acb - all messages by user

3/10/2004 6:17:10 AM
White Buffalo has arrived and the dog loves it!@#$%^&* I think I read somewhere once that White Buffalo does still have some of its natural lanolin in it!
3/10/2004 2:59:53 PM
Cables and Lace Cardigan I haven`t knit the pattern myself, Carol, but since no one else has jumped in here, just let me know what it is you`re having difficulty with, and I`ll study the pattern, and do my best to help.
3/11/2004 7:29:49 AM
ACB ? Re: Gigi If you email diane@elann.com at our warehouse, she can check this for you, Les. She can also be reached anytime if you choose "Knitting Query" as your subject when you click "Email Us" from this site.

My experience with black yarns is that they are often very saturated with dye to make them a good, deep black. To achieve this, some manufacturers add more dye to the pot than the yarn can actually absorb, and the result is dye residue on the outside of the yarn that will disappear after a first washing.
3/11/2004 9:24:32 AM
Cables and Lace Cardigan I have the pattern here, Carol, and I hope my understanding of it helps. Basically, as you know, the cardigan is knit up to the armholes in one piece, on a circular needle, and then once you reach the armholes, you must knit the back, and the two front pieces separately, on straight needles.

So, what you do is pattern across 45 sts (this becomes one front piece), bind off 5 sts (the first underarm), pattern across 99 sts (this is the back of the cardigan + the other underarm) - now slip the remaining stitches (2 fronts) to scrap yarn or stitch holders, where they will wait until you have completed the back.

Now proceed to where it says Back: (you will have the wrong side of 99 stitches facing you, as you are about to purl). Change to same size straight needles, and bind off 5 stitches for the underarm, and purl 94 stitches. You are now ready to work the back piece on straight needles. When you`ve finished it, you will work the two front pieces, one at a time on straight needles too.
3/12/2004 1:10:02 PM
Corrections to Koko Tank Pattern Tahki Stacy Charles was kind enough to contact Rosemary Drysdale for us, and the result is that the pattern is now corrected in our Free Patterns section. A big thank you to Rosemary and to Melody and Deborah at Tahki Stacey Charles!
3/12/2004 3:46:44 PM
Pink Turtleneck: Suggestions Wanted! I`m not sure if you intended it or not, but I think the neck you ended up with might be described more as a "funnel" type neck than a turtleneck (i.e. the neck is knit straight up from the front piece with no shaping at the neckline). My suggestion would be to keep the pattern as is, but add neck shaping to the front piece before you knit the turtle neck portion. If you make the front a "U" shape before you pick up for the turtle, it will do several things: first, it will make the hole MacChicklet puts her head through larger; second, it will change the way the turtle sits, and third, I think it will make the sweater more comfortable for her to wear. Perhaps it`s just a personal bias of mine, but I find funnel necks uncomfortable - I keep having the urge to pull the neck away from my throat, as it seems to bulk up and bind there . . . has anyone else found this?
3/12/2004 7:06:13 PM
I found a pattern I really want to do: what can I substitute for r/o Cicco is actually listed at this site on the "Yarn Info Finder" Page. It`s:

56% Wool 35% Nylon 9% Acrylic
11 st/4"
7.0mm (US 10 1/2-11)
110m/ 120 yards
50g (1.75 oz)

The "Yarn Info Finder" page is handy, because it also links you to yarns available on the site in the same gauge. Just click "Info/Help", on the black menu bar, and then "Yarn Info Finder".
3/13/2004 9:04:17 AM
Pink Turtleneck: Suggestions Wanted! You can also make a cast-off edge nice and loose by using a needle size up to 4 times larger to cast off - works like a charm for me!

Benne mentioned the idea of a cowl top, as opposed to a turtle too, which would make the neck slouchy and very easy to pull on. You can achieve this by making the "turtle" progressively wider as you move up toward its top (anywhere from 1.25 to 1.5 times as wide at the top as at the bottom, depending on how long and how slouchy or drapey you want the neck to be). Or, you could adapt this idea and make a "turtle" with about 1.1 times extra width at the top.
3/13/2004 11:09:58 AM
Oooops, Ann does work weekends! My pleasure!
3/16/2004 6:43:45 AM
Endless Summer Question for Ann I can`t describe specific offerings in this regard, but be assured that we`re working hard to build as many interesting fibre blends into the Endless Summer Collection as we can! . . . wait and see:-)
3/16/2004 6:43:45 AM
Endless Summer Question for Ann I can`t describe specific offerings in this regard, but be assured that we`re working hard to build as many interesting fibre blends into the Endless Summer Collection as we can! . . . wait and see:-)
3/16/2004 6:50:57 AM
How often do books restock? We re-order all in-print books every Friday, so 1000 Sweaters will be re-ordered this Friday, and should be back in stock within 2 weeks of re-ordering.

