bets - all messages by user

10/28/2003 7:28:53 PM
Who have You taught to knit? Who have I taught that wasn`t enthralled? Everyone. I remember about 3 years ago, standing in a group of airmen in Germany-they were SOOOO puzzled because I was making socks (think of them as little foot sweaters!) and I asked them what they did in their spare time-video games. I explained that it was the same amount of time, I just had a sock to show for it. I wish they`d listened, one of them is in jail for murder now.

I`ve taught both daughters, and only the younger is even remotely inclined. Both of them won prizes at fairs in Alaska, but my oldest still seems to think it`s for the poor. (Oh, if she knew what yarn cost!) They will pitch in if I have the Bond out, tho. "Mother is always right" they just don`t know it yet. I can`t wait-I hope the eldest goes away to a college where it`s the cool thing to do! She may see the light yet.
10/28/2003 8:23:42 PM
Took the plunge Dear Eileen the bargain hunter-

Check Bonnie`s Cozy Knits-she`s a seller on e-bay that usually carries Noro at reasonable prices.
b
10/31/2003 6:42:09 PM
ecasey, Freda, bets........ Gregg-
If I can help your stash in anyway, please speak up. I have plenty to share.
Bets
10/31/2003 10:08:33 PM
I`m baacck from TKGA! Hi all, I just got back from TKGA in Houston. Hmmm, very interesting. I learned a lot-I took a designer workshop (how to get your stuff published) and a slip stitch workshop with Barry Klein of Trendsetter.

Kathleen Power Johnson taught the designer workshop-`member the turquoise "counterpane" shell in Knitter`s a few years back? That was her. She`s done a lot of stuff, and she gave us the basic how-tos. Hmmm, I think I can give this a try. If you get a chance to take a class from her, you should.

Barry Klein-now that was a fun workshop-I signed up for his just because there was no point in taking a 400 mile round trip drive for just one day, so I had his class this morning.

I am the Queen of Cheap, and also spent 20 years in the military, so I favor very boring clothes (but wild socks!) so I got to play with a lot of yarns I would never ordinarily buy-they are both spendy and flashy! So I did, and in the process, learned a few tricks to REALLY stretch these yarns-more impact for less money, I guess!

The yarn market-held the same week as the International Quilt Festival (I almost went there too, but I can have too many hobbies to accomplish a darn thing!) was quiet-less than a dozen vendors. This was not necessarily bad, tho, because Interlacements was there, and boy, do THEY have some fun stuff at very reasonable prices!

General impression-nice hotel, good classes, still managed to spend 150.00 at the market-I understand the Nationals is in Atlanta next Spring, consider going!
10/31/2003 10:09:43 PM
I`m baacck from TKGA! ooohh, bad grammar, sorry all!
11/2/2003 1:02:31 AM
I`m baacck from TKGA! Hi-
I`ve been weighing that same bit over in my mind, and asking myself the same question. The designer workshop was worth my time and money, because now I KNOW, and you don`t find that information in a book.

As far as the slipped stitch course with the Trendsetter guy---was it worth 65.00 (a whole sweater!) to swatch out 4 copy-right free patterns? I could have bought 4-5 balls of Trendsetter yarn and just done that at home, but that`s the whole point-I never would have. I`ve owned books containing similar patterns for years, and NEVER sat down to do them, and I flinch at the thought of buying a 15.00 ball of yarn. The other thing that`s invaluable is that you get to see how other people approach this same set of patterns, and look at their swatches. I saw people VERY carefully picking out their yarns, and then the final project didn`t look so great because of what they chose. I, on the other hand, knitted up swatches in yarns and colors I would not ordinarily use ON PURPOSE, because I knew I wouldn`t ever buy them, but still got the chance to touch and see. Result? Ask for Trendsetter Dolce/Dolcino ribbon yarn for Christmas, even a few skeins, because THAT is beautiful stuff.

Was it expensive? Yes. Did I go beyond what my normal limit is? Yes. I have friends that trade Spurs tickets back and forth to go to several games a season-I`ve never been, so this must be my equivalent. It`s a university class for my craft. I never get my hair professionally colored, we rarely go out to eat, I don`t do squat to my nails, and my car is a base model. I`d say I saved enough to earn the right to go to class. The only thing I`d suggest you do is take the classes that challenge you.

Does that help you puzzle it out?

