bets - all messages by user

12/20/2003 5:44:45 AM
It looks fixed! Thanks, server genie! It seems much better now! Thanks!

Bets
12/20/2003 9:39:55 PM
Salsa Adult Hat Pattern Hi-
you`re right, it`s missing. The way I see it, you have 3 options-
a) Wait until the pattern is corrected
b) Draw a Greek Key in yourself-this shouldn`t be too hard
c) Use the grid that`s in place and draw up your own design. Initials might be good. It could end up looking better than the model!

Good luck, good skill!

Bets
12/22/2003 4:22:55 PM
Bah Humbug!! Martha-
I was in TEARS trying to finish both the sweater and stocking in time to mail them...and my mother in law`s sweater did NOT get done. Her birthday is in February and it`s a summery sweater, so that is OK. She crocheted an angel ornament for me the first year my husband and I dated, so I KNOW she appreciates the effort.

But do all appreciate? Some do. Those are the ones you continue to knit for. Some times I think it`s ridiculous to pay $$$ for ordinary scarves, but if they could care less, go to Hallmark next year and buy ornaments.

In the interim, go put some Christmas music on and build a cup of tea. If your kids are old enough, send them in to run the cookie factory. Please don`t forget to take pictures of your projects to show us, and I hope Santa Claus brings you a BOND USM.

Bets
12/22/2003 4:54:22 PM
knitting machine Judith,

For under 400.00, I think the Ultimate Sweater Machine/Incredible Sweater Machine will be your main choice, unless you have a dealer who can sell you a used one. Since many manufacturers have gone out of business, this might be a factor in spare parts, too.

The USM/ISM are VERY good at stockinette. Garter is impossible. I do`t like it for ribbing, but that`s me, it can be done. If you get one, GET the bed extension and the row counter. Just buy it now, the extra parts will be very useful. Even with the extra parts, you will still spend under 225.00, so you will have a lot of spare money for yarn.

Other things the BOND USM/ISM gives me trouble with-really bulky yarn (over size 10 needles) or heavily textured yarns. I don`t like it for mohair either. Anything lighter than DK is not all that great, either.

But, having said all that, I normally do my ribbing by hand, then slap it up on the machine. Drop sholders are easy as pie. I used mine this weekend, it just can`t be all things for all knitters.

Hope Santa brings you one!

Bets
Knitting Machine Judith,

For under 400.00, I think the Ultimate Sweater Machine/Incredible Sweater Machine will be your main choice, unless you have a dealer who can sell you a used one. Since many manufacturers have gone out of business, this might be a factor in spare parts, too.

The USM/ISM are VERY good at stockinette. Garter is impossible. I do`t like it for ribbing, but that`s me, it can be done. If you get one, GET the bed extension and the row counter. Just buy it now, the extra parts will be very useful. Even with the extra parts, you will still spend under 225.00, so you will have a lot of spare money for yarn.

Other things the BOND USM/ISM gives me trouble with-really bulky yarn (over size 10 needles) or heavily textured yarns. I don`t like it for mohair either. Anything lighter than DK is not all that great, either.

But, having said all that, I normally do my ribbing by hand, then slap it up on the machine. Drop sholders are easy as pie. I used mine this weekend, it just can`t be all things for all knitters.

Bets
knitting machine Judith,

Bets
knitting machine Judith,

Bets
12/22/2003 5:01:29 PM
Marion - your Araucania Cardigan Marion-
It is gorgeous. It`s good to know a pattern that translates well on a petite frame. You do beautiful work.

Betsy
12/22/2003 5:12:34 PM
My Christmas wish for you-and all of us I wish you peace, prosperity and good health, joy within your families and success at your vocation. Of course, that`s on every card I`ve received.

In addition to that, for all of us who have a fiber obsession, I wish for successful completion, a sense of accomplishment, and grateful recipients.

I wish for handmade things that turn people`s heads, that make them reach out to touch the article; I wish for boatloads of "oooooh!". I wish for stash reduction (don`t frown at me, Ann! we`ll be replenishing here!) and glorious knitted things that we are proud of.

I also wish for exactly the right yardage for every project, and the proper fit for every garment.

Most of all, I wish you joyous creativity.

Bets
12/23/2003 3:41:18 PM
Bah Humbug!! NOT SUCCINT!

but definitely to the point!

B
12/23/2003 3:48:47 PM
Salsa Adult Hat Pattern Dang-

I`m still lobbying for YOUR design improvement! Post a picture when you are done?

Bets
12/26/2003 9:33:30 PM
organic wool Corinna,
I`m asking this half tongue in cheek, and half out of curiosity-what makes organic wool "organic?"

Betsy
12/26/2003 9:43:02 PM
Donation Hi Lillian-
Can I ask for a few things in return?

First, can you send elann a picture of your knitting group? -it will make you more real to me. They can post it on this page. I`d like to see who I`m sending to. I`d like to see you ENJOYING it.

Secondly, if you could put in a new post every 2 months or so, that would help. I don`t always remember to scroll back 90 days to look to see if someone needs something. I just threw out a bag of things people gave me, so it will be a while before I go thru my stuff again. You need to be fresh in my mind!

Is there any type of yarn your groups uses frequently? (bedspread cotton, acrylic, etc?)

That should help ME remember you!

Bets
12/27/2003 3:20:47 PM
Donation Lillian, I found a bunch of Reynolds "synthetic" mohair- can that be useful for your group?

