bets - all messages by user

7/28/2003 7:03:23 PM
Austermann Zoom Hi-

Do you like it? (Mine may end up as something else...like a tote bag or something) are you glad you made it?
B
8/4/2003 3:50:36 PM
Did you get your Socka Tam? Oh geez....

As soon as I said "Thursday is always sock day!" (and it had been, historically, for MONTHS it seems,) suddenly, there was no Socka to be found. Make a liar outta me, I`m ok with that, just so long as Tam gets her Socka!
8/8/2003 3:59:46 AM
Did you get your Socka Tam? Just to goof me up! I ALWAYS want what`s on Monday...now my whole WORLD is katty-wampus!
8/12/2003 8:05:36 PM
filatura di crosa - missoni Which Missoni yarn in what color? Could we have a general description please?
8/12/2003 8:07:12 PM
Kuryeon yarn--doh! It took me FOREVER to figure out that the name of this yarn is actually CRAYON. Like Himaraya is Himalaya, and Kureopatra is Cleopatra....geez, THAT took FOREVER.
8/21/2003 4:33:12 PM
gauge Hi!

That`s odd tension-usually they don`t measure the ribbing for tension. Anyhow, it looks to be about worsted weight-which is usually 20 st per 4" (10 cm) in stocking/stockinette/jersey stitch. Swatch it and check. Do you have a needle size?

Bets
gauge Hi!

That`s odd tension-usually they don`t measure the ribbing for tension. Anyhow, it looks to be about worsted weight-which is usually 20 st per 4" (10 cm) in stocking/stockinette/jersey stitch. Swatch it and check. Do you have a needle size?

Bets
gauge Hi!

Bets
gauge Hi!

Bets
8/27/2003 3:52:44 PM
What`s with all these drop stitch patterns??? Well, who knows. Besides me being far too old/out of shape/plastic surgery-less, there`s the issue of all those stupid holes snagging EVERYTHING. BUT, in Europe, the cotton knit camisole is a big seller, and with all those tops, I guess I know why. You can get something similar on-line at Sierra Trading Post. The other thing I recommend is a skin toned all-in-one...but I sure don`t want to wear one today-it`s 100 out, and who wants all that cruddy nylon to sweat in?
9/2/2003 7:01:31 PM
what not to wear......all these patterns!!!!Like the neblina turtle! I am a BIG fan of BBC`s "What Not to Wear", (NOT the dorky US version) because after 20 years of military service, I need some HELP getting dressed in the morning. (I`m 20 years older and 35 pounds heavier than when I joined up!) I went out and bought the book at my local bookstore, and sheesh, a good 60% of the patterns out there are "against the rules!" I had fallen in love with the Reynolds "Circle" tops, but decided the last thing I need is a target over my larger than necessary mid-section. Can anyone recommend a yarn company that goes for sleek and tailored? (Not skimpy, mind you, or those holy "holey" things we were talking about last week...I`m in my 40s now and don`t wish to scare people!) I rather like Adrienne Vittadini, because she`s got very strong lines. The last thing I want to do is waste good time and great yarn making something that makes me look and feel like 50 lbs of potatoes in a 25 lb bag!
9/2/2003 7:03:46 PM
what not to wear......all these patterns!!!!Like the neblina turtle! Ok, I spelled the yarn wrong it`s niebla...red faced.
9/2/2003 7:16:19 PM
Glove needles I think Schachenmayr makes little needles-maybe 4" long, for toes and fingers...does that help? Patternworks has some 4" needles, and Woodland Woolworks may, but I can`t get the catalog to load. Don`t be surprised though, they are spendy!
9/3/2003 4:23:53 PM
what not to wear......all these patterns!!!!Like the neblina turtle! Hi!

I am fairly good at tweaking basic patterns-I owned Maggie in the 80s, and own the fabulous Mrs. Z now, but somedays I just want it to look like the picture, darn it! I buy AV and substitute yarn from (guess where....!) The general consensus seems to be "If you want something done right, do it yourself!" Ok, ok! I do get tired of having to struggle to meet gauge (I knit VERY loosely). I just bought that new template book, (can`t think of the publisher) where you fill in the blanks to fit your gauge.

