acb - all messages by user

1/13/2005 12:44:31 PM
Question for Ann I wish I could say yes, Eileen. I rarely have time to knit, though I did do the two quick-knit Cuzco pieces.
Question for Ann I wish I could say yes, Eileen. I rarely have time to knit, though I did do the two quick-knit Cuzco pieces.
1/14/2005 9:59:45 AM
Happy Birthday, Cheryl ! Many happy returns of the day to you, Cheryl!
1/17/2005 8:54:33 AM
Brazilia Color in Peeks - Question Keep your eyes on "peeks" this week, Lisa!
1/17/2005 8:55:56 AM
WILL THERE BE MORE SOLID SOCK YARN COLORS COMING IN? Probably, Joan, but probably not until next Fall.
1/20/2005 7:58:51 AM
Uros and Sierra Just a reminder for Friday morning at 6:00 am Pacific Time for our small remaining stock. Lest we cause a stampede, it won`t be posted on "What`s New" -- it will be posted quietly in "Products", "Yarns".
1/20/2005 8:07:27 AM
Bond Question Hi Corinna,
I have to confess that that what you`re saying just doesn`t compute for me. Here`s what I do, and I *always* get perfect sizing when I use my Bond:

1. Make a *big* swatch with the template you itend to use. Since it`s so easy and fast, sometimes I use a full ball for my swatch, and I always make it big enough so that I have to use the long weight bar to make it (i.e. same weight as I will use for my garment).

2. When I take the swatch off the needles, I roll it into a sausage, from side to side, and let it sit a day or two. I then pin it out flat on a carpet, and measure the stitch and row gauge.

3. I wash the swatch by the laundering method I will use for my garment, dry it, and measure it again. I use the washed gauge in my calculations for the garment.

4. I keep the swatch for future garment repairs!
Bond question Hi Corinna,
I have to confess that that what you`re saying just doesn`t compute for me. Here`s what I do, and I *always* get perfect sizing when I use my Bond:

1. Make a *big* swatch with the template you itend to use. Since it`s so easy and fast, sometimes I use a full ball for my swatch, and I always make it big enough so that I have to use the long weight bar to make it (i.e. same weight as I will use for my garment).

2. When I take the swatch off the needles, I roll it into a sausage, from side to side, and let it sit a day or two. I then pin it out flat on a carpet, and measure the stitch and row gauge.

3. I wash the swatch by the laundering method I will use for my garment, dry it, and measure it again. I use the washed gauge in my calculations for the garment.

Bond question Hi Corinna,

1/20/2005 8:11:57 AM
Bond question One more thought!

I remember when I started knitting on my Bond, my tension was not always perfectly even - i.e. it was sometimes tight in spots, and I`m thinking this might account for your garments being smaller than you intended. My formula for even tension is to be sure that you have no tension whatsoever coming from the ball of yarn. If you do, it will result in tighter tension. At the beginning of every row, I pull out 3 or 4 arm-lengths of yarn from the ball, so that the yarn feeds through the carriage with absolutely no pulling.
Bond Question One more thought!

I remember when I started knitting on my Bond, my tension was not always perfectly even - i.e. it was sometimes tight in spots, and I`m thinking this might account for your garments being smaller than you intended. My formula for even tension is to be sure that you have no tension whatsoever coming from the ball of yarn. If you do, it will result in tighter tension. At the beginning of every row, I pull out 3 or 4 arm-lengths of yarn from the ball, so that the yarn feeds through the carriage with absolutely no pulling.
Bond question One more thought!

1/21/2005 9:24:13 AM
Bea and Carrie: My mum used to do exactly the same thing too! I used to think it was funny, because her index finger used to make these furtive little darts forward to make each stitch. Each dart was noticable only because it was such a regular and deliberate action, but the time it took to execute was so lightening fast, that you had to really look hard to see it actually happening!
1/22/2005 10:26:27 AM
Benne and Thom: Happy 30th wedding anniversary I`ll second that. Any guy who would model a poncho for you, sitting on his Harley, is definitely a keeper!
1/23/2005 9:14:57 AM
So, who`s getting boots? A neat trick, if you don`t want to be ever-concerned about having to wear the perfect socks with these boots is to knit sock-like "liners" for them. If you look carefully at the pictures from Schachenmayr (Regia), you`ll see that they have knit over-size socks to fit the insides of the boots, inside which you could slip your old white athletic socks, and no one would be any the wiser!
1/24/2005 3:25:06 PM
Question for Ann-Schoeller Stahl Fall/Winter 2003/04 Thanks for finding the bad link, Benne. We`re out of stock of this volume now, and I`m still not sure if it`s still available or out of print. I`ve fixed the links, and I`ll post more information as soon as I`m able to find out whether or not we can re-stock it.
pages: First ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32... Last