ecasey - all messages by user

5/20/2003 12:21:40 PM
Hello All, and looking for filatura di crosa brilla in platinum I`ve been buying from this site for quite a while, but this is my first message! Just wanted to say "Hello!", and that it`s great to have other knitters to chat to - I`ve been knitting for 20 years, but at 26 I still suffer from the embarrassment of people making fun of me and my knitting as a "granny`s pastime" - not so!! I`ve recently moved to the US from Ireland, and if anyone wants/needs UK or Irish yarn or Irish patterns (traditional aran projects in particular) - just let me know!
5/21/2003 9:17:05 AM
Hello All, and looking for filatura di crosa brilla in platinum Nice to meet you Tam! And I agree - people might tease initially, but once they see what you can do with two needles or a hook and a bit of yarn, they`re awe-struck!! I`m about in the same boat as you when it comes to lack of knitting amenities here (Long Island) - it was a bit of a shock, as back home (in Ireland) the hand-knitting tradition is still carried on. It`s certainly not what it was, but my mum and my granny can knit and crochet to a very high standard, and most of my friends are at least familiar with a pair of needles. Perhaps I should start up a Knitters` Anonymous here to see if anyone comes out of the woodwork! Heehee
5/23/2003 2:56:03 PM
pattern Hi Paloma - I have a new pattern sent to me from Ireland for a long (37 inch) straight skirt in stockinette stitch (with a double moss stitch hem). It`s very, very simple. In fact, would only take me a few mins to type out the pattern instructions if you wanted them emailed.
PATTERN Hi Paloma - I have a new pattern sent to me from Ireland for a long (37 inch) straight skirt in stockinette stitch (with a double moss stitch hem). It`s very, very simple. In fact, would only take me a few mins to type out the pattern instructions if you wanted them emailed.
pattern Hi Paloma - I have a new pattern sent to me from Ireland for a long (37 inch) straight skirt in stockinette stitch (with a double moss stitch hem). It`s very, very simple. In fact, would only take me a few mins to type out the pattern instructions if you wanted them emailed.
Pattern Hi Paloma - I have a new pattern sent to me from Ireland for a long (37 inch) straight skirt in stockinette stitch (with a double moss stitch hem). It`s very, very simple. In fact, would only take me a few mins to type out the pattern instructions if you wanted them emailed.
5/26/2003 12:50:28 PM
Hello All, and looking for filatura di crosa brilla in platinum Hi Debbie - great to meet you! I have a lot aran of patterns, new ones and others from the 60s, 70s and 80s that belonged to my Mum and Granny. You can email me at e_beggs@hotmail.com - speak to you soon! :-)
5/27/2003 1:00:55 PM
droopy tanktop w/Filatura Di Crosa Brilla Yarn The elastic idea the other reply mentioned seems about the best bet. Just wanted to know, as I`m knitting a sweater for my Mum at the moment in the brilla yarn - is the tank top drooping due to the weight of the yarn? I didn`t think it was so heavy as it`s not all cotton, but then I`m only halfway through the back. If it`s as heavy as that I might consider making the sweater a wee bit shorter to compensate.
5/29/2003 2:39:09 PM
looking for form fitting sweater advice Hi Carola - I had a few thoughts on this. Firstly, perhaps using a yarn that is a blend and has some man-made fibre in it might be a thought, as cotton will tend to stretch. Also, ribbing is a good idea - there was a pattern for a sleevless top in the latest issue of Knit It (it says "2002 - displayed until March 25th" on cover). It is done mainly in a wide rib, with a cable up the front - looks quite clingy on the model. It`s a turtle neck, but that`s easily changed. There`s also a very pretty intarsia halter top in the Spring issue of FC Easy Knitting - it has elastic woven through to insure a snug fit. Knitting a size smaller as the other lady suggests might be an option too, or you might choose a pattern that has shaping in it (a fitted waist, or an A-line silhouette, or whatever) - or if it`s not already there, it`s pretty easy to add in yourself with decreases and increases. Well, that`s about all I can come up with for now - good luck!
5/30/2003 11:43:00 AM
looking for form fitting sweater advice I noticed a sleeveless ribbed top called Paulina at Berroco.com that might be just the thing. There was also a very form-fitting horizontally and vertically ribbed top called Titania - it has long sleeves but could easily be adapted. They`re in the free patterns section.
6/4/2003 1:22:05 PM
Cast-On Methods Lace Knitting? Intricate cables? Intarsia?? No problem at all!! However, it came to my attention last Christmas (I was bought my first knitting book - up until then I`d never read any knitting books or magazines in my 20 years of knitting!) that I am embarrassingly lacking in the old cast-on department! I was taught "knitted cast-on" as a 6 year-old child (where you knit into the st on left needle, pull loop with right needle, place it on left needle and tighten) - and that and the very simple looping a strand around your thumb methods were the only two I knew that existed! Well, now I know different! Trouble is - though I have several books now with all the 5 million ways of casting on, I have real trouble following the diagrams. I`m increasingly frustrated with my same old cast-on, as I know there are better methods for different projects. Haven`t been able to find that much on the web either - does anyone know a really good resource for teaching cast-on to an advanced knitter who is diagranmmically challenged???? Which methods does everyone out there favour? Thanks!
6/5/2003 8:58:25 PM
Cast-On Methods Hurrah! Thanks for your suggestions! I saw a little video clip on an about.com site last night, and had learned the "two-tail cast on" in seconds - after months of staring at a page blankly! DOH! I think that might be your "sling-shot", is it - it has a sort of rocking motion involving the thumb. THEN, I read a site that explained cable cast-on really, really simply - it`s almost the same as knitted cast-on, I can`t believe I just couldn`t "get" it from looking at books! I don`t think I`ll ever have the patience for tubular cast-on (I think it`s called continental cast-on somewhere else - that`s another thing about the cast-ons - I`m never sure which is which! heehee), but another place I read said that if you use cable cast-on in rib it is almost identical (and much less fussy) to tubular. I was using my three new cast-ons all last night - all delighted with myself! The internet`s great - where else could you instantly find knitting video clips?! Now that I`ve learned the two-tail, I don`t think I`ll ever go back - just have to convince my Mum to put her inelastic old knitted cast-on out of its misery now!
6/12/2003 8:16:45 AM
While we`re on the subject of storage Has anyone seen any useful (and affordable) looking knitting bags? Any I`ve seen are far too expensive, and have too many fiddly weee pockets anyway. At the mo all my knitting is in one of those massive plastic zip-close bags you get for laundry at the dollar store - but it`s far too bulky, traps the air which I`m always having to squeeze out, and the cats can`t stay away from it!

