bets - all messages by user

12/29/2003 3:23:37 AM
What lovely things you people drive me to! Yay!
I fully expect to see a picture of DS wearing his beloved socks-if you crouch down from the toes and shoot up, that would be a fun picture! And I want to see some niece-y knits!

Bets
Who never expected to be a verb, but fully expects to be a cult!
12/29/2003 3:36:18 AM
why didn`t I buy that hat pattern when I saw it? Hi Cate-

If I were going to do this, I would measure the circumference of my victim`s head (it`s ok, they know I feed them). Then I would measure from that point to the crown. I would knit a cable strip to match the first measurement-don`t forget to put garter or moss stitch on the lower edge so it doesn`t roll, join it, and then work from there. I knit VERY loosely, so I would probably make the edge a `skosh smaller (1/2", and the forehead to crown a little longer (1". I don`t know quite what you mean by "it`s doubled" but if you knit a 4" strip with a 1 1/2" cable on one edge, you could probably fold it in half (but that sounds like pain) and then pick up. About 2" from your top, start decreasing the rounds gently, and the last 3 rows, dec like crazy! You could probably do this with any cable. Remember you will automatically lose some width moving from a vertical brim to a "knit in the round" cap body.

I`ll bet someone else out there has a tidier answer....Bueller????

Welcome back Cate!
Bets
12/29/2003 5:09:34 PM
why didn`t I buy that hat pattern when I saw it? Mousse-y

what the HECK is your name, anyhow? I just think of you as moussie! You are an awesome pattern sleuth!

Bets
12/29/2003 5:20:08 PM
Soft Hair is GONE ARgggh!
But you know, they have great yarns all the time here, that`s why we shop here! Any (mostly) wool yarn will work, as will mohair, so I`m sure one will pop up.

I am SOOOO glad your DGD loves her sweater...and at least your daughter didn`t pop it in the dryer, so that`s a start. And woefully sorry your DIL was not appreciative of your work. Maybe the heat will go out at her house. Maybe she`ll leave it at your house and you`ll send it to me.

Now, what to do with the rest of the Soft Hair you own? I found a Paton`s pattern (it was for Anna or Bella, one of those) for an elegant sweater (I`m in my 40s, so you know it`s not too racy) that I bought to make for my MIL (who is in her 70s). Also, there are some attractive free patterns for Positano that have a similar gauge, and they might work.

Ah, chin up kiddo, next year, buy her some crap from Target. Or Walmart. Or buy something on sale NOW.

We think your sweater is really the business!

Bets
12/29/2003 5:29:27 PM
GO PACKERS! Oh Patricia-
In the late 70s and early 80s I used to go drinking in Kenosha-my dad was born in Waukegan, I still have family in the upper IL region, have we crossed paths at Kristoff`s Beef and Bowl?
(Round Lake, I think)
(Actually, when he was 17-19, HE used to go drinking in Kensoha. What a legacy...!)

Rolling on the floor laughing, and hoping that Green Bay does well!

Bets
12/29/2003 5:32:03 PM
Looking for luxury laceweight yarns Keep your eyes open here Christine-I`ve seen 2 different lace-weight cashmeres here in the past year, and that`s just what I happen to notice.

Good luck!
B
12/30/2003 4:09:45 AM
Soft Hair is GONE The pattern I was thinking of is Katrina, from Patons. THAT is a pretty sweater! I got it here, have a look!

Bets
12/31/2003 4:10:07 AM
Soft Hair is GONE Hey-

That`s a pretty cute pattern! I think you should go with it!

Bets
12/31/2003 4:43:11 AM
Knitting plans for the New Year My plans for New Years-
If I buy something to knit up for a small child, I will try to complete the project before the child grows beyond the bounds of the quantity of yarn I have purchased.

I will try to finish up one UFO a month. I have several things that are a week away from being finished. I can DO this. If I can do this for 6 months, my guilt will be considerably diminished.

I will stretch my ideas of what to make-not everone needs a sweater.

I have a big stash-but I don`t want to be the little old lady whose treasures end up on e-bay as I`m getting dragged to the nursing home-I have many beautiful yarns, and I deserve nice things made from them.

This site is dangerous to my credit card...and so I think I will treat my yarn expenses as an expense, and just send elann a check every month. Splurges will no longer be splurges, they will be budgeted, right up there with groceries and gas money.

