acb - all messages by user

2/27/2004 2:55:07 PM
Yet Another White Buffalo Question Because White Buffalo is unspun, it`s loftier than other polar weights, and therefore, a polar weight coat of White Buffalo will be warm, yet light by comparison to a coat knit in a polar weight with a tighter twist that demands knitting a denser fabric.
2/28/2004 1:32:02 PM
question for Ann Cannon-Brown Oh dear, Benne - I do so hate giving my opinion on colors, because color preferences are just so subjective. Let me tell you that the dark burgundy and the lilac are both what I would call purples, and to me, while they don`t contrast dramatically, they do make a pleasing tone on tone combo. Ironically, the color called eggplant is more of a winey color (ironic, to me, because I would have reversed the names "eggplant" and "dark burgundy", had I been the one naming the colors - unlike most yarns, White Buffalo has manufacturer color names.) I hope this helps a little, even though I`m sure you can feel me squirming!
3/1/2004 6:41:22 AM
Knitting Esprit 2 Strands Together - For traina@optline.net My photo on the left is to answer your query about whether Esprit would be a good candidate for knitting 2 strands together, which really got my creative juices flowing, when I realized that the Just One More Row Watercolor Camisole is knit with 2 strands of sportweight held together throughout - you can see the pattern at: http://secure.elann.com/productdisp.asp?NAME=Just+One+More+Row+Watercolor+Camisole&Cat=&ProductType=4&Count=1.

I thought what a wonderful opportunity to combine colors, and I also liked the idea of making a camisole that would really hug - no danger of an ill fit!

At left, you`ll see one diamond for this top, which I knit using Esprit, and it was a dream to work with 2 strands together. I found I didn`t have to do anything different than I normally would to get even tension, and as I suspected, it worked up to about aran tension (18 st/4"). The only trick was finding the right needle size. You`ll notice that single-stranded, the recommended needle size for Esprit (US 7 - 4.5mm) is much larger than you would normally use to get sport gauge -- this is because the elastic hugs the gauge in after knitting. For the Watercolor Camisole, the pattern recommends a needle size of US 6-8 (4-5mm) for 2 strands of sport weight held together, but because of the hug, I found that I had to go way up to US 10 (6mm) to get the correct tension using Esprit.
3/1/2004 1:14:51 PM
Knitting Esprit 2 Strands Together - For traina@optline.net I think it would be really easy to use one of the printed colorways for this pattern, as it would mean no color changes, or if you used one of the prints, in combination with a few of the solids, that might work very nicely too! That said, even using 6 different colors, as indicated in the pattern, the diamonds are still really easy and fun to knit. Here are the six solid colors I used for my swatch (in order of their appearance from bottom to top of diamond - the bottom is #1 and #2 held together, then #2 and #3, etc. - there is one color change every 4 rows):
#1 - 6399 - Lilac
#2 - 2138 - Mauve
#3 - 2137 - Angel Blue
#4 - 2369 - Alaskan Blue
#5 -8699 - Glacier Blue
#6- 6056 - Orchid Pink
3/2/2004 8:41:38 AM
Sonata vs. Sonata Yes, it`s just the name that`s changed, Darla - we decided to make Sonata the first yarn in the "Endless Summer" collection.
3/3/2004 6:18:53 AM
white lies yarn Are you thinking about the pattern Nicole? Valeria di Roma Capri is a silky rayon blend that matches the yardage/50g specified in that particular pattern. We still have very good stock of ivory and navy - both good, basic lingerie colors - there`s also hot pink, if you`re not the "always the basic colors" type that I am! I haven`t tried any swatches for that pattern myself, but I thought I`d mention it, as it might be worth adding one ball of Capri to your next order, just to try a swatch, to see if it works for you.
3/3/2004 3:40:43 PM
Les and her cheat sheet - should we post bios? Okay guys, the challenge is on. Which one of you, who has posted a bio here in this thread, will be the first to send a picture to go with it to info@elann.com?! I`ve discussed the idea of a bio page with Peter, our programmer, and he`s all ready to make it so. Shui Kuen has set a brave and beautiful example for all by actually posing in her own creation!