I think TKGA East is in Atlantic City next year, you should check on that, and take a class (with Eileen, of course!)
11/2/2003 2:38:30 AM
Not related to knitting at all... I went to see Radio tonight, the movie with Cuba Gooding, Jr. Highly recommended! No nudity, 1 swear word, no rude surprises that make you sink down in your chair and wish you hadn`t brought your children. But you could take your mother-in-law too. This is an excellent movie, and if C. Gooding doesn`t win an Oscar for this, then it`s rigged.
B
11/2/2003 9:33:15 AM
I`m baacck from TKGA! Patricia,

I adore you, I have been searching all morning!
B
11/2/2003 10:36:10 AM
chat center Hi Esther,

It sounds as if you are in the UK! Welcome, and tell us what you are working on this week!

Bets
11/2/2003 2:18:31 PM
Not related to knitting at all... Hi Gregg, how are you feeling? Have you started your series yet?

That movie was GOOD! The only thing we had issues with were the automobiles. The era was right, but they were too beat-up for a time when they were supposed to be new. Or according to my husband, his dad bought that same 1978 Chevy brand new! (The movie took place in 1976.)

If you want to be entertained, go see it.
11/2/2003 2:21:52 PM
I`m baacck from TKGA! I guess this is the REALLY expensive part of the class...they`ve set the hook and are reeling me in. I`ve been looking at Trendsetter yarn all day now. (No, really, I KNOW how to stretch one ball of fancy into a whole yoke and cuffs!) This is killing me, and maybe I`ll wait a few weeks, and keep checking on e-bay.
11/2/2003 2:32:09 PM
Anyone felting any holiday gifts? Hi Cheryl-

I`ve seen a few patterns at my LYS that I think are cute, but mine would rather eat dog dirt than use something I made! I think Fibertrends has a few, tho.

I`ve been turning this idea around in my head today, and I may have to try it out.

I`d like to crochet a granny-square swatch in a few different colors to see how it reacts when you felt it up! There are sooo many crochet things out right now, and it could be really cute.

Bets
11/2/2003 2:35:48 PM
chat center Hi Esther,

What part of France are you from? That was my mistake! (Ooops, did not mean to offend!) I think it was the combination of Kaffe Fassett samples and Fair Isle that gave me that impression.
11/2/2003 2:44:58 PM
Help-I am smitten with an ugly yarn!!! Hi-
One of the new yarns I saw was called Safari. So help me I WANT a skein, but have no earthly idea what I would do with it, it`s just cool yarn!
http://www.yarnware.com/Web/Yarnware/Yarnware.nsf/AllbyDocID/4632DAA04AB00F8D85256DBE00823C90!OpenDocument
is a link for it, and I hope that gets you there. I am in love with the orange, am not a "foufy" girl, can`t even WEAR orange, but if someone can help me come up with a good use for this yarn, I could readily pony up 12.50 for a hank. (Only one, tho, because I don`t even like polyamid yarns!) Any good enablers out there? Patricia?
11/2/2003 8:25:27 PM
Anyone felting any holiday gifts? Hi-

I tried a swatch of worsted weight yarn and a size K hook-not a good combo. This one is way too holey. I might have to look for a smaller hook.

Bets

B
11/2/2003 8:27:47 PM
Help-I am smitten with an ugly yarn!!! Hi-
Crud, I was hoping you`d come up with a really GOOD reason for me to buy this. You bought 30 skeins of orange Lily? yipes! Hope they do like it!

Bets
11/3/2003 2:30:45 AM
I`m baacck from TKGA! But wait, didn`t you just get your kitchen re-done? (Thanks for making meal prep sound like a grand feat-does the fact that pork loin was 1.99 per lb make up for the fact that I`m going to spend a ridiculous amount of cash on 70 meters of yarn?)

Yarn Junkie Betsy
11/4/2003 3:20:48 AM
Term? Hi-
It`s frequently used in British patterns. It`s usually somewhere in the neighborhood of 22 stitches = 4", and the needle size will be about a 5/6 (US).
11/4/2003 3:25:03 AM
Knitting Needles I generally use the ones that Walmart was closing out when they moved stores, and decided no one knit, so they marked them all at .25 -then they went out and got more of the same!! Cheap, but they do make that frosted aluminum "skritch" noise (Ugghh!) Like my addis, like my Pryms, and inherited all my Grandma`s plain aluminum ones too. I was at my MIL`s and happened to notice some REALLY old addi turbos-she bought them when my husband was an infant!
B
11/4/2003 3:25:03 AM
Knitting Needles I generally use the ones that Walmart was closing out when they moved stores, and decided no one knit, so they marked them all at .25 -then they went out and got more of the same!! Cheap, but they do make that frosted aluminum "skritch" noise (Ugghh!) Like my addis, like my Pryms, and inherited all my Grandma`s plain aluminum ones too. I was at my MIL`s and happened to notice some REALLY old addi turbos-she bought them when my husband was an infant!
B
pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25... Last