Gaile - all messages by user

12/8/2004 6:07:17 AM
How do they disappear before 6 am? My first post here - I just logged in and was waiting for 6 am, violet and seashell pink Naturgarn were gone before I even had a chance to see them!

:-(

How does that happen?
12/8/2004 6:17:39 AM
How do they disappear before 6 am? Talking to myself... (and I think it was bright pink not seashell). Anyway - I guess I was too quick for myself. I refreshed my browser after the yarn first showed up and saw all the colours. And got what I wanted (but probably didn`t really need, but you never know...) I love Elann as much as I love the YS I work in!
12/8/2004 12:34:24 PM
How do they disappear before 6 am? Hello again!

MacChick, I`m in Vancouver BC. I actually set my alarm and got up at 6am to make sure I got colours I wanted. It was the bright pink I was thinking of when I said seashell (hour of the morning and no coffee in me made thinking difficult). I think I ended up with all the colours I wanted, including several of the blues, the bright pink, the violet and aubergine. I love making felted bags from this yarn, and the YS I work in doesn`t carry all the different colours.

Ponchos are great fun to make, this past year I made them for both my daughters.

Laura - you aren`t being rude, never fear! Gjestal makes a gorgeous felted bag that is quite heavy duty. I`ve done several different bags and am currently knitting a kitty bed (in the round).
12/8/2004 1:53:35 PM
Who wants to bet which color of baby silk goes next? Hurray! I managed to get 3 balls of the cornflower when I was here this morning getting the Gjestal Naturgarn. I am hoping it`s as pretty in person as it was on my monitor.

(I`ve been reading hear for awhile, just haven`t posted) So many amazing knitters!
12/8/2004 1:54:18 PM
another white box I don`t leave those out in the open - too easy for the husband to start adding up how much yarn I`m stashing away!
12/8/2004 1:54:18 PM
Another white box I don`t leave those out in the open - too easy for the husband to start adding up how much yarn I`m stashing away!
12/8/2004 1:57:29 PM
Another white box I don`t leave those out in the open - too easy for the husband to start adding up how much yarn I`m stashing away!
12/8/2004 1:57:29 PM
another white box I don`t leave those out in the open - too easy for the husband to start adding up how much yarn I`m stashing away!
12/18/2004 12:18:31 PM
Denise needles - price on the rise? Someone in the U.S. mentioned to me that the price on Denise needle sets will be rising on January 1st. She didn`t say how significant the increase would be, however since she was buying for a yarn shop, I`m assuming she has insider info! I`ve put off buying these for the longest time, but am thinking that this may be the time to go for it. If you have Denise needles, what are your thoughts on them? I`d love to hear the pros and cons. My current favourite needles are my Addi Turbo and my Crystal Palace bamboo (I love the way the cable never twists because of that little ball bearing thing). I use Susan Bates Quicksilver occasionally as well, but normally avoid needles that feel "plastic". Do the Denise needles feel this way?
12/18/2004 12:23:28 PM
Got My Baby Silk... I bought the cornflower baby silk, but (DUH) only bought 3. I`m thinking that won`t be enough for the flower basket shawl from IK, which is what I`d been thinking of using it for. :-(

Would it look odd made smaller? Or other ideas?
12/19/2004 12:13:03 AM
Denise needles - price on the rise? Hi Kim

Actually, I`ve been knitting on and off for about 30 years and have a ton of needles. About half are from my early knitting days (Aero brand). The rest are more recent and run the gamut. I think I`m a collector at heart, and the Denise set would give me the larger sizes with longer cables that I don`t have too many of. Most of my Addi Turbo and CP circs are under 35". Thanks for the input - I think I may try to pick up a set soon, since I`ve been looking at them for ages.

Gaile
1/26/2005 3:06:29 PM
Berroco Pronto as replacement for GGH Goa? I promised my daughter I`d knit her a cabled sweater from a Rebecca magazine. The yarn called for is GGH Goa, which I`ve used before and knits up beautifully. Today I received the February Elann Newsletter and saw Berrroco Pronto, which looks almost identical to GGH Goa and is also a German yarn. I`m thinking it would be the perfect substitute - I guess my question is has anyone knit with Pronto and what did you like or not like about it? Personally I`m loving the price, but this sweater will take me a bit to knit, and so I want it to look good after washing and wearing.

GGH Goa is: 50% Cotton
50% Microfiber
Approx. 66 yds/50g
Gauge: 3.5 sts/1in
Needle: 5 - 6mm (US 8-10)
Machine Washable

Berocco Pronto is: 50% Cotton
50% Acrylic
Approx. 55 yds/50g
Gauge: 3.25 sts/1in
Needle: 6.5mm (US 10.5)
Machine Wash Gentle

Opinions?

Thanks!

Gaile
http://knit.eclecticpixels.com
1/27/2005 11:28:21 AM
Do we get Feb Samples this week? You mean the newsletter with the samples attached? I got mine yesterday. The colours are gorgeous!

I wrote a post (yesterday) about using Berroco Pronto as a replacement for GGH Goa, but I am thinking there`s no-one here that`s seen both yarns since nobody has replied.

The more I think about it and check the samples against the Goa I have in stock, the more I see it would work, and Rebecca books are full of patterns that require Goa, so anyone with those in their library should take a peek.

January`s newsletter reminded me that I still have 13 balls of Quechua (auborgine) languishing in a bag. I need to think of a project for that yarn!
6/15/2005 1:58:28 PM
Toni?? Is that the Two Old Bags Felted Tote pattern? I love the colours you used. Very pretty!
6/15/2005 2:01:03 PM
WOW! MacChick Absolutely gorgeous - I`d love to see more photos (and a model)!
6/15/2005 2:07:05 PM
Who`s going to Mayfair? I bought the Avocado shade. My daughter has been wanting this knitty pattern (http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEwinter03/PATTshimmer.html) for awhile and we decided that Mayfair was perfect for it.
6/16/2005 12:17:44 AM
Who`s going to Mayfair? Benne - Regarding the fish blanket pattern. Knitting Arrows blog states that she`s developing several patterns for Magknits that will be released in the November issue. She took her original pattern down until then. You can read more here: http://knittingarrows.blogspot.com/2005/06/fish.html

I just googled for "tessellating fish knit" and found the pattern posted elsewhere. I`m not sure if they have the permission of the pattern author, so I won`t post the link, but it`s not hard to find.

The original pattern was called "Festive Fish" and is from an OOP Knitter`s Magazine (#51, Summer 1998).
6/16/2005 11:21:47 AM
Who`s going to Mayfair? Actually - I`m waiting to see what she comes up with too. I only googled because I was curious (that and the fact that my family calls me the human search engine).

I have far too many things on the go. I need to finish more items. Which is why I keep backing away from that gorgeous Pakucho cotton. Maybe it`ll sell out and I will cease to be tempted! Of course, then I`ll show up for work (I work in a yarn shop one day a week), and be tempted there too, but such is life!
6/17/2005 5:23:30 PM
Cabled purse gift idea? I just submitted a photo of the one I knit. I`ve actually made two now. I`m just lining the second, which is a little different (lighter weight yarn, and has bamboo rings for handles). You can read about the first one I made here: http://knit.eclecticpixels.com/index.php?id=P148

There`s a link to the pattern I used, and if you read that blog post, I explain what I did differently and how I made the handles.

Hope this helps!
6/18/2005 6:30:34 PM
MacChick...Fabulous shawl & modeling! It`s gorgeous! Thanks for showing how it looks on - I love it even more.

Gaile
pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20