22/2003 9:36:59 AM
Converting an entire pattern Hi Momslake
I can`t suggest a computer programme which would really do what you want, but I would try the following:

Knit a good-sized swatch - try at least 30 stitches, or more if you need to, to get 3 complete pattern repeats, and about 6 inches long, with DK on size 4.00mm needles. Look at it and if you like it, proceed, if not, go up or down needle size until you do like it, then proceed. Steam it, block it, or whatever you are going to do with the final knitting. While it`s drying, draw a schematic to the size of the finished garment - full-size. If you want a 27 inch width and 28 inch length, draw it that size.
Next, measure your swatch very carefully, try putting sewing pins into the corners of a four inch square with the swatch flat. Then you can pick it up and count the rows and stitches between the pins. Write down these counts. Look at the pattern to see how many stitches and rows you need for a repeat. Check with the numbers you wrote down, and work out how many stitches and rows per repeat (ie 32 stitches x 47 rows). If you are not feeling too brave, cut a piece of light cardboard to this size (using the counts from your 4 inch square). Now you can arrange your repeats just where you want them on your schematic by drawing around the card - voila, you know what your garment will look like. Also, much easier to arrange placement on paper, than when you are knitting. You may need to fudge a stitch or two to have the edges at a good stopping place. Then knit, following your schematic.

Alice
10/11/2003 8:24:00 AM
Pakucho Organic Cotton Yes. It`s wonderful to knit with. Nice long ataple fibres, no little short fuzzy bits. I have finished a slip-stitch jacket in the avocado and off-white. A great combination. I knitted the body and sleeves long, and am now about to machine wash it, to get the shrinkage over with.

Alice
Pakucho Organic Cotton Yes. It`s wonderful to knit with. Nice long ataple fibres, no little short fuzzy bits. I have finished a slip-stitch jacket in the avocado and off-white. A great combination. I knitted the body and sleeves long, and am now about to machine wash it, to get the shrinkage over with.

Alice
Pakucho organic cotton Yes. It`s wonderful to knit with. Nice long ataple fibres, no little short fuzzy bits. I have finished a slip-stitch jacket in the avocado and off-white. A great combination. I knitted the body and sleeves long, and am now about to machine wash it, to get the shrinkage over with.

Alice
10/28/2003 9:01:44 AM
One magazine subscription you couldn`t live without? Knitter`s - far ahead of any of the others.

Patterns are stylish, multi-sized, wearable, without being high fashion. Instructions are clear, schematics accurate. With the new standards system, yarn substitution is very easy - just match up with what elann has in stock. This is very important on an island with no LYS.

Besides, whereas does the editor himself answer his own phone, and help you? He knits, too, forwards and backwards. David, one of the X`s of XRX publishing, is ListDad on KnitU from time to time. These are real people!

Alice
Salt Spring Island, British Columbia,Canada
1/5/2004 10:17:55 AM
Peruvian Wool I knitted the Polperro Gansey from the Jamieson`s Shetland Book 1 from aubergine Highland Wool for a friend of my daughter`s It was a pleasure to knit, the simple pattern on the yoke showed up well, and he just loved it!!! Wore it for days, non-stop. Another really successful recent yarn is the Stahl Wolle Schnellstrick Granada - 16 st = 4". It started out to be an Einstein Coat, but I was short of yarn in charcoal, and DD didn`t much fancy black stripes. So I pulled it out Christmas Eve and have reknitted it in the Sumburgh Hooded Pullover from the same book as the gansey. Everyone is much happier with it this in this form. I knitted it in the round to the armholes, then up the back and front, 3-needle bind-off, knitted the sleeves down from the shoulders, and the hood up from the neck stitches. Very fast and satisfying. The only tedious part was the 45 inches of 3-stitch I-cord for the hood. Looks great and is certainly a style very popular with the young 20`s group here. Do keep stocking this yarn,if you can, Ann.

Alice
Salt Spring Island, British Columbia
1/5/2004 10:36:04 AM
Fair Isle and Mosaic Knitting Several of you have commented on wanting to learn two handed colour knitting to be able to knit up kits. This year`s retreat on Salt Spring, the last full week in June, explores fair isle and mosaic techniques. If you are interested, e-mail me OFF-LIST at trueman@uniserve.com. Electronic flyers will be available very soon.

