Posts 67
Fibre Content: 50% Wool/ 50% Cotton
Made In: China
Care: Machine Wash, Cold, Gentle/ Dry Flat
Knit: 20 st/4 inches 4.0mm (US 6)
Yardage: 100 m (109 yards)
Size: 50g (1.75 oz) ball
Price: US$2.78

A perfect balance of wool and cotton for easy care, softness, and superb drape - this worsted weight feels like cotton next to the skin, but knits like wool!

Standard price for this yarn is US$6.95 - elann.com discounted price saves you as much as 60%!

Unblocked, Blocked and Ravelry link

(unblocked - on left - and blocked - on right)
unblocked blocked

This was a joy to knit. It definitely knits up like a wool, but you can feel the cotton in it. That being said, comments are not great. Lots of knots and shedding/pilling.

It is very soft. It might help with the shedding to knit at a tighter gauge, but I really like the fabric I got on the suggested needle size. And I hit gauge! Unfortunately, not even 15 seconds of fiercely rubbing the swatch together brought up a nice, big old pill.

The yarn is made up of what looks like four singles plied together, which would account for the pilling. And although the 4 plies have a nice twist, the singles don’t have much twist at all. Another reason for the pilling/shedding.

I had no problems with the frogging. The hand was lovely and stretchy for a 50/50 blend. My fingers didn’t hurt at all after knitting this. And even though it might shed, I couldn’t break it by hand to save my soul. (Yeah, well, my soul could use saving, at times.)

There are plenty of lovely colors. It’s soft to the point of pilling, but knit it tighter and you might fare better. I was going to get some, until I started reading the comments. Reading through the notes on project pages shows more love for this yarn. Lots of comments about wonderful stitch definition and cabling. Not many comments on wear, though.

Now I’m on the proverbial fence. Do I buy or no?

Notes:
- US6 (4mm) metal
- Unblocked gauge: 20s/3.75”, 7rpi
- Blocked gauge: 20s/4”, 8rpi
- Frogged well
- Did not split stitches
- Will pill
- Very soft
- Between a DK and Worsted weight at suggested needle/gauge.
pages: 1
HomeProduct ChatTues, 4/24 - Elsebeth Lavold Cool Wool