acb - all messages by user

6/7/2004 6:34:49 PM
Is it just me ? I think you`re absolutely right, Benne. The labels on the two yarns are identical, but we found when we made the 10 yard skeins of print, that we were able to make fewer skeins per ball. While we found the yardage on the solids to be accurate, we found the yardage on the prints to be about 10 yards less per ball. We`ll be noting this on the ordering page when we post it on the 15th. What differences have you noticed in the texture?
6/7/2004 6:40:31 PM
Planning ahead...question for Ann I don`t mean to torture you ladies, but we like to keep our future offerings largely a surprise! That said, I will tell you that Pure Alpaca will be offered again first, in the same colors as last season, and that we`ll be offering Highland Wool in 98 colors, including all colors offered last season.
6/10/2004 6:18:16 AM
Gathering on Salt Spring in September Alice and Les, you`ve done a great job of putting this all together, and I`d be honored to come as your honorary attendee on one of the Sundays - just let me know, as the dates get closer, which Sunday would be better for the group.
6/10/2004 1:36:56 PM
To Ann Canon-Brown Hi Heather,
No, I`m sorry - we brought in all they had.
6/14/2004 6:31:15 AM
The joke was on me! Congratulations on a happy milestone, Les! You must feel very blessed to have such friends.
6/15/2004 6:53:32 PM
Is anybody a machine knitter? Hi Carrie,
I always do my ribbings by hand too. Once you watch the Bond video, all will become clear to you. After you hang your weight, just do a few rows with waste yarn, and then after you`ve knit your main piece, just pick up the stitches at the bottom of your work, and knit the rib by hand downwards.
6/17/2004 7:20:56 AM
Ample laughter It`s funny, Cate, but I know it`s maddening too when yarn manufacturers don`t write patterns with non-model bodies in mind! Oh well, on the bright side, it forces us to be better knitters when we rise to the challenge of adapting patterns to our own measurements, and I always think of those oft-forgotten also marginalized tiny people who have trouble finding adult patterns to fit them. I picture one of them logging on, and thinking - right on! e.g. last November, Kristi posted that she is a size 4/6.
6/18/2004 5:13:12 PM
Ann, is it true, is White Buffalo going to be gone forever? Yes, I believe White Buffalo is being discontinued entirely. It`s made by Spinrinte, who are still in business, but it`s sad news indeed when a yarn that has been around since your childhood disappears. Fear not, however, we have brought in one last shipment of 6 ply in 9012 Seal Beige Heather, 9018 Straw, 9019 Deep Gold, 9024 Rust, 9025 Deep Rust, 9030 Olive, 9040 Ice Aqua, 9045 Slate, 9048 Turquoise, 9049 Soft Turquoise, and 9066 Ice Rose. I had thought about saving it until at least August, as if any yarn is a 100% winter yarn, it has to be this one!
6/20/2004 10:11:50 AM
Timo color question It`s somewhere between sand and gold - I would describe it as having golden sand tones.
6/21/2004 4:17:19 PM
Gauge on the Bond knitting machine? I have no experience on machines other than the Bond, but to the best of my knowledge, machine knitters would call its gauge "bulky". Using 4 different keyplates, it knits yarns ranging in weight from sport (24 st/4") to bulky (14 st/4"). Bond used to make a finer gauge machine(about mid-gauge, I believe), which did have a garter bar accessory, but I believe they no longer offer the finer gauge version of their product. The finer gauge Bond used to be more like what we traditionally think of as a knitting "machine", in that it had a tension device. The heavier Bond, the Ultimate Sweater Machine, offered by Elann, produces a fabric much more like hand-knit fabric than machine-knit fabric, as it has no tension device - tension is controlled competely by the knitter. There is no garter bar available for it, to the best of my knowledge. Most hand-knitters who use Bonds like them because they can use them do the large stockinette pieces quickly, and then add garter, rib, and fancy patterns by hand.
