acb - all messages by user

4/8/2004 10:01:01 AM
Question for Ann You read my mind, Marion - I`ll check with Michelle again today!
4/8/2004 10:01:01 AM
Question for Ann You read my mind, Marion - I`ll check with Michelle again today!
4/8/2004 8:08:16 PM
Some chemo caps links for free patterns You`ve all made this a special day for me, as you`ve got me thinking about chemo hats once again. I don`t know if many of you know this, but I lost my mother to breast cancer on December 29th, 2003 - I still haven`t quite gotten used to the idea that she`s no longer a part of my life. She was a remarkably strong and beautiful woman; she battled cancer for 6 years with a strength and grace I still can`t quite believe. She underwent chemo and lost her hair four times over those 6 years, but she didn`t wear caps - she wore scarves, to match every outfit, beautifully tied into chic turbans. Through those years, I also sewed her cap-like turbans of jersey cotton and lycra, and I`ve always had it in the back of my mind that if I ever have to go through what she did, I wouldn`t want to wear toques - I`d want to wear something easy, yet stylish - a knit hat that would resemble a tied scarf or high-fashion turban. This morning, after I read your posts, I hit upon the realization that if you took a mobius scarf measuring about twice the circumference of your head, and twisted it around your head twice, it would become an instantly beautiful, magically comfortable turban! I also hit upon the idea that if you did this in Esprit cotton/lycra, it would be non-slip and head-hugging. I have my first draft on the needles, and will be sure to let everyone know if anything materializes. If it works out, I`ll post it with instructions, and photos to show what I mean about twisting it around your head!
4/10/2004 9:05:12 AM
Some chemo caps links for free patterns My heartfelt thanks for your kind words Les, Benne, Bets, and Christine. I`m about halfway there on my first Esprit turban attempt, and I`m going to finish it, but I don`t think it will be "the one"! I guessing that I`ll have to make at least 2 or 3 before I hit on the right gauge, drape, etc. I`ll keep you posted!

I really like the idea of a chemo cap page on the Elann website. If I can get my turban idea of the ground, I`ll ask Peter to program a page, and I think it would be wonderful if we could work together as a group for this cause. I`ve had my thinking cap on about this for several days now -- perhaps if we all put our heads together, we could all think of ideas for the page - e.g. free patterns, a gallery for pictures of chemo caps knit by our group, etc.
4/11/2004 8:39:32 AM
Araucania Alert! Oh dear, Eileen - this is distressing. Diamond Yarn assured us that the yarn requirements in the pattern are correct. I hope others will post if they`re having a similar problem.
4/12/2004 11:46:03 AM
sneak peek page up yet? Hi Benne,

Here`s a direct link for you to try:
http://secure.elann.com/sneakpeek.asp
4/13/2004 7:10:24 AM
Question for ACB It`s a very pale peach - definitely not a pink.
Question for ACB It`s a very pale peach - definitely not a pink.
question for ACB It`s a very pale peach - definitely not a pink.
4/14/2004 5:38:10 AM
Question for ACB We re-order books every Friday, Heather, and then, provided they`re not backordered with our supplier, they take about 2 weeks to come in.
Question for ACB We re-order books every Friday, Heather, and then, provided they`re not backordered with our supplier, they take about 2 weeks to come in.
question for ACB We re-order books every Friday, Heather, and then, provided they`re not backordered with our supplier, they take about 2 weeks to come in.
4/15/2004 6:24:47 AM
Melinda! Yes, Melinda did contribute a bio, and it`s now up! When she emailed last night, she said she was "off to upstate New York for a long weekend with Tyler and Trey(and their parents, of course)", so I`m guessing that she may not be able to rejoin us until next week.
4/16/2004 7:27:42 AM
It is Official What a beautiful story, Patricia. My heartfelt congratulations to you. And though the wedding will be small, surely this is a great reason for you to hop over to Italy too, right?!
4/16/2004 5:29:14 PM
Old pattern-old name yarn This yarn is listed in Maggie Righetti`s _Universal Yarn Finder_ as a sport weight with 175 yards per 50g ball, and a recommended gauge of 24 st/4 on US 5 needles, so I would substitute a sport weight yarn. The gauge for most sweaters patterns is given for the body of the garment, using the larger needles.
4/19/2004 7:59:39 AM
aracuania This yarn is brand new to the knitting market this year, so I haven`t had a chance yet to try it myself, but here`s my best guess about your question, Corinna: it`s soft-spun cotton, so that means that there will likely be loose fibers on the surface of the yarn that will rub off a little in knitting, producing balls that look like pills. We used to offer a very popular cotton called "Softball", and this was the case with it too. After a washing or two, however, after all the loose fibers were gone, the yarn wore like iron, and never pilled. I`ll be looking for the comments of others, like Cindy, Les, and Eileen, who have finished their sweaters, after they`ve had a chance to wash them a couple of times.

