Messages in this topic - RSS
3/20/2012 7:01:02 AM
duckbunni
duckbunni
Posts 67
Fibre Content: 90% Cotton/ 10% Nylon
Made In: Romania
Care: Hand Wash/ Dry Flat
Knit: 15 st/4 inches 5.0mm-6.0mm (US 8-10)
Yardage: 60 m (65 yards)
Size: 50g (1.75 oz) ball
Price: US$2.38

Unique braided construction creates a stunning cotton fabric!

Preview a total of 11 designs for Satata available now!
Standard price for this yarn is US$7.95 - elann.com discounted price saves you as much as 70%!

Unblocked & Blocked

This was a strange one for me. Although it has 90% cotton, it felt much like knitting up a 100% manmade. That 10% nylon is all I felt. The braided chainette construction makes a fabric that looks very much like terry cloth. If I wanted to knit a bathrobe, this would by my yarn (of course, it would be a really expensive bathrobe, unless I made it pretty short). The hand on this was actually quite nice, as the braided construction gave the cotton some give.

This particular braided construction is much like icord, but the yarn is flat, like a ribbon yarn and I couldn’t just unchain it, like I’ve been able to with other chained construction yarns. On big needles, with blunt tips, I had no problems with it catching on the chainettes. It happened only once, on the BO, no less.

Because of the braided feature, it’s impossible to break. I don’t think pilling will be a factor at all, but I do foresee the possibility of snagging and not being able to coax the snag back into place. That would be because the snag would happen in a bit of the braided chain, not with the whole stitch, thereby making it impossible to just play with the stitches on either side of the snag to take up the extra.

The fabric I ended up with was a bit loose and did grow in blocking, which meant I didn’t hit gauge (either before or after!). But seeing what my swatch did with blocking, I know now that I’d have to go down in size to hit gauge and get a fabric that was a bit firmer.

Lace would get lots in this, as would intricate patterns. If you have a bulky cardi pattern, calling for a cotton blend, and don’t mind the look of terrycloth, you could use this one. I suspect it might make a nice summer cardi, and I’d even be tempted to use a looser gauge then (I know, I just contradicted myself), otherwise the weight will make it sag.

Anyone expecting a grandchild could use this for burp cloths or bibs, knit at a tight gauge. The cotton/nylon blend would be easy care! And since gauge wouldn’t be an issue with those type items, I’d throw it in the washer/dryer, too, even though care says to handwash/lay flat dry. Just ton’t tell anyone I mentioned that part, ok?

Notes:
- US 10 plastic with really blunt tips
- Unblocked gauge: 15s/3.75”, 5rpi
- Blocked gauge: 15s/4.25”, 5.5rpi
- Won’t break
- Won’t pill
- Could snag and not be easily fixed
- Soft enough, with a terry cloth texture
- Easy on the hands
pages: 1
HomeProduct ChatTues, 3/20 - Gedifra Satata