Betsy
12/27/2003 3:51:53 PM
Dyeing with food colors! (because I can`t leave well enough alone) If you`ve looked at this site, you may have seen some chatter about Soft Hair. This yarn was a really good deal-75% natural fiber for a pittance. Pat and I enabled each other to buy the heck out of it, and Scullyknits, my local knitting buddy also got some. She LOVED it, but was upset because only the white was left.

So that challenged me...I took two balls of white, and you can see the results. If you want to do this at home:
I soaked them in a vinegar/water solution...this requires some patience, because you need to get the WHOLE ball of yarn totally wet (I don`t own a swift)...perhaps 2 T of vinegar in 2 quarts of cool water. Then, I gently squeezed the water out. As this yarn comes in a "cake" form rather than a ball or skein, I was left with 2 soggy donuts of yarn. I got out a few old margerine tubs, dug out my Wilton food colors, and mixed some yellow and Christmas red with cool water in 2 separate tubs.

The best way to dye these donuts of yarn is to handle them like donuts, and dunk them (immerse them up to the "hole" in dye, just as you would a donut in coffee. (2 at a time is better, just for consistencies` sake) They should soak up the dye like crazy. Then flip them over and dunk the OTHER side in the other color.

Nuke on high on a glass pie plate for 8 minutes (or when you can`t press out any excess dye) Cool, and rinse with vinegar/water solution. They take FOREVER to dry.

White spots are ok, as are color overlaps, this is an art project, not a technical miracle. I knit it up on size 15 needles in a lacy stitch, and now I have an intensely feminine scarf to give to my mother.

Of course, be careful, don`t burn yourself, your mileage may vary....and all disclaimers, but mine was fun, inexpensive, and pretty.

Ta Da!
bets
12/28/2003 4:36:01 AM
Dyeing with food colors! (because I can`t leave well enough alone) Hi-

Actually, this whole Wilton thing is an offshoot of Kool-aid dyeing. I have felted footies I dyed in 1998 with cherry kool-aid, and as someone`s mom, you KNOW that`s colorfast. Knitter`s magazine came out with a whole article on kool-aid dying in about 1999. It`s fun, inexpensive and works well on protein fibers. Since you were looking for organic wools because of lowered environmental impact, for you, this is actually ideal. Kool-aid dyeing on wools requires no toxic chemicals (usually in a mordant to make the dye colorfast), no heavy salts, no complicated "gotta have a separate dyepot"; basically, you just nuke it until the dye is exhausted. I prefer the Wiltons because you can get a more vibrant, and larger range of colors, than you can from Kool-aid. Here`s a link, and I pretty well followed the same steps, but I did not was the yarn, and I did pre-treat with vinegar:
http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEfall02/FEATdyedwool.html

As far as color-fastness, well, my take on that is-it`s 4 bucks and some change. It will last a few seasons, which is enough for me. It`s a scarf, so it`s not like it gets washed every week with the socks and underwear. It can be redyed, but not in the microwave, because I`ve added that filament.

Like I said, it`s NOT a science, it`s a "the middle of a Saturday afternoon and I am feeling kinda froggy" art project. If you do have any wool/protein fiber scraps, test it out, see what you think. (your kids will want to help!)

Regards-
Bets
12/28/2003 4:44:40 AM
Dyeing with food colors! (because I can`t leave well enough alone) Oh sorry, I did not WASH the wool.

And in truth, would I do this for an entire sweater? No, probably not. I think it`s good for accessories, and those oddball skeins of yarn (I have) kicking around the house making my family nuts, that would otherwise wait until ?????? to be knit.

(Try it!)
B
12/28/2003 1:54:19 PM
Dyeing with food colors! (because I can`t leave well enough alone) Hi-

Bella, the yarn was Pingouin Soft Hair. Theresa, my secret drying trick was to put it in a lingerie bag (the 3 for 1.00 kind you can get a Dollar Tree) and spin THAT around. And actually, I didn`t spin it over my head, but at my side, like a vaudeville performer with a cane, if you must know. That helped, but the donuts still took FOREVER to dry.

And it took a good deal of housecleaning to get the red off my hands....gloves are good if you can remember them.

bets
12/28/2003 5:51:34 PM
photos of finished items Hey Michelle-

If you`ve finished something that you are pleased with, just email the photo in to elann using the directions in the upper left. We`d like to see it too!

Betsy
12/28/2003 8:48:39 PM
Dyeing with food colors! (because I can`t leave well enough alone) Aha! My chance to enable you, Patricia!

If you have any leftovers at all you can try it in the microwave. Just see what you think, and you can tack some on to your next order...since postage is high (at least for me).

How did your DGD`s sweater turn out by the way? You made that in pale pink, right? Try scraps of that with some deeper pink and maybe some blue, if you have a few yards left.

My eldest LOVED the Emu superwash sweater I made for my DGD-she says that every time she puts a handknit on that baby, someone raves. (Positive conditioning-"My mother makes great stuff!) I hope your DD thought your work was the cat`s meow!

A carrier yarn is a thread-like add-in that is made to be knitted with another yarn-it does not change the gauge at all, just gives the finished product a little ooomph. If you look closely (or if you are over 40, peer and squint, like me) you will see little shiny lines in the swatch. That`s my metallic carrier yarn-it`s something called Millelucci (thousand lights) that I knit in. It`s the first time I every really used any-normally, it seems to be kind of expensive for what is essentially, just plain THREAD-I`ve seen carriers go for 6.00 for 150 yards, and that seems a little steep, but if you are ever rumbling thru the sale bin at your LYS, you might luck out, as I did.

Waiting to hear the results of your `speriment!

Bets
pages: First ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31... Last