B
1/1/2004 8:24:02 AM
New Hi Julie-

Welcome welcome! Where in England are you from? Are you living near Cheyenne?

I`m in South Texas, which is REALLY a shame, because I can`t buy most of the lovely wools they have for sale here. Well, I can buy them ,but most of the time, it`s just too damned hot. I grew up in Chicago, and near Boulder, so I don`t miss the icicles, but I could stand for 6 weeks of 35-degree weather. My husband`s dog is an aging boxer (see bottom left photo), and mine is a 14-year old Peke, who I`m afraid won`t see 2005.

I am getting new knitting buddies rapidly, thanks to this site! You will too.

We`re interested in seeing what you`ve been doing...you can e-mail pictures in, and they`ll post them. It`s fun to see how differently people approach things.

We look forward to hearing from you!

B
New Hi Julie-

I`m in South Texas, which is REALLY a shame, because I can`t buy most of the lovely wools they have for sale here. Well, I can buy them ,but most of the time, it`s just too damned hot. I grew up in Chicago, and near Boulder, so I don`t miss the icicles, but I could stand for 6 weeks of 35-degree weather. My husband`s dog is an aging boxer (see bottom left photo), and mine is a 14-year old Peke, who I`m afraid won`t see 2005.

We`re interested in seeing what you`ve been doing...you can e-mail pictures in, and they`ll post them. It`s fun to see how differently people approach things.

B
New Hi Julie-

B
New Hi Julie-

B
1/1/2004 8:35:04 AM
Pointers on finding a pattern Darla, I downloaded a design software demo, and was able to come up with one. I guessed on some of the parameters, but if this makes sense to you, you might want to download the demo, and try it. (now that I review it, I see there are some errors, like the ribbing needle size, but you get the general idea) Using this demo, you can get schematics and whatever else you need.

Good luck!
B

KNITWARE SWEATER DESIGN

Waist length Straight Pullover with Ribbing
Set-in shoulder with Short Bell sleeves with Ribbing
Round (crew) front neck and Flat back neck with Single Band collar

Printed: 1/1/2004
Pattern File Name: X
Size: Standard Child 28 for *

Date started: 1/1/2004
Finished: *

YARN DESCRIPTION:
*Paton`s twister *

GAUGE DATA:
Gauge (Stocking Stitch over 4 in = 10 cm): 11.0 sts by 16.0 rows.
Body knit by hand on 10 mm needles
Ribbing knit by hand on 3.9 mm needles

FINISHED DIMENSIONS: (ins): ... with Moderate fit.
Chest: 30.1 Armhole: 13.0 Top Neck Opening: 5.8
Front Neck Width: 2.9
Sleeve Top: 10.1 Front Neck Depth: 2.6
Hem Width: 25.0 Sleeve Bottom: 14.1
Back Width: 12.1 Sleeve Length: 4.1
Body Length: 15.6 Hem Length: 0.8 Collar Length: 0.8
Hem Length: 2.0

BACK:
1. Cast on 36 sts on size 3.9 needles. Work in K1P1 ribbing for 2.0 ins. Inc 7 sts evenly across the row to 43 sts total.
2. Change to size 10 needles and Stocking Stitch. Work even until piece measures 7.0 ins (28 rows), excluding hem.
3. Armhole shaping. Cast off 2 sts at beginning of next 2 rows. Dec 1 st at each end of every alternate row for 4 rows until 35 sts remaining.
4. Work even until armhole measures 6.5 ins (26 rows).
5. Shoulder shaping. Cast off 10 sts at beginning of next 2 rows.
6. Total 56 rows (excluding hem) with 15 sts remaining for back of neck. Place sts on holder.

FRONT:
1-2 Follow steps 1 and 2 as for back.
3. Armhole. Dec for armhole at both ends, as for back. Continue until armhole measures 4.0 ins (16 rows), with 35 sts remaining.
4. Shape neck. Work both sides at the same time. Work 14 sts. Slip the next 7 sts to a holder. With a second ball of yarn, work remaining 14 sts. Dec 1 st at neck edge every row 4 times, until 10 sts remain.
5. Work even until armhole measures 6.5 ins (26 rows).
6. Shoulder shaping. Cast off as for back.

