bets - all messages by user

12/9/2003 3:37:03 AM
DONE Would it be suitable to make up on a knitting machine? I have a Bond....hmmmm, what book is that out of again? And is it in garter st or stockingette? And how many stitches are cast on for the body? Hmmmm, maybe I need that book!

Bets
12/9/2003 3:41:02 AM
Theresa did you buy any of the Peruvian Collection Baby Cashmere Patricia, my fingers were poised over the BUY key on that last night. You recommend it? I got lil swatches, and I was looking at Eileen`s "moonlight at her window" pattern and REALLY considering. That needs 24 stitches per inch in seed stitch, and that baby cash looked appropriate. I was torn between the colors offered and todays (upcoming) alpaca silk blend!
12/9/2003 4:08:19 PM
hELP Patricia-

I went and looked at my knitting books, and well, I`m stumped! How about writing Colinette for clarification? There may be a link from their site....
Bets
HELP Patricia-

I went and looked at my knitting books, and well, I`m stumped! How about writing Colinette for clarification? There may be a link from their site....
Bets
Help Patricia-

Bets
Help Patricia-

Bets
Help Patricia-

Bets
12/9/2003 4:10:57 PM
I promise a picture soon Y`alls? Is that New Yorkese for you-uns? Hurry, my famous yarn picture required only 2 skeins, surely YOU can do better!

Laughing like crazy in TAY-HASS....
12/9/2003 4:21:54 PM
Theresa did you buy any of the Peruvian Collection Baby Cashmere Hi-

Well, seed stitch is SUPPOSED to be (can`t remember where I read it) wider than stockinette. The thing is, I knit SOOOOOO big, I am pretty sure I need sport weight or lighter to get 22 SPI, and certainly not on size 5 needles!

Bets
12/10/2003 2:40:12 AM
Theresa did you buy any of the Peruvian Collection Baby Cashmere Hi!
Ok, I was VERY disciplined...ordered ONE ball of each and some new needles...if I can`t make gauge on with THAT, I`m making a scarf!

Bets
12/10/2003 4:11:27 PM
Cuff questions Hi-

Gee, that`s a goofy set of directions, I think! I would think it would be easier to knit the inner cuff first in small yarn in rib, knit the last row on gigantor needles, then start with the furry yarn knitting 3 stitches together in garter stitch.

But maybe it`s done that way to compensate for the way knitting rolls and stretches. The inner cuff really should be cast on to measure 6" (or whatever) and then knit the cuff depth, just because the wearer will need the stretch to get it over hands and sleeves.

Any other thoughts?
Bets
12/10/2003 4:17:38 PM
Theresa did you buy any of the Peruvian Collection Baby Cashmere There are very few jaw-dropping sweaters out there-Eileen made one. I like everything about hers, except that it`s not in my closet! But maybe if I don`t get sidetracked, I can do it too!

Bets
12/10/2003 4:24:01 PM
Peruvian Hat Pattern And wasn`t there one on the cover of Vogue Knitting -I believe Fall/Winter 2002? But with all these free patterns, why bother! You guys are super sleuths!

B
12/11/2003 5:34:35 PM
Saw this article on CNN, I don`t see the problem... do you? I was the kid who would take the paperback reading assignment home and finish it that night. I am all FOR knitting in long meetings, seminars, etc. I guarantee I won`t be dying of boredom!

B
12/11/2003 5:36:28 PM
Please help, more zipper and sewing questions... bella-

If you will email me @ betsymamo@earthlink.net, I will send you a copy of this article.

Betsy
12/11/2003 5:40:06 PM
I have made a new knitter!! Bravo! Oh, I wish you had pulled that pastely girly yarn out of that box! Do NOT overspend, but how about those "cool" crystalline brightly colored needles I`ve seen at Michael`s. Coats & Clark, maybe?

Tell Timmy I`m proud of him for being such a good teacher!

B
12/11/2003 5:48:03 PM
knitty Oh mousse!

I am in serious trouble! I saw the Davy Crockett coonskin cap, and then today`s yarn du` jour, and I am SALIVATING!!!!! You are getting the enabler prize of the day! Go write your thesis!

B
12/11/2003 5:48:03 PM
Knitty Oh mousse!

I am in serious trouble! I saw the Davy Crockett coonskin cap, and then today`s yarn du` jour, and I am SALIVATING!!!!! You are getting the enabler prize of the day! Go write your thesis!

B
12/13/2003 9:54:36 PM
ebay yarn?? Hi Michelle-

The other folks have come up with a few EXCELLENT points-do try to familiarize yourself with the yarns you are looking at. Do a search elsewhere, and check a few places for price/color- a lot of times a color or a whole line will be discontinued.
Also, at this point, TRY to buy name brands, with the labels on. As you get more familiar with manufacturers, and what they offer, you can get more goodies. I`ve bought Colinette mill-ends off e-bay, and Cherry Tree Hill, as well as Crystal Palace. Most sellers are perfectly fine, but there are a few that I`d rather not buy from.
I likeBonnie`sCozyKnits, Toadal, and WildWestWools, and those just a few. I`ve never had anything but a straight-up deal from any of them.

Another thing to remember is - there`s a lot of it out there...I just went nuts looking for a few skeins of a Jaeger yarn, bought some in "the most tolerable color available" and then spent less 3 weeks later in a better color.

Happy bidding-
Bets
12/13/2003 10:05:02 PM
Done!!! Finished the Christmas stocking-whew! If anyone chooses to make the jester stocking from "Knit Christmas Stockings", there are a few things to note:

First, use smaller bells-I thought the ones in the illustrations looked dinky-I bought for sound quality, and didn`t think about the weight. I`m sure I`ll be replacing them after the holidays. Big ones make the stocking sag.

Next- the pattern called for a 4" cuff, then a turn, then a 2" band of the same color....so you cover up the first few stripes. I`d suggest a 3" cuff.

These instructions are very straightforward.

Deadlines are approaching!

Bets
pages: First ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29... Last