6/22/2004 7:09:16 PM
Yarn twisting - is this okay? No reason whatsoever, Benne - whichever way the yarn twist + your own throwing twist makes the yarn unwind most smoothly is best.
6/22/2004 7:12:17 PM
Cables and Lace Pattern Trouble Hello Debbie,
Diane and I will look at the pattern and get back to you about it by tomorrow. Thanks for bringing this to our attention!
6/23/2004 9:15:20 PM
Ann - re colors The luminous jadeite is a combination of deep and mid tones of dusty jade green. Goa has a rich sheen, which gives its colors life, and the two-tone combinations add depth and range.
6/29/2004 7:29:22 AM
Color Names - Ann? Hi Cate,
Some yarn companies make up their own names (e.g. Classic Elite, Jo Sharp), but most don`t, so Diane and I just make them up! We`ve seen some pretty exotic ones out there, that sometimes don`t give you much of a clue about what the actual color is, so we attempt to be fresh, while still being accurately descriptive.
6/29/2004 11:21:32 AM
Question for Ann - Filatura di Crosa City Knits Hi Benne,
I`m sorry, but we don`t routinely order in TSC pattern collections, unless they feature a TSC yarn we`re offering.
6/29/2004 5:55:13 PM
austerman Accapella It`s very, very soft, Libby, because the mohair in it is kid mohair, which also gives it a wonderful lustre.
6/29/2004 5:59:13 PM
I`m dying to get my newsletter and samples! You`re too funny, Benne! We mail the samples on the last Tuesday of each month, so they`re on their way to you today!
7/1/2004 8:16:26 AM
Sneak Peek section? Hello Martha,
Sorry to have disappointed you, but yes it does. When we originally conceived of sneak peek, it was to better show subscribers yarns that didn`t show well as snips (e.g. prints). At that time, there was no button on the website to link all customers to sneak peek - we let subscribers know about it by giving them the "secret" URL: http://secure.elann.com/sneakpeek.asp. The whole idea of a sneak peek page was enormously popular, but we received so many emails from subscribers who couldn`t get to the page or were confused by having to type in the secret URL, that we relented and made the button link. Since we`ve made the button, I`ve heard from many people, both subscribers and non-subscribers, who do appreciate it. It`s true that with the button both subscribers and non-subscribers can preview the closeout yarns, but subscribers who live in slow-to-mail-to-locations benefit from being able to see the yarns, if they have not yet received their newsletters. My thinking has always been that the main advantage of subscribing is that you get to see the up close and personal snips, which many people prefer to monitor images.
7/1/2004 9:36:05 AM
Sneak Peek section? Hi Lisa,
Though I`d dearly love to, I`m sorry, I can`t meet your wish here. I realize that the skein subscription means quite an investment up front, but as you say, if you`re a regular customer, it does come back to you quite quickly. The reality is that even with the price we charge for the subscription, it is a loss-leader. Most expensive is the cost of labor for hand winding those little skeins, second is the cost of the yarn, and then there`s packaging and mailing, and all on top of including vouchers to refund its purchase price . . . if we sent those packages out on spec, I fear we`d go under, and I`m hoping we`re around for you for a long time to come!
7/6/2004 7:38:06 AM
Knitting machine - patterns? I find it very easy to do this, Martha. Just be sure to always do a nice, large tension swatch on the machine for any yarn you`re using, as the machine tension will always be slightly different than your hand-knitting tension. With the machine swatch, it`s good to let it rest at least a day before measuring, so that the piece recovers fully from the stretching effect of the weight you must hang on it when you use the machine. It`s very important to measure the row gauge, as well as the stitch gauge, so that you can calculate exactly how many rows you`ll need to do on the machine. Because you must always hang a weight on your piece as you machine knit, it`s impossible to tell how long your piece actually is, until you take it off the machine, so accurate row gauge is essential! Once you know the stitch and row gauges per inch for your yarn, any pattern that has a good schematic diagram can be used. Simply multiply the number of inches in the diagram (both horizontal and vertical) by the stitches and row gauges you`ve calculated for your yarn.
pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25... Last