Darla - all messages by user

1/11/2003 7:16:47 PM
washing cotton sweaters Does this apply to wool as well. I washed my LeFibre Nobili superwash sweater in a bag in the washer and then layed it flat to dry. The body is fine, but the sleeves have stretched. Regret, regret. I probably should have hand washed it.
5/2/2003 5:30:28 PM
Cable needle sets I`ve been looking at the Needlemaster set in a Mary Maxim catalogue. The set is aluminum needle points with cable lengths so you can mix and match them. The set is $90 so I would love some sort of endorsement before I jump into it. I`ve had some cable needles that had too much of a ridge between the needle and the cable and I didn`t like that. And I`ve had some aluminum needles that lost their finish and started "scraping" and I didn`t like that either. So, as you can tell, I`m picky. I`m from a small town: 2 1/2 hours to the nearest knitting store and no knitting guild or club and not one other knitter in my acquaintance. If anyone out there has some experience with this needle set or something similar, I`d love to know about it. Thanks.
5/8/2003 11:13:31 AM
Cable needle sets Thanks for the feedback. I`m going to take a look at ebay and see what comes up.
5/27/2003 11:12:36 AM
droopy tanktop w/Filatura Di Crosa Brilla Yarn I have fequently used a fine elastic to tighten up neck-lines and armholes (on my own knits and those from stores). The elastic is thicker than thread but easy to use with a needle. Just do all your work on the back side where it can`t be seen. You can find the elastic at fabric shops, but as far as I know it only comes in black and white. Good luck.
6/10/2003 5:34:54 PM
Help - neckline curls I`m not great with crochet, but I have tried a few things (and the nice thing is that it is so easy to rip out). You could try another row of crochet and skip some stitches in your pickup so that it pulls together. You could also run some thin elastic along the wrong side; I use that alot. Best of luck.
6/15/2003 6:39:49 PM
Which Magazines? I subscribe to Vogue and FCEK. I also buy every other knitting magazine I see on a shelf, but I don`t subscribe to all of them. I have a bit of a problem with Interweave as they give their yarn info in wpi and that doesn`t help me at all. I had a similar problem with Knitters, but supposedly they are going to a new format and will be supplying more yarn info. I actually knit 3 items from the first Knit It! magazine. I wasn`t as struck with the second, but I`ll definitely buy another one.

About a year ago I sorted my "library" of knitting patterns. I filed the magazines by date and then I numbered them. Then I started at the beginning and noted the magazine number and page of any project I thought I might do someday or technical article I thought I might need. Now when I get a new magazine, I read it and then number it and note interesting projects or articles. (Now you know how the truly knitting obsessed live).
6/16/2003 4:50:56 PM
Demographic curiosity I am the only knitter I know. I`m from a town of 3000 so there is no knitting shop or knitting guild. I know there must be other people who knit because the magazines disappear from the shelves of our General Store, but I`ve never met anyone. I find that nonknitters are very curious about my knitting. I`m 39 and I`m an accountant by trade, but I`m home with my young children. I have four of those aged 5,7,9,11. I learned to knit at a knitting class when I was 23 and we lived in a larger city. My only other major hobby is running. No one in my family knits although my Grandmother who passed away before I was born was said to knit more than she cooked or cleaned (yeah Grandma!).

I`m very curious about other knitters. Anyone else?
6/17/2003 8:34:19 AM
Gallery? I would really enjoy that!
6/17/2003 9:06:11 AM
Demographic curiosity I have some questions about teaching an informal class. Various people at my church have also said, "You`ll have to teach me to knit some day." I haven`t been able to decide if they are being polite or if they are really serious. The more persistant are the pastor`s daughters, ages 10 and 13, and my own oldest daughter, age 7. Now my questions: Did you pick a project for them or did they choose something? (When I took a class, the first thing I knit was a sweater complete with shaping and collar, but the instructor didn`t give any yarn advice so I had a summer sweater in a heavy winter yarn). Did you pick up some printed instructions so that they would have reference at home? How many people did you teach at one time? I may just take the plunge and offer to teach if I feel confident enough.
6/17/2003 9:43:51 PM
Ouch For the second time in my knitting history I have cut a finger so badly that I can`t knit. The first time it was much worse and I was off for several weeks; I finished a cross-stitch that had gathered dust for three years. This time I`m guessing I`ll only be off for a week or so. I have compensated by ordering more yarn. I thought I`d feel better if I complained in a forum where people truly understand. Without this form of relaxation, I don`t relax. Bless his heart, my husband pretty much understands as well.
6/18/2003 11:59:48 AM
Ouch I`m already on the mend. Too tender to knit, but able to do all the other chores of the day. Thanks for the sympathy. I know you understand the what the temporary loss of a fingertip means. Thanks.
6/19/2003 5:33:36 PM
WIP I enjoyed reading about Tam`s and Fran`s WIP (way down this page under storage of circular needles). It made me think it might be interesting to hear what other`s WIP are.