PS I don`t really use circulars (just for necklines), so haven`t any advice to offer on that. For straight needles, though, I find those rigid cardboard tubes with removable lids that posters come in are just the thing.
6/13/2003 1:17:14 PM
My thoughts on ordering from Elann I just ordered 3 more pairs of Addi Turbos, so now I`ve managed to gather up a full set in a piecemeal fashion. Now, I know they`re expensive for knitting needles, but compared to say buying silk sheets over polyester, they cost practically nothing! So why is it that I still get a heady thrill of guilty delight when I order products from here - it`s not like they charge nearly as much as other knitting sites. My theory? Knitting has become a guilty pleasure from all my years of hiding my hobby as a teenager and young adult (peers thinking it`s for grannies, etc.) - and now I can`t help feeling like I`m doing something illicit, even when the prices are, er, "licit". If it was just run of the mill acrylic yarn I was buying, I probably wouldn`t feel this why - but everything is just so wonderfully decadent! I haven`t even nearly reached the "$50.00 free" stage here yet - but I think when that happens I just might pass out... has anyone got to that Knitting Nirvana yet?!? Hee hee, well, those are my thoughts - just wanted to share them! :-)
6/13/2003 1:28:20 PM
Latest dye project and NEW BOOKS! I`m in the Crafter`s Choice book club too, Tam - it`s great isn`t it? I got the "Knitting Stitch Bible" too, with the handy little notebook (that looks so pretty I don`t want to use it). I also got the "Vogue Ultimate Book of Knitting", "Big Book of Knitting", and "How To Crochet" (for my Mum - she`s a good crocheter, but her instructer taught them in "sticks" instead of the proper stich names, and now she gets confused and can`t follow a pattern). How is the "Hollywood Knits" book? I was thinking of ordering it, then saw the poor reviews it got - let me know what you think of it! I think I might get that book on finishing next - "Ultimate Book of Finishing" or something - it`s an area I could definitely improve in.
6/15/2003 4:40:32 PM
My thoughts on ordering from Elann I`d never even heard of Addi Turbos until a few months ago - like I said somewhere here before, I always just used yarn that my Mum had, and her coated aluminium needles and her aran patterns. I was an advanced knitter, but hadn`t really looked into the diversity of knitting. Now that I`m 3000 miles away from my Mum I`m going mad experimenting!! I`d bought the casein needles and liked the look of them, but didn`t overly like to knit with them - I couldn`t tell why. It was then that I did some research into needles, and realised that it was because they are "grabbier" than the aluminium I was used to. So then I stumbled on Addi Turbos, ordered a couple of pairs (I was sceptical and didn`t think they could make that much of a difference) and was pleasantly surprised. They really were so smooth, effortless and quick! I really, really like knitting with them. Even when I`m doing intricate cable/aran work, where I should use a slower needle, I just love using them. Haven`t tried the crochet hooks yet - that might be next.

Fran - you`ve built up the $50.00 discount 3 times before?!? Do you live in a warehouse?!? heehee
I think you must be the undisputed Queen of Elann!
6/15/2003 4:43:54 PM
Latest dye project and NEW BOOKS! Nice review Tam, I might check Hollywood Knits out next - it doesn`t sound at all bad. I haven`t received the Vogue Ultimate Knitting book yet - I ordered it with my initial order about 3 months ago, but it`s been out of stock. Hopefully I`ll get it soon. According to just about every review I`ve seen, it seems to be a must-have.
6/15/2003 4:46:48 PM
Which Magazines? Right now I just buy every knitting magazine I see in my local supermarket - these are FCEK, Knit `n` Style, and Knit It. AWasn`t that impressed by Knit It, and I liked the patterns in Knit `n` Style, but they seemed a bit stingy with their features/articles. Are there any other magazines that I should absolutely subscribe to??
pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25... Last