bets - all messages by user

6/23/2003 6:35:58 PM
Austermann Zoom Actually, how are you built? If you are slender, go for hip to shoulder, dark to light. I have a thick tummy, and was gonna go vertical, because I do NOT need another ring around my middle! I`ll have the white part on my good-looking side! ;-) So it depends on you!
6/25/2003 3:36:25 PM
Austermann Zoom Hi-

I prefer natural fibers, but every so often, I step off that platform. I`m using the black and white, on the 4 skein sweater, and I just swatched it, then went and wandered off on another project (wool and silk, if you want to know). In my case, I like the white, but the dark is kind of....hazy. I think that`s normal tho, I`ve used other yarns, commonly synthetics, where the white feels significantly different than the dyed versions. Chalk it up to the dye and the process.

So did you decide on a horizontal or a vertical split?

Being a cotton fan, did you try the varigated dk Elann cotton? I rather like it! I bought an ombre and a multi-color, and I like them!
Bets
6/25/2003 3:36:25 PM
Austermann Zoom Hi-

I prefer natural fibers, but every so often, I step off that platform. I`m using the black and white, on the 4 skein sweater, and I just swatched it, then went and wandered off on another project (wool and silk, if you want to know). In my case, I like the white, but the dark is kind of....hazy. I think that`s normal tho, I`ve used other yarns, commonly synthetics, where the white feels significantly different than the dyed versions. Chalk it up to the dye and the process.

So did you decide on a horizontal or a vertical split?

Being a cotton fan, did you try the varigated dk Elann cotton? I rather like it! I bought an ombre and a multi-color, and I like them!
Bets
6/26/2003 3:39:12 AM
Austermann Zoom Hi-

No. you are right-silk adds a cool crispy quality to yarn. Almost squeaky! If you read any fiber descriptions, tho, that`s what it will tell you about silk!

I`m using an 80% wool, 20% silk blend right now, and making a sweater for my husband. I found a good buy on a bunch of it on e-bay. I tried Noro`s Silk Country, which was also a good buy on e-bay that day, and I liked it (88%).

If you want it to look silky, tho, you are right, don`t buy silk. Rayon or polyamid will do the trick there.

I suggest you buy some to use in conjunction with another yarn-for stripes or intarsia, perhaps, and see what you think.

B
6/26/2003 3:39:12 AM
Austermann Zoom Hi-

No. you are right-silk adds a cool crispy quality to yarn. Almost squeaky! If you read any fiber descriptions, tho, that`s what it will tell you about silk!

I`m using an 80% wool, 20% silk blend right now, and making a sweater for my husband. I found a good buy on a bunch of it on e-bay. I tried Noro`s Silk Country, which was also a good buy on e-bay that day, and I liked it (88%).

If you want it to look silky, tho, you are right, don`t buy silk. Rayon or polyamid will do the trick there.

I suggest you buy some to use in conjunction with another yarn-for stripes or intarsia, perhaps, and see what you think.

B
6/26/2003 3:54:17 AM
Ebay stuff Hi-

I`ll give Bonniescozyknits a HUGE thumbs up. SKAPTAN from Turkey is a pretty decent seller (lots of Lion Brand comes from Turkey), and Juliepoolie is good too.

Bfuria drives me nuts, because there`s no function to search while AVOIDING a seller. It`s obvious she is selling mill ends, but it drives me nuts because she has these HUGE graphics which take FOREVER (we`re on dial-up), she can`t name her fiber contents (because who wants to pay a premium on mill end synthetics? Not me!), she won`t spend 28.00 on a yarn scale to help her guesstimate yardage-I wrote her about that 6 months ago, and she said she was trying, but since she still doesn`t list it, I guess she didn`t buy it. I also don`t need a straight 8 oz of anything without having a good idea of the yardage. That, and "slky-feeling" or "angora-look" don`t sway me, I want a few facts please.

IMHO-
Bets
6/26/2003 3:57:37 AM
Ebay stuff Oh, yes, and thumbs up for Toadal, too!
6/26/2003 7:13:23 PM
Search Ebay excluding seller! (very long) That is a tip I can use. I try to avoid certain sellers like crazy!

Thanks-
B
6/26/2003 7:16:00 PM
I`ve corraled my stash!!!!!! My ex`s lil brother used to be the waterboy for-Duke, I think. In the `80s. One of those Ooooolllllld families from the area. Always scared I`m gonna run into an ex-relative in R/D

B
6/29/2003 8:09:43 PM
Valeria di Roma Capri cardigan Hi-

I`m NOT German, but I`ve spent a lot of time trying to figure out German pattern books. I finally hit on the idea of buying a "learn to knit" book in German, and THAT made it much easier.