I gotta say, everyone comiserated with me on their figures, but everyone seems to have a big enough heart! Love y`all and your attitudes! B

Oh, and yes, miss ecasey some days I`m mad because I`m not in Europe too, AND I have a tumor on my sciatic! In my case, exercise does not adversely affect the pain level, it`s just talking myself into it, and a smaller range of motion. But if anyone wants to nominate me as a subject for the British version of "What not to wear" I`d be throwing my clothes in "the bin" and running down "high street" in my skivvies! ;-)
9/3/2003 4:27:18 PM
Glove needles Oh, Nancy,

Hurry hurry then! Give your sister a hug for us!

Bets
9/6/2003 5:38:35 AM
what not to wear......all these patterns!!!!Like the neblina turtle! Oh, Theresa!

No, I have never been emaciated-not gonna start NOW! I`ve been going to the gym like crazy, and as a result, the outstanding part of my body is no longer my tum, but MAN, ARE MY SHOULDERS HUGE! Still, thong underwear makes me feel like a sumo wrestler!

Well, make sure your shell does not HANG off you-then you will be an oil drum wearing a box. And if you can get BBC, watch the show while you knit...they use ORDINARY people. Of course, the presenters are a little obnoxious, but so am I!
9/8/2003 12:13:41 PM
what not to wear......all these patterns!!!!Like the neblina turtle! Sheesh! Theresa, that freckle description was too much info!!! LOL! On the tailored but not tight track, are you sure your undies aren`t too tight? (No, I AM being serious-stuff that is too tight spills over on me!) I`ve got size 12 shoulders + bust, size 8 butt and size 14 tummy. And I`m only 5`4" so the first thing you see is how WIDE my shoulders are. (But I can do men`s push-ups, so I think I earned them!) I can deal with the shoulders if I can sculpt a waist!

So to answer the question inverted triangle, pear, square, or apple, you are a squarish apple? Hmmmm...I haven`t knitted one, because I`m an inv. triangle/apple mix, and it would do me NO favors whatsoever, but do the tops that taper in from the hem work at all? Does anyone have any experience with this? (Bueller...?)

Whatever you pick, choose the neckline that flatters the HELL out of your face. Something that I`ve been anxious to try on (not necessarily knit, until I see how it works) is a wrapped top, or one with some ruching on the front or sides. According to WNTW, ruching is supposed to hide the chub-you can`t tell what`s you and what`s fabric. I would definitely test this out at the store BEFORE I knit one, tho. Wrapped tops are supposed to GIVE a visual waist. If there are any proponents or naysayers to THAT, speak up!
9/9/2003 3:57:02 PM
what not to wear......all these patterns!!!!Like the neblina turtle! Argghh-

ecasey, you sound like me, Theresa does too...I got the shoulders from the side that came from Bristol...come to think of it, the chest too. I`ve noticed that on most things, I need a shorter armhole-not junior sized, but certainly not regular-some weird in-between non-existent cut. Since we are close in stature (basically) what REALLY works for you?

Miss Tam, on the other hand, sounds like she needs to go to the Land`s End website and get some custom fitted chinos. They`re about 54.00, which sounds like a lot, but you`ve probably got 3 pairs of 30.00 pants in your closet now that you don`t wear because they don`t fit you properly, so maybe 54.00 isn`t outrageous, not if they fit well. Think about it.

Signing off from the fattest city in the US, which means I look SVELTE here in San Antonio
(that is SO sad!)
even when compared to many teen-agers...

Bets
9/10/2003 4:25:39 PM
Knitting meet-ups Berrocco (I think-or Lion Brand, I`m on both lists) sent a newsletter about knitting meet-ups, where everyone goes to a restaurant or some such, and shoots the breeze. Has anyone participated in one? The San Antonio ones always seem to get cancelled.

Bets
9/10/2003 4:27:03 PM
National knit-out Are there any special events going on in your neck of the woods?

Bets
pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25... Last