acb - all messages by user

7/6/2004 7:42:15 AM
Knitting machine - patterns? I just read Theresa`s post, and she`s absolutely right. Because of the tension differences between hand and machine, you wouldn`t ever want to start your stockinette by hand, and then finish it with the machine. I do all the stockinette on the machine first, starting and ending with a few rows of waste yarn, and then I simply pick up and knit by hand in either direction for the pattern stitch sections.
7/7/2004 3:55:12 PM
Ann and Ladies I don`t see any problem at all with posting them, Heather.
7/7/2004 6:46:35 PM
$50 Discount question... Martha,
You`re on the right track with your thinking re a small order first to trip the clock, and then a second order to get the discount applied. If you do 2 orders in one day, you`ll save on shipping, if you watch for the programming at the checkout that asks you if you want to merge your second order with your first. This programming only kicks in for 2 orders placed on the same calendar day, however, so I would recommend placing both orders on the same day.
7/8/2004 8:07:25 AM
$50 Discount question... Martha,
The programming appears just before you click the "Complete Order" button - an alternate "Complete Merged Order" button appears also. If you missed seeing and clicking it, you will need to email robert@elann.com, so that he can make the adjustment for you manually.
7/8/2004 1:53:40 PM
FREE PATTERNS Hi Elaine,
If you`re wondering about free patterns Elann has offered in the past, but no longer offers, I`m sorry, but once they`re gone, they`re usually gone for good. We offer free patterns by generous permission of the yarn companies that design them, as a way of promoting their yarns. Once the yarn for a free pattern sells out, therefore, we no longer offer the patterns that were written for that yarn. The only exception would be if we were able to re-stock a previously sold out yarn for a particular pattern.
7/8/2004 1:53:40 PM
free patterns Hi Elaine,
If you`re wondering about free patterns Elann has offered in the past, but no longer offers, I`m sorry, but once they`re gone, they`re usually gone for good. We offer free patterns by generous permission of the yarn companies that design them, as a way of promoting their yarns. Once the yarn for a free pattern sells out, therefore, we no longer offer the patterns that were written for that yarn. The only exception would be if we were able to re-stock a previously sold out yarn for a particular pattern.
7/8/2004 7:56:43 PM
free patterns Of course!
7/8/2004 7:56:43 PM
FREE PATTERNS Of course!
7/13/2004 7:48:54 AM
A Thought for the Day Just received this from an old friend, and thought some of you might appreciate it:

A Chinese Tale

A water bearer in China had two large pots, each hung on the ends of a pole which he carried across his neck. One of the pots had a crack in it, while the other pot was perfect and always delivered a full portion of water. At the end of the long walk from the stream to the house, the cracked pot arrived only half full.

For a full two years this went on daily, with the bearer delivering only one and a half pots full of water to his house.

Of course, the perfect pot was proud of its accomplishments, perfect for which it was made. But the poor cracked pot was ashamed of its own imperfection, and miserable that it was able to accomplish only half of what it had been made to do. After 2 years of what it perceived to be a bitter failure, it spoke to the water bearer one day by the stream.

"I am ashamed of myself because this crack in my side causes water to leak out all the way back to your house."

The bearer said to the pot, "Did you notice that there were flowers only on your side of the path, but not on the other pot`s side? That`s because I have always known about your flaw, and I planted flower seeds on your side of the path, and every day while we walk
back, you`ve watered them. For two years I have been able to pick these beautiful flowers to decorate the table. Without you being just the way you are, there would not be this beauty to grace the house"

Moral: Each of us has our own unique flaws. We`re all cracked pots. But it`s the cracks and flaws we each have that make our lives together so very interesting and rewarding. You`ve just got to take each person for what they are, and look for the good in them.