SLEEVES:
1. Cast on 41 sts on size 3.9 needles. Work in K1P1 ribbing for 0.8 ins.
2. Change to size 10 needles and Stocking Stitch.
3. Dec 1 st at each end of every 2nd row 6 times to 29 sts (12 rows total, excluding hem).
4. Work even until sleeve measures 3.3 ins (14 rows), excluding hem.
5. Shape cap. Cast off 2 sts at beg of next two rows. Dec 1 st at each end of every 2nd row 3 times, then dec 1 st at each end of every 3rd row twice, then dec 1 st at each end of every 2nd row 3 times. Cast off remaining 9 sts loosely.

LEFT SHOULDER SEAM:
1. Sew front to back along left shoulder seam.

ROUND (CREW) FRONT NECK SINGLE BAND COLLAR:
--- by hand on size 3.9 needles.
1. With right side of work facing, pick up and work 15 sts from back neck holder, 9 sts from left front neck edge, 7 sts from front neck holder and 9 sts from right front neck edge. Total 40 sts.
2. Work 0.8 ins (4 rows) in K1P1 ribbing.
3. Cast off loosely.

FINISHING:
1. Sew sleeve top to armhole, easing to fit. Sew side and sleeve seams using invisible seam. Sew any remaining seams.
2. Darn/weave/sew in all loose ends.

NOTES:

Pattern designed by: DEMO DEFAULTS
with KNITWARE DESIGN (Demonstration Version 2.40.2) from Morningdew Consulting Services Ltd, Victoria, BC CANADA
ph: (250)652-4097 fax: (250)652-5285 web: www.knitware.ca email: info@knitware.ca
1/1/2004 8:38:17 AM
Happy 2004, year of the Monkey, wahooo! Welcome back all you folks who`ve been busy knitting away for the holidays, and welcome all who are new to the site. So nice to hear from all of you!

B
1/2/2004 4:42:41 AM
Happy 2004, year of the Monkey, wahooo! Hey-

The rat and the monkey are REALLY good pals, so no worries. (Dragons and monkeys are our best friends!)

Bets
Who is a rat too
1/2/2004 5:03:39 AM
New Talking the leg off a donkey? Is that a talking donkey? Like in Shrek? Let`s make WAFFLES!!!!

Maybe your market IS Boulder? Buy your yarn here, knit it up, take it there and display it. Or Cheyenne, in the same store that carries Lucheses, or some high dollar hats and stuff. Or check with the wool board and see if they need a display for a convention or something. Arans should go nicely with Resistols.

But i know, I hate the beginner patterns in Vogue that call for a 100.00 worth of yarn. Who thought THAT was a good idea? How about stuff made out of really BUDGETY yarn for your local mercantile? (Not, holy sh!t, they put up a whole yarn section and priced the stuff out of reach at your local mercantile?? Probably in colors you hate, too!)

If you get a snapshot and mail it to elann, that will work. Perhaps you need to install the Lexmark, and then reboot your computer? (Maybe....)

It`s ok, Julie, we are gonna be here. We are here because we want to hear you, and don`t think I wouldn`t trade everything here to wake up and see the mountains first thing in the morning.

But we`re here, jump on in!

Bets
New Talking the leg off a donkey? Is that a talking donkey? Like in Shrek? Let`s make WAFFLES!!!!

Maybe your market IS Boulder? Buy your yarn here, knit it up, take it there and display it. Or Cheyenne, in the same store that carries Lucheses, or some high dollar hats and stuff. Or check with the wool board and see if they need a display for a convention or something. Arans should go nicely with Resistols.

But i know, I hate the beginner patterns in Vogue that call for a 100.00 worth of yarn. Who thought THAT was a good idea? How about stuff made out of really BUDGETY yarn for your local mercantile? (Not, holy sh!t, they put up a whole yarn section and priced the stuff out of reach at your local mercantile?? Probably in colors you hate, too!)

If you get a snapshot and mail it to elann, that will work. Perhaps you need to install the Lexmark, and then reboot your computer? (Maybe....)

It`s ok, Julie, we are gonna be here. We are here because we want to hear you, and don`t think I wouldn`t trade everything here to wake up and see the mountains first thing in the morning.

Bets

Bets

Bets
pages: First ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32... Last