What that would mean literally to me is K1, *YO, K2 tog*. Which makes no sense if it`s a ribbing stitch, because that would make it quite lacy. Does match the photo? I`m going to look at the Capri page now....
B
6/30/2003 8:21:58 PM
Valeria di Roma Capri cardigan Thanks Carola, if I ever make one thing in each book I bought while I was stationed there, I might use up my yarn! Between the schematics, which are pretty clear, and my book, which REALLY helped, I`m ok for now, but I`ll remember to keep you in mind! Let us know how the sweater comes out!
7/1/2003 8:16:54 PM
twisted ribbon Uh-oh. I bought some of this on e-bay. I know this sounds a little goofy, but does it change any if you freeze it? (I`m pulling that out of my back pocket!) I`m up for any better ideas, because mine`s still in little skeins!
7/1/2003 8:21:39 PM
Austermann Zoom I think it will be like wearing a shower scrubbie! I hope I`m wrong!

B
7/1/2003 8:21:39 PM
Austermann Zoom I think it will be like wearing a shower scrubbie! I hope I`m wrong!

B
7/4/2003 5:51:31 AM
Suggestions anyone? Well you could always download sample software from knitware and STILL design your own.....faster
7/4/2003 6:02:29 AM
Christmas ideas-easy lace scarf???? Oh, what the heck, you know it`s coming any day now. I personally need an easy peasy pretty SIMPLE lace pattern for that lace-weight cashmere they had here about 6 months ago. I dyed with with Wilton colors, and need to find a stitch pattern that has about a 4 row repeat. Lace is kind of a pain because it`s slow going (because of the gauge) and I get distracted by quicker projects, then I come back and can`t remember where I`m at. I have 3 elderly aunts in Tokyo, and I`d like to make them all scarves.
7/4/2003 6:07:44 AM
Suggestions anyone? now that I think about it-I`ve got this ollldddd mid-80s leaflet for a shell from Finn-Time (Ok, and I bought it when it was new) with a cap-sleeve, U neck, and 2.5" ribbing that is always good for a quick project. (I love this pattern so much, I bought it once in the 80s, and once again 2 years ago...it`s just USEFUL!) A good summer top!

B
7/4/2003 8:54:22 PM
mntknitr.............. So what sweater in which book? I can always use a good idea for a guy`s sweater?

I`m making my husband "the Great Divide" in the latest Knit `n Style. I`m using a wool/silk Austermann blend for the main yarn, and Kureyeon for the contrast blocks. I`m not nuts about the color run-I`ve got a sprucey green tweed as a main color, and 1 ball of autumn red/gold/green/brown, and one ball of brown/taupe/grey for the other, and they kind of checkerboard across the front of the sweater, but it looks ok, and he honestly won`t care because I`m planning a shawl collar, and it`s green, so all is well.
7/5/2003 3:36:28 PM
mntknitr.............. Oh, I did butt in, didn`t I? I feel like a dork! Wait, no I am a dork!

Kaffe does design some nice sweaters, it`s the concept of the bobbins that gets me. If you READ his work, he talks about winding up that magic ball, but when you flip to the chart, it`s a whole `nother story! (They have to sell that yarn, I guess)
I have to do the same adjustments for my husband, you seem to be about the same size. I look for plain parts in the sleeve, and just do an extra 2.5" and that takes care of it. This current project, I cast on for the small, and just inc to the medium on my way up, but mine is simple, and doesn`t require a chart every row.

Glad you are feeling better-
B
7/5/2003 3:49:59 PM
Christmas ideas-easy lace scarf???? Thanks Fran, I`m head over to the CP website! I had planned to do seasons-spring, fall and winter for the 3 aunts, and three different stitch patterns, but sat down to try one, and holy %#$^! is that little pattern hard to keep up with (It had about an 8 row repeat!) I just wanted something that could go to the doctor`s, or lunchtime at work, and live in my car; a port-a-project. The yarn itself was nice, but then again, I haven`t had much experience with lace, either.

I don`t think the aunts would even LIKE fringe, as they are all 60 and up, and would want something that looks classy. Besides the cashmere, I also have TONS of Opal sock yarn, so I think that would be good for all my hard-wearing family and friends.

I don`t remember the yardage on the yarn, I just remember it took FOREVER to wind in a ball!

Getting ready to hop over and check it out! Thanks-
Betsy
pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25... Last