And what would you like to call the bio page? Send me your suggestions!
3/3/2004 4:47:58 PM
Shui Kuen, you`ve done it again Yes, Benne`s 100% right - and I want the inbox of info@elann.com to be flooded with pictures of all of you for the upcoming bio page!
3/3/2004 4:47:58 PM
Shui Kuen, you`ve done it again Yes, Benne`s 100% right - and I want the inbox of info@elann.com to be flooded with pictures of all of you for the upcoming bio page!
3/5/2004 3:13:35 PM
Will 2 balls really be enough for this hat? (Sock it to Me) I haven`t actually knit the pattern myself, but you`ll notice that its gauge is very loose - 24 stitches to 4", not the 28-30 stitches you would normally expect to see for this weight of yarn. I think that the looser gauge would make for a loftier and more stretchable double-thickness hat.

To answer your question, I measured off 20 yards of yarn, and knit it up at 24 st/4". I then calculated the total number of stitches in my swatch (1056), and divided it by the total number of stitches worked for one side of the men`s hat pattern (10,787), and multiplied the result by 20 yards. My estimate is that had I knit the men`s hat, I would have used 204 yards, and since each ball of yarn is 230 yards, I would have been fine.

Be sure to match your knitting gauge to that of the pattern, and you should be okay!
3/5/2004 8:23:24 PM
Elann`s own Biography Channel Hi Folks!

There`s a new "Biography Channel" link to the left, just under the submission instructions. Click through to the new page, and check out all the biographies and photos sent in so far. Please let me know if I`ve missed anyone, as I took the biographies from the recent posts, and could easily have missed one or two, or in my tired, end-of-the-week state, unknowingly have messed up in matching chat names to posts - don`t be afraid to set me straight! Thanks to all of you who have so generously shared, and thanks especially to Les and Benne who started this special ball rolling.
3/6/2004 1:20:51 PM
Elann`s own Biography Channel Eileen, per your request, I`ve asked Peter to add captions to the bio pictures, and hopefully, he`ll be able to do this next week.
3/6/2004 1:21:32 PM
Elann`s own Biography Channel Done!
3/6/2004 1:23:18 PM
Pictures for Biography Page Keep `em coming - and if you have more than one, just let me know!
3/8/2004 7:31:11 AM
Sneaky Ann and Benne! I told Robert about your observation. You`ve now reminded him how deprived he his - it`s been almost 12 years since I knit him a sweater. I could probably count on one hand the projects I`ve actually completed since I started Elann, which ironically, has left me with next to zero time for knitting.

Now that I think about it, it`s like one of those tortures the Greek gods used to think up to punish mortals - hungry and thirsty Tantalus, with a banquet set before him, unable to eat and drink, and knit-crazed me, a feast of yarn before me, unable to knit. I`m sure you all feel very sorry for me!
3/8/2004 6:48:14 PM
Enlarging Patterns Hi Marie,

I`ve posted an article about just this topic this on our FAQ page. Just click "Info/Help" on the black menu bar, and then "FAQ" on green, lower menu to find it!
3/8/2004 6:51:45 PM
Improvements to the Biography Channel I`m sure you`ll all want to take Peter to lunch when you see them. He`s not only included captions under the bio pictures, but for everyone in the biography section who has submitted project pictures, he`s made links so that if you click on "Click Here to See My Pictures", they`ll all appear on the left menu - thank you, Peter!
3/8/2004 7:43:57 PM
Improvements to the Biography Channel You`re perfect just as you are Bets - we don`t believe you`re wicked for a second. We`d sure like to see a picture of you, though!
3/9/2004 9:27:55 AM
Improvements to the Biography Channel My humble thanks to all of you. It`s been a great pleasure for us to put together the biography section. It`s such a thrill to be able to put faces to stories and projects. Keep those pics coming!
3/9/2004 4:34:09 PM
thinking ahead - what to do with leftover Peruvian and sample skeins You`ll laugh Benne, but I`ve been kicking about ideas like this for years now, as my nature is to never waste anything, and I think that patchwork knitting is so very beautiful. Consequently, Elann has literally thousands and thousands of beautiful 10 yard skeins that we`ve made up from newsletter yarn leftovers dating back over the years. We`ve even got them all sorted into color groups - huge boxfulls of each group, a riot of color and texture, with almost every fibre type imaginable. If you click "Products" and then "Samples", you`ll see the whites/naturals on the left frame graphic, and the some peaches/pinks in the graphic for the sample skeins subscriptions. I`ve been thinking of offering them at the website one day in one-color-group batches of about 1/2 pound (approx. 50 skeins) per bag.
pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25... Last