Messages in this topic - RSS
4/10/2012 6:16:34 AM
duckbunni
duckbunni
Posts 67
Fibre Content: 84% Cotton/ 16% Nylon
Made In: Italy
Care: Hand Wash/ Dry Flat
Knit: 13 st/4 inches 7.0mm-8.0mm (US 10.5-11)
Yardage: 60 m (65 yards)
Size: 50g (1.75 oz) ball
Price: US$2.25

Cotton blend, quick-knitting bulky weight ribbon yarn in a fun palette of variegated colorways!

Standard price for this yarn is US$7.50 - elann.com discounted price saves you as much as 70%!

Unblocked, Blocked and Ravelry Link (even if only two people have it stashed and there is only one project)

Not sure why they call it a ribbon yarn, as it’s really a tube that’s flattened in the process of skeining it. And it twists and turns all around while you’re trying to knit with it. It had a few good qualities: it frogged well and it doesn’t split. Since you use gigantic needles, it’s not easy to snag this stuff either, as the tube is knitted at a very tiny gauge. Unless you decide to use lace tips, then you may have a problem.

You can see what I mean at the top of the Unblocked picture. If you snagged this, post completion of a project, it would be mighty difficult to fix, as you’d be snagging the knitted tubing, not necessarily a whole stitch.

While knitting, all I felt was the nylon. Had to actually go looking for fiber content to see if it had something else in it. The unblocked swatch was a bit looser, but oddly enough, really didn’t make a difference in gauge after blocking.

I’m certain there is a place for this yarn in someone’s stash. It just won’t be mine. The fabric is lumpy, bumpy and stitches end up uneven with these “ribbon-type” tube yarns. The short/long color repeats (yep, this had both) makes for weird splotches. Although, if you wanted to knit a snow leopard costume or dalmatian costume, the colorway I received might do the trick.

Notes:
- US 11 (8mm) plastic, blunt tips
- Unblocked gauge: 13s/3.5”, 4.5rpi
- Blocked gauge: 13s/3.5”, 5rpi (the cotton plumped but didn’t make the swatch any wider, just a little shorter! Weird, huh?)
- Frogged fine
- Lumpy, uneven end fabric
- Flattened, knitted tube “ribbon-type” yarn
- Was easy to knit and fast.
- Didn’t pill
- Can feel the cotton postblock, not really soft
pages: 1
HomeProduct ChatTues, 4/10 - Gedifra Licati