Blessings to all my crackpot friends.
7/13/2004 9:40:36 AM
P.A.M. A synthetic binder makes perfect sense, Marion. You`ll find these often with brushed mohairs (a 9% nylon binder is common) - my assumption has always been that binders are used to ensure the fibres stay together through the brushing process.
7/19/2004 6:19:46 AM
Ooohhh Ann or Diane... Heather, we`ve been able to bring Brilla in for the last 2 spring seasons, and we`ll certainly try to bring it in again for next spring.
7/19/2004 3:17:04 PM
Shui Kuen - Roma Question Diane checked all our Roma stock today, and found that what you noticed is true. We hadn`t noticed it ourselves until you pointed it out, but 01 White, 02 Vanilla, 03 Ecru, 04 Sand, 10 Bluebell, and 14 Misty Lilac (not in newsletter because we have only a small quantity of this color), do have a slightly tighter twist. The looser twist colors are: 05 Arizona Tan, 07 Marigold, 08 Crocus, 12 Aruba Aqua, 13 Forest Green, 15 Rhubarb (also not in newsletter because of small quantity), and 16 Black. Diane found this to be the case consistently within each color.
7/19/2004 7:04:38 PM
Your turn, Benne! Congrats, Chicklets! Your first rectangle looks brilliant compared to the first one I did about 10 years ago. I used the ball of acrylic that came with my machine, and my tension was so uneven that some of my stitches were only half the size of others. You know -whole rows and sections where I was pulling too tight on the ball of yarn. It didn`t take long, though, before I discovered how to pull out a row`s worth of yarn first, and then glide along with no tension on the yarn whatsoever. I loved it, because when I finally got the hang of it, I felt that my pieces really did have a hand-knit look.
7/21/2004 6:44:24 PM
Araucania coming back in stock? Hi Lisa,
I`m sorry, but we decided against bringing in another large shipment of Araucania Nature Cotton this season. If you need just a few skeins to finish a project, please email diane@elann.com.
7/21/2004 7:03:11 PM
Fiber Trends felted clogs and White Buffalo Question My rule of thumb is that:
2 x fingering = 1 worsted
2 x worsted = 1 bulky
2 x bulky = 1 polar (6-ply White Buffalo),

so. . .

I agree with Annie that half of your 6-ply (i.e. 3 plies) should match 2 strands of worsted.

It makes sense from a yardage point of view too. Worsted weight wool is usually about 100 yards/50g, so 2 strands together would equal 50 yards/50g, and White Buffalo is 122 yards per 227g (which would be 27 yards per 50g). If you split it in two, you`d get your 50 yards/50g.
7/23/2004 11:11:25 AM
3-in-1 Color Tool - I missed it! My apologies, ladies -- but don`t worry -- our supplier has many, many more on back-order for us, and we will be able to offer this tool on an ongoing basis, once our supplier catches up with their back orders.
7/25/2004 9:00:47 AM
Question about the 1000 Sweaters book for Ann, et al Yes, Bets is right, Benne. All you need do is knit a big swatch - I usually use about 1 whole ball for a Bond swatch, since a ball takes so little time to knit up. That way, you can really see what the drape of your finished fabric will be, and if you keep your swatch on file, you`ll always have that extra ball you may need down the road for re-knitting a worn neckband, extending the sleeves, etc., etc. After you remove the swatch from the machine, roll it up like a sausage (from one side to the other), and then let it relax for a day after knitting it, so that it recovers from the effect of the weights. You can then measure its before-washing gauge. I also then launder the swatch in the same manner I plan to launder the finished garment, and then measure its after-washing gauge. It then takes only arithmetic to convert any pattern to your finished gauge. With the Bond, in no time you`ll get really good at understanding the simple arithmetic of patterns. I find that the Bond is ideal for DK and worsted weights - so go nuts!
7/26/2004 8:45:41 PM
Eileen, those look like baby cardis- "Chuffed" was a word my mum used all the time too, Eileen - she would have said either 1) "she`ll be be chuffed when she sees her sweaters on this website," or 2) "she`ll be made-up . . ."

Translation - "made up" had nothing to do with make-up, and had everything to do with being "over the moon" about something!
7/26/2004 8:50:39 PM
Eileen, those look like baby cardis- . . . or "like dog with two tails"
7/27/2004 8:51:27 AM
Eileen, those look like baby cardis- Yes, we`re Liverpool Irish, Eileen. My birth name was Heneghan. My paternal grandparents were from County Cork and County Mayo. I vow I`ll go see those places for myself one day soon!
pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25... Last