The other issue still we still need to make a final group decision about with this yarn is its yardage. Sandra kindly measured several of her hanks and found variance. I think some variance is to be expected from small hand-producers like the Araucania group. I like the idea of supporting a small producer like the Araucania group, but welcome further thoughts here too.

Elann will hold off re-ordering Araucania cotton again until we have your opinions!
4/19/2004 5:19:53 PM
Waaaahhhh From the Backwoods! . . . or running colors disaster north of the 49th!

I washed a woven cotton blanket this afternoon, a lovely deep blue, gold, and cream, with a beautiful sun, moon, and stars motif, and you guessed it - all the cream is now green.

No problem, I thought, heart in mouth, I`ll go look for some of those color grabber sheets everyone swears by, and restore it in no time.

No luck.

Has anyone else here in Canada found them??????

Waaaahh!!!
4/20/2004 7:18:39 AM
A Huge Thank You from the Great White North! I`m just overwhelmed by the sympathy, generosity and good ideas of all of you! Wow - what a resourceful and caring group you are!

Now that you`ve given me a few brand names for color catchers, I can`t go wrong. Yesterday, I checked the fabric softener sections of our 2 supermarkets here in Tsawwasssen, and had no luck. They do have Clorox II, however, so I`m going to get some of that today. Also, thanks for the URL for Shout - I`ve printed off the page that shows Color Catchers, and Haoyin, who drives orders to Point Roberts each day, will look for them for me at the grocery store there today!

I`ve got the blanket still soaking in the washer, so that the dye doesn`t set where it`s traveled. Tonight, I`ll go nuts on it, and report back to you tomorrow!

Again, my heartfelt thanks for your amazing kindness and generosity.
4/21/2004 9:55:21 AM
A Huge Thank You from the Great White North! Well, the blanket is dry now, and looking no too bad, thanks to the suggestions and help of all. It`s not perfect, because its blue is quite a bit lighter than it was before washing, but at least it`s clean! I also think that perhaps I shouldn`t have washed it at all in the first place, as it looks considerably less "new" now, but I think this would have been the case, regardless of the color issue. In retrospect, I probably should have dry-cleaned it, but cotton and dry-cleaning just don`t seem to go together in my mind.

I ended up not using Clorox II in the end, because MacChick also suggested that industrial strength synthrapol (which I did happen to have on hand) works the same as Clorox II - it removes unreacted dye and suspends it in the wash water until you send it down the drain. I didn`t know this about synthrapol, which I have used in the past only to wash spinning oil residue out of wool before hand-dyeing it - so I`m pleased to report that at least I`ve come away from this experience with some new wisdom, and not just about synthrapol either - this experience has also been a wonderful example of the beauty and power of group wisdom!
4/22/2004 11:48:54 AM
2 police killed in Kosovo shootout Oh Patricia, how shaken you must be. You can be sure that my thoughts are with both you and DH.
pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25... Last