My first project is a summer T from Knitters Spring 2002; I`m using Mama Mia from elann. The pattern has a neat little two color border with cables. You don`t cross at the color changes so it creates windows in the fabric. My next project is a tank from the cover of Knitters Summer 2002; I`m using Gedifra Topas purchased from elann. I`m back to square one with that project because it turned out too wide even though I did the swatch and the math. I do knit loose and the more comfortable I am with a pattern the looser it becomes. I did the unwinding after some advice about how to almost knit while I can`t due to a sore finger. I also purchased but haven`t received some "Zoom" from elann. I`m going to knit the pattern that comes with it. So my summer knitting is all about me. My last four projects were one for my husband and three for my kids.

What are other people knitting today?
6/23/2003 8:13:40 AM
Crafter`s Choice If you have one of your mailings (not the single sheets, but the main one), there should be a phone number inside the back page. You will be able to talk to someone, but be prepared to be on hold. I had lots of trouble with my introductory order as well, as some of it was delayed and when it did come, they charged me for it. However, that said, they did make it right. I got my introductory order and then met my commitment and then quit the club. I did get some very nice books. If you need the number I`m sure someone here will have it, but remember that the Canadian and US numbers are different now.
6/23/2003 9:44:30 AM
Austermann Zoom I`d like an opinion on this. I`m going to knit the "featured design" with Austermann Zoom (about 3rd down on the what`s new list). I ordered dark blue and light blue. The design color blocks the sweater vertically and I`m wondering if it would be more flattering if I did the colors horizontally, the bottom half of the sweater in dark blue and the top half in light blue. Any opinions on whether it will make any difference?
6/23/2003 9:44:30 AM
Austermann Zoom I`d like an opinion on this. I`m going to knit the "featured design" with Austermann Zoom (about 3rd down on the what`s new list). I ordered dark blue and light blue. The design color blocks the sweater vertically and I`m wondering if it would be more flattering if I did the colors horizontally, the bottom half of the sweater in dark blue and the top half in light blue. Any opinions on whether it will make any difference?
6/23/2003 9:46:49 AM
WIP I looked at the Moonlight at Her Window pattern and it is beautiful. I`m going to look again in the winter and see if I`m up to such a challenge.
6/25/2003 8:26:00 AM
Austermann Zoom Are you knitting the same sweater with the Zoom and the pattern that came with it. I`m curious what you think of it. I usually go for mercerized cotton or a blend that feels like it, so this is my first experience with a novelty yarn. I`m finding a big difference between my two colors. They look the same on the ball, but in knitting the dark blue is shinier, softer and smoother than the light blue. What colors are you using and what do you think?
6/25/2003 8:26:00 AM
Austermann Zoom Are you knitting the same sweater with the Zoom and the pattern that came with it. I`m curious what you think of it. I usually go for mercerized cotton or a blend that feels like it, so this is my first experience with a novelty yarn. I`m finding a big difference between my two colors. They look the same on the ball, but in knitting the dark blue is shinier, softer and smoother than the light blue. What colors are you using and what do you think?
6/27/2003 10:51:28 PM
Nothing pressing but.................... We may all be addicted to knitting, but it`s a healthy thing (like exercise and good food). So many days everything I do is undone by the next day - the clean dishes are dirty again, the clean floor has doggy footprints, food is eaten, clothes are back in the laundry basket. BUT, those few rows I managed to get onto a sweater are still there and I can add a few more. And lo and behold, I`ve got something lasting.
6/29/2003 10:34:00 PM
Nothing pressing but.................... Recently finished: an aran sweater for my husband, a lacy summer cardigan for my oldest daughter, matching spring sweaters with beaded fringe for both my daughters. My sons are in need, but don`t wear sweaters as much as the rest of us. On the needles now: two tank tops and a summer sweater for me.
pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9