acb - all messages by user

12/5/2002 6:28:21 PM
washing cotton sweaters Have you ever had a cotton sweater grow or shrink when you washed it?

I haven`t ever found the above to be a problem, because I machine wash (gentle) and machine dry my cotton sweaters until almost dry, and then just finish drying them flat.

I`ve found that when I dry cotton sweaters flat from very wet, the weight of the sweater may make the garment larger than if I restore it to its dry size in a dryer.

The really wonderful thing about cotton is that contary to what many people think, it doesn`t actually shrink - it only compresses. If I ever leave a cotton sweater in the dryer so long that it comes out too small, I just wash it again (it de-compresses), dry it to almost dry in the dryer, and then lay it flat to re-shape back to my desired size.
12/7/2002 8:24:33 AM
washing cotton sweaters I`ve never used a sweater/lingerie bag for washing and drying, as I`ve always found cotton to be extremely durable.

I`ve found machine washing and drying to almost dry especially good for non-mercerized cottons -- you just need to be sure to allow for extra `shrinkage` (compression) in length with non-mercerized cottons (about 10-15%).

I always knit a swatch first, measuring its gauge and finished size before washing. I then machine wash and dry the swatch to almost dry, just as I would the finished garment, and measure the gauge and swatch size again, to calculate the extra percentage I`ll need to add to all the length measurements of the garment.
12/14/2002 8:46:34 AM
I am looking for Tahki Sable - black In addition to this chat center, there`s also another new section of the Elann website called the "Swap Center". By posting a message there, you`ll be able to reach other Elann customers who might have some Tahki Sable in black.

Once you`ve posted a message to the "Desperately Seeking" section, Elann will also have the reference in its database, and we will be able to contact you should any of the yarn you`re looking for become available.
1/20/2003 7:06:49 AM
Old yarns - need weight and yardage I believe Brunswick Ballybrae and Patons Ballybrae (see Elann`s Yarn Archive) are one and the same -- I think that some years ago, Patons bought the Brunswick mill and adopted the yarn under the Patons label.
1/23/2003 9:08:43 AM
Tahki Textures Volume #1 It`s actually available at this website! Just click "Patterns" under the "Patterns" heading on the left menu frame, and choose "Tahki" as your "Company" criteria, and you`ll get a link to it.
1/30/2003 7:09:46 AM
washing cotton sweaters Animal fibres like wool behave much differently than plant fibres like cotton, but after you machine wash superwash wool, you should be able to block the shape of your garment somewhat when you lay it flat to dry. I would recommend re-washing the garment, and then gently tugging widthways on the sleeves, so that they pull up a bit lengthways when you lay them flat to dry. When the garment is dry, you should find the sleeves are the length you shaped them to.
2/9/2003 7:42:53 AM
A Very Useful Site Thank you very much for posting about this site -- it`s a great resource, and I have just added it to Elann`s "Links" page under the heading "Technical Info".
3/1/2003 8:34:41 AM
Term "gassed" means? Gassing, like mercerization, adds sheen and polish to the finish of the cotton. Here`s a definition from
http://www.fibre2fashion.com/GLOSSARY/glossary7.htm :
"Gassed Yarn - A Yarn That Has Been Passed Through A Flame Or Over A Heated Element To Remove Surface Fibres."
3/9/2003 8:42:50 AM
White Buffalo Unspun Wool Hello Dixie,

There`s a wealth of discussion about White Buffalo at this chat center. You can find it easily by typing the words "White Buffalo" into the "Search" function, which will produce all posts on the topic to date. I`d *strongly* recommend *not* pulling the yarn from the inside of the cake. Instead, work from the outside of the cake, unwinding a yard or two before you knit each row. If you do this, I`d be surprised if you any breakage at all. There`s also an excellent review of White Buffalo yarn at the Knitter`s Review site at ww.knittersreview.com/article_yarn.asp?article=/review/product/020905_a.asp.
5/9/2003 7:25:31 AM
Euroflax Heathers 100% linen My suggestion would be to use the linen single-stranded. I would use any needle size that produces a fabric you like, then find a pattern to match the gauge you`ve produced. I would try several swatches, and I would wash and machine dry them before making my final decision. Keep in mind that linen is crisper than most fibers, and can hold a fairly loose gauge nicely.
5/12/2003 7:14:52 AM
Cardigan pattern All Valeria di Roma designs shown in the May newsletter are from the Spring/Summer 2002 Valeria di Roma Collection. It will be available for ordering from this website starting May 13th.
Cardigan Pattern All Valeria di Roma designs shown in the May newsletter are from the Spring/Summer 2002 Valeria di Roma Collection. It will be available for ordering from this website starting May 13th.
Cardigan Pattern All Valeria di Roma designs shown in the May newsletter are from the Spring/Summer 2002 Valeria di Roma Collection. It will be available for ordering from this website starting May 13th.
5/29/2003 6:20:39 PM
cotton descriptions Cotton flake has a thick and thin texture - the "nubs" tend to be bumps of unspun soft cotton, and there are also usually parts of the yarn that are thinner and more tightly spun, thus producing the texture.

For an extensive and informative page all about yarn counts and thicknesses, visit http://www.yarns-and.com/yarnto.htm. The whole page is great, and the bottom, in particular, discusses cotton counts.
5/29/2003 6:22:11 PM
hi Also see "Fibre Facts" under the "Info" heading on the left menu frame at elann.com.
hi Also see "Fibre Facts" under the "Info" heading on the left menu frame at elann.com.
Hi Also see "Fibre Facts" under the "Info" heading on the left menu frame at elann.com.
Hi Also see "Fibre Facts" under the "Info" heading on the left menu frame at elann.com.
9/30/2003 6:27:40 AM
Cables And Lace Cardigan Pattern from elann.com Hello Eve,

Yes, there is an errata for Row 4 of the stitch pattern, which now comes on a separate piece of paper with each copy of the pattern. Since you purchased the pattern before we discovered the error, I did send you an email with this correction on August 18th, but perhaps the email was lost - my apologies for your frustration in not receiving it.

There should be an additional "K1" at the end of each repeat for Row 4 of the pattern stitch - it should read:

Row 4: K2, * yo, sl 1, K2 tog, psso, yo, K1, sl 3 sts to CN in back, K3, K3 from CN, K1; repeat from * ending yo, sl 1, K2 tog, psso, yo, K2.
pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25... Last