Alice
1/14/2004 8:30:27 AM
sock yarn I ordered four balls of the Circulo "Obsession" from Elann 2-3 years ago. It`s 98.3% cotton,1.7% elastic. I knitted up one pair in quite an attractive pattern, looked good. It was easy to knit with, easy to maintain just a little bit of tension. BUT they are not nearly as comfortable to wear as my regular socks knitted with 75/25 wool/nylon. As this yarn knits up at 25st + 4", the stitches turned out to be quite pronounced under my foot. Because of the elastic, they fit snuggly and turned out being as warm to wear as the wool ones. They do look very neat and trim, but they are the last pair I take from the drawer. I haven`t yet knitted up the other two balls, and I knit socks on the ferries all the time. I would try to get something finer than "Obsession" if I were to knit more cotton socks.

Alice
1/14/2004 8:30:27 AM
Sock Yarn I ordered four balls of the Circulo "Obsession" from Elann 2-3 years ago. It`s 98.3% cotton,1.7% elastic. I knitted up one pair in quite an attractive pattern, looked good. It was easy to knit with, easy to maintain just a little bit of tension. BUT they are not nearly as comfortable to wear as my regular socks knitted with 75/25 wool/nylon. As this yarn knits up at 25st + 4", the stitches turned out to be quite pronounced under my foot. Because of the elastic, they fit snuggly and turned out being as warm to wear as the wool ones. They do look very neat and trim, but they are the last pair I take from the drawer. I haven`t yet knitted up the other two balls, and I knit socks on the ferries all the time. I would try to get something finer than "Obsession" if I were to knit more cotton socks.

Alice
1/18/2004 8:32:59 AM
EZ`s fabulous designs If you just pick up the stitches around the "cuff" and knit down three or four inches in whatever yarn(s) you still have left, the sleeves will turn out much better. Provisional cast-on is not necessary. Remember, 2 rows = 1 stitch in garter stitch. It`s a great pattern for using up stash.

Alice
1/26/2004 3:50:15 PM
mobius scarf Hi Ann

If it is a true moebius (cast-on in the middle and knitted out to the edges in both directions at the same time (figure-8 style on a long circular needle), then the last row will provide you with live stitches for the whole continuous edge. Then, with a shorter needle, you would cast on 3 or 4 stitches with the attached yarn and knit attached I-cord all along the edge, knitting together the last I-cord stitch and the next live stitch from the long needle on each round. This makes a very neat edge.

Any edging that is knit back and forth on the short dimension can be attached in the same way - just knit together the last edging stitch with the next live stitch, and then slip the first stitch on the next row (travelling towards the outer edge).

Alice
1/26/2004 3:50:15 PM
mobius scarf Hi Ann

If it is a true moebius (cast-on in the middle and knitted out to the edges in both directions at the same time (figure-8 style on a long circular needle), then the last row will provide you with live stitches for the whole continuous edge. Then, with a shorter needle, you would cast on 3 or 4 stitches with the attached yarn and knit attached I-cord all along the edge, knitting together the last I-cord stitch and the next live stitch from the long needle on each round. This makes a very neat edge.

Any edging that is knit back and forth on the short dimension can be attached in the same way - just knit together the last edging stitch with the next live stitch, and then slip the first stitch on the next row (travelling towards the outer edge).

Alice
2/3/2004 8:44:32 AM
Uros - possible problem Hi

Are you pulling the yarn from the centre of the ball? I have only knitted the first few inches of the celtic jacket in Knitter`s Stash, but I have finished the first braid and moved on to the plain part. I`ve used four colours for the bottom border, and knitted the braid in two handed fair isle, which does add a bit of tension to the yarn - no problems except a very cuddly cat who wants to rub her ears on it.
Try another ball, and pull out a generous amount so that you are not using the bitter end where it was cut at the mill.

Alice
2/12/2004 8:27:38 AM
Which Peruvian yarn would you most like to see restocked? Highland Wool in as many colours as possible, as first choice. Then all of the others. They`re great.

Alice
2/18/2004 8:59:31 AM
Medical miracle for dry skin!!!!!! Hi Eileen
As a former eczema victim, here are a couple of things to try. Do not even look at hand soap - it`s full of things which will make you itch. Lots of warm (not too hot, that`s bad) water in the shower makes you clean. Ditto for dishwashing soap. Use half the detergent in your laundry and set the washing machine for a long wash and the longest rinse you can. Use UNSCENTED sheets in the dryer. Avoid rubber/latex gloves. Keep a food log - maybe cauliflower or something makes it worse. This one you`ll probably laugh at, but an Italian pharmasist but me on to it, drink lots and lots of tea, just plain, clear black tea made with boiling water. Apparently it`s the tannin that quiets the eczema. Just think, you can spend hours knitting (only natural fibres) whilst you sip tea, all for health reasons!

Alice
pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25... Last