Messages in this topic - RSS
2/28/2013 2:59:55 AM
julietpereira2002
julietpereira2002
Posts 2
Hi,

I want to knit this. But I am a bit confused on the instructions like :
Cell Stitch (mltpl 3)
R1 (and all other WS): Purl for rows, knit for rounds ---- what does mean?????
R2: k2tog, yo, k1
R4: yo, k1, k2tog

Also I will be using a dk 8 ply as apposed to the yarn recommended in the pattern which is Peruvian Sierra Aran. Do you think DK could be used for this pattern? Would appreciate your help here.

Thanks in advance.
2/28/2013 7:12:11 AM
maggie
maggie
Posts 58
Hi Juliet,

I'll take a look at the pattern for you and let you know later today. You can also email me at customerservice@elann.com if you run into any other questions.

All my best,
Maggie
2/28/2013 8:12:21 AM
maggie
maggie
Posts 58
Hi Juliet,

I looked over the Top Down Ballet Wrapped Sweater for you. I believe Michelle simply copied the pattern for the Cellular Stitch straight from Barbara Walker's Second Treasury of Knitting. The instruction for purling on the wrong side would be if you were using this pattern on the project knit back and forth on straight needles.

You also mentioned you wanted to knit this pattern using a DK weight yarn instead of the aran called for in the pattern. The 2 basic calculations we need are the ratio of stitches and rows when we compare the yarn called for in the pattern versus your chosen yarn. For example, let’s say the pattern gauge is 22 sts and 30 rows per 10cm. The yarn we have has a gauge of 25 sts and 33 rows per 10cm.

1. Calculate the ratio of stitches as your gauge ÷ pattern gauge:

25 ÷ 22 = 1.136

2. Calculate the ratio of rows as your gauge ÷ pattern gauge:

33 ÷ 30 = 1.1

So, whenever the pattern calls for X number of stitches or rows, you multiply the figure by your ratio to get the number you need. For example, the pattern says cast on 70 stitches, instead you perform our calculation:

70 x 1.136 = 79.52

So you would cast on 79 or 80 stitches. Generally, stick with an even number if the pattern calls for an even number and vice-versa if it calls for an odd number, so here you would cast on 80 stitches.

If the pattern uses measurements, such as continue until piece measures 10cm, you simply keep knitting until you achieve the measurement. However if it specifies continue for 20 rows, you perform your row calculation:

20 x 1.1 = 22

Let me know if this helps!

All my best,
Maggie
2/28/2013 2:01:16 PM
julietpereira2002
julietpereira2002
Posts 2
Thanks heaps Maggie. You have explained well. I will give it a go and come back to you if I run into trouble.
pages: 1
HomeGeneral ChatTop Down Ballet wrap sweater