While I haven`t knit anything from this book, thumbing through it, I thought it was one of the best and most innovative knitting books I`ve seen in a long, long time, and I plan to snag a copy for myself as soon as it`s back in stock again. The pages are divided horizontally into separate pages, each with beautiful photographs and instructions, and you can flip flip them to see necklines (top), bodies (center), and sleeves (bottom). You can then mix and match your favorites - this might be a ridiculous metaphor, but it struck me as a "Mr. Potato Head" toy for knitwear design!
3/17/2004 6:28:27 AM
free pattern for capri openwork jacket error? I think you`re absolutely right, Benne, so I`ve changed the pattern to cast on 70 stitches for the back, and 38 for the front. Be sure to let me know how it goes!
3/18/2004 7:56:06 AM
it`s my birthday and I`ll cry if I want to Happy Birthday, Benne! It`s my baby brother`s birthday today too. Looking at your picture, and knowing you`re a rocker from way back, I`m reminded of Rod Stewart`s line, "you wear it well" - your beauty transcends your years, and your eyes reflect your wisdom - you`re a force to be reckoned with!
3/19/2004 6:44:37 AM
white buffalo -- light moss = yellow? The White Buffalo color names are chosen by the manufacturer, Bea, and they are a bit strange! The light moss is definitely a clear yellow - nothing green about it at all.

I know individual monitors can vary, but if you`ve found generally that you can rely on the way our colors look on your monitor, you should be able to trust them across the spectrum. We take great pains to make a separate graphic for each color we display, so that it is as accurate as we can possibly make it.
3/20/2004 8:05:03 AM
Anne, do you have any shows planned? No, I`m sorry, I don`t, Bets. Elann has actually never exhibited in a show. I`m a confirmed introvert!
3/20/2004 7:25:59 PM
Reply to Patricia Shui Kuen,
How many days of chat messages do you have your browser set to automatically load? The default is set at 45 days, but nowadays that`s a *lot* of messages. There`s a box you can fill in with the number of days you`d like to have load - it`s at the top of the page when you first visit the Chat Center. I`ve got mine set now to load only 5 day`s worth of messages each time I hit the page, and it loads quite quickly. Anyone else?
3/21/2004 7:20:44 AM
new Elsebeth Lavold book Bea, our book supplier sends us copies of all new knitting books, as soon as they become available. Sometimes this takes longer than one would expect - especially in cases where the reviews and promotions come out well before a new book actually arrives in a supplier`s hands. I haven`t seen this one yet, but you can be sure that as soon as it`s sent to us, you`ll see it when you click "What`s New?"
3/21/2004 12:24:11 PM
Hmmm-something funny going on.... Hi Bets,
Peter is wondering if you remember which posts you had trouble with. (I think he suspects that there may be a character that the database doesn`t like). For the next few days, could Bets and others who might be having a similar problem, please copy their messages onto their pasteboards before submitting them, and then if you find that a message doesn`t submit properly, email it to me at info@elann.com, so that I can show Peter?
3/23/2004 7:43:05 AM
My house looks like Bttp! I don`t care, what about the ISM/USMs! Bets, looks like Sandra just purchased one (Sandra, I think it stands for Incredible Sweater Machine), and I`ve had a Bond for about 12 years now (just a slightly larger version of the same machine). I love it. Bond publishes books with special pattern instructions, but I don`t find I need them. I just use any pattern that has a schematic, and which is mostly stockinette stitch. I simply make a big swatch before I start, calculate the number of stitches and rows per inch, and then do the arithmetic to match the schematic. The easiest way to make beautiful garments with it is to make the sleeves and body in stockinette, and then the bottoms, borders, collars, etc. in fancier stitches, pickup up and knitted by hand. (I notice that page 125 of the latest Vogue Knitting advertises an upcoming book by Nicky Espstein called Knitting on the Edge - I can`t wait, as I just love her earlier book Knitted Embellishments for Bond projects too.)

Re where to put it, I have mine set up all the time, just behind the sofa, so that I can enjoy a bit of TV when I use it (unlike lace knitting, it`s so simple, that it`s TV goof-proof). It really doesn`t take up much room at all, because I`ve set it up on long narrow tabletop the same length as the couch, atop 2 end tables - it takes up no more room than a sofa table would. I know that if it weren`t set up all the time, I`d probably never use it.

I tested Esprit on it, and it knit like a dream (no catching or pulling, and lovely tenstion) to a perfect 6 sts/1" using the number 1 Keyplate.
pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25... Last