suzann - all messages by user

3/3/2005 7:49:54 AM
Suzann, you are one brave woman! LOL
You can`t see the whole set up. I don`t have a swift either. So the skeins were around a lampshade. The lamp being on the floor. The yarn went from the lampshade up and over a knob on the cabnet door then fed to the mixer.I have a cut down paper towel tube on the mixer blade. I did hit whip egg whites a few times Big Grin Trying to guide the yarn and turn the mixer off and on. This was my Mom`s mixer and it must be 30 years old.But the slow speed is really slow.
The best part. DH came home to this and asked what the heck I was doing Big Grin I explained and he told me to buy a ball winder and he would make me a swift Big Grin
Who said kitchens aren`t fun
I had over 800 yarns on skeins to wind into balls,and I wanted it now.
Sorry to report, that the balls didn`t really hold together very well. I might not have wound them tightly enough. Was worried about stretching the yarn. But at least I could knit the stuff up. But I knew you Benne would get a kick out of my makeshift winder. There are insturctions on the web for doing this. But my normal mixer is just to fast even at the lowest speed.
3/3/2005 8:51:15 AM
Suzann, you are one brave woman! I tried it with my KitchenAid, but it is just too fast. Also the dough hook doesn`t fit in a cardbord tube very well.
I love it Lucy and Ethel, you an me Benne Big Grin

I keep missing the ball winder here. So I hope Ann gets some more soon :)
I figured I had nothing to lose, Libby. I had all these skeins of yarn and it was either hand wind them or this. I wasn`t sure it would work to be truthful. But when the beater fit perfectly in the tube, I knew a higher power had tapped me on the shoulder..or it could have been Benne Big Grin
3/3/2005 8:59:09 AM
Socks on 2 circs I haven`t tried the 2 circs, but I have done tubes umm hats using magicloop. I quite like that. I want wool socks, but the pair I started for my daugher never got very far. It seemed to go on forever and ever and ever *looks shame faced*
I did knit her a pair of slippers. They were way to big. I must be math impaired. Well I just felted them. My answer to gauge disasters...felt it baby ;)
3/3/2005 10:05:09 AM
Suzann, you are one brave woman! you have a lota xplaining to do Lucy/Benne Big Grin
If you want to see what I knit with the yarn, there is a full sized picture here
http://lace.jasidog.com/uploads/post-1-1109872676.jpg
The infamous Clapitos. The second one I have made. My DD version is smaller, she wanted more a scarf then and blanket. Just a drop stitch pattern but very fluid.
3/3/2005 11:25:17 AM
Clapitos This is the second one I knit. This yarn is just a bit fuzzy and the stitches don`t drop down, you have to sort of poke them along. What I did was instead of only dropping the stitch at the edge of the work, I dropped them all across. They I only had to unpick 12 rows at a go. Otherwise when you are done, you have to sit and unpick 60 rows or so. And it is fun to see the dropped stitch effect.
On the straight section, you increase on one end and decrease on the other each row. So as you drop off a stitch, you are starting a new repeat at the other end. Each time is 12 rows, and you do the 12 row group 24 times...clear as mud.
The pattern calls for 600+ yards of Lornas Laces Lion and Lamb. But I used more then that. Not Lion and Lamb. haven`t won the lottery yet. I used a handpainted merino. I had an extra skein, if I hadn`t I would probably started the decrease section sooner. I see in a lot of blogs and at KR people were running out of yarn, before the end.
This is probably my fault as I didn`t do a gauge swatch. I was just full of myself after the mixer trickBig Grin
If you look at the link I posted, what you see is half the scarf/shall. But it is lovely to wear,very soft and fluid because of the dropped stitches.
I have been thinking that maybe sock yarn would be fun for a summer wrap. Not that we wrap up much in Virginia in the summerBig Grin But I freeze in the movies.
It is a fun pattern.
http://lace.jasidog.com/uploads/post-1-1109872676.jpg
I will see if I can get a picture of my DD. Her version is smaller, more scarf like.
3/3/2005 6:54:37 PM
Clapitos Hi Cate I am in Virginia Beach. Just down the road from you :)
It is a really fun pattern to knit. You knit in the back before and after the stitch that will be dropped. This keeps the edges nice and firm.
The increase sets have you knit in the front and back each row, until you have 107 stitches. I think it is 107 could be 101. I don`t have the pattern in front of me.
After the increase set you start the straight sets. This determins how long it will be. And you start dropping a stitch each 12 rows. I dropped them all the way across instead of just the one at the right hand edge.
After you complete these rows, you start the decrease sets. And that`s it.
I am a beginner knitter but I didn`t have any problem with the pattern. But I see in the blogs and at KR, people do seem to have problems. I think the pattern is well written.
I have seen in the Yahoo Clapotis KAL someone came up with the idea of purling the stitch that will be dropped. So you don`t need markers. I find it more trouble to purl in the middle off all those knit stitches then to move the markers..go figure. There are 17 sets of stitches on your needle at all times. And you bind off on the right hand side, you are increasing on the lefthand side.
For my daughter`s I only did 6 increase rows instead of the 12, and only 6 of the straight rows. So it is thinner and shorter then mine.
I have to try and take a picture of it at rest, for you to get an idea of how curvaious it is. And the reverse side is not unattractive either. All the dropped stitches billow up, like little waves. ahh the poetry of knitting :)
Oh and Cate your beautiful stitch marker was in the middle of the row. It is the only pretty one I have, so I like to show it off :)
It scrunches up like a scarf ot spreads out like a shawl.I think I am in love :)
3/3/2005 7:55:31 PM
Clapitos I uploaded some clearer pictures of the scarfs
http://lace.jasidog.com/uploads/post-1-1109908162.jpg

http://lace.jasidog.com/uploads/post-1-1109908213.jpg
3/4/2005 9:41:46 AM
Clapotis Yes and doesn`t help that many blogs refer to the pattern as Clappy o0 or my Clappy :>)
Clapotis Yes and doesn`t help that many blogs refer to the pattern as Clappy o0 or my Clappy :>)
clapotis Yes and doesn`t help that many blogs refer to the pattern as Clappy o0 or my Clappy :>)
3/4/2005 9:49:12 AM
Clapitos The pink one is MalAbrigo kettle dyed merino yarn from Uruguay. Supper supper soft. It was just reviewed at KR and the poor guy was sold out in a week. They are now spinning and dyeing like madBig Grin
I wore the pink one today, first time to the doctor.The ladies in the office all want one..dream on gals. It does`t seem to grow, but the dropped stitches give it a lot of bounce.Probably cause it is knit on the bias
Thanks, it one of those patterns that are simple to do but look more complicated.
3/4/2005 9:56:57 AM
Clapotis the name is suppose to mean little waves or ripples. It isn`t so much a pattern as a pandemic that has struck the knitting world online..and now I have infected this place. Big Grin
I saw a few solid color Clapotis and they look great too. Imagine baby silk or ummmm alpaca. Or maybe something slinky.
As I said if you pick anything that has the least bit of fuzz even HW the stitches don`t really run. You have to poke them along.
Someone did it with yo instead of dropped stitches. The yo make a smaller space. But might be handy on a really fuzzy yarn.
Clapotis the name is suppose to mean little waves or ripples. It isn`t so much a pattern as a pandemic that has struck the knitting world online..and now I have infected this place. Big Grin
I saw a few solid color Clapotis and they look great too. Imagine baby silk or ummmm alpaca. Or maybe something slinky.
As I said if you pick anything that has the least bit of fuzz even HW the stitches don`t really run. You have to poke them along.
Someone did it with yo instead of dropped stitches. The yo make a smaller space. But might be handy on a really fuzzy yarn.
clapotis the name is suppose to mean little waves or ripples. It isn`t so much a pattern as a pandemic that has struck the knitting world online..and now I have infected this place. Big Grin
3/4/2005 9:59:05 AM
Non-knitting good news to share YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHH

congratulations what a great way to start the day

dig through the yarn for the phone :>} oh dear that sounds about right Big Grin
3/4/2005 10:06:42 AM
Role call...about your FIRST elann order.... My first order was in June 2004 for the sample subscriptions. Then I order some needeles. I didn`t order any yarn until Oct 2004. They must have thought I had gone to sleep with the samples. First yarn order was Jo Sharp Comfort Mohair. Then, then I started reading this board, and the bottom fell out. Yes yes it was all of you, with your ohhhhhhhhhhh it is so soft and ahhhhhhhh i should have ordered more last year. You know who you are Big Grin
